Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

if i encounter resistance, i am the flank anchor. if i don't, i'm the reserve and you get me where i am needed

Just a heads up, battle order isn't really a thing, your troops are only marching when they are on a road, as soon as they leave a road, they automatically regroup into the formation you picked for them, which will take them some time. So you should provide a spot where they should reform in your detailed drawing.

Also I think it would be useful to sketch out how far away from the road individual players want to move, so that everybody doesn't pick the same shortest path.

VVVVV
Sandman has heroically volunteered to attack on his own, since the combined frontage of our two divisions converging at Croissant is too narrow to support more brigades at once. He has also requested additional artillery from the reserves. Therefore Ikasuhito, if you are reading this, please prepare to set up shop behind him, to come to his aid should his troops collapse.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Still working out my orders in roll20, but just wanted to state that I intend the 13th to take point in attacking Croissants from the east.

EDIT: While your faith in me is appreciated, I was figuring that Perestroika's brigade from the 43rd would be attacking the town from the north.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 13, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Corps commander, please check your players are still present, there is a distinct lack of activity for there needing to be 9 brigadiers all hashing out their orders

Also, here is your telephone map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Sandman posted:

EDIT: While your faith in me is appreciated, I was figuring that Perestroika's brigade from the 43rd would be attacking the town from the north.

Oh yeah, I meant on your own from our division.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Yeah space is an issue. If Sandman is attackin from the east, then that means I would either have to hit it from the north (and get in the way of the 43rd) or move in from the SE and dangle my rear end out there for the Frenchies.

As such I will get working on preliminary orders to provide him support immediately.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Okay, guys. :siren: REMINDER THAT DEADLINE IS THURDSAY GMT TIME. :siren:

I have bolded the names of people who have not said anything regarding their plans so far in either here or Roll20. If anyone with their name in bold does not post in this thread within the next 24 hours (even just to confirm they are not MIA), they will be replaced by first name off the reserves list to ask for their post.

Names in italics have so far been fairly inactive and are also asked to speak up and :siren: post orders with arrows fellas :siren:, but not under pain of replacement. If you're in italics, it's a prod to get in here and/or roll20 to start hashing things out.

A gentle reminder: it is not enough to just say "yeah I'll do that thing my div general told me to", you have to post specifics and draw arrows for pete's sake I can't stress this enough

III Corps - Generalleutnant Tevery Best
Chief of Staff: glynnenstein

19th Division - Steinrokkan

13th Brigade - The Sandman
14th Brigade - NastyToes
15th Brigade - Ikasuhito
16th Brigade - Covski

43rd Division - aphid_licker

76th Brigade - Crazycryodude
77th Brigade - HEY GAIL
78th Brigade - Perestroika
79th Brigade - Comrade Cheggorsky
7th Jaeger Battalion - Tias

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
*Very* preliminary plan for 16th Brigade.

16th Brigade will move out using the road through Nainville, moving out after any forces that are to be active in the battle for Croissant. Meanwhile, cavalry scouts will deploy to Baguende using the shortest possible route. The brigade will then form up in line of battle in Bois du Baguette, pointing as many guns as possible towards the enemy.

Having considered it further I'd be quite willing to relinquish command of the artillery assets to divisional command, to help us get an edge in the initial engagement.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the scale and size of units here, how much of Bois de Baguette will my brigade cover in a standard formation? I'll want to coordinate further with NastyToes so we don't crowd each other too much.

Any glaring issues with the basic ideas here, before I start thinking too hard about the finer points?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
As for scale, here's a brigade in Roll20 positioned just north of that wood.

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

hi hello, unfortunately i wont be able to be as active with this as is needed, i therefore resign my command of the 79th brigade and wish my successor the best of luck in sticking it to the frogs

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
*Clicks heels*
*waxes moustache*

Euer Hochwohlgeborener Herr, Freund, und Vetter, mein Gönner, Herr aphid_licker:

Ich habe die grosse Ehre to enclose to you these brigade orders for the most honorable and praiseworthy brigade, the 77th, with map:

1. Approach Bouclecourt on the road with the rest of the 43rd Division, behind 76th, 78th, and 79th Brigades
2. If no resistance is encountered, head southwest to Bois de Goonville in marching order, keeping to the Bouclecourt-Saint-Croissant road as long as feasible and overland after that.
3. Deploy into battle order before we get into the forest. Advance through the forest in battle order, infantry ahead and guns 2" behind. Approach in Attack stance.
4. Advance until the foot is one inch beyond the treeline, with the guns two inches behind them, one inch within the forest. This will allow both the foot and guns to see out but give cover to the guns, and maintain a two-inch distance between the foot and the guns so the latter can fire over the heads of the former. If nothing else happens, entrench where we are, send a runner back to Division HQ, and await news from the brigades next to me.

Brigade headquarters will be set up an inch within the forest.

At all times: remain In Touch with the brigade next to me.
Halt and fire if fired upon. Send a runner back to division HQ if fired upon.
Break off if we receive 3/4 casualties.

Ich bleibe
Ihr freiwillige Diener
Herr HEGEL

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 14, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
most of the only war songs i know are from the Anglosphere, so interested observers might be able to pass these on to Entente players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q4BrtuM5mU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfuyY0Ur8-M

this one's from the 16th century:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvECtlJQ4dU

this one is German, but contrary to the topic it was written in 1917:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0yuPtlZtJQ

i guess we stick with Landsknecht songs. Or this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkmQViWan5g

Edit: OK Trin, I know we do not have bagpipes, so there's no chance for the 77th to do anything like those heroic pipers you've talked about, but do I have a band? Trumpeters?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 14, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

HEY GAIL posted:

*Clicks heels*
*waxes moustache*

Euer Hochwohlgeborener Herr, Freund, und Vetter, mein Gönner, Herr aphid_licker:

Ich habe die grosse Ehre to enclose to you these brigade orders for the most honorable and praiseworthy brigade, the 77th, with map:

This is a reasonable and fundamentally valid set of orders. However, they could be clearer. Some of this is my fault because it's based on things which used to be true and now are not. (This post uses the royal, collective "you", not the personal "you".

quote:

1. Approach Bouclecourt on the road with the rest of the 43rd Division, behind 76th, 78th, and 79th Brigades
2. If no resistance is encountered, head southwest to Bois de Goonville in marching order, keeping to the Bouclecourt-Saint-Croissant road as long as feasible and overland after that.

Not bad; but the woogly arrow is concerning (although I think I know what is meant by it) and "as long as feasible" is very vague. Remember I have nine brigades to adjudicate on your side, plus however many the enemy has. I will try to interpret things in your favour, but the more you leave to me to decide, the more chance there is of something happening that you did not intend because I mis-read something while moving brigade 11 out of twiddley-two and cursing why I ever wanted to run the thing in the first place.

quote:

3. Deploy into battle order before we get into the forest. Advance through the forest in battle order, infantry ahead and guns 2" behind. Approach in Attack stance.

This is fine, although it's unnecessary to specify the stance because you must be in Attack stance to move. Also note that a brigade automatically switches into Battle Order when it leaves the road.

quote:

4. Advance until the foot is one inch beyond the treeline, with the guns two inches behind them, one inch within the forest. This will allow both the foot and guns to see out, and maintain a two-inch distance between the foot and the guns so the latter can fire over the heads of the former.

It is good that it is specified that the guns should line up two inches behind the infantry to fire overhead. It is very bad to say the infantry should be "one inch beyond the treeline" so that they can "see out". Does this mean you want them in the wood or out of it? If I'm "seeing out" of a forest, this kind of implies that I'm in the forest...

Again, I can probably get to where you want, and I love reading in-character orders and comments; but not when they interfere with it being clear where you want to put something.

quote:

If nothing else happens, entrench where we are, send a runner back to Division HQ,

Unnecessary, since these things will now happen automatically. However, this is only the case since the most recent rules update, so it is quite forgivable and my fault for writing bad rules in the first place; when in doubt, you should err on the side of ordering something to happen rather than relying on it happening automatically; the worst thing that happens is I say "this will happen automatically".

quote:

Brigade headquarters will be set up an inch within the forest.

Valid.

quote:

At all times: remain In Touch with the brigade next to me.

Extremely useful supplementary information.

quote:

Send a runner back to division HQ if fired upon.

This is also automatic. Brigade commanders no longer have any control over when a runner deploys.

quote:

Halt and fire if fired upon.
Break off if we receive 3/4 casualties.

These are fine, but it is best to use the exact form of words I used when writing the standing orders, and to label the section of your orders which contains standing orders as "standing orders". Final comment; no formation has been given, so the default formation will be in use for at least part of these orders. If you want a specific formation, you must show me a picture of what it looks like. (This is not a judgement, just an observation.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 14, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'll try do orders for the vacant 79th brigade tonight, but if anyone wants to post some sooner, they're welcome to take over and I'll just wait for the next unit to come.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Maybe I missed it, but how does hill spotting interact with cover? If an enemy is on level 1 of a hill 20 inches away from one of mine in cover, can they see me? Normally you'd only see me from 4 inches away, but does the 32 inch vision range from being on a hill override that?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Not bad; but the woogly arrow is concerning (although I think I know what is meant by it
Oops, my hand shook.

quote:

and "as long as feasible" is very vague.
Remain on the road in such a way as to take the shortest distance between that road and the forest.

quote:

It is good that it is specified that the guns should line up two inches behind the infantry to fire overhead. It is very bad to say the infantry should be "one inch beyond the treeline" so that they can "see out". Does this mean you want them in the wood or out of it? If I'm "seeing out" of a forest, this kind of implies that I'm in the forest...
poo poo, that was entirely my bad: one inch away from/outside of the treeline so I do not have to worry about seeing out. In front of the forest.

quote:

Final comment; no formation has been given, so the default formation will be in use for at least part of these orders. If you want a specific formation, you must show me a picture of what it looks like.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Rate and/or ruthlessly mock my battle formation.

E: Revised, yellow circle is 8 inches from HQ, green circles are 2 inches from arty.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 14, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hopefully, i will make it through the woods without incident and end up like this:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Covski posted:

*Very* preliminary plan for 16th Brigade.

16th Brigade will move out using the road through Nainville, moving out after any forces that are to be active in the battle for Croissant. Meanwhile, cavalry scouts will deploy to Baguende using the shortest possible route. The brigade will then form up in line of battle in Bois du Baguette, pointing as many guns as possible towards the enemy.

Having considered it further I'd be quite willing to relinquish command of the artillery assets to divisional command, to help us get an edge in the initial engagement.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the scale and size of units here, how much of Bois de Baguette will my brigade cover in a standard formation? I'll want to coordinate further with NastyToes so we don't crowd each other too much.

Any glaring issues with the basic ideas here, before I start thinking too hard about the finer points?

This will hopefully give you an idea of how much space a very compact infantry square takes up.

Also I'd prefer it if you kept your arty, since if we lost a brigade attacking with all the goodies attached to it, they would be gone. Possible arty positions within the range of Croissant centre are marked in red.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

I'll try do orders for the vacant 79th brigade tonight, but if anyone wants to post some sooner, they're welcome to take over and I'll just wait for the next unit to come.

Yeah, that would be great. Since 79th is supposed to be the first into the city, it'd be really useful to have something to orient myself on to coordinate with them. So far I'm tempted to just build up in front of the city and leave it at that, sending a runner to order the actual push via a change in orders. Having something more specific to go on could make it feasible to incorporate the whole actual attack within the first set of orders.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just one more thing *points cigar at commanders*

From the blue point we can see The Happening-s at the road leading to Clemenceau.
From the green point, plenty of what is going on below our objective.

Commanders with no immediate concerns, consider keeping a company there, tia.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 14, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

Oops, my hand shook.

Remain on the road in such a way as to take the shortest distance between that road and the forest.

poo poo, that was entirely my bad: one inch away from/outside of the treeline so I do not have to worry about seeing out. In front of the forest.

MGs that are in base contact with an infantry unit can fire as if they stood where that infantry unit does, but remain protected from enemy fire by the presence of said infantry. I would heartily recommend you keep the MGs behind the footsloggers, not the other way around.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, I'm way behind on the rules because I didn't expect to play before the game started, but here are some draft orders so that other commanders can get an idea of what my brigade will do. I'll draw the maps tomorrow and modify as I get up to speed on the rules.

79th Brigade Orders

Forces:
1x Infantry Brigade incl. trench mortar
3 Cav squadrons, 1 cav mg squadron, 1 horse's arse, 1 engineer company.
4x 7.5cm artillery

Mission: To take and hold St Croissant and advance further SW if possible.

Execution: My plan has three phases. Phase one is to take St C. Phase two is a hopefully short phase fortifying the city. Phase three is to attack units to the south of us.

Phase one:
We will be at the head of the Division. When we enter the area the order of march will be Light cavalry, Arse Hotillery, MG Cav, Infantry Brigade, Injuneers, Field artillery. We will travel by the Bouclecourt Road.

Light Cavalry and MG Cavalry:
The four squadrons are to proceed to St C as soon as possible. They are to continue through any enemy fire not directly in front of them. If the way is blocked they will act acording to the known enemy strength:
  • If the visible enemy is two or less units, they should fire on the enemy.
  • If the enemy is three to nine units, they should attempt to manoeuvre around the enemy (preferably in a NW direction) and attempt to continue to the town.
  • If the enemy is more than nine units, they should retire into the nearest cover and dismount. If there is no cover nearby, they should retire out of rifle range before dismounting.
If they reach the town cav charge any enemy. Go to a defensive stance if the town is empty.

Horse Arty:
Proceed here as fast as possible, set up.
Somewhere north of St C that can fire on the road to brioche

Infantry:
Advance via the Bouclecourt road toward St Croissant. The Brigade will deploy into attack formation between the Fermes de Confit and Beurrre, or before if the way is blocked. They will then advance toward St C. Once they are within rifle range, if any enemy units are seen in the town, the infantry is to move and fire. If the town has been occupied by a brigade or greater (say, 10 units visible in the immediate vicinity) change to a defensive footing and concentrate on firing at the enemy. The attack will resume when less than five units are visible or upon command. The trench mortar should set up as soon as it is in range of the far side of the town. If more than 3 companies gain the outskirts of the town, attempt a bayonet charge on enemies inside the town. HQ position TBA.

Artillery:
Set up two batteries on Pasteur Ridge either side of the Bouclecourt road as per map:
or other position once I'm up to speed on arty.

Engineers:
Follow the infantry. If they are forced to defensive stance, begin trenches that the infantry can use.

Standing orders:
Attacking enemies: as above.
Advance with rifle fire, except in the case above.
Do not pursue the enemy.
Break off at 2/3 casualties.

Phase two:
Once there are no more enemy in the town, we will set up to ensure that the town remains in our hands.

Infantry brigades: We will set up two lines of entrenchemnent in the town. Extra infantry work on entrenching between St C and Gooneville woods.

Cavalry: Move to the west side of gooneville woods and take up a defensive stance. If there is no enemy in sight, begin entrenching. May be retasked when Heygail's troops approach.

Engineers:
Dig a second line trench between St C and Gooneville.

Artillery:
moving to some kind of positions that will support an advance southwest of town.

Standing orders:
Halt and defend against attacking enemy.
Advance with rifle fire
Don't pursue enemy
Break off at 2/3 Casualties

Phase Three:
A series of objectives to follow if the town is taken without much trouble. To begin on command only.

Cavalry:
Scout wherever there are no enemy in sight. By priority: Strawberry fields, Brioche, Flanderscamps sud, bois de haute.

Infantry:
Further objectives as follows: Strawberry fields, The gap between Brioch and Dejuner ridge, then Bois de bacon, then quattreprouts. On reaching each point, defend until all visible enemies are destroyed.

Standing orders:
Halt and defend
Advance with rifle fire
Don't pursue enemy
Break off at 1/2 casualties.

Admin:
(Attack formation to follow)

Command and control:
(TBA once I've finished the field manual)

Apologies if this is too long-winded, I've gone overboard with the contingencies because I haven't fully read the change of orders stuff and I wanted to get something out tonight.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Many Goons posted:

MGs that are in base contact with an infantry unit can fire as if they stood where that infantry unit does, but remain protected from enemy fire by the presence of said infantry.

This is a fine point that has confused people on both sides, so let's clarify it for both threads.

MGs can fire through friendly units at all times.

MGs in base-to-base contact with a Rifle Company only reckon their firing range from the rifle company if the MG is in a Wood or Trench; or if the MG is in a Town and its Rifle Company is in the Outskirts.

These MGs both get the Billy Bonus:

Only the bottom MG gets the Billy Bonus:

Please note that I use red chits as markers; they do not belong to any side, and if they accidentally get left on any map that you see, do not panic.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

MGs that are in base contact with an infantry unit can fire as if they stood where that infantry unit does, but remain protected from enemy fire by the presence of said infantry. I would heartily recommend you keep the MGs behind the footsloggers, not the other way around.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ok getting ready to write my orders up. Question, though - currently my plan is to move them into the area between Gooneville and the woods there, then dig in and wait for further orders in accordance with Phase 1 of the plan. Should I make it so that, on the astronomical chance they don't see any major concentrations of baddies by the time they're there, they keep going and try for Phase 2 (taking Breakfast Ridge) immediately?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Currently there is no variant that would call for us to immediately move onto Breakfast. Moreover, it will probably take some time for the final decision to reach you. Dig in and wait for the Runner to arrive.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

76th Brigade orders rough draft:

1. Enter the area with the rest of the division, proceed in marching order along the road to Bouclecourt
2. From Bouclecourt, proceed in marching order along the road south towards St. Croissant. If fired upon, deploy into battle formation and return fire.
3. At the little wibbly bit in the road about 6 inches from St. Croissant (wording may need work), deploy from marching order into battle formation and proceed overland across the railroad to the area between St. Croissant and Boi de Gooneville.
4. Once in the area west of the town, deploy the brigade into defensive stance as follows:
- Machine guns along the road
- Infantry in front of the machine guns, front row arranged to allow all units a field of fire
- Field guns deployed in the forest, no more than 1 inch within the treeline, but far enough back that they can fire over the infantry/MG's on the road
- Mortars deployed 2 inches behind the main line, allowing them to fire over
- Brigade HQ directly behind the mortars, within 8 inches of all units

(Green dots are 76th Brigade units, HEGEL's are the unmarked ones off to my left, that infantry company one of mine is overlapping is a relic from whenever ago that's stuck on the map and I can't remove)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties

Preferred battle formation is two staggered rows of infantry, followed by MG's, and a 2 inch gap between the artillery with the mortar in the center and 2 FK's on each side. Brigade HQ behind the mortar, within 8 inches of all units.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 14, 2017

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

1. Enter the area with the rest of the division, proceed in marching order along the road to Bouclecourt
2. From Bouclecourt, proceed in marching order along the road south towards St. Croissant. If fired upon, deploy into battle formation and return fire.
3. At the little wibbly bit in the road about 6 inches from St. Croissant (wording may need work), deploy from marching order into battle formation and proceed overland across the railroad to the area between St. Croissant and Boi de Gooneville.
4. Once in the area west of the town, deploy the brigade into defensive stance as follows:
- Infantry in front of the machine guns, front row arranged to allow all units a field of fire
- Field guns deployed in the forest, no more than 1 inch within the treeline, but far enough back that they can fire over the infantry/MG's on the road

(Green dots are 76th Brigade units, HEGEL's are the unmarked ones off to my left, that infantry company one of mine is overlapping is a relic from whenever ago that's stuck on the map and I can't remove)

Standing Orders

Preferred battle formation is two staggered rows of infantry, followed by MG's, and a 2 inch gap between the artillery with the mortar in the center and 2 FK's on each side. Brigade HQ behind the mortar, within 8 inches of all units.

These are very well-written orders and I urge everyone to use this as an example. The only comment I can make is that if you're (that's the royal "you" again) having trouble pinpointing the exact point at which you wish to leave the road, you could zoom in some and provide a separate image which marks it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, going to go with some actual formatted orders. Potentially still subject to change depending on the degree of gently caress-upyness on my part.

Edit: gently caress me, I just realised I've used one too many MG markers in the relevant pictures :suicide:. Assume the proper three MGs in their place instead.

78th Brigade Orders

1. Enter the area in marching order as the second brigade in the division, following immediately behind the 79th. Follow along the road at best speed.

2. On the lower level of Pasteur Ridge, enter battle order and break off from the road towards Ferme de Confit. The larger part of the brigade will take up positions:
-The 15cm howitzers will remain on the ridge and unlimber there.
-The 10cm Howitzers will take up position within the rear of the farm with the trench mortar at their side, and they all also unlimber there.
-Brigade Command deploys in front of them, staying the requisite 2" away to allow them a free field of fire.
-The MGs and a battalion (3 companies) of infantry go in front of them at the southern edge of the farm.

3. The remaining three battalions of infantry will act depending on this conditional:
3a. If there are enemy units inside the city limits of Saint Croissant or north of the road that runs east/west through it, they will attack directly southwards into the city. The desired final position has a line four companies wide inside the city limits, and whatever's left in the outskirts behind them.
3b. If there are no enemies inside the city or north of the street, the three battalions will shift west and instead enter the city along the direction of the railway. The desired final position has the majority of them inside the city limits, with the westernmost elements in the outskirts.
Map of the final positions, with case 3b in bold and 3a translucent. Ideally all but the very southernmost of the infantry companies should be within Brigade Command's 8" order radius.:

After this is done, the brigade switches into Defense Stance and considers this set of orders completed, sending a runner. Everybody digs entrenchments as normal.

Standing Oders
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue

The preferred battle formation has the infantry and MGs in front, followed by Brigade Command and the mortar, and then the howitzers behind in two lines by type. Each line of artillery keeps a distance of 2" to allow for free fields of fire.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 14, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias,

the units are taking up a lot more space than I expected and the line is already snaking pretty far west. See if you can't get someone on Bois de Haute after all without losing contact with HEGEL. Don't be afraid to spread your units out (within your command radius) if it lets you get eyes on more ground.

If poo poo hits the fan fall back into a compact formation on HEGEL's right, don't fight on your own.

re: musicchat, it is really hosed up how annoying Heil dir im Siegerkranz is. Halfway in you're like yeah this is about long enough.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 14, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Am I supposed to be assisting with the assault on the town if there's baddies in there? If not I'll leave my orders as they are with minor edits, if I am I can add a conditional in no problem.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Am I supposed to be assisting with the assault on the town if there's baddies in there? If not I'll leave my orders as they are with minor edits, if I am I can add a conditional in no problem.

I have a hard time answering this so I'm going to write out my thought process.

You're arriving third, two other brigades are already going to town on the, uh, town by the time you get there. On the one hand yes, outflanking stubborn defenders would be good. We need that city after all. On the other hand I'm worried about who else might be there by the time you arrive. Namely, if there is still fighting by the time you get there we're probably past talking about a quick smash and grab of the city and into a more general engagement, meaning that the enemy presence will not be limited to the city, meaning that we could probably use some flank cover.

Now that I've written this out I think it'd be better for you to focus on extending our line west from Gooneville or more generally whereever the remains of 79th will be at the time. If the city itself needs reinforcements I'll send a runner to 77th to move them there. Given runner speeds on roads it should be able to catch up with 77th before HEGEL disappears into the wide green yonder.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, I'll stick with what I've got then.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hey aphid what are our engineers up to currently? I was doing some playing around with the map and the TL;DR is that now I'm afraid of a phantom brigade of Frogs hiding in Strawberry Fields just waiting to charge me/HEGEL when we're not looking. Can we get some barbed wire between the farm and us?

E: Also, now that I'm in full paranoia mode I'm worried about them coming from both the SE corner and the center of the southern edge and putting guns all over Breakfast to tear me a new one. Not much to be done about that, though. I worry way too much about imaginary pixelmen.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 14, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Hey aphid what are our engineers up to currently? I was doing some playing around with the map and the TL;DR is that now I'm afraid of a phantom brigade of Frogs hiding in Strawberry Fields just waiting to charge me/HEGEL when we're not looking. Can we get some barbed wire between the farm and us?

I put the engineers with 79th because I figured that it would be clever to fortify our objective after taking it. I hope this does not result in them randomly dying, that would be really dumb of me! :blush:

Man the stealing barbed wire rules are pretty funny, we're definitely stealing all the fuckin wire. Four turns to place it though.

e: Don't tell the other brigadiers this but I have good intel that the enemy most definitely WILL be coming out of the loving walls :derp:

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 14, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
We should probably wait to place barbed wire until after nightfall.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh definitely

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My current plan for the engineers is to have them form the second line trench running from Saint C to Gooneville woods. This gives us a useful fallback if the french counterattack the city while we're entrenching, the infantry can fight back while the engineers continue in safety. If things go better than expected (lol) then it'll be wasted effort but we won't care because we'll be busy advancing.

They'll also have orders for the worst case scenario to help entrench if the lead brigade gets bogged down before reaching Saint C.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Found the cavalry I was worried about. I bet they can fit thousands of these bastards in that farm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

Standing Orders

This is a great orders post and my favorite thing about it is that everything is in one link for me to keep up-to-date in the spreadsheet! Each commander should try to doublecheck that I'm getting things right in there and feel free to update anything that is wrong or out of date, though I think I'm keeping up. At present we only have complete orders including arrows from a couple people and the rest are preliminary/placeholder posts.

• Locked thread