Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'm a brigadier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

16 is a good number, I'll take it!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Both plans seem sound enough, but as some others have mentioned I'm a bit leery about the fact that they make some hard assumptions both regarding from where the French will be deploying, and what objectives they will pursue. If they are aggressively inclined they could possibly get guns onto that north-western hill, which could be a thorn in our flank.

Just something to be prepared for in my opinion, I'm never willing to underestimate the hubris of Frenchmen.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Tevery Best posted:

Another matter: the spotter plane.

There are two ways we can deploy it:

1) as soon as the morning mist breaks we send it over the southern ridges to try and find out what the enemy's general deployments are.

2) we send it an hour or so before the rough estimate of when we may begin the main push in order to lean the enemy's specific deployments in the area we are about to attack.

Any opinions? 2) seems more useful, but also calling for more delicate timing, while 1) has the added benefit of immediately verifying a bunch of our assumptions at a point where it is definitely early enough to change our plans.

I too vote for option 1, being caught out by an unexpected general deployment seems a larger danger, especially given how little we know about the foe's strength and objectives.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

16th brigade will join column 2. It's probably better to wait for Trin's updated guide before I go more into specifics, unless there is something division command needs to know right now?

NastyToes, what do you say we simply split up the column's divisional assets equitably between us?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

*Very* preliminary plan for 16th Brigade.

16th Brigade will move out using the road through Nainville, moving out after any forces that are to be active in the battle for Croissant. Meanwhile, cavalry scouts will deploy to Baguende using the shortest possible route. The brigade will then form up in line of battle in Bois du Baguette, pointing as many guns as possible towards the enemy.

Having considered it further I'd be quite willing to relinquish command of the artillery assets to divisional command, to help us get an edge in the initial engagement.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the scale and size of units here, how much of Bois de Baguette will my brigade cover in a standard formation? I'll want to coordinate further with NastyToes so we don't crowd each other too much.

Any glaring issues with the basic ideas here, before I start thinking too hard about the finer points?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

16th Bde, 19th Div

16th Brigade will move out using the road through Nainville, moving out after any forces that are to be active in the battle for Croissant. Meanwhile, cavalry scouts will deploy to Baguende using the shortest possible route. The brigade will then form up in line of battle in Bois du Baguette, pointing as many guns as possible towards the enemy.

The brigade will form up in defensive stance according to the diagram below, in such a way that the front is aligned with the southern edge of the forest.

Artillery assets will form up at the indicated position to provide fire support for the seizure of Croissant.

Standing orders:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance:
Keep moving along original path

Break Off automatically when
2/3 casualties are taken

Covski fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 16, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Covski: we need a formation diagram from you.

Is there a way to access the templates without access to Photoshop that I've missed, or any other easy way to whip up a pretty diagram easily?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Ah, duh. I have paint.net, I just didn't consider getting the unit icons from any place other than the .psd I had no way of opening. :downs: I'll get it done and edit it into my previous orders post before the deadline. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Just to make it official:

Turns out I have less free time then I thought I would when first joining the glorious German side, so I'll be bowing out of this at least temporarily. I'll remain exclusively in this thread in case my schedule opens up and there is need of even more German commanders in the future (seems unlikely, the war will be over in time for dinner).

Fight well, comrades! I'll be watching from the sidelines!

• Locked thread