Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Finally read up to current in this thread; avoided the Entente and Observers thread. Is it too late to sign up for any openings in command (even at bottom of the list) or to be a Staff Officer?

For the Kaiser!

EDIT: While writing this post the adjudication post came through.

Let's murder some guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
I honestly think the enemy had the smallest combination of luck, and used some kind of spotter we didn't see -- either Air or Ground. They were able to see our artillery from there, and it's also possible they have something within 24" of our artillery to help them guess/learn our disposition.

If we need to find something for me to do, let me go ahead and start tabulating enemy strength and possible disposition. I'd love to head up a Brigade or something, but for now you guys seem to need a Staff Officer more.

I'll re-read the thread from the start of this mission forward, which'll be fun, and start putting together an "intelligence" report based on what we've seen so far, killed, and the engagements we've taken and where they approached form according to the finished adjudications.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Woof. So I spent my whole night re-reading the mission so far. Most of this is conjecture, and watching the movements as they happen. I assume the Allies/Entente move just like we do, so I tried to take it into account when making my final assessment. So, to begin...

INTELLIGENCE REPORT | Arrived 1600

These documents are deemed CLASSIFIED.
For Command Staff.

It is the assessment of Intelligence that we are dealing with a Corps-sized enemy force. This may come as no surprise, but their composition, disposition, and casualties are of great concern.

The enemy first came into contact with us on Day 1, at roughly 1130 hours (D1 Turn 7). First contact was with a motorized brigade, designated A Bde or 1st Allied Armored Car Bde. They were approaching Stethoscope from the SOUTH, along the Sunken Road. Within an hour, this same brigade was decimated and turned back. Shortly after initial contact, B Bde of the Allied Forces, or the 1st Cavalry Bde was met. B Bde shoved us out of Stethoscope, apparently at high cost.

We retook Stethoscope of course, inflicting hardly any casualties back against he enemy. It is likely that B Bde withdrew.

During the night, our 3rd Brigade engaged an engineer Company in Bois de Blob. The Brigade this Coy was attached to is unknown, but if Intelligence were to hazard a guess, it would perhaps be B Bde, or the cavalry that took and then fell back from Stethoscope.

On the morning of the 2nd day, D and E Brigades were spotted, both the 2nd and 3rd Entente infantry. (Intel note: Apologies for the jump in designations, this was due to documentation error, but for consistency's sake, we stuck to it and gave the next spotted Bde the C designation.) They were just outside of Bois de Blob to the WEST, and together overwhelmed our German brigade stationed there, but not without taking significant losses by mid-day.

At mid-day, our 4th Infantry Bde moving into Forest de Effyaders from the EAST stumbled into UK trenches, This UK Infantry Bde was designated as the 1st UK Infantry, or C Bde. As well, the remnants of A Bde, the Armored Cars seen on the previous day, were spotted on the northern flank of Forest de Effyaders in a trench line. Within an hour, the remnants of A Bde would be destroyed.

Mid-afternoon, artillery was spotted by one of our cavalry brigades along the center road, under the W half of Effyaders. They were designated as G Bde, or 1st Allied Artillery. At the same time, EAST of the spotted artillery, what is likely to be the remnants of B Bde was spotted, Allied Cavalry that had fled from Stethoscope the previous day and now occupied trenches on the south end of the forest, near the center road and forward of the artillery.. Our forces engaged theirs. Through the course of the rest of the day, B Bde was rendered COMBAT INEFFECTIVE.

Meanwhile, in the Vallee trenches began to form in the Vallee that we could spot.

By 2nd Night,we've likely rendered 3 Allied Brigades combat ineffective to one extent or another -- fighting in Effyaders finished off an Allied Cav and Armored car brigade, and an Allied infantry Brigade that committed to a charge between the trees was cut apart by cleverly-placed MGs on their right/eastern flank as they charged into us to their north.

For an overview as of nightfall day 2:

In the middle of the night, in the early hours of Day 3, our phone lines are cut.

Going to speed it up from here.

Intelligence guesses that this is remnants of one of the destroyed brigades -- likely F Bde, or their 1st Allied Cavalry, who slipped through our thin center somehow. Otherwise, it may be from a separate Cavalry Bde, or a singular Armored Car company we missed in Effyaders -- the latter two are very unlikely in our opinion however.

No truly new Bdes are spotted; fighting kind of expands and trenches in the Vallee and along the center road just beyond our sight are expanded. What may be a 2nd artillery brigade is spotted behind Effyaders, but is probably the 1st one we spotted, just relocated. A second gun battery is between de Blob and the Vallee in the trenches.

As an addendum, I've included a map suggested by one of our esteemed leaders, Jaguars! with some small changes.

It is the belief of Intelligence that there is a second artillery unit behind Effyaders, and another possible Infantry brigade in the Vallee, forming a tertiary line of defense. It is entirely possible this tertiary line is being constructed by an infantry unit we clashed with the night or day before.

It is the further belief of Intelligence that we have rendered 3 Brigades combat ineffective, with one brigade perhaps having a few Coys it is sending into our rear area.

The enemy is likely to try and exploit our open southern flank.

WE BELIEVE IT WOULD BE A MISTAKE TO TAKE OFFENSIVE ACTION AT THIS TIME. The enemy may try to exploit our southern flank further, and they are preparing defenses in-depth behind Effyaders Forest and within the Vallee, preventing forward progress. If we have more reinforcements coming, it would b wise to wait for them and see how the situation develops before committing ourselves to a COSTLY attack. In Effyaders forest, it may even be worth our while moving a Brigade into the "northern gap" between two of our brigades, in the trenches, to prevent a breakthrough of Allied forces there.

EDIT: For legibility.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 8, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Nevermore, I skimmed your findings and conclusions and there's a couple of things I spotted, we know for sure there are two brigades of guns on the field because we did see them both, and we're fairly sure that they aren't within 24" of kev's brigade because they'd be spotted. However, your recommendations are still valid

Sorry for the lack of clarity there, I was sure there were 2 brigades of guns, and as for the 24" thing, I'll have to double check my notes, but I think after a previous bombardment we spotted the guns in the trenches between the Vallee and Blob. Trin said something like "Your men think these are the culprit." He may not have said 24", so I probably assumed.

steinrokkan posted:

To return to my previous post, there's a disconnect between playing by the book, using available field information relayed to units to make informed decisions, and playing according to one's hunches. The latter is actually more effective than the former, if the past turns are something to go by, even though that should be not the case, and the fact that it is so points at some flaws with the game design.

Often in opening engagements, with little intel, you have to go by what little you know about the enemy and guess as to their disposition, goals, and movement. In a normal military operation, there would have been scouting before any kind of offensive, even if all intel got was "They're roughly here, and may be a platoon or a loving brigade, we just roughly know where they are."

A lot of this intel-gathering is going to be hampered by the fact that goons love their zergling rushes and doing random weird stuff that wouldn't make sense out of the context of whatever they dreamed up as the "right strategy".

Next mission, both sides would benefit from putting together a real plan that methodically took over portions of the battlefield. We're still in a good position, we shouldn't squander it by giving up what few advantages we have.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
I've gone in and edited the overall map to reflect my intel report findings.

To Reiterate: this is my best guess as to the enemy's positions. Units with a solid outline are HIGHLY PROBABLE/DEFINITE, whereas dotted lines are GUESSES/LAST SEEN locations.There is a dotted arrow on the south, indicating what I believe that brigade will be doing in the coming turns. I'll try to keep these updates up as more intel becomes available. Let me know if there's any way I can improve these, or if you would like any of the assets I used to create the image. I think next update I will indicate the brigades' strengths, but I have to decide on what I could add without reducing legibility.

Edit: Clarification edit.
Edit2: Would probably help if I put in the cropped version instead...

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 9, 2017

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Nevermore, I'm pretty sure one enemy cav bde was routed in front of stethoscope (routed units are removed from the map permanently) and one was destroyed by artillery fire on the western outskirts of FdE.

I know it disappeared after some fighting (it was in some trenches right?) but did we get real confirmation on that 2nd Cav? I may have missed something, I was exhausted at the time I re-read the mission.

Since I wasn't sure in my most recent post, I didn't put up a marker on the picture. Just mentioned it in the sidebar.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
Ah. Thanks for pointing that out.

No phantom brigades then! My bad.

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011

Added Space posted:

You do realize that there are heavy guns close to the west of you and infantry just south of you? If you stay still you're going to die.

He's in a prepared position (read: trenches in a forest) as night starts to fall. Moving exposes him when he's actually in a pretty decent position, all things considered. Better to not get lost in the dark or stumble into the enemy while giving up our defensive advantage when the enemy may be preparing an assault.

Edit: We can think of moving him later, right now it's best he stays put.

Nevermore214 fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevermore214
Aug 26, 2011
I'd have to agree, not that I really have too much of a say unless I get a brigade command amongst the reinforcements.

FdE and our positions in the south are our most important defensive points. FdE is farther forward... I think if the enemy attacks in the south, they'll cross the river, but that just puts them in danger of being cut off at a later date. FdE is defensible terrain across the river we own, and we're looking pretty brittle if they come at us with their current forces and even just another brigade or two in the north.

• Locked thread