Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Housekeeping notes:

:siren: The soft deadline for orders is 2pm GMT Thursday 16th. Orders that arrive after the deadline but before I begin the adjudication may or may not accepted at my discretion. You will be informed when the adjudication has begun and no orders whatsoever will be accepted after that point. :siren:

Also, I will not be offering critiques of everyone's orders. Someone in here has produced Good and Cool orders that I approve of. It is now the job of senior commanders to get everything shipshape and Bristol fashion. I am still available for clarification of rules. I will also accept emergency orders from Divisional commanders for brigades whose commanders' whereabouts are uncertain.

Also I'll be posting a short questionnaire so y'all and the observer thread have something to do/watch while you wait. Participation is greatly appreciated.

Checklist for Corps commanders:

Have I assigned the Corps assets to divisions?
Have I ordered the spotter plane?
Have I collected everyone's orders (including attachments) into one place to make things easy for certain persons whom it would be well to keep happy?

Checklist for Divisional commanders:

Have I attached the Divisional assets to brigades?
Have I given legal orders for the movement of my Divisional HQ?
Have all my brigadiers given legal orders?

Checklist for Brigade commanders

Am I aware of all rules that might be relevant to what I'm trying to do?
Are my orders legal and compliant with the latest guidelines?
Am I sure that I have posted them in the thread, clearly marked?
and, finally,
Am I as offensive as I might be?

This last one, is clearly, most important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I imagine Baguette is going to be very crowded so this is what I have been considering. Would like some input if this is too far east.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would think so, being that far east would basically obviate the need for a scout on that ridge. I expect that you should fit just east of the woods, especially if you shorten your line a bit. Right now I think our job as a division is to really condense around Croissant to make it as easy as possible to pivot in whichever direction we may need in the next stage. You should have extra space from having options at the northern side of the road, unlike your neighbor.

Please try not to have any guys past the midpoint of that small forest north of the road

Also could you please sent a company to one (or both) of the observation spots I mentioned?

I expect
- one brigade curving to the south of Croissant
- one brigade touching it to the east
- one brigade behind the woods
- one brigade just next to it, possibly also partially in the woods

Remember, long lines are of any use only if we can fit them where we need them.

Sorry if I'm being too restrictive.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 15, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
pre:
Checklist for Corps commanders:

Have I assigned the Corps assets to divisions? YES
Have I ordered the spotter plane? YES
Have I collected everyone's orders (including attachments) into one place? The invaluable Glynnenstein is maintaining them HERE.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Do I need a map for my HQ, or is saying "follow the road til you reach town" good enough?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

79th Brigade Orders

Forces:
1x Infantry Brigade incl. trench mortar
3 Cav squadrons, 1 cav mg squadron, 1 horse's arse, 1 engineer company.
4x 7.7cm artillery

Mission: To take and hold St Croissant and advance further SW if possible.

Phase one - Attack St Croissant:
We will be at the head of the Division. When we enter the area the order of march will be Light cavalry, Arse Hotillery, MG Cav, Infantry Brigade, Injuneers, Field artillery. We will travel by the Bouclecourt Road.

Division Cavalry:
Formation:

The four squadrons are to proceed to St C as fast as possible. They are to continue through any enemy fire not directly in front of them. Div Horse Artillery follows and splits off as per map.

If the way is blocked they will act according to the number of enemy units in sight:
  • If the visible enemy is two or less units, they should fire on the enemy.
  • If the enemy is three or more units, they should attempt to manoeuvre around the enemy (preferably in a NW direction) and attempt to continue to the town.
If they reach the town cav-charge any enemy. Go to a defensive stance if the town is empty.

Infantry:
Formation:

Advance via the Bouclecourt road toward St Croissant. The Brigade will deploy into battle order between the Fermes de Confit and Beurrre, or before if the way is blocked. They will then attack St Croissant using rifle fire. If more than 3 companies gain the outskirts of the town, the entire brigade is to attempt a bayonet charge on enemies inside the town.

The trench mortar should set up as soon as it is in range of the far side of the town.

If the town has been occupied by a brigade or greater (more than 7 units visible in or contiguous with the town) change to a defensive footing and concentrate on firing at the enemy. The attack will resume when less than five units are visible or upon command.

Division Artillery:
Set up here:

Engineers:

Follow the infantry. If they are forced to defensive stance, begin trenches that the infantry can use.

Standing orders during phase one:
Attackers sighted: as above.
Advance with rifle fire, except in the case above.
Do not pursue the enemy.
Break off at 2/3 casualties.

Phase two - Fortifying:
Phase two only begins once the town is clear of enemies.

Infantry brigade:
Deploy to defend the town and then go to defensive stance. Entrench where possible:

My units have the yellow dots.

Cavalry:
If the Infantry hasn't caught up, wait for them to arrive at the town. Then move to the Gooneville woods and take up a defensive stance with one unit looking outward and the rest of the formation inside. Entrench. We'll retask or reassign to another command as required, but if they're still there when Hey Gail's troops arrive, then the cav should move back to the NE side of the woods to allow her to take up her positions.

Engineers:
Dig a second line trench between St C and Gooneville wood.

Artillery including Hoe Astillery:
remain in place and entrench.

Standing orders during phase two:
Attackers sighted: Halt and defend against attacking enemy.
Advance with rifle fire
Don't pursue enemy
Break off at 2/3 Casualties

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
16th Bde, 19th Div

16th Brigade will move out using the road through Nainville, moving out after any forces that are to be active in the battle for Croissant. Meanwhile, cavalry scouts will deploy to Baguende using the shortest possible route. The brigade will then form up in line of battle in Bois du Baguette, pointing as many guns as possible towards the enemy.

The brigade will form up in defensive stance according to the diagram below, in such a way that the front is aligned with the southern edge of the forest.

Artillery assets will form up at the indicated position to provide fire support for the seizure of Croissant.

Standing orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:
Keep moving along original path

Break Off automatically when
2/3 casualties are taken

Covski fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 16, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
:siren: Brigadiers, we have less than twenty four hours until deadline!

So far, the following have not posted any orders in graphic form, even working ones:

Tias
The Sandman (but I am informed he is going to post them today and have no reason to doubt it, considering his exemplary activity in Roll20)
Ikasuhito

NastyToes has posted working orders, but they are not yet final. Inasmuch as they probably could work in a pinch, he is implored to develop them into a final form ASAP.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Does anyone have word of Tias?

e: whoops beaten

e: Jaguars!, that looks good

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Short message for Ikasuhito - please include a conditional that if you see no enemy presence at Croissant, you will set up shop in the space directly between the town and Baguette woods.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
are we sure Ikasuhito exists? all i have heard is rumors

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm just kind of frozen in panic because I don't really understand the rules :mil101:

I will re-read this thread now and post my order set.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Digest of Rules:

Always
Bayonet
Charge

The rest will look after itself

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Literally as I was typing up a question about whether I should leave my standing order as bayonet charge or switch to rifle fire.

Tias
May 25, 2008

7th Jäger orders, Final Form

Preamble: o jeez o jeez, I'm really more of a roleplayer than a wargamer. Before I die charging heroically into a hail of MG fire, I WILL say that I strongly believe in the mission, my corps and division commanders, the kaiser with a laurel on top, and killing poo poo with a rifle :black101:

Picture:

The 7th Jägers will, upon map entry, GO WEST with all possible haste, engaging roads by marching orders where possible, using their sharp hunters ears to pick out any fighting around St. Croissants and stay well clear of it. If Then they will spread out their formation, mounting and using bicycles to cover easy ground. At all times will the foot infantry advance ahead of the MGs and the cyclists ahead of the foot infantry, for ease of retreat.

Route ONE will probably not be used, and only takes place assuming violent fighting has already, and audibly, pushed our troops on the defense around St. Croissants.

Route TWO is preferred, and will see the 7th push full speed to a scouting position west of Gooneville wood. The FLAT arrow assumes heavy enemy presence that would make an advance onto Bois de Houte place the company in contact with the enemy, the arrow-shaped wedge is the PREFERRED avenue of approach, wherein forward parties take cover around the hilltop and scout for the enemy.

Runners and Contact

At all times the 7th will try to stay within touch, and if not, within visual range, of the 77 bde.

When we see the enemy, auto-dispatch a runner.

(It is correctly assumed I can't just tell the 77th bde when it's being approached by enemies, right?)

Assuming the enemy hasn't shown up yet when we get to the hill, we will entrench MGs at the foot of the hill, and entrench Jägers on the hillside.

While still scouting, BREAK OFF AT CONTACT. After Entrenching, Break off at 1/3 losses.

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 15, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's your rationale for the southern route? The road?

Tias
May 25, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

What's your rationale for the southern route? The road?

Yeah, extra march mileage so I beat the french to the hill.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

Yeah, extra march mileage so I beat the french to the hill.

Yeah. I was torn between whether trying to be sneaky might not be better but speed is the safer pick. Keeps you closer to support too. Route 2 it is. Good luck!

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can't imagine they'd not at least play it safe enough to feel out the city centre first. Thanks, dulce est.. !

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of communication. I am here but it's been a really weird week and it's been very tough to get to this. But I do know what I need to do and I will get my orders in just as soon as I get off work tonight.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

I will finish my orders once I get off work.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

HEY GAIL: is the infantry on the road set back from your line the Trench Mortar unit? It isn't marked on your formation diagram.
Tias: we need a formation diagram from you.
Covski: we need a formation diagram from you.
Nasty Toes: Nevermind, I see the trench mortar. Oops!

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 16, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Covski: we need a formation diagram from you.

Is there a way to access the templates without access to Photoshop that I've missed, or any other easy way to whip up a pretty diagram easily?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Covski posted:

Is there a way to access the templates without access to Photoshop that I've missed, or any other easy way to whip up a pretty diagram easily?

If you have Windows, paint.net is very easy to use. Should be able to download the maps in the thread and create a new layer for each unit icon so you can move it around on top of the map with minimal familiarity with the program.

If you aren't on Windows someone else will have to suggest a good program. Gimp, maybe?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hop onto roll 20, copy a brigade worth of units, arrange it in the space below the map and then take and crop a screenshot.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Ah, duh. I have paint.net, I just didn't consider getting the unit icons from any place other than the .psd I had no way of opening. :downs: I'll get it done and edit it into my previous orders post before the deadline. Thanks!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Official Historian's Survey: Turn 0

In among the vast amount of paperwork for a general officer to deal with on the eve of battle, you find a note from the Official Historian, urging you to set out your honest and unrestrained views now for posterity and the benefit of future officers and servants of the Empire. He asks that you answer all, some, or fewer of the following questions, and assures you that they will be kept most secret until the end of the war.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Post ITT. Keep the observer thread supplied with content.

edit: on the other side of the hill, one general replied with a deeply heartfelt letter to his beloved on the eve of battle, which still managed to hit all these points; another responded entirely in the medium of SNL Sean Spicer gifs. Just saying, la.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 16, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

1. In the finest Teutonic tradition, this battle has been planned and wargamed so thoroughly it's almost a fault. Assuming things go (roughly) the way we expect, we should have a compact and dug in formation around St. Croissant that should be essentially impossible to dislodge unless the French outnumber us to an incredible degree, and be well prepared to launch an assault on our main objective. The problem is in the lack of flexibility and undue faith in underlying assumptions. Namely, I still don't feel we've adequately prepared for the possibility that the French will enter from the southeastern edge of the map instead of the center. While there are technically contingency plans if that turns out to be the case, they amount to little more than "we'll just turn around and deal with them" and it seems that most of my fellows don't take the possibility as seriously as they should. I'm somewhat reassured by the fact that our formations are compact and easy to maneuver, and that if the French do come from the SE we should know relatively quickly and be able to adjust accordingly, but our current plans are rigidly focused on a meeting engagement fought mainly over St. Croissant against an enemy approaching from opposite us.

2. Personally, I believe my brigade level plans are more than up to the task of accomplishing my orders of securing a line west of St. Croissant. While I'm somewhat worried about not being aggressive enough, it's far better to take a more cautious approach than to display undue "élan." The proximity of my main line to the farms that may conceal enemies lying in ambush is also of concern, but no matter where the French enter the map from they likely wouldn't be able to get more than some cavalry into there without being spotted so at least I don't have to be paranoid about an entire infantry brigade waiting with fixed bayonets to charge my flank.

3. Taking St. Croissant should be easily accomplished no matter where the French come from, at the very least. As to Objective Q, if the French enter from the center taking the town may require basically completely destroying them - no mean feat, though of course I never doubt for a second that we could accomplish it with proper planning and preparation. If the French enter from the SE, then matters become more complex. Taking Objective Q is much easier, as the French would have far less time to garrison and dig in around the town. It does, however, put us in danger of having our eastern flank turned, and in the worst case scenario, being cut off from headquarters and even surrounded and routed or destroyed.

4. Initial contact with the French. If the enter from the center this will most likely occur in and around St. Croissants, resulting in a grand battle, the winner of which will likely hold the strategic initiative for the rest of the battle. If the French enter from the SE, initial contact will most likely be a large portion of their force engaging our eastern flank. If this is the case, we will have to act quickly, decisively, and cool-headedly to prevent the flank collapsing and the potential disasters that implies. No matter what, the initial battles and disposition may well decide who carries the day.

5. Optimistically, we can secure St. Croissant with little or even no fighting, effectively contain the French to a portion (maybe 1/3 or even 1/4) of the map, and proceed to march on Objective Q or dismantle enemy forces at our leisure. Severely degrading the French forces while maintaining the majority of our own strength, in addition to securing our strategic objectives is the most optimistic outcome of this battle.

6. Pessimistically, we are defeated without managing to hold a single objective, and possibly even routed or destroyed. A disastrous meeting engagement over St. Croissant my well force us to pull back towards our starting area and dig in, effectively containing us into a corner of the map while the French go about accomplishing whatever objectives they may have. Alternatively, the French come from the SE and break through our flank, cutting off the units in St. Croissant and rolling up the line. While that's the worst case scenario, a more realistic one would perhaps be spotting the French in the SE and overreacting - while we may not be utterly annihilated, becoming panicked by an unexpected advance. Diverting too many resources away from St. Croissant and our original plan may pull us out of position and again lead to us not being able to hold any objectives, or at best holding St. Croissant but at a positional disadvantage and without enough strength to push onwards.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
19th Division, 13th Brigade ("The Baker's Dozens") Orders

Alright men, here's how we're going to do this.

First, the cavalry. Listen up, because this is is important.

Enter the map along with your machine gun and arse hortillery as shown in the following image, which should take two full turns and part of a third:

Once there, you are to proceed as follows.

1) Enter the village of Saint Croissant

2a) Should you encounter enemy units, and not be immediately gunned down, retreat your company into Baguette next turn. The MG and hortillery will remain in the Outskirts of Baguette and not fire until fired upon or ordered to in a later step of the overall plan.

2b) If by some miracle Saint Croissant is empty, continue through town to the following location in the southern Outskirts:

3) Should the cavalry accomplish this, the MG is to follow as per this image:

This should be occurring on turn 3 as well.

4) At the start of Turn 4, the cavalry in the Outskirts dismounts. Then, if and only if they spot Frenchmen marching on a direct course towards Saint Croissant and within 8" of themselves, they are to open fire, supported by the MG in Saint Croissant and the artillery in the western Outskirts of Baguette.

5a) On Turn 5, should they have fired upon Frenchmen in Turn 4, the cavalry is to pull back as follows, with the MG taking up position in the Outskirts of Baguette and the cavalry in the Outskirts of Saint Croissant:

5b) If they did not fire on any Frenchmen in Turn 4, remain in position. If Frenchmen are spotted as per Step 4, fire as per that step.

6a) On Turn 6, the cavalry remounts, then falls back into the Outskirts of Baguette, while the MG moves into Baguette proper, as in this image:

6b) If the cavalry fired on Frenchmen in Turn 5 as per step 5b, move as per step 5a.

6c) If they did not fire on Frenchmen in Turn 5, continue to follow orders as per step 4.

Now, for the infantry.

1) Enter the map in March Order, proceeding for the first three turns as follows:

From this point, your movements will diverge depending on what happens to the cavalry.

2a) If the cavalry was fired upon or otherwise repulsed by French troops while attempting to enter Saint Croissant, leave the road on turn 4 and shake out into Battle Order as per the following diagram:

2b) If the cavalry has entered Saint Croissant unopposed, continue in March Order for another turn to reach Baguette:

3a) Following 2a, move a full 8" on turn 5 in the following direction, to reach the position and formation that will be depicted in Step 4a:

3b) If the cavalry fired upon French troops south of Saint Croissant on Turn 4, shake out into Battle Order as shown below on Turn 5, with the cavalry MG and hortillery moving as needed:

Guns are to unlimber this turn if allowed.

3c) If the cavalry is still unmolested south of Saint Croissant, Ikasuhito's three 7.7cm guns will be returned to his command at the start of Turn 5. The brigade is to continue in March Order for Turns 5, 6 and 7 as per the map below:

It will then assume final positions in Battle Order as per the image below and go into Defensive Stance, with the guns unlimbering:

The Engineer will begin entrenching on my left flank and proceed as per the following arrow, with MGs shifting position as needed to allow him to continue digging:

4a) On Turn 6, the brigade is to advance 4" as per the following diagram and open fire on any Frenchmen within range:

The guns are to unlimber this turn. Please refer to the map in Step 5a for the actual position of the northern howitzer, as one of my staff seems to have nudged it onto its neighboring battery.

The cavalry MG and arse hortillery should open fire at this time.

4b) If not able to do so during Turn 5, the guns unlimber now. The rest of the brigade advances 4" as per the line marked "1." on the below map and opens fire on any Frenchmen within range:

The cavalry MG and arse hortillery should open fire at this time.

5a) On Turn 7, the infantry is to launch a bayonet charge the remaining 8" into Saint Croissant as per the map below, supported by the brigade's MGs and artillery:

5b) On Turn 7, the infantry is to launch a bayonet charge the remaining 8" into Saint Croissant as per the arrow marked "2." on the map below, supported by the brigade's MGs and artillery:

6) The infantry is to clear Saint Croissant. If no more than 1/3 of the infantry companies are lost in the assault, they are to pursue any retreating Frenchmen only as far as necessary to set up the positions in the map below, the same as in step 3c:

Missing infantry companies are to be removed from the formation with the following priority: the company immediately adjacent to the southern 10cm howitzer, the northernmost company in cover at Fraise-Champs, the easternmost company in cover at Fraise-Champs, and the second-northernmost company in cover at Fraise-Champs.

If more than 1/3 of the infantry companies are lost in the assault, the brigade is to hold in place in the town until the 79th Brigade has come up, then withdraw to the immediate northeast of Saint Croissant and await further orders.

7) Rename Saint Croissant to Sankt Kipferl.

Addenda:

1) In the event that Steps 2a or 3b trigger, the engineer company is to requisition barbed wire from the Ferme de Beurre. If step 3c triggers, the engineer is to requisition barbed wire from Fraise-Champs once it finishes digging the trench line to the eastern edge of Fraise-Champs. In either instance, he is to ensure that he does not interfere with the field of fire of any of the artillery.

2) In the event that Step 3c triggers but Frenchmen are encountered en route to the final positions, assume Battle Order as per Step 3b, facing the Frenchmen. Advance in 4" increments with MG and artillery support until the final positions as per Steps 3c/6 have been reached, then switch to Defensive Stance and await further orders.

Standing Orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path

When attacking the enemy: Launch a Bayonet Charge/Cavalry Charge

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue only when indicated in specific orders

Break Off automatically when: On Attack Stance, 2/3 casualties are taken. On Defense Stance, fight to the last man.

I believe that should be everything.

...oh, wait, one more thing. Any instance of "Frenchmen" in the above orders should be considered to also include Belgians, British, Luxembourgers or any other members of the motley alliance arrayed against the will of our Kaiser. If you believe otherwise, you get to lead the charge and personally confirm the enemy's nationality.

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 16, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1. Good
2. They're as good as they can be but not a magic bullet
3. Reasonably
4. poetry Who gets to the town first
5. We take ground in a diagonal line from upper left to lower right with a salient toward Quatreprouts
6. We're stuck in our quarter of the map

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Sandman posted:

19th Division, 13th Brigade ("The Baker's Dozens") Orders

Interesting, if the town has any opposition we're going to turn up in a more or less coordinated assault with two reinforced brigades with reserves close behind. Should make for a hell of a dust-up:unsmigghh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Official Historian's Survey: Turn 0

In among the vast amount of paperwork for a general officer to deal with on the eve of battle, you find a note from the Official Historian, urging you to set out your honest and unrestrained views now for posterity and the benefit of future officers and servants of the Empire. He asks that you answer all, some, or fewer of the following questions, and assures you that they will be kept most secret until the end of the war.

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Post ITT. Keep the observer thread supplied with content.

edit: on the other side of the hill, one general replied with a deeply heartfelt letter to his beloved on the eve of battle, which still managed to hit all these points; another responded entirely in the medium of SNL Sean Spicer gifs. Just saying, la.
Young brigadier HEGEL sits at the rough farmhouse table, the noise from outside fading--voices: this brigade is Brunswickers, and it's hard to understand their dialect unless he concentrates. Woodsmoke and tobacco. The original inhabitants of the place have long since fled.

He takes the paper off the stack, and holds it in the hand that doesn't have the book. Tomorrow we will meet the enemy, he thinks. He is unmarried, and there is no woman back home to spill his heart to; he's never had the time for such things, with his military career and his scholarly interests. So it does him good to put his thoughts on paper, even if only to an anonymous bureaucrat. Perhaps I could imagine that I am writing to von Moltke, he thinks; he knows him socially, but they are no more than glancingly acquainted.

He sets the book aside, lights a cigarette, and picks up his fountain pen.

In accordance with Prussian officer training since our fight for freedom against Napoleon, each one of us knows what the objective is and has workshoppped his path to it. We have planned exhaustively for this engagement. And yet, our success depends on so many things going off without a hitch. How can we know that the enemy will be where we think they will be? We are racing to secure Saint Croissant from an assault from the southwest, very well, but do we know that the enemy intends what we believe they do? If I were them I'd want that junction, but...There are too many variables.

The battle hinges, as I see it, on position. If we and the French end up attempting to pivot around each other, things will be dicey until we can regroup. If we and the French end up attempting to pivot around each other and we fail, they may turn our flank.

If the French take the high ground before we do, things will be difficult for us for a long time.

If God gives us success--that's superstitious, this is the modern age, not 400 years ago!--if we are successful, we will secure the vital junction at St. Croissant and control the roads and railway line which it commands. From there, we may push to Quatreprouts. If we fail, we will be confined to the low ground before the ridges. The worst case scenario for the 77th is that we end up attacking a fortified position uphill, in the open. Der Grosse Fritz could do that, but not even he could do that every single time. And Old Fritz's enemies didn't have machine guns.

Outwardly I am a picture of calm. When I stop writing I will walk among the men of the 77th and I will smile, make conversation, buck them up for the morning. I will be the picture of an officer of the Second Empire. But my soul is full of doubts.

I take comfort in knowing that whatever happens, I will have done my duty.

"To save all we must risk all"--Schiller.

Brigadier HEGEL stares at the paper for a minute, blowing on the wet ink, then folds it gently and throws it into the fireplace, watching it curl and blacken in the flames. Then he walks to the door and calls to his aide. "Fuhrmann," he says, "it seems I have blotted this copy of the Historian's Survey. Please obtain another one for me from HQ."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 16, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

glynnenstein posted:

HEY GAIL: is the infantry on the road set back from your line the Trench Mortar unit? It isn't marked on your formation diagram.
yo yo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As somebody who is time zone illiterate, how much time is left?

We did our best given the limited information available, and I think the plan we made gives us badly needed tactical adaptability, which is the most important thing in a fog of war scenario like this.

See above.

lol, like a give a poo poo. Croissant is the only thing that's on my radar now, and if we defeat the French in battle, then I may consider looking at the other objectives.

Saint Croissant controls the road system, and the center of the map, though it is not is a good position, observation wise. I think any team with offensive objectives of any sort will have to tackle that town.

Us repelling a French attack that comes after we had already regrouped around our first objective.

A grind to remove entrenched Frenchmen from southern ridges.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Tias got probated got into a fight with a brother officer and is now cooling his heels until he sobers up/while the lawsuit is pending, so he wanted me to give y'all this:

quote:

I couldn't tell what markers were for what, so the key is: Crossed square = bicycle, slashed square = infantry and MG = MG. The upper diagram is for the advance along roads and the lower for entrenching on Anschluss Knob.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 16, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Sandman posted:

...oh, wait, one more thing. Any instance of "Frenchmen" in the above orders should be considered to also include Belgians, British, Luxembourgers or any other members of the motley alliance arrayed against the will of our Kaiser. If you believe otherwise, you get to lead the charge and personally confirm the enemy's nationality.
Belgians will kill you dead if they get a chance. Shoot you in the back too, I've heard--maybe from a window or a barn, maybe they're hiding when they do it. Sometimes, this makes the men panic.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

19th Division, 15th Brigade Reporting In

Brigade shall inter the map on march order behind 13th Brigade to point on Pasteur Ridge as shown

At witch point the 15th shall take one of two paths. (A/B)

(A).Should 13th's recon come under fire Brigade should wait until the 13th deploys into Ferma de Burre and then deploy as shown.

Once the 13th launches it's attack, Brigade should move to the edge of Burre.

Should the 13th be victorious Brigade should pivot south and move to Final Position
Should the 13th be forced to retreat Brigade should launch a bayonet charge and take the city. After words the Brigade should move on to their Final Position

(B).Should 13th's recon report the all clear, Brigade shall continue on to just north of Baguette and await the 13th's reforming.

After the 13th has moved on Brigade shall move into Baguette and deploy into battle order.

If No fighting is taking place within Croissant Brigade shall deploy SE of the City as shown (or the closest it can manage with it so cramped.)(((Final Position)))

If fighting is taking place in Croissant Stand to and await outcome.

If 13th Brigade should withdraw. Launch a Bayonet charge and take the city. Then move to Final Position

If 13th is victories move south and deploy as shown in Final Position.

Standing Orders.

If enemies are spotted during Attack Stance: Do not engage and continue orders as given.
When attacking: Give them the Bayonet!
If the enemy flees do not pursue.
While Attacking fight until 2/3 strength. When defending, fight to the death!

Ikasuhito fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Feb 16, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
retreating is good though, it allows you to regroup and counterattack

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: 19th Division, 14th Brigade Orders :siren:

It looks like Covski is setting up in Bois de Baguette so I will deploy to their east.

This is my attack formation. The artillery should be kept 2 inches behind the infantry so they can fire over them.

1. My brigade should be last in the marching order.
2. The cavalry company should split off immediately and head to the outskirts of Baguende along the cyan path. If it is attacked or there are enemy units within 12 inches of it, it should retreat toward Baguette to link back up with my HQ.
3. The rest of the brigade will march down the road at the rear of the column and deploy east of Bois de Baguette as shown by the blue path. Switch to defensive stance, unlimber the artillery and wait for new orders.

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path.
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

All right though, for real. You're probably interested in my point of view quite a lot, since I'm at the top of the food chain and a bunch of memes just won't cut it, right?

Here it goes.

1. I feel we wasted plenty of time discussing things that turned out to be of no consequence. On the flip side, everyone has managed to post their orders on time, we have two alternative plans we can use to press our advantage based on actual French deployments, and I have confident and skilful division commanders to help turn them into reality.

2. In the short term, very confident. Phase 1 I think should be little more than a formality, our approaches to St Croissant are far more advantageous than anything the French may throw at us. In the longer term, I have overthought this way too much to not see how many places there are that you could fit a spanner in perfectly well. I just know how many things can go wrong and how little have to go wrong to derail our plans, so I must worry. That's my job.

3. I feel confident in our flank security and the capture of St Croissant. I am fairly certain we should be able to preserve our forces fairly well. I think taking Quatrepourts will require a great deal of effort and some luck, but is not impossible.

4. The French deployments, especially around the ridges. If we strike at the wrong place, we will be hard-pressed to carry on with our advance. But if they deploy poorly, we'll be ready for any mistakes they can make, and will strive to punish those.

5. Optimistically, the French will waste a significant part of their force on an ill-advised offensive somewhere (likely Gooneville or Baguette) while we then press on to the ridges and evict their now-weakened force. Alternatively, they deploy poorly in their defence of Dejeuner Ridge, letting a determined offensive take the hill and thus a commanding overwatch onto the objective. We may then be able to seize Q, but holding it against supposed French reinforcements and reaction will definitely be a challenge.

6. Both sides get stuck in a bloody impasse around St Croissant. We misplace some brigades, who then get chopped down by French artillery, leaving us in no position to continue the assault as the battle shifts into a stalemate. Over time, if we are unlucky, the French may cause enough attrition to us to trigger our defeat.

• Locked thread