Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'll take Brigade Command, exact to be specified when I know how has divisions, so I shall finagle my bitter, preussian heart into the position of most glory.

Ah, the brigade! Not too small, not too great, a thrust at the frenchman's heart!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

Signing up for brigade command. My qualifications are that I once went to a WW1 museum.

:mil101:

That's actually a good point. Do we anyone with experience in leadership, military tactics or even military history? Considering my abilities( obsessive wargame dweeb, but that's it) I think a boy scout leader would be better qualified for corps!

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm guessing I shall have to assume command of the 7th Jägers then. Waldmans heil!

How often do we have to post, and when will the first orders be in? I'm leaving for the weekend to go to sweden and play board wargames, but other than that I have oodles of time.

Tias fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 9, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Oh, no problem, I can have them in at monday, provided we have no major problems formulating an overall strategy. Thanks!

So guys, how do we tackle this? Not knowing where the entente are at, I vote we take the center and fortify, using roads. The cowardly boches and tommies will naturally fear decisive action and go slower in order to not take losses at march :mil101:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Feel free to go staff, I'm sure it wouldn't harm our chances for Tevery to have some second opinions.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Where's our private chat at?

E: Trin, are there special rules for jägers? Brushing up, my dictionary tells me they are people with civ jobs that make them good "skirmishers, scouts, sharpshooters and runners".

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

How far will the artillery shoot? Pasteur Ridge seems to make sense, but we shouldn't limber them up there if they can't fire far enough.

Also, we should be wary of assuming the French come from the opposite direction, unless that's in the rules.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

The Jaegers get two bicycle companies for faster movement on roads, and are good at not routing. I also hear they get particularly peevish about OPSEC violations. That's all!

My command was over a hundred years ago, peevelord, I think I we let that one slide :colbert:

Also, thanks a lot.

Also, fellow German commanders: I'm taking a weekend holiday in a farm in Sweden to play goony wargames, which I'm sure you can appreciate, but I won't be back to talk orders and game before sunday, approx. 20.00 CET, so don't panic because I'm not posting.

Tias
May 25, 2008

A lot of contradictory posts, what corps and brigade( if any) will my Jägers attach to? I'd like to get my orders written out.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Understood. We shall not tarry, waldman's heil!

Tias
May 25, 2008

aphid, my orders seem clear, but what am I to do when/if I make contact? Bike a messenger to divisional HQ? Or one to the units most likely to run into the foe, or even artillery poised to strike? What takes precedence?

Tias
May 25, 2008

You forgot "your mother dresses you funny"! We'd be remiss to recall our ancestral insults!

E: :itisalordoftherealmsjoke:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I'm just kind of frozen in panic because I don't really understand the rules :mil101:

I will re-read this thread now and post my order set.

Tias
May 25, 2008

7th Jäger orders, Final Form

Preamble: o jeez o jeez, I'm really more of a roleplayer than a wargamer. Before I die charging heroically into a hail of MG fire, I WILL say that I strongly believe in the mission, my corps and division commanders, the kaiser with a laurel on top, and killing poo poo with a rifle :black101:

Picture:

The 7th Jägers will, upon map entry, GO WEST with all possible haste, engaging roads by marching orders where possible, using their sharp hunters ears to pick out any fighting around St. Croissants and stay well clear of it. If Then they will spread out their formation, mounting and using bicycles to cover easy ground. At all times will the foot infantry advance ahead of the MGs and the cyclists ahead of the foot infantry, for ease of retreat.

Route ONE will probably not be used, and only takes place assuming violent fighting has already, and audibly, pushed our troops on the defense around St. Croissants.

Route TWO is preferred, and will see the 7th push full speed to a scouting position west of Gooneville wood. The FLAT arrow assumes heavy enemy presence that would make an advance onto Bois de Houte place the company in contact with the enemy, the arrow-shaped wedge is the PREFERRED avenue of approach, wherein forward parties take cover around the hilltop and scout for the enemy.

Runners and Contact

At all times the 7th will try to stay within touch, and if not, within visual range, of the 77 bde.

When we see the enemy, auto-dispatch a runner.

(It is correctly assumed I can't just tell the 77th bde when it's being approached by enemies, right?)

Assuming the enemy hasn't shown up yet when we get to the hill, we will entrench MGs at the foot of the hill, and entrench Jägers on the hillside.

While still scouting, BREAK OFF AT CONTACT. After Entrenching, Break off at 1/3 losses.

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 15, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

What's your rationale for the southern route? The road?

Yeah, extra march mileage so I beat the french to the hill.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can't imagine they'd not at least play it safe enough to feel out the city centre first. Thanks, dulce est.. !

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Sandman posted:

Note that the French seem to have concentrated almost all of their artillery into a single massive block that's nowhere near our objectives.

A block that will need multiple turns to shake out into a formation that can actually shoot at things.

Depending on what that block does over the next few turns, and how soon we can issue new orders, this suggests some hilarious possibilities.

It would be remiss not to run a loving cavalry charge up their gun pipes :dance:

HEY GAIL posted:

it's not entirely terrible either. Here's my idea, expressed in some godawful MSpaints:

Everyone who's on the Naineville-Baguette road--19th--should stay there and fortify their position. If it's a sunken road, dig in. The 43rd should haul rear end to the south of those guys. If the French end up trying to flank the 19th Division, the 43rd could end up getting them in the side instead.

Thoughts?

I'll defer if you think it's a better plan, but I'd rather keep my jägers moving around the wood and spot for any hidden flankers. Anyway, we effectively have St. Croissant, unless I'm sorely misjudging the ruler. With all that cavalry they have, we need to get keep some MGs and arty in place and let them crush themselves on our defense.

E:

HEY GAIL posted:

Tias got probated got into a fight with a brother officer and is now cooling his heels until he sobers up

I'll have you know I was completely sober when I entered you into that sable-in-pants competition without your knowing. The three litres of schnapps were for improving my fisticuffs!

Tias fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 17, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Trin, I can't find anything looking like 43D's artillery or cavalry - aside from the Jäger - in any of the pics, does that indicate me having done something horribly wrong?

e: they're really close to being able to just run something sacrificial up the eastern map edge and cut all the wires, at which point things get tedious for us.

e: depending on when and who to I get to give orders I'll (early ) 1a. order 76bde and 77bde into 19D's line and 1b. order 78bde and 79bde into the enemy's flank, or (late) 2a. order 76bde and 77bde into the enemy's flank before they disappear off the road net and 2b. order 78bde and 79bde to follow suit. Jäger bn we'll have to see, eyes to the west, just bike to fuckin Quatreprout, idk.

Ve'll be doing donuts on their grüne soon enough, commander!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Aren't our MGs up by next turn? I doubt their cavalry will stand up the following bullet swarms.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Didn't we already outgun them? One infantry to shore up the line, and one cav to help the cyclists take outrepoodle(sp).

Trin, can I split up my cyclists from the infantry and MG in my batallion? I can't, can I?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jägers will probably be fine, they're going to dig in at the end of their assigned objective.

Tias
May 25, 2008

When can I order the jägers again?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Anything north of the Nainville road is out of range of their guns. Let's get the reserves into place and get those useless heavy cannons behind the ferme de confit over to protect them. Stationary artillery in this game is very powerful and the best way to neutralize their huge battery is to force them to move it. I've marked out the zone of fire of the big battery.

Depends on how many runners we get, which we don't know right now. We should all make plans for what we need to do if we do get them.

Sure, I'm getting unstuck and hauling rubber for quatrepootle, but it'd be nice to have an estimate of when that happens.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Uh, okay. What should I do :ohdear:

I'm not entirely convinced the jägers are enough to take Quatreputz, but I'll try if you ask me.

Tias
May 25, 2008

I had.. sort of hoped you'd break through and help me hold it :negative:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I remain unclear on how to proceed. Do you want me to swing eastward and engage the French flank, or troll down and take Quatreploof?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I can't stay on for long, but I'm kind of at a loss on how to formulate my orders.

Attack stance, proceed until we reach Quotroflob? How to react to enemies? I suspect that once I make contact, I can't sneak around them even if I withdraw.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Allright, I have to sleep, and I'm not sure what the deadline is, so here are the orders for Trin to consider legitimate if the turns start before I get up again:

Regular travel formation: Bicyclists in front, Infantry center and MGs in the back. Afterwards, deploy with BCs and infantry forming a line and MGs behind them, center.

As shown on the black arrow, the Jägers will move in maximum speed Attack formation around the fighting, attempting to stay out of French artillery range - to the top of La Oeuf. If there is no enemy contact, they will then continue down to Quatreprouts and hold the town.

They will dispatch a runner at enemy contact, and if locked in combat, break off a 2/3 casualties. Sighting attackers, defend. Sighting inactive enemy: advance with rifle fire where possible, but do not pursue breaking enemies.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Back from double secret probation. If you haven't heard the news, C-SPAM is loving dumb, though not as dumb as it's mod

I suppose my orneriness owes to my light infantry elan, guten heil! Where should I go once I am inevitably routed from La Ouef?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Well poo poo, open the bloodgates, we need all the men we can get!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tevery Best posted:

What do we need them for? I'd be wary of calling them in without first having considered what we want to achieve with them. It would suck like a motherfucker to win on the field, rout half the French force, seize Q with a daring and dastardly manoeuvre, never expend even one expensive 15 cm shell and then lose on a technicality because of victory points running too low.

I didn't realize it cost anything :eng99:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I didn't charge up a hill into horse guns and frog MGs for you sadlords to give up now! We took that hill!

Sending good people after bad is the strategy of the new century, angriff! :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I gotta say our orders are really sharp now as compared to when we started. Keep going my krauts, I believe in you :dance:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I ain't leaving my krauts, but I have to stick with staff officer for the time being.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Flesnolk posted:

Oh, speaking of traps! Staff officers, get us some number crunching on visual and weapon ranges from all the forests, especially Taillis Douche and Bois de Blob. Machine guns, rifles, artillery, we need to know how safe the crossings are if they have men waiting for us.

Can someone find the link for spotting rules? I can't seem to locate them itt. never mind.

Make my banner something about MSpaint, I intend to moonlight as meme officer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

It would be so drat sweet to get reinforced in the night already, but I think we should stick with 1 fatigue point. They may get theirs faster, but even if we plan our advance badly we'll have rested men to fight with.

• Locked thread