Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Understood. We shall not tarry, waldman's heil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
19TH DIVISION - DEPLOYMENT ORDERS
Gentlemen, I will outline our role in this coming triumph. BRIGADIERS, PLEASE SELECT WHERE YOU WOULD LIKE YOUR UNITS TO PARTICIPATE BASED ON INFORMATION BELOW, OUR INITIAL ORDERS WILL DIVIDE OUR DIVISION INTO TWO COLUMNS, WHICH WILL DETERMINE YOUR POSITION IN STAGE 2!

As you can see, we are going to march down the NAINVILLE ROAD. Afterwards we shall split into two forces.

COLUMN 1:
- Orient yourselves to face CROISSANT, and reform into a battle formation outside the outlined firing range from the town, with contingency orders in case you encounter enemy vanguard ahead of reaching the town (unlikely?). I'd prefer it if you deployed within the blue box - formations with some depth are preferred to very wide, but thin lines. Employ cavalry scouting at your liberty.
- You will support the 43rd division in its assault, if necessary. I'd like to ask Herr aphid for his marching distances prior to reaching the shooting perimeter of CROISSANT, so we can synchronize our attacks to proceed simultaneously
-Following the fall of Croissant, you shall pivot to the lower blue box, and assume positions in its western half.

COLUMN 2:
- As you march, deploy cavalry scouts to the marked position at Baguende. Propose the most efficient path at your will.
- You will not join the fighting at Croissant unless necessary.
- Instead, move to assume positions in the eastern half of our final deployment box.

AFTER STAGE ONE:
-We will support the 43rd in its assault by securing its flanks and closing up avenues of French tactical redeployment. This will mean attacking either through the opening south of Croissant, or against the Clemenceau town, depending on available information about enemy disposition).
-Depending on the COLUMN in which a brigade deployed, it can therefore expect different levels of engagement in stage 2 - e.g. in case of heavy fighting in the west, COLUMN 1 will probably be first to enter into a firefight.

ADDITIONAL TASKS FOR BRIGADIERS:
- As I said, pick the column where you want to be deployed. First come, first serve. Please coordinate with your partner within your column about your particular placement within your zones.
- COLUMN 1 should be given priority in entering the road, they have more stuff to do ASAP
- Unless Corps command intervenes, I will allow you to draft your own artillery placement, and post it for approval. (I'm doing this to give you something to play with, rather than out of laziness, so please ask for assistance if you need anything).

DIVISIONAL RESERVES ALLOCATION
COLUMN 1:
- 1 cavalry
- 1 engineer
- 1 cavalry MG
- 1 cavalry artillery
- 6 field gun batteries
- 4 10 cm batteries

COLUMN 2:
- 2 cavalry
- 6 field gun batteries
- 2 engineers

IN CASE OF QUARRELS AMONG BRIGADIERS FOR CONTROL OF THESE ASSETS, I'LL MAKE THE FINAL DECISION.

HQ ORDERS
Move at the tail of the division to be provisionally stationed inside Nainville (or start there, if possible).

BRIGADES - FINAL ALLOCATION
COLUMN 1:
- The Sandman - 1 cavalry, 1 horse artillery, 1 horse MG, 1 engineer, 3 field guns, 2 10 cm guns
- Ikasuhito - 3 field guns, 2 10 cm guns

COLUMN 2:
-NastyToes - 1 cavalry, 1 engineer, 3 field guns
-Covski - 1 cavalry, 1 engineer, 3 field guns

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 15, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

quote:

Hello? Yes, hello? Is this the French field telephone? How splendid! Would you kindly get me the corps commander? Yes?

Hello? This is Ze Germans. We are calling to confirm the receipt of leaflets and we wanted to say gently caress you very much. We could have answered in kind, but there is this awkward fact that you lot can't read. You are also ugly. We are informed that your collective wives are of a Cricetinaeid persuasion, no doubt causing problems for your prospective offspring down the line. We also hear you personally, kind Sir, broadcast olfactory sensations of sambucus, but this we shall verify when the day is done and you're safe as our guest.

If you would kindly switch us to your field 2600 baud fax, that would be wonderful, we have an image to send.

One moment...

Good night and die in a fire.

Someone tell me if this is humorous before I approve it for dispatch

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

An updated guide to brigadiers for writing orders (and sorting out a few existing complexity vs playability issues) will appear tomorrow.

In the meantime, everyone should check my rules posts again, thoroughly, and get any remaining questions out now. I'm surely not the first person to underestimate the amount of changes that needed to be made after playtesting and I've been tweaking and experimenting and re-experimenting and re-tweaking in response to test results and player questions, unfortunately without keeping a proper changelog (it would have drowned the thread in me if I'd made a new post for every change). But yeah, stuff's changed, most of it not drastically, but lots of it will affect which orders you give and how.

In particular I am thinking very hard about the whole question of conditional orders and automatic responses; somewhere in there is the balance I'm looking for between giving you the freedom to be cool and imaginative, and making the game impossible to adjudicate from drowning in "if X, then Y; if A, then B; if L and a little P comes out, IHOP; but I before E except after C at all times when you hold a half fizzbin" constructions all tailored to each individual brigade, either because of orders that end up butting against the rules, or having to apply a million automatic responses every time a brigade even thinks about advancing. Still trying to find it. Sorry; this is possibly now starting to cut into brigadiers' critical planning time. It may be a question of this is something that just has to be played out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

43rd Division (43D)
is to enter the area of operations on the road towards Bouclecourt, deploying as the right wing of III Corps‘ advance on St Croissant with the ultimate goal of Quatreprouts. Division HQ is to be set up in Bouclecourt.

Bde commands are to adapt the following orders as developments dictate, reporting significant developments via runners.

76Bde
is to receive 4 batteries of 7.7cm guns. It enters the area of operations third, after 78Bde. It is to deploy between St Croissant and Bois de Gooneville with the aim of extending 43D‘s line west of Saint Croissant in preparation of a further Corps advance on Quatreprouts.

77Bde
is to receive 4 batteries of 7.7cm guns. It will enter the area of operations fourth, after 76Bde. It is to advance towards Bois de Gooneville at best speed with the aim of deploying into line behind and to the right of 76Bde to act as flank security or assault reserve depending on circumstances.

78Bde
is to receive 4 batteries of 15cm guns and 4 batteries of 10cm guns. It will enter the area of operations as the second unit of 43D and advance on Saint Croissant at utmost speed, deploying its artillery to secure 43D‘s position around the city in preparation of a further Corps advance on Quatreprouts.

79Bde
is to receive all 43D cavalry assets and 4 batteries of 7.7cm guns. It will enter the area of operations as the first unit of 43D and advance towards St Croissant at utmost speed with the aim of securing the city in preparation of a further Corps advance on Quatreprouts.

7th Jäger bn
enters the map as the fifth unit of 43D behind 77Bde, advancing westwards at utmost speed, keeping well clear of possible fighting around St Croissant, with the aim of taking up scouting positions in the west of Bois de Gooneville.

Lowtax Mit Uns.

e: edited

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 12, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I request that the 13th Brigade be placed in Column 1, Herr Steinrokkan.

More detailed orders to follow later.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've updated the roster with attachments and links to a few of the orders posts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Someone tell me if this is humorous before I approve it for dispatch

It's a smidgen too angry imo

glynnenstein posted:

I've updated the roster with attachments and links to a few of the orders posts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

I've updated this with the final disposition of forces for my division. We lost the engineers and gained the 15cms. I've given 79th the 4x7.7 from 78th, which instead gained the 15cm. I've also edited the order post to reflect this.

If anyone finds a mess I've missed post and I'll fix tomorrow.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 12, 2017

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh my god, all those big guns :neckbeard:. https://youtu.be/MDNIljQBlSM?t=5m14s

I'll see about nailing down the orders in the coming day or two. It'll be tricky to find positions for them all that are neither too exposed nor too far backwards.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
gotcha

edit: 76Bde, right now my orders are to advance "toward" Bois de Goonville but if i end up advancing "through" it my infantry might have to slow down to allow my guns enough time to get up. that could make our line curl back a bit.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 12, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

^^^ :respek:

Perestroika posted:

Oh my god, all those big guns :neckbeard:. https://youtu.be/MDNIljQBlSM?t=5m14s

I'll see about nailing down the orders in the coming day or two. It'll be tricky to find positions for them all that are neither too exposed nor too far backwards.

Yeah you're going to have to figure something out. 79th's cav should be the first to step in the doodoo by a fair margin if everything works as planned and that will hopefully give us some information to work with in time to actually still make use of it in terms of changing orders etc., should it be necessary.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 13, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Rough draft of my orders, subject to review from other brigade commanders:
  • approach Bois de Goonville in marching order
  • get into battle order right before we enter the forest
  • march through forest in battle order, allowing time for my guns to come up
  • if i encounter resistance, switch to Defend
  • throughout, remain In Touch with the 76th

edit: 79th, can you send a runner to me as soon as your cav sees something? i am worried about not being able to see out of the forest once i am in it

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 13, 2017

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like 14th brigade to join column 2 and take up positions in the outskirts of Baguette.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
16th brigade will join column 2. It's probably better to wait for Trin's updated guide before I go more into specifics, unless there is something division command needs to know right now?

NastyToes, what do you say we simply split up the column's divisional assets equitably between us?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I still don't think we're accounting enough for the possibility that the frogs are gonna enter the map from the south-east instead of the south-west. I'll admit my checking up on the Roll20 has been spotty at best, but it doesn't look like we have much of a contingency for if that happens. I get that the worst case is them spawning right on top of our objective in the SW and it makes sense to plan for the worst case, but we're taking it as almost a given that that's what's going to happen. I'm worried that they're gonna come out of nowhere and just rip our flank to shreds because our plan for them spawning on the same side as us is basically "meh, it's probably not gonna happen so don't worry too much".

(Also, I don't know if metagaming is allowed, but I've GM'd games for years and if there's one thing GM's love it's loving with their players - and if I were running this I'd have both teams start on the same side and give them an objective on the opposite corner, then cackle to myself as both teams plan around the enemy starting opposite them. A few turns later is about when I'd start cackling aloud as their screens bump into each other on the flanks and they all suddenly freak out).

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm a bit slow off the mark on this one but I'll sign up to take over a command if someone drops out (staff officer?)

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 13, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Them entering the map from the southeast is actually better for us, because under those circumstances I believe we reach Croissants before they do. Furthermore, the planned positions for 19th Division are well-placed to deal with any French move from that area.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

NastyToes posted:

I'd like 14th brigade to join column 2 and take up positions in the outskirts of Baguette.

Covski posted:

16th brigade will join column 2. It's probably better to wait for Trin's updated guide before I go more into specifics, unless there is something division command needs to know right now?

NastyToes, what do you say we simply split up the column's divisional assets equitably between us?

The only thing I need to know is who will take care of your column's assets, and you seem to be on top of that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Something that came up in Roll 20, if a brigade has a scouting company of cavalry that is outside the BHQ range and spots an enemy unit, is the BHQ eligible for requesting new orders based on that only if the cavalry scouts first move inside the command range?

Tias
May 25, 2008

aphid, my orders seem clear, but what am I to do when/if I make contact? Bike a messenger to divisional HQ? Or one to the units most likely to run into the foe, or even artillery poised to strike? What takes precedence?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Crazycryodude posted:

I still don't think we're accounting enough for the possibility that the frogs are gonna enter the map from the south-east instead of the south-west. I'll admit my checking up on the Roll20 has been spotty at best, but it doesn't look like we have much of a contingency for if that happens. I get that the worst case is them spawning right on top of our objective in the SW and it makes sense to plan for the worst case, but we're taking it as almost a given that that's what's going to happen. I'm worried that they're gonna come out of nowhere and just rip our flank to shreds because our plan for them spawning on the same side as us is basically "meh, it's probably not gonna happen so don't worry too much".

(Also, I don't know if metagaming is allowed, but I've GM'd games for years and if there's one thing GM's love it's loving with their players - and if I were running this I'd have both teams start on the same side and give them an objective on the opposite corner, then cackle to myself as both teams plan around the enemy starting opposite them. A few turns later is about when I'd start cackling aloud as their screens bump into each other on the flanks and they all suddenly freak out).

We need to capture Croissant. Afterwards our divisions will be in a compact enough formation to react to the enemy even if he comes from an unexpected angle. Hell, personally I don't care if they get the whole eastern / western half of the map via some tactical trickery, as long as our defense of Croissant is robust and we maintain some ties with the northern edge of the map - that is the thing that matters. Whoever controls C. controls the map.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

quote:

Hello? Yes, hello? Is this the French field telephone? How splendid! Would you kindly get me the corps commander? Yes?

Hello? This is Ze Germans. We are calling to confirm the receipt of leaflets and we wanted to say gently caress you very much. We could have answered in kind, but there is this awkward fact that you lot can't read. You are also ugly. We are informed that your collective wives are of a Cricetinaeid persuasion, no doubt causing problems for your prospective offspring down the line. We also hear you personally, kind Sir, broadcast olfactory sensations of sambucus, but this we shall verify when the day is done and you're safe as our guest.

If you would kindly switch us to your field 2600 baud fax, that would be wonderful, we have an image to send.

One moment...

Send it to the French, Trin. We've tardied on it long enough to make them not think we are needy.

Tias
May 25, 2008

You forgot "your mother dresses you funny"! We'd be remiss to recall our ancestral insults!

E: :itisalordoftherealmsjoke:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, in the process of nailing down the orders, a few questions have popped up:
-If a unit of artillery is on a hill and fires over the heads of a lower unit, does that waive the requirement to be at least 2" away from that unit? Intuitively I'd say yes, but I figured it would be best to be sure.

-Without getting into the nitty-gritty of the mechanics, is shooting at a target from an elevated position more powerful in terms of killing poo poo than doing so from same elevation? Particularly for artillery?

-You've mentioned spotting information propagates through the entire brigade from each company to all the rest. What is the limit on that? How far away can a company be from the rest for its spotting information to still reach everyone in time for them to open fire on whatever the "scout" has spotted?

-Can spotting information be at all transferred between units of separate brigades? Specifically, if e.g. companies of the 79th brigade is inside a town and sees enemies there, could that information be used for my howitzers to blast any eligible targets in there?

So anyways, questions aside, here's a general outline of what I'm thinking so far. These are by no means actually finished orders, just a general idea to make sure there are no conflicts with the other brigades or in case I'm doing something incredibly stupid.

Following just behind our vanguard the 79th, our heavy 15cm guns would deploy on pasteur ridge to offer fire support against any targets within or just around our first objective. Assuming no particularly heavy resistance at that point in time, the 10.5cm guns would take up a position within the farm just southwest of that point. They also be able to hit the town proper as well as the areas around the city. The infantry would be deployed around and south of these positions, to contain any breakouts or to serve as a reserve for securing the town.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 13, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Perestroika posted:

Alright, in the process of nailing down the orders, a few questions have popped up:
-If a unit of artillery is on a hill and fires over the heads of a lower unit, does that waive the requirement to be at least 2" away from that unit? Intuitively I'd say yes, but I figured it would be best to be sure.

-Without getting into the nitty-gritty of the mechanics, is shooting at a target from an elevated position more powerful in terms of killing poo poo than doing so from same elevation? Particularly for artillery?

-You've mentioned spotting information propagates through the entire brigade from each company to all the rest. What is the limit on that? How far away can a company be from the rest for its spotting information to still reach everyone in time for them to open fire on whatever the "scout" has spotted?

-Can spotting information be at all transferred between units of separate brigades? Specifically, if e.g. companies of the 79th brigade is inside a town and sees enemies there, could that information be used for my howitzers to blast any eligible targets in there?

So anyways, questions aside, here's a general outline of what I'm thinking so far. These are by no means actually finished orders, just a general idea to make sure there are no conflicts with the other brigades or in case I'm doing something incredibly stupid.

Following just behind our vanguard the 79th, our heavy 15cm guns would deploy on pasteur ridge to offer fire support against any targets within or just around our first objective. Assuming no particularly heavy resistance at that point in time, the 10.5cm guns would take up a position within the farm just south of that point. They also be able to hit the town proper as well as the area southeast of the city, hopefully helping secure 19th Division's advance. The infantry would be deployed around and between these two places, to contain any potential breakthroughs and serve as a reserve for taking the city if needed.

You are trying to set up positions at the same place as the 19th division, including our artillery placements. The 43rd should stay on the other side of that NE road, I think. Also the line you have outlined is very close to the town, if you march there hoping to switch to combat formation at the line, you will get shredded by any defenders.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

You are trying to set up positions at the same place as the 19th division, including our artillery placements. The 43rd should stay on the other side of that NE road, I think. Also the line you have outlined is very close to the town, if you march there hoping to switch to combat formation at the line, you will get shredded by any defenders.

Fair enough. I'll switch over to the northern side, then, probably doing something similar in and around Ferme do Confit.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: Brigade Orders, Automatic Orders, Runners, and Other Associated and Miscellaneous Crap :siren:

Right then. First I owe thanks to everyone in both sides' Roll20 for letting me talk at them for a while yesterday, which has really helped me nail down the flaws in the original presentation of the rules and get them closer to what I was intending. I'll go back and revise the original rules now.

HOW TO WRITE BRIGADE ORDERS

You must include a map with an arrow indicating how your forces will move. The arrow is non-negotiable. I cannot properly adjudicate moves without an arrow. Any orders without an arrow are invalid and will fail.

You should include pictures of all Battle Order formations you wish to use (or at least a link to them; perhaps Corps HQ could collate a list of formations that everyone could refer to and not clog their orders up with too many images?). You may use more than one at various points; transitioning from one formation to another occurs "on the move". Any orders given without reference to a formation shall use the default formation and attached assets will be deployed at my discretion.

You should tell me what the brigade is to do when it arrives at its finishing point, and you are encouraged to be as exact as possible about the final location of Brigade HQ. When a brigade arrives at the finishing point of its orders it will automatically switch to Defend, and entrench itself.

Conditionals

It is allowed to include in your orders a condition for your brigade to follow: for instance "If an enemy is sighted, retreat in direction X; otherwise, continue to [TOWN_NAME]." However, please remember that I have a lot of brigades to move around the board. The more complicated your orders, the more conditions they include, the more likely I am to misunderstand something, forget a particular permutation, or implement the orders in a way other than you intended. I will not re-adjudicate turns if this happens; you are responsible for giving clear orders.

You may not use conditionals to vary the Standing Orders or override game rules, such as the firing Order of Priority. It is invalid to, for instance, order infantry companies to "Fire first on artillery, then on machine guns"; they will always obey the rules. There is one exception: I will in certain situations accept "Hold your fire unless..." orders if, for instance, you want to fully bait the enemy into a trap before firing on them.

Breaking Off

It is permissible to, when writing a Change of Orders, give orders for "Break Off and then move as follows:" you will switch to Attack at the end of the break-off and move accordingly. You may not write a break-off conditional in your initial orders. However, if you break off due to a Standing Order, your men lose their orders, automatically switch to Defend stance, and must receive a Change of Orders to move again.

Attack and Defend stance, and obligatory movement

As a general principle: an infantry company on Attack must move its full movement on every turn. An MG or artillery company must move its full movement unless there is an enemy company within firing range, in which case it stops to fire. All three types of company must remain stationary on Defend stance.

These rules are interpreted very loosely when a brigade arrives at a point where it intends to stay; as long as the brigade is coming to a stop, it's permitted to have e.g. companies who arrived at their final point last turn, who do not move on this turn, while other companies are still moving into their final positions because they lacked the movement to make it all the way last turn.

Standing Orders

Standing Orders cover the following common situations. When the condition is triggered, the brigade automatically reacts as specified without the need for intervention by you. If you've played isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate, think of them as being kind of like auto-pause settings.

Please note that you may not add extra Standing Orders, or change the options available to you. If what you want to do is not listed below, you are not setting a Standing Order, you're adding a conditional to your orders. They're at risk of being disregarded or misinterpreted if you've put them in with your Standing Orders.

The list of Standing Orders is as follows. If you do not explicitly set a Standing Order, it automatically is set to the default. It is always best to use the wording that I give here.

Default order
Optional order

quote:

When sighting an enemy 12" or less away on Attack stance:

Keep moving along original path
Turn and move directly towards enemy
Halt and switch to Defend orders.

If you select "turn and move", a new arrow will be drawn pointing directly at the enemy and your formation turns to face its new direction. Once no enemy companies remain in spotting range, your brigade will move back towards the path of its original movement arrow, re-adopt my closest approximation of your original formation, and continue moving towards its destination. (This, and all procedures, assumes that you have not in the meantime made a Change of Orders.)

quote:

When attacking the enemy:

Launch a Bayonet Charge / Cavalry Charge
Use rifle fire

Brigades default to charging, but may advance using rifle fire if you want. Brigades on Defend stance must remain stationary and use rifle fire to defend themselves. Only rifle companies charge; MG and artillery companies remain stationary and support the charge.

quote:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed:

Pursue the enemy
Do not pursue

The brigade suspends its original orders and chases after the retreating companies until they're no longer spottable. The same rule for returning to its original arrow applies to automatic pursuit as it does for "turn and move" up above - the pursuit continues until the enemy is gone and then you return to your original orders. The Senlac Hill Rule says that Brigades on Defend stance do not pursue retreats regardless of this setting; to do that you need a Change of Orders and a switch to Attack stance. You cannot tempt a defender out of good defensive positions by attacking and immediately breaking off to trigger a Standing Order; if a brigade is going to do that, it needs a human to order it.

quote:

Break Off automatically when:

1/4 casualties are taken
1/2 casualties are taken
2/3 casualties are taken
3/4 casualties are taken
Fight to the last man

This is to allow Brigades to set how aggressive they want to be. As mentioned above, Brigades which Break Off due to a Standing Order switch to Defend and require a Change of Orders before they can move again.

[SUPERCEDED INFORMATION ABOUT RUNNERS DELETED]

In-Character Orders, or, Fluff vs Crunch

I like people who roleplay a bit and give their orders in character. This is Cool and Good and I approve of it. However, it is absolutely critical to not allow your fluff to make your crunch unclear. By all means give orders in character, but please make sure you write in gameplay and rules terms when appropriate - again, I'm adjudicating a lot of brigades every turn and if I can't understand quickly where I'm physically supposed to move your chits, I'll take a best guess and get on with it.

I do believe I'm done. Feel free to keep asking questions, but hopefully all the big holes are closed and now we're just looking at edge cases.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 9, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

aphid, my orders seem clear, but what am I to do when/if I make contact? Bike a messenger to divisional HQ? Or one to the units most likely to run into the foe, or even artillery poised to strike? What takes precedence?

Ideally 77th will be unengaged and in reserve somewhere to your east. In that case your number one concern obviously is to activate them so they can wheel to engage, because I have them uncomfortably doubletasked as a reserve both for a push south and a screen east and they need a poke to fully switch to defensive west-facing stance.

If the contact seems beyond what 77Bde can deal with telling 77th and 76th to gtfo into a defensive position around St Croissant so 76th doesn't get attacked from multiple sides and where they might get arty support from 78th might be the plan, and there 76th might be the first one to poke because they will be more exposed and possibly already engaged from another direction.

DivHQ honestly seems secondary unless I have somehow come into a reserve to send over at that point.

78th might be an idea depending on where their guns end up, how busy they are, and what the enemy looks like, but in a situation where 78th's arty is not busy but we're being attacked from the west some weirdness is already ongoing so you're going to have to make that call when it happens.

Basically your job is to help allow the division to face the new situation.

e: I had not read the big post on how runners work when I wrote this so take this as a rough guide of intent while we figure out what is and is not actually possible within the rules.

e2: you can't send a runner to another bde hq for starters, oopsie

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 13, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FYI, I am a big fan of paint.net for LP arrowing needs.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

e; f, doublepost

Actually: Tevery, can you give me the message in plainpost, not in quote tags, so I can quote it myself?

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 13, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

e; f, doublepost

Actually: Tevery, can you give me the message in plainpost, not in quote tags, so I can quote it myself?

One moment...

glynnenstein posted:

FYI, I am a big fan of paint.net for LP arrowing needs.

Truth. If you do not have a tool for making prettier and more complex arrows, then just download paint.net. It's almost as easy to use as MS Paint and, most importantly, GETS THE JOB DONE. If there is one thing I will insist in this unit it is that we will have neat and orderly arrows on our maps, by Jove.

Trin, a number of questions:

Trin Tragula posted:

All three types of company must remain stationary on Defend stance.

Does this mean the "adjustments" rule is no longer in effect?

What, specifically, are Division HQs allowed to decide and order without intervention from Corps HQ? What decisions are they not allowed to make?

I know we are not supposed to know the nitty-gritty of the fighting engine, but on the sliding scale below:

Trench mortar -> 7.7 FK -> 10.5 FK -> 15 cm FH

where does arse hortillery lie as regards firepower?

More provocatively, are there any differences in fire/bayonet power of French and German infantry companies? What about infantry vs cavalry?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

One moment...

Sent, under the name Generalleutnant Tevery Spitzehut Unhofflichmann Beste von Polieren (Spikehat Rudeman Best von Polish, the last in tribute to the real General Hermann von Francois.)

As you put the phone down, you hear a response from a Frenchman struggling, but succeding, to maintain his dignity. "That exchange was quite an amuse boche, but please wait for the main course to be delivered to you by our artillery."

quote:

Trin, a number of questions:

Does this mean the "adjustments" rule is no longer in effect?

Yes it does, I decided that if you do get your T crossed it's your own fault and the solution is to draw a better formation. Once you stop, you stop.

quote:

What, specifically, are Division HQs allowed to decide and order without intervention from Corps HQ?

As a matter of game rules: When they are in telephone contact? Everything, since it is assumed that they can clear their orders with you over the telephone. When they are not? Nothing. Since all players can see the whole map at the same time, which is information that only Corps HQ should have, all orders must clear through Corps HQ to balance this out and stop Westmost Division acting immediately on something they shouldn't know for another 10 turns.

Now, you can certainly say "you can order your brigades around without my input", and let your divisional commanders act with minimal input in the thread and as a matter of players discussing tactical decisions; but the mechanics of the game require that since all commanders have access to information only known to Corps HQ, all orders must clear through Corps HQ before going into effect.

quote:

I know we are not supposed to know the nitty-gritty of the fighting engine, but on the sliding scale below:

Trench mortar -> 7.7 FK -> 10.5 FK -> 15 cm FH

where does arse hortillery lie as regards firepower?

What I can tell you, and no more, is that arse hortillery has the range of a field gun and can move like an infantry MG; it is more manoeuvreable even than your Minenwerfers, which have a limit on how far they can be manhandled.

quote:

More provocatively, are there any differences in fire/bayonet power of French and German infantry companies? What about infantry vs cavalry?

Sorry, the line's very https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JEUChn0Jq8

Your infantry and cavalry is the best in the world, clearly. How could it not be? Look at the spikiness of your hats! And their ridiculous red trousers with which they are so obsessed! (Did you notice that the chits in the OP of the observer thread are wearing red trousers? I'm disproportionately pleased with myself for thinking to do that...)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 13, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

:siren: PLANE DESTINATION :siren:

(flight plan: be there at eight o'clock sharp)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't wait to see the corps spring into action like a big intricate horribly exploding clockwork

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
PLEASE PROVIDE BASIC ORDERS ASAP SO WE CAN HAMMER OUT INSTANCES OF OVERLAP AND SUCH

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Note about scouting for brigades: Scouts can only relay messages to their HQ if they can clearly see the HQ or another company of their brigade.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

For the spectators, behold the intricate and organised planning produced by the finest minds of the german military academies:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

steinrokkan posted:

PLEASE PROVIDE BASIC ORDERS ASAP SO WE CAN HAMMER OUT INSTANCES OF OVERLAP AND SUCH

quote:

Rough draft of my orders, subject to review from other brigade commanders:
  • approach Bois de Goonville in marching order
  • get into battle order right before we enter the forest
  • march through forest in battle order, allowing time for my guns to come up
  • if i encounter resistance, switch to Defend
  • throughout, remain In Touch with the 76th

aphid_licker posted:

Ideally 77th will be unengaged and in reserve somewhere to your east. In that case your number one concern obviously is to activate them so they can wheel to engage, because I have them uncomfortably doubletasked as a reserve both for a push south and a screen east and they need a poke to fully switch to defensive west-facing stance.
if i encounter resistance, i am the flank anchor. if i don't, i'm the reserve and you get me where i am needed

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
You gotta draw an arrow though. Arrows are non-negotiable, Trin said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

You gotta draw an arrow though. Arrows are non-negotiable, Trin said.
this isn't the final thing, this is the penultimate thing, and will become the final thing after feedback

• Locked thread