Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Taking the fact that both our divisions can apparently still give orders as a welcome bit of good news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Trin Tragula posted:

:siren: Turn 7 has ended. It is 1000. Update to come ASAP. Both divisions, stand by to give new orders pending final adjudication. :siren:

"Nah I think I will wait a few hours, make em sweat."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Units with a red dot on them have been killed and are removed at the start of the next turn. Units with a white dot have been suppressed; they cannot move or fire unless they rally at the end of a turn. Unless, that is, they've been forced to retreat suppressed, in which case they run away for two turns and then are suppressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9b9UhFe6Eg

Turn 5: 0900
German initiative

Your triumphant march on Saint Croissant continues unabated.

Here's what you see.

One of the French guns on La Cote has unlimbered itself; it opens fire and picks off a company at the rear of the train. (Not depicted because I have separate blocks for Marching Order, but it will be reflected when the rearmost brigade goes to Battle Order.)

Nothing else happens this turn; 13th Division's cavalry has moved back the wrong side of St C, so you can't see where the French cavalry has retired to.

Turn 6: 0930
German initiative

You take Saint Croissant unopposed! Vital pastry supplies are secured for the German Empire. More of your brigades have arrived at their destinations and adopted Battle Order. And, it seems, not a moment too soon.

The French are coming down off La Cote towards you! Your guns are still limbered! Your machine guns are still moving into place! You'll have to repel this one with rifles alone.

The French return fire and you take casualties in return. Another soixante-quinze battery unlimbers atop La Cote and the two of them take out one of your FKs!

The full-size map. There is a huge gun line moving into position on the Bag Road, but it still seems to be positioning itself, never mind unlimbering.

Turn 7: 1000
German initiative

This is not half an hour that any of you will forget in a hurry. Your rear areas are a hive of activity as your gunners rush to prepare for fire; but on this turn, you will just have to do without them. Your arse hortillery does get a couple of shots off, but they're high, wide and handsome.

As the 79th moves through Saint Croissant, setting up in the outskirts without being noticed by the French, the 13th Brigade fixes bayonets and launches the game's first bayonet charge!

Those of its opponents who can do so pick a path through to the 13th's second wave and charge it in return. The 16th does so as well, (after I took the screenshot), and then further east a French battalion returns the favour.

Your arse hortillery is again firing duds; the two French batteries atop La Cote have targeting issues, but more guns are appearing up there and beginning to unlimber. It's looking quite worrisome.

Then, across the front, twelve MG/08-armed units all open fire on the French. The western French charge is repelled with heavy losses, but the targeting is not nearly so good in the east and the French close to contact.

It's all a bit confusing after that. Your western bayonet charge also suffers under French firepower. Your eastern one meets with a great deal more success...but so does the French charge! Companies are struck down and trampled, and more flee, retreating suppressed, on both sides. Rifle fire pings across the field, and again both sides suffer.

Runners go screaming back towards both divisions' HQ. A French battalion cuts off the Baguette-Nainville road only minutes after one of your runners passes. The other two who are en route stop at 14th Brigade's HQ to plan a hiking route via the conveniently-placed nearby forest.

All else remaining equal: 19th Division may send out a maximum of three runners when Turn 8 begins and at least one more when turn 9 begins. 43rd Division may send two runners out on Turn 8 and at least one more on turn 9.

:siren: The soft deadline for new orders is 12 noon next Monday 20th February. Have fun! :siren:

Next Time: Boom Boom Boom Boom, Boom Boom Boom

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well poo poo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have no idea what is going on.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm not sure I'm reading it right because I have zero experience with this game, but we seem kinda hosed

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

As the 79th moves through Saint Croissant, setting up in the outskirts without being noticed by the French, the 13th Brigade fixes bayonets and launches the game's first bayonet charge!

Holy poo poo, that's some loving Élan right there :stare:. Golden crosses for the lot of them!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If anybody has any idea what units are their brigade, if any are left, please let me know.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

steinrokkan posted:

If anybody has any idea what units are their brigade, if any are left, please let me know.

Im pretty sure mine is the one between Croissant and Baguette.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

For people who aren't in the Roll20, we apparently can't break the habit of doing all our talking in there instead of ITT.

The TL;DR is that we've figured out the French deployed in battle order right out the gate and now our flank is utterly hosed. We're all running around with our hair on fire and glaring sullenly at Trin.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This is bad.

They moved about as far as we did i think, the difference is that they happened to move into contact and we started running away from them, i.e. their movement made their sitch better and ours made ours worse.

I'm gonna charge southeast starting with the easternmost brigades. Gonna figure out how effective 78s arty is in its current position and probably expend the third runner on ordering them to rearrange. 79 seems mildly useful where it is.

Charging into that battery of 75s means curtains probably though so I'm open for better ideas.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Alternately we hedgehog in situ and charge the Jäger into ObjQ for the technical victory, which is the best kind of victory.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That honestly sounds like our best shot. Call in the reinforcements, hold the French roughly where they are, win the game on a technicality.

E: The more I look at it the more a few hundred dudes with bikes technically accomplishing the objective start to look like our only hope.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Aren't our MGs up by next turn? I doubt their cavalry will stand up the following bullet swarms.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Crazycryodude posted:

That honestly sounds like our best shot. Call in the reinforcements, hold the French roughly where they are, win the game on a technicality.

I mean, it wouldn't bet a huge technicality. Our objective is essentially to ensure a clear route from the northeast to the southwest. If we can hold both objectives and somehow firm up a front along that line, we've more or less achieved what we were supposed to do in an operational sense.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I have no idea what is going on.

Its #4

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Amazing :allears:

I think the 43rd's two runners should be used to divert the last two brigades the help the 16th. Mine will more or less be fine sitting on St C and the 78th will at least settle in a position where the can fire oont the french attacks

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Well at least I will get a turn at command fairly quickly at this rate.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

My take on the situation is that the 19th is basically a write off at this point, we can probably salvage some but that flank is not holding in any reasonable universe. The battle as a whole can still be won, though. Absolutely critical is getting a brigade or two from the 43rd to set up a defensive line, dig in, unlimber the guns, let the French march into the meatgrinder. Croissant is relatively safe right now, it's time to switch to the defensive and pin the French down while the Jaegers head to Q and hopefully win that way.

This is the really important bit - if we try to attack, we lose the game. Simple as that. We've got one objective, another is completely undefended, the majority of the enemy are tied down in a quarter of the map, and we're about to lose an entire division. This is the time for a desperate defense, not countercharging into their guns.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jaguars! posted:

Amazing :allears:

I think the 43rd's two runners should be used to divert the last two brigades the help the 16th. Mine will more or less be fine sitting on St C and the 78th will at least settle in a position where the can fire oont the french attacks

Yeah, that seems about right. The 15cm guns are a bit short range-wise at their current intended position, but by the time the orders reached them they'd already be unlimbered and everything. Better to make full use of the more mobile brigades that can relocate more quickly.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do you think we can salvage 19D's arty if I move up 76 and 77 to the Baguette-Nainville road? There's a lot of surviving guns NW of that road.

e: I want to put the infantry from 76 and 77 just outside of the range of that more westerly gunline. That will still allow us to screen some of the guns from 19th. If it works we have a bit of a defensive position. And then I think I'm really throwing the third runner at the Jägers.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thought - not this turn but later, I could send the 43rd Div cavalry way round the back to cut their telephone wires and attack div HQs. They'll almost certainly be in Livredepot, Dallas, maybe Graisse

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PS: The Corps commander is reminded that Army-level reserves are available, if he wants to ask for them.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

15th brigade is still in relatively good order. If the don't get blown apart in the next few seconds I can try to move them NW to a better position.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I'm afraid we will have to ask for them, then. If they have a spare division lying around, I'd gladly borrow it for a few hours.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

NONFINAL ORDERS, feedback welcome oh god please give me some feedback

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde

We want to save some of 19D's guns.

76bde: Advance into a line parallel to the Nainville-Baguette road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Keep your right anchored on Baguette.

77bde
Move into position on 76bde's left flank in a north-southerly orientation, ie partially up onto Pasteur Ridge.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

Then I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to 7th Jäger, ordering them to move to Haltebruit and on to ObjQ in a line hugging the western map edge.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 17, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

aphid_licker posted:

NONFINAL ORDERS, feedback welcome oh god please give me some feedback

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde

We want to save some of 19D's guns.

76bde: Advance into a line parallel to the Nainville-Baguette road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Keep your right anchored on Baguette.

77bde
Move into position on 76bde's left flank in a north-southerly orientation, ie partially up onto Pasteur Ridge.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

Then I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to 7th Jäger, ordering them to move to Haltebruit and on to ObjQ in a line hugging the western map edge.

Good plan. Less because of 19th's guns - they're probably a lost cause - but we need some room to breathe. The important part is to sort out the marching order brigades ASAP - the guns must be unlimbered pronto!

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Everything depends on how many turns we have until new orders start being acted upon. If it's two turns or more, we're hosed. If it's one turn, or by some miracle this turn, we might be able to salvage something from this debacle.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ikasuhito should basically stay where he is to anchor my projected line, everyone else should fall back on it if they survive, then we have sort of a position. Mid-term plan we shuffle 78bde around a bit but that's not as critical as the other stuff rn.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

HEGEL and I (77th and 76th) are both within 30 inches of HQ and on a road, does that mean the orders get to us this turn and we can act immediately? That would be a godsend.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

How many turns will we be out of command as the Div HQ moves?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Perestroika posted:

Bring back the Totenkopfhusaren, imo. With a proper crown princess at their head to lead them.

christ, she's hot

oh wait, is something else going on?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We have arranged for your uphill charge to conveniently take place right outside, and in fact moving towards, our very own deployment zone.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
excellent. do you want me to get that french brigade near nainville? or the one that the remnants of covski's force are stuck in with

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

HEY GAIL posted:

excellent. do you want me to get that french brigade near nainville? or the one that the remnants of covski's force are stuck in with

Do whatever it takes to save my beautiful aritllery.

Meanwhile I think I'm going to retreat to Paradise (yes, that joke has been made many times in Roll 20) because from my positions I can't really send couriers, and I'm open to enemy fire.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Problem is that my plan above involved Ikasuhitos bde, which I have been informed in R20 is for all intents and purposes irrevocably set to charge to its doom, and if I put one of my bdes into its position in the defensive line I'm not sure I can cover enough ground to include the artillery park. Maybe if I order 78ths infantry into the position Ikasuhito is abandoning to get mulched, or if I thin the lines?

e: yeah, I'm retasking the runner intended for Tias to move Perestroika into the gap, his infantry seems underused and he should be able to manhandle the guns into slightly better positions too while he's at it without relimbering them, gotta recheck those rules though.

e: our position has a distinctly Custer at Little Big Horn vibe to it rn

e: heavy guns can't move without limbering so that's bad

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 18, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
ideas:
circled machine guns, start firing asap

the 77th can haul rear end to Pasteur Ridge, form up on the high ground there, and start shooting at the french brigade near nainville
cryodude can follow me
perestroika and jaguars, form up on St. Croissant and repel the attack from the south

ikasuhito is, i guess, doomed

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Hrm. Well that sucks. All that just to get killed on turn zero, but with the added bonus of getting to watch 19th be consumed by the French tide just before it overtakes me and being helpless to do anything about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
every machine gun, shoot at the french, buy time

• Locked thread