Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm a bit slow off the mark on this one but I'll sign up to take over a command if someone drops out (staff officer?)

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Well at least I will get a turn at command fairly quickly at this rate.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Sure I'll step in for one, when do you need orders by?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

1st reserve Bde

-Enter the map as shown and in the formation shown. (TM should be 2'' from the other chits to allow it to shoot over.)
-Advance to the position shown in the map above firing at any targets that preset themselves
-If the advance would place us into contact or within 3'' of enemy forces or cause a charge then halt and begin firing.
-If the enemy is spotted north of Foret di Vieux, in the forest or north of a line running East-West through the center of the forest. halt and begin firing at the spotted targets. IF they are not in range advance towards them but stay out of range of artillery on the hill south of Nainville.
-If the MG's move into range of the enemy they should halt and begin firing, if no targets in range they should attempt to move back into formation

Standing orders:
-When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
-When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
-When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
-Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 18, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh god marching order, didn't we learn anything?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously what the? My fresh bde decided to, first stop too early for the mg's to be able to see, then walk forward despite orders to not advance past the forest?

[E] most importantly it seems to have not killed anybody?

Saros fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 19, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm not seeing much for me to do except sit still and shoot as much as possible.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

So in all likelyhood those French 75's on the hill are going to be manhandled forward into range of my troops fairly soon. Is there a way to withdraw out of range when they do so? I haven't got anything to really dish out hurt except my MG's.

For what it's worth I think the current plan has too many moving parts and our atry needs to concentrate on putting down fire rather than shuffling about.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Reinforcement Bde Orders.

Stay in defend stance, fire upon targets of opportunity. If no targets are in range of the MG or rifle fire and the Bde is taking artillery fire withdraw a max of 8 inches total from current positions NNW maintaining formation as much as possible.

Standing orders
------------------
Engage with rifle fire
When an enemy retreats, Do not pursue
Auto Break off: Fight to the last man!

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 21, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ahah well my entire bde is basically gone already but I pushed back one Frenchie and munched up the other. Good enough I suppose though that flank is back to being exposed again.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

To be fair I dont really have anything to tell my guys to do except be a speedbump.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Im going to fall back in the face of the French artillery being manhandled up and try to setup to prevent anyone sneaking up on our Div HQ. I only have the TM and MG for firepower.

4th Bde orders

Move west and setup in the positions indicated south of Boculecourt, begin entrenching in said positions.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Never break off.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The few remnants of my Bde are pretty much superflous in their current position, I could reposition them west to speedbump that new french Bde?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I only have one mg, 3 inf and a trench mortar left but you're probably right pickets is the best use.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

4th Bde

4th Bde remnants are to take up positions in the vacated trenches on Pasteur ridge, the TM where the T is and the MG where the M is. X are infantry positions. Make sure the TM and MG are in trenches but the infantry can start to dig new ones where necessary. Brigade command is to move to take the trench space now unoccupied to its south.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Never break off.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 27, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha wow we got hosed.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

4th Bde

Hold position and continue to entrench until the infantry have completed their trenches then reshuffle into the following formation (remaining defensive if at all possible, I think its allowed to move a few units/turn?), the key bit being the MGis in base contact and can fire through any of the infantry.

Formation should be positioned in the red zone of dug out trenches if at all possible, if its necessary to dig out a bit more to keep them all on top of the ridge do so.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

4th Bde orders

Get your marching shoes on:

Move along the following path in a compact formation with the MG in the middle, infantry up front, marching order on roads engaging any enemies you find.

No retreat, always be charging.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha I loving knew the French had orders in a mirror image of us. I bags whatever poor loving bde gets to hold quad in 2015.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Splode posted:

In the grim darkness of Trin's future, there is only The Great War.

Aaahah thats great im going to leave that there.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'll go down for a Division command or Engineer command if the division commands are already all taken.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 6, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

This ought to be interesting with indirect fire, ranges are HUGE compared to direct fire.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Shotgun the cavalry division! Sabre time!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

18th Cav Division HQ:

18th Cav needs you! Yes You! Currently I need a commander for a turn 1 Bde and a turn 20 Bde. There is going to be a lot of plotting and contingency planning especially for the first two bde's as we are taking stabs into the dark here.

Current plan is something like this. Red Bde secures Tallis and provides overwatch while the second charges towards stethoscope. After this we perform a cautious advance until contact is made. We prefer sending both bde over the southern bridge as it is much closer and allows us to keep our forces concentrated. Our dearest wish is to find a single Brit bde with both of ours and over-run it to give a substantive advantage early on.

Black boxes are pessimistic enemy entrance points, I would probably expect them to come from the north over the south but we are being careful with assumptions. Us moving on Stethoscope is really the most obvious opening move so we want to do it with caution.

We absolutely do not want to attempt to cross the fords in the north as the forest is right on top on them and without a lot of artillery backing us up to fire on anyone that reveals themselves we would get cut apart as we tried to cross single file.

Saros fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 7, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

koolkevz666 posted:

I'll take the route into Stethoscope if you want Saros. It is probably the more high risk one and I don't mind taking the risk. If I encounter enemies inside of Stethoscope should I withdraw or attempt a cavalry charge?

We are figuring ranges in roll20 now so will have an update to the plan at some point.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

18th Cav, 3bde reporting in.

Anything specific you want me planning ahead for on Turn 10, Saros?

We are probably going to need to see what's going on before being sure what we want you to do. Maybe some contingency orders to move up to Stethoscope in case we don't get a chance to change them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Cavalry division:

Okay so what I need from the Bde/Staff officers is:

First two arriving Bde:

1) Can we reach Stethoscope before enemy cav/wheeled units assuming they start at our pessimistic estimates of deployment on the roads N/S of Saucisson Vallee?
2) Would we have to be in march order the whole time to reach it first or can we shake out into combat formation/start in formation?

My rough estimate is that staying in marching order the whole way south bde can be in Steth on turn 4 and the north in turn 5.

I've come around somewhat to the idea that we need to focus on stethoscope first to secure the sunken road and our lines of communication (telephones!) and i'm optimistic that we can secure it in our initial push. However I don't see any way to breach the small riverline before significant reinforcements arrive without risking total disaster unless we manage to destroy a substantial number of enemy units and can be confident every ford isn't being watched.

Reinforcement Bde's.
-Think about contingency orders for cases where we take Steth in the first impulse and cases where we do not.

Saros fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 8, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Haha that's great, thanks.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

CAV DIVISION ORDERS:

First Bde:
Proceed in marching order along the southern road and occupy Stethoscope as fast as possible. Shake down into combat order there Inside the town to prevent spotting then charge down the sunken road to clear it of any hostles as far as being able to confirm the crossroads is empty. After that move to occupy the forest of Tallis Douche. Consider leaving MG/AH beind in outskirts of steth to provide fire support and have them move to join you in the forest after you sweep the road.

Make sure to have contingency orders for early enemy contact and orders to move to assisst 2 Bde if they get into combat. Generally fleeing enemies should be pursued as long as you can catch them.

Second Bde:
Proceed in marching order to Stethoscope and shake down into combat order the in the western outskirts of Stethoscope unless it would take an extra turn to reach them then any outskirts/town is fine, the most important thing is to be as fast as possible. Your orders are to hold the town until new orders can be given but if 1 Bde gets into combat you are to have contingency orders for those units not able to fire upon enemies to move to assist. The dotted line is a suggestion for a cavaly company sent to watch the Fords but I leave this up to your discretion.

Make sure to have contingency orders for early enemy contact and orders to move to assisst 1 Bde if they get into combat.

Division HQ:

Deploy on the south road and move along it to the shown position just off the road and start digging in/connecting telephone wires, if Stethoscope is succesfully occupied and there is no combat or visible enemies around it move into the town and set up a command post in its Eastern part.

Saros fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 9, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Yeah I had the northern idea but it was mostly just spitballing. It revolves around the fact that anyone can see the northern fords are horrible to deal with so likely they will only get a token force initially which could possibly be swept aside by a concerted push. However it could also end in total disaster and might mean we don't hold stethoscope.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The only tweak to those I'd consider is maybe compact the cav somewhat and leave the MG/AH in the south facing outskirts to cover your run down the road with orders to move to join you if the sweep is clear or to move up to firing range if you get into combat.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Oh and i'd like to request that the spotter plane be held for when we try advance on the fords, scouting any troops/entrenchments/barbed wire etc will be very valuble before any assault.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I'm happy with Fles being Corps commander and nobody else seems to want the job as far as I can tell.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Ikasuhito:

As far as I am aware you can have the MG's behind your infantry in the woods and they can still see/shoot out. There's no need for them to be exposed on the edge of the formation. Also your orders about who to leave behind while they sweep is a bit unclear, it might pay to check that units in the town can shoot out at spotted enemies and if not have them position in the outskirts rather than the town itself.

Sandman:

Please update your orders with a map. I also didnt see anything about going to the assistance of Ikasuhito if he gets into combat south of Stethoscope.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 12, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Hoooollllyyyy poo poo.

So this is worse than our worst case estimates but somehow we have come out relatively intact.

IKA AND SANDMAN REPORT!

The way we have deployed in town (against my orders I might add, I was explicit that the bde deploy along the western outskirts) may have hosed us if they charge so holy poo poo lets hope that we can counter-charge or the MG do their jobs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

I dont think we can see the AC till they fire as they are in the sunken road. Our own MG fire at the same time soooo we dont see them till they cut down our horsemen and then its too late to fire? Is this the correct interpreation of the rules cause we may be about to be reamed by them.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

He clarified in R20 and the ones on the road can move 16'' but they have to be explicitly set to do so.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Orders:

1 Cav Bde [IKA]:
Gallant charge boys, keep up the pressure. Have your Bde continue combat then once the AC are dead or fled turn west for combat with the arriving BEF cavalry. Engage as best as you see fit (yellow). Once the BEF cavalry retreat move to occupy the SW corner of Tallis Douche to overwatch the Fords in case the AC come back (blue).

2 Cav Bde (Now commanded by OTF due to Sandman being AWOL):
1)Move the cavalry scattered about the town a max of 4'' to the western outskirts of Steth as originally ordered. (The 4'' is to keep the ability to rifle fire if the enemy bde moves into rifle range.)
2)For this move do not block the AH firing route and keep one Cav in contact with the northern MG and try not to block LoS to the east of said Cav unit so hopefully that MG can fire.
3)Once this move to the outskirts or as near as possible is complete check if the enemy Cav is within charge range of greater than 50% of our cavalry companies and if so charge them using the cavalry.
4)If the enemy is retreating they are to pursue to go after the enemy arse hortillery but stop before the Fords.

3 Bde [Mossyfisk] :
Enter in combat formation along the southern road and proceed to Steth. If Steth has fallen retake the town but if not reinforce 1 Bde in Tallis Douche, prepare to assault over the southern Fords.

Saros fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 14, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

We arent charging out willy nilly.

The most likely scenario is:

Turn +1) The enemy is currently >12''. They move 12'' to <12''. In the same turn we move to the outskirts and take firing positions but dont move far enough to lose the ability to rifle fire. We then Rifle/MG/AH fire upon them and gently caress them up good.

Turn +2) Then the turn after the remnants charge (and get shot again) or our MG shoot them and then the Cav charges them messing up the few survivors. We then exploit to over-run the Arse Hortillery.

Saros fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

At the moment I think we need to charge the British Cav because if we do not they will survive to charge us and slaughter all our exposed support weapons because of the way that they were set up. They should also not see us until they move too far to use rifle fire so a charge should go off without a hitch.

Its also worth noting our Cav didn't cause a single AC casualty, the killing was done by our MG/AH.

• Locked thread