Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jaguars! posted:

Sniper, As I see it, you have two choices for that artillery brigade: move it north into the next trench or couterfire the enemy position for the whole update.

Moving into the next trenches is a prudent move that will preserve your guns. You might even get to keep that heavy howitzer which will be handy. While it puts offensive support out of the question, it's an excellent support position for the units in FdE.

Counterfiring the enemy is of course risky. They might hit your trenches and cause further casualties or even eliminate your gun line. But it allows you to fire at the last known gun position. If you take this option, smash the enemy forward trench for the whole update.

Somehow I missed that more guns are due to arrive and I was definitely leaning toward evasive action. With more guns available, it might be worth it to take the risk. Couterfire opportunities are extremely hard to come by. And of course, next turn you'll have to move as they counter-counter battery.

Don't forget, you aren't the only target out there. I'm hoping they will react to the discovery of Kevz brigade and pull resources from whatever they're planning next, and they might hit Saros' trenches too.

I don't think advancing to the next trenches is necessarily safer. If I were the enemy, I would probably assume that our reaction to being shelled in the open would be to advance to the next safe spot. Especially if they are not certain whether the shelled units managed to dig some trenches for themselves. The alternatives would be staying put or crossing the river back. The latter is unlikely from a psychological perspective (retreating is bad for morale, and who has retreated in this game so far), as well as compromising our FdE troops, which they certainly realize, and I'm not sure they can fire that far anyway. They also probably know that either we would run away from a shelled area, in which case a continued bombardment of the same spot would be a waste, or we would already be fortified, in which case the effectiveness would drop off. Overall I think the variant with us advancing into a forest trench line is backed by the most concrete and certain indicators on the map (they know those trenches are there, and they know they are tempting for us), and also carry the bonus that even if our guns do not retreat there, they may be occupied by another unit.

Then it depends entirely on their guess as to which target is more likely to be occupied, and also if they should actually continue targeting the same battery at all.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Why not wait for the new division before advancing? That way the whole advance doesn't evaporate at the first sign of trouble, leaving us pantsless.

Added Space posted:

I'm not so much advancing as sweeping the area. Our best chance to stop any enemy doing another crossing is at the fords, so if we defend there we're in a much better place then if we give them room to assemble on the east bank.

My orders were, above all, to keep brigades alive so they can receive reinforcements. Scouting was added as a secondary mission that can only be done in service of the first one. In chain of command terms I don't want this to be a strict military style hierarchy because it sucks to be the guy on the bottom, but I expect you to consider your div commanders concerns, even when he hasn't issued any orders.

I'm not going to say whether the scouting mission goes ahead or not, that's down to you guys to reach an agreement.

Added Space, the enemy's capabilities and limitations must always be considered to issue good orders. Who is he and what will he do? Narrow it down. Will there be a brigade in your area of responsibility? Maybe. Where is it? Could be anywhere from the back of the bois de blob to already over the ford. Will it attack or defend? I try provide my thoughts in the orders, if you need more guidance then see all the intel navel gazing we've been doing recently.

In the case of your current orders, what happens if he crosses the ford and meets you coming the other way? If your brigade in it's finished positions gets attacked by a 17 man BEF brigade, will you fufill the primary mission?

Steinrokkan, I've seen your post but dealing with all the issues that're coming up is starting to do my head in. I'll consider it and check back later.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ok, that's a long chain of reasoning, but point taken. Note that moving north will put our guns out of range of guns #1. Guns number 2 didn't join in on the shelling last time despite plenty of time to do so, so I'm inclined to think they're out of range as well. I don't get why they moved them, but they did, and a quick reposition would have seen supporting fire from them. If they moved to that trench at the back then they're out of range.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

About 12 hours to go, get your orders in.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Added Space, you're on the forward edge of the battle area. Advancing towards the enemy is advancing towards the enemy, no matter what you call it. If you meet any snag whatsoever, enemy bde, arty, you go poof. And you're not making good use of terrain in stopping so close to the river, they are at leisure to just emplace on the other bank and blast you with impunity. If you wanna secure the river crossings stop so that the crossings are on the edge of your MG range so you can pick them off as they struggle across.

Jaguars! posted:

About 12 hours to go, get your orders in.

Did I miss yours? I've been waiting for you.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

back here

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Well get mine in on the morning, Will be concerntrated barrage on last known gun position by the Northern Brigade, Southern will remain on support.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Movement orders:

None

Standing orders:

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at: 2/3 casualties

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

IV Corps

40th Saxons

86th

88th

26th Division

51st

52nd

53rd

54th no change. but subject to change IYKWIM

Artillery

Engineers - subject to change

Keep getting orders in, issue emergency ones if we're getting close to time. Refer to divisional orders if nothing issued.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 10, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

koolkevz666 posted:

Movement orders:

None

Standing orders:

When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at: 2/3 casualties

You do realize that there are heavy guns close to the west of you and infantry just south of you? If you stay still you're going to die.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Added Space posted:

You do realize that there are heavy guns close to the west of you and infantry just south of you? If you stay still you're going to die.

He's in a prepared position (read: trenches in a forest) as night starts to fall. Moving exposes him when he's actually in a pretty decent position, all things considered. Better to not get lost in the dark or stumble into the enemy while giving up our defensive advantage when the enemy may be preparing an assault.

Edit: We can think of moving him later, right now it's best he stays put.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 10, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Added Space, I think Saros is probably out of comms for the moment, could you do the engineers and I'll make a call about the 54th

E: The 54th can stay and provide spotting, I don't want anyone moving into that trench unnoticed. I'm going to rely on the automatic breakoff to disengage them if they get bombarded or attacked.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 10, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Jaguars! posted:

Added Space, I think Saros is probably out of comms for the moment, could you do the engineers and I'll make a call about the 54th

Sorry, I have to get to work right now so I can't.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

ok sweet

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Engineers

North engineer to entrench the 10cm howitzer, then provide wire immediately to the west of the 51st brigade, starting from the bde's southern corner.

Middle engineer to wire from 5" SW of the Taillis douche and work northward.

South engineer to continue the trenches, then emplace wire 4" to the west of the trenches.

If an enemy is sighted, engineers are to retreat in the opposite direction immediately.

Sorry for the lack of detail, it's 1AM and I was already in sleep deficit. If anyone wants to override or provide pics then please do so cause my judgement is prob horrible right now. Ditto 54th brigade

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 10, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hold the fort.
Standing orders
When attacking the enemy,Rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Do not pursue
Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties - we want to keep a HQ to reinforce, right?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Artillery Orders

Northern Brigade

Begin counter battery fire. Repeat the following fire missions as long as possible. Red = southern 2 FK + howitzer, Yellow = northern 2 FK. Only the howitzer is in range of the southern enemy guntrench, so I figured best to just have it work over the northern trench with the FKs.

Southern Brigade

Supporting fire.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

:siren: Orders, SaxonD :siren:

Both brigades:

I'm really sorry Added Space and I feel like a dick but the proposed scout move goes right towards the enemy and a BEF brigade will just instagib you and I feel that you are more useful to the Corps holding down our current, slightly defensible line.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Fathis Munk posted:

3. If you have not found anything, get into marching formation and get onto the road, follow it until Stethoscope then head north and west to get back towards the Foret d'Effyadiers.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, Turn and move directly towards enemy.
When attacking the enemy, Launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, Pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Battle Formation

Attempt to maintain Battle Formation :

I'll be around on phone during the day tomorrow so I can amend stuff if needed.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hold

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

any last minute orders we need to give? seems like standing orders should get most of the brigades through the update anyway

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

oh yeah I should probably remember to post and say that the adjudication's underway

edit: don't look for it before tomorrow

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 10, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Okay well i'm back.

OH GOD THE ARTILLERY WHY DID NOBODY LISTEN :suicide:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They are all dead, aren't they.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
What if they held a war

and the generals said "hang on, I need more time to move around all your markers".

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Artillery falls, everybody dies.

vv Agree. Assuming things just got busy.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 13, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hope Trin is okay?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He's been sucked into the game board to learn some sort of moral lesson ala a 90s comedy.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

He's been sucked into the game board to learn some sort of moral lesson ala a 90s comedy.
I can just picture him having to try to do daily chores in the plan four hours in advance format. All getting stuck at the cash register for two hours because he forgot to add a conditional for the cashier asking him for exact change. HOW DO YOU LIKE IT NOW, TRIN?? :argh:

Geena Davis as the love interest, Bill Murray as Trin, Bob Goldthwait as Haig.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 13, 2017

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah, trin being ok is hope #1, but if that doesn't work out than a jumanji scenario is the next-best option

or maybe an edge of tomorrow scenario where he has to endlessly live through some doomed trench attack until he figures out combined-arms tactics, preferably with Louis Barthas hanging out being grognardy

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 13, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
This is WWI we're talking about - even if he avoided getting shot he probably died of cholera.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Serves him right making me feel solidarity with General Haig :colbert:

Now I'm off to make some diary entries about how bad I feel for all those soldiers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

aphid_licker posted:

I can just picture him having to try to do daily chores in the plan four hours in advance format. All getting stuck at the cash register for two hours because he forgot to add a conditional for the cashier asking him for exact change. HOW DO YOU LIKE IT NOW, TRIN?? :argh:

Geena Davis as the love interest, Bill Murray as Trin, Bob Goldthwait as Haig.

*Trin, cowering in a bunker behind his best friend's tattered remains, as an enemy flamethrower crew moves in*
Jeepers, you were right, Coily The Spring Sprite, a world without springs sure ain't nice!"

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
*furiously rolls dice hoping the flamethrower crew breaks before it reaches him*

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The game is on suspension until next week, at least; I'm just too busy at the moment to run turns.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Just glad to know that your okay at least

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well, here's hoping it's at least the good kind of busy. Also, yes, nice to know you aren't dead.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Etc etc above above. We'll be here!

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
These things happen.

So, anyway, night's going to fall whenever the turn gets processed. Assuming the southern pocket is clear we have to decide where we're sending our Jagers. There's three options. We can deploy them across the northern bridge and try to maintain our foothold and possibly counterattack. We can deploy them across the southern sneak bridge, trusting that the north can hold well enough with reduced units and hit a weaker flank. Or, we could spread them out along the front and announce that we're digging in and abandoning further offenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

edit: and yeah trin hope all is well, all lps take breaks and when you're ready to push things forward again we'll be ready too. thanks for all the effort

---

i'm starting to think that we need the reinforcements to hold the FdE tomorrow. right now our forces in the FdE and in the TD/CC are nearly equal in strength, and we need more strength in the FdE

in other words:
if the enemy sends their reinforcements against our position in the south as-is:
-i think we win - they'd have trouble getting artillery within range to hit our trenches, much as we do in the north. we're fairly well off from a fatigue perspective here, and having fewer brigades with higher strength is better for avoiding getting routed

if they send their reinforcements against our position in the north as-is...
-lots of fresh enemies pushing fatigued brigades which are constantly getting pushed toward morale checks by attrition from artillery fire means we could lose our position

another important factor in the comparison between these two is that i think it's pretty likely that the enemy has a reinforcement point on the S end of that N-S road west of the forests to mirror our reinforcement point on the N end of the CC. our reinforcements would beat theirs to the FdE by quite a bit. depending on whether kev is still holding out when this update gets completed (and whatever other factors im too dumb to foresee), that might give us a chance to clear the forest on the one hand or avoid getting us pushed out of the drat thing on the other.

therefore we need to reinforce in the north, and the tough-to-rout veteran chits will be great for the job. if that allows for offensives tomorrow, perfect, but the attrition rate intrinsic to holding a forward position is clearly a lot higher than at least i would've thought one day ago in game time, and we need to respond to that

given our need to hold the forward position to come out of the scenario with a win, i think we just need to put more chits up there, hold the position at worst, and take any opportunity that might arise to get out of the forest at best.

we're going to have to think about how we use these formations once we see them. it sucks to constantly neutralize our TMs, but i'm not sure if we have a choice - the other advantages of the forest seem to be allowing us to win on defense there anyway

jagers with bikes and poo poo might have some of their advantages wasted in a forest, but i think the game board just doesn't offer us a good opportunity to use those advantages (unless we do take full control of the FdE tomorrow and can consider offensive options, but that's another argument for having them up there, really)

right now, we just need to put the chits in the right place. their veterancy will help them avoid getting routed by indirect fire, that'll be nice

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread