Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I'll take 43rd if that's ok.

e: joined the Roll20 room too.

VVV Habe die Ehre, Exzellenz

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I can't find a coat of arms or symbol for 43rd Reserve Division. One of the regiments of the division is from Brunswick and the imo best coat of arms from roughly that area is that of the defunct West German district bearing that name, which is a very happy lion.

Do we need a divisional coat of arms? Because I kinda love this guy.

e: neutral alternative / map symbol:

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh man I'm gonna be terrible at this but I think I get the rules now. That sounds really interesting Trin, looking forward to this.

I tentatively want to make a heavy brigade with the heavy guns and some of the light ones, two mediums with some of the light guns, and a light one with the cav and engineers, if the objective we eventually get makes that level of specialization useful that is.

Do we have a Corps Commander already?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Feb 9, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Honestly just read the rules as posted so far and if the corps command bits sound cool and fun to you go for it, don't worry too much about credentials (beyond having a "von" and a sick mustache ofc).

Grey posted a battle report in the observer thread that's very informative.

https://randombitzontheside.blogspot.de/2016/08/great-war-spearhead-battle-report.html

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Quatreprouts (...) renamed Vierfurze

Now here's a goal properly worth dying for. Ve shall fight until our last, erm, breath leaves our bodies :v:

e: does someone know what engineers do? Do they facilitate movement, assaults, construction of defensive positions?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 9, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

AFAIR engineers enable you to build bridges (no rivers, so irrelevant) and can build field works a lot faster than regular troopers. We're still in 1914, at the manoeuvre warfare stage of the war, so don't expect heavy trench lines the engineers could help you with.

Ok thanks!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is 7th Jäger a command like a brigade or an asset like the cav?

I need a highly motivated individual to lead 78th Brigade

76 Crazycryodude
77 HEY GAIL
79 Comrade Cheggorsky

I will tentatively, barring the plan changing obvs, be dividing divisional assets up such that one brigade gets the cav and engineers, one gets light and heavy arty, and two get light arty, and be using them roughly in a dragoon, base of fire, line role respectively. Dragoons move a long way to somewhere important and dig in, line moves a medium way and keeps everything together, base of fire moves as short a way as possible to somewhere with a good view, sets up and rains death. If you are one of my brigadiers and one of these roles appeals to you speak up, otherwise I'll hand them out.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

It's both; a human commands it and it has an HQ chit, but it starts the game as a Corps asset and must be assigned by the Corps commander to a Division before it can do anything.

Yeah sorry I was a bit confused and my question reflected that. I was asking about the first part of your reply so I'm all set.

So if any unassigned brigadier wants to command a Jäger bn pipe up!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Still need a commander for 7th Jäger!

I'm getting ever so slightly too into this but:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The war effort is absolutely inconceivable without a constant supply of poetry

Trin Tragula posted:

Your Order of Battle is full.

:siren: THE OBSERVER THREAD IS NOW OUT OF BOUNDS UNTIL THE END OF THE BATTLE :siren:

Orders from all Brigade Commanders are due in at the absolute latest before 5pm GMT Thursday 16th, one week from now, but if we can get them in sooner, we'll start sooner.

Just to make sure I understand the Giving Orders post correctly: All I have left to do before the first turn is make a post stating where my HQ goes and to what brigade all the division-level assets go? I don't have to do stuff like formally assign the missions we planned out in the chat to the brigades, say in what order they enter the map etc., brigadiers handle that?

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 9, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If at all possible I'd please like to keep my division at the western position it has in the chatroom's map just out of inertia, I've spent a bit of time staring at that part of the map now and doing it all over for the other side is kinda ugh.

I've set my div orders up (in the chat room's plan the divisions are swapped, so I'm where Steinrokkan has 19th in his map) such that my brigade scheduled for the easternmost position enters first followed by the others in their intended order in the westward-stretching line and I've definitely had the thought in the back of my mind that if there is heavy fighting in the center we can just reroute the brigades intended for the West due South to hold the line or exploit a breakthrough, so maybe this is an acceptable compromise? Or I put my flank in Bois de Gooneville and use a bde of infantry plus arty on Missionary plus the long distance the French presumably have to walk to secure my against envelopment, which is basically what Steinrokkan is suggesting with division roles flipped. Dunno how risky this is wrt envelopment, it sorta rests on how mobile the French are.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Feb 10, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

1. Make your way to Quatreprouts as quickly as possible and hold it against enemy attack. [Battle End 1]

2. Prevent the enemy from occupying St Croissants.

3. Contain the enemy forces and prevent them from turning our flank.

4. Maintain the integrity of your forces to the best of your ability. [Battle End 2]

Kinda wondering about objective 3. Could that mean that we need to secure a road beyond those we enter on? The goals are listed in descending order of importance as per the briefing so if we metagame this 1 and 4 is they get destroyed and we get destroyed, respectively. 2 is we hold the center of the map. Since achieving 3 is less high on the list than 2 I'd expect 3 to be more easily achievable than 2. Maybe have troops remaining on the ridges around our deployment zone contesting the road/rail exits in the east and north. That kinda puts most of our goals on our side of the map so maybe we are really about to bumble into a superior force. There's no goal set for us to take between St Croissants and Quatreprouts so I feel the scenario expects us to end the game in our half of the map. This is all reading tea leaves ofc.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Any feedback?

We seem basically agreed that we want to attack St Croissant with overwhelming force asap.

I think I now prefer the option with the second stage assault going towards Clemenceau led by the Nainville road division. It seems like it minimizes walking distances. And that Clemenceau ground is good to threaten the objective and possible reinforcements.

Spotting plane I'd go for the first option.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 11, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Walking distances are only relevant as far as they cost us time (as far as I know this game does not simulate fatigue), and we will spend a lot more time fighting for Clemenceau than walking to Dejeuner.

Clemenceau is also not good for directly threatening the objective. The sightlines from there are partially obscured by woods and a town (and should we choose to advance from there we will have to fight through the woods and the town, BTW) and Q or even most positions on Dejeuner are out of artillery range from there.

The only thing it seems to be really good for is denying movement north of Conjunction Junction, and by the time we've taken Clemenceau, the French are not going to be moving there. Remember the road south of Conjunction is partially covered by the woods and town and partially out of artillery range unless we position as far to the SW of Roadblock Ridge as we can, and it is not guaranteed (or even in my opinion likely) that any French reinforcements would come in from that road rather than the two roads in the SW corner.

Time is important. Troops that are marching somewhere out of sight rather than attacking are effectively neutralized while they do so. All the time we are doing this movement we will definitely be getting pounded in the center by all those other troops that have noone to fight because our counterparts to them are out of sight somewhere. We can be in Bois de Baguette getting eyes on Clemenceau at the same time we arrive at St Croissant.

Anything on Breakfast will have to redeploy (temporarily being a non-factor) or stay and be a non-factor if we use this route.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 11, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Fighting just for the purpose of fighting is in the end simply wasting our men far more permanently than temporarily neutralizing them by a long march. The French are unlikely to have enough strength to attack 19th Division's line with overwhelming force while at the same time maintaining any sort of coherent defence at Dejeuner - and if they do, then any offensive plans go straight to the dustbin either way.

If we choose this route, anything on Breakfast will not necessarily have to redeploy. They will be faced with a choice of either being a factor now or being a factor later, because we cannot secure Q with French guns on Dejeuner, period. This only works the other way: forces that stay on Roadblock while we have Dejeuner will be a non-factor because we will not at any point have to concern ourselves with them.

I'd say that we are not fighting for the sake of fighting, we are making use of our best chance at gaining local superiority, which minimizes our losses and maximizes theirs, and are attempting to make efficient use of terrain by relying on the distance they have to travel to reach our right wing instead of committing units that would not do any shooting for turns upon turns. I agree with Steinrokkan's line of argument in the post above and would strongly prefer the strike south over the strike west.

That said, since we seem to be going in circles a bit, I will 100% cheerfully roleplay a sour Zu Befehl, Ew. Exzellenz and execute the orders that end up being put into writing by Corps command to the best of my ability, no matter what they are.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 11, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

all the scenarios i can think of end up in the same place: the 77th attacking french positions uphill.

Ve haff set aside a bucket of Iron Crosses for the glorious dead and selected survivors *rattles bucket*

e: in terms of a reply to the other thread just send a pic of the French football jersey

e: sad, low-energy effort

Bad OPSEC ofc if you think that there is any chance whatsoever that they don't realize that that is our objective.

e:

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 12, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We banged something out in the chatroom. Tev should be writing the corps orders, part of those is assigning the Jägers to a division. Then I and Steinrokkan write division orders, telling you and the brigades where to go. The Jägers are handled like a minibrigade as I understand, you are on the same org level as a brigadier.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

e: nvm, it is me, I'm the idiot

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 12, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

quote:

43rd Division (43D)
is to enter the area of operations on the road towards Bouclecourt, deploying as the right wing of III Corps‘ advance on St Croissant with the ultimate goal of Quatreprouts. Division HQ is to be set up in Bouclecourt.

Bde commands are to adapt the following orders as developments dictate, reporting significant developments via runners.

76Bde
is to receive 4 batteries of 7.7cm guns. It enters the area of operations third, after 78Bde. It is to deploy between St Croissant and Bois de Gooneville with the aim of extending 43D‘s line west of Saint Croissant in preparation of a further Corps advance on Quatreprouts.

77Bde
is to receive 4 batteries of 7.7cm guns. It will enter the area of operations fourth, after 76Bde. It is to advance towards Bois de Gooneville at best speed with the aim of deploying into line behind and to the right of 76Bde to act as flank security or assault reserve depending on circumstances.

78Bde
is to receive 4 batteries of 15cm guns and 4 batteries of 10cm guns. It will enter the area of operations as the second unit of 43D and advance on Saint Croissant at utmost speed, deploying its artillery to secure 43D‘s position around the city in preparation of a further Corps advance on Quatreprouts.

79Bde
is to receive all 43D cavalry assets and 4 batteries of 7.7cm guns. It will enter the area of operations as the first unit of 43D and advance towards St Croissant at utmost speed with the aim of securing the city in preparation of a further Corps advance on Quatreprouts.

7th Jäger bn
enters the map as the fifth unit of 43D behind 77Bde, advancing westwards at utmost speed, keeping well clear of possible fighting around St Croissant, with the aim of taking up scouting positions in the west of Bois de Gooneville.

Lowtax Mit Uns.

e: edited

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 12, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tevery Best posted:

Someone tell me if this is humorous before I approve it for dispatch

It's a smidgen too angry imo

glynnenstein posted:

I've updated the roster with attachments and links to a few of the orders posts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

I've updated this with the final disposition of forces for my division. We lost the engineers and gained the 15cms. I've given 79th the 4x7.7 from 78th, which instead gained the 15cm. I've also edited the order post to reflect this.

If anyone finds a mess I've missed post and I'll fix tomorrow.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 12, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

^^^ :respek:

Perestroika posted:

Oh my god, all those big guns :neckbeard:. https://youtu.be/MDNIljQBlSM?t=5m14s

I'll see about nailing down the orders in the coming day or two. It'll be tricky to find positions for them all that are neither too exposed nor too far backwards.

Yeah you're going to have to figure something out. 79th's cav should be the first to step in the doodoo by a fair margin if everything works as planned and that will hopefully give us some information to work with in time to actually still make use of it in terms of changing orders etc., should it be necessary.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 13, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

aphid, my orders seem clear, but what am I to do when/if I make contact? Bike a messenger to divisional HQ? Or one to the units most likely to run into the foe, or even artillery poised to strike? What takes precedence?

Ideally 77th will be unengaged and in reserve somewhere to your east. In that case your number one concern obviously is to activate them so they can wheel to engage, because I have them uncomfortably doubletasked as a reserve both for a push south and a screen east and they need a poke to fully switch to defensive west-facing stance.

If the contact seems beyond what 77Bde can deal with telling 77th and 76th to gtfo into a defensive position around St Croissant so 76th doesn't get attacked from multiple sides and where they might get arty support from 78th might be the plan, and there 76th might be the first one to poke because they will be more exposed and possibly already engaged from another direction.

DivHQ honestly seems secondary unless I have somehow come into a reserve to send over at that point.

78th might be an idea depending on where their guns end up, how busy they are, and what the enemy looks like, but in a situation where 78th's arty is not busy but we're being attacked from the west some weirdness is already ongoing so you're going to have to make that call when it happens.

Basically your job is to help allow the division to face the new situation.

e: I had not read the big post on how runners work when I wrote this so take this as a rough guide of intent while we figure out what is and is not actually possible within the rules.

e2: you can't send a runner to another bde hq for starters, oopsie

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 13, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Can't wait to see the corps spring into action like a big intricate horribly exploding clockwork

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias,

the units are taking up a lot more space than I expected and the line is already snaking pretty far west. See if you can't get someone on Bois de Haute after all without losing contact with HEGEL. Don't be afraid to spread your units out (within your command radius) if it lets you get eyes on more ground.

If poo poo hits the fan fall back into a compact formation on HEGEL's right, don't fight on your own.

re: musicchat, it is really hosed up how annoying Heil dir im Siegerkranz is. Halfway in you're like yeah this is about long enough.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 14, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Am I supposed to be assisting with the assault on the town if there's baddies in there? If not I'll leave my orders as they are with minor edits, if I am I can add a conditional in no problem.

I have a hard time answering this so I'm going to write out my thought process.

You're arriving third, two other brigades are already going to town on the, uh, town by the time you get there. On the one hand yes, outflanking stubborn defenders would be good. We need that city after all. On the other hand I'm worried about who else might be there by the time you arrive. Namely, if there is still fighting by the time you get there we're probably past talking about a quick smash and grab of the city and into a more general engagement, meaning that the enemy presence will not be limited to the city, meaning that we could probably use some flank cover.

Now that I've written this out I think it'd be better for you to focus on extending our line west from Gooneville or more generally whereever the remains of 79th will be at the time. If the city itself needs reinforcements I'll send a runner to 77th to move them there. Given runner speeds on roads it should be able to catch up with 77th before HEGEL disappears into the wide green yonder.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Hey aphid what are our engineers up to currently? I was doing some playing around with the map and the TL;DR is that now I'm afraid of a phantom brigade of Frogs hiding in Strawberry Fields just waiting to charge me/HEGEL when we're not looking. Can we get some barbed wire between the farm and us?

I put the engineers with 79th because I figured that it would be clever to fortify our objective after taking it. I hope this does not result in them randomly dying, that would be really dumb of me! :blush:

Man the stealing barbed wire rules are pretty funny, we're definitely stealing all the fuckin wire. Four turns to place it though.

e: Don't tell the other brigadiers this but I have good intel that the enemy most definitely WILL be coming out of the loving walls :derp:

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 14, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oh definitely

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Does anyone have word of Tias?

e: whoops beaten

e: Jaguars!, that looks good

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 15, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What's your rationale for the southern route? The road?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

Yeah, extra march mileage so I beat the french to the hill.

Yeah. I was torn between whether trying to be sneaky might not be better but speed is the safer pick. Keeps you closer to support too. Route 2 it is. Good luck!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Trin, I can't find anything looking like 43D's artillery or cavalry - aside from the Jäger - in any of the pics, does that indicate me having done something horribly wrong?

e: they're really close to being able to just run something sacrificial up the eastern map edge and cut all the wires, at which point things get tedious for us.

e: depending on when and who to I get to give orders I'll (early ) 1a. order 76bde and 77bde into 19D's line and 1b. order 78bde and 79bde into the enemy's flank, or (late) 2a. order 76bde and 77bde into the enemy's flank before they disappear off the road net and 2b. order 78bde and 79bde to follow suit. Jäger bn we'll have to see, eyes to the west, just bike to fuckin Quatreprout, idk.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 17, 2017

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Right, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Tias posted:

Ve'll be doing donuts on their grüne soon enough, commander!

Send my regards to Oberst Jan Ullrich and tell him that now would be the time to break out the SPEZIALSOSSE

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That French cav bde is a thing of beauty and I want one. Maybe a slightly less dead one.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Du sollst ewig reiten, chromglänzend

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Taking the fact that both our divisions can apparently still give orders as a welcome bit of good news

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This is bad.

They moved about as far as we did i think, the difference is that they happened to move into contact and we started running away from them, i.e. their movement made their sitch better and ours made ours worse.

I'm gonna charge southeast starting with the easternmost brigades. Gonna figure out how effective 78s arty is in its current position and probably expend the third runner on ordering them to rearrange. 79 seems mildly useful where it is.

Charging into that battery of 75s means curtains probably though so I'm open for better ideas.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Alternately we hedgehog in situ and charge the Jäger into ObjQ for the technical victory, which is the best kind of victory.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Do you think we can salvage 19D's arty if I move up 76 and 77 to the Baguette-Nainville road? There's a lot of surviving guns NW of that road.

e: I want to put the infantry from 76 and 77 just outside of the range of that more westerly gunline. That will still allow us to screen some of the guns from 19th. If it works we have a bit of a defensive position. And then I think I'm really throwing the third runner at the Jägers.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

NONFINAL ORDERS, feedback welcome oh god please give me some feedback

My first two runners go to

76bde and 77bde

We want to save some of 19D's guns.

76bde: Advance into a line parallel to the Nainville-Baguette road that is no farther east than the eastern border of Ferme de Beurre. Keep your right anchored on Baguette.

77bde
Move into position on 76bde's left flank in a north-southerly orientation, ie partially up onto Pasteur Ridge.

Then I move my HQ to StC.

Then I send the third runner, once it becomes available, to 7th Jäger, ordering them to move to Haltebruit and on to ObjQ in a line hugging the western map edge.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 17, 2017

• Locked thread