Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Edit: Link to roll20 table for second game.

I'll take the lucky 15th Brigade.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

drat, missed out. I guess this means I'm on war poetry until a reinforcement turns up.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I'll try do orders for the vacant 79th brigade tonight, but if anyone wants to post some sooner, they're welcome to take over and I'll just wait for the next unit to come.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, I'm way behind on the rules because I didn't expect to play before the game started, but here are some draft orders so that other commanders can get an idea of what my brigade will do. I'll draw the maps tomorrow and modify as I get up to speed on the rules.

79th Brigade Orders

Forces:
1x Infantry Brigade incl. trench mortar
3 Cav squadrons, 1 cav mg squadron, 1 horse's arse, 1 engineer company.
4x 7.5cm artillery

Mission: To take and hold St Croissant and advance further SW if possible.

Execution: My plan has three phases. Phase one is to take St C. Phase two is a hopefully short phase fortifying the city. Phase three is to attack units to the south of us.

Phase one:
We will be at the head of the Division. When we enter the area the order of march will be Light cavalry, Arse Hotillery, MG Cav, Infantry Brigade, Injuneers, Field artillery. We will travel by the Bouclecourt Road.

Light Cavalry and MG Cavalry:
The four squadrons are to proceed to St C as soon as possible. They are to continue through any enemy fire not directly in front of them. If the way is blocked they will act acording to the known enemy strength:
  • If the visible enemy is two or less units, they should fire on the enemy.
  • If the enemy is three to nine units, they should attempt to manoeuvre around the enemy (preferably in a NW direction) and attempt to continue to the town.
  • If the enemy is more than nine units, they should retire into the nearest cover and dismount. If there is no cover nearby, they should retire out of rifle range before dismounting.
If they reach the town cav charge any enemy. Go to a defensive stance if the town is empty.

Horse Arty:
Proceed here as fast as possible, set up.
Somewhere north of St C that can fire on the road to brioche

Infantry:
Advance via the Bouclecourt road toward St Croissant. The Brigade will deploy into attack formation between the Fermes de Confit and Beurrre, or before if the way is blocked. They will then advance toward St C. Once they are within rifle range, if any enemy units are seen in the town, the infantry is to move and fire. If the town has been occupied by a brigade or greater (say, 10 units visible in the immediate vicinity) change to a defensive footing and concentrate on firing at the enemy. The attack will resume when less than five units are visible or upon command. The trench mortar should set up as soon as it is in range of the far side of the town. If more than 3 companies gain the outskirts of the town, attempt a bayonet charge on enemies inside the town. HQ position TBA.

Artillery:
Set up two batteries on Pasteur Ridge either side of the Bouclecourt road as per map:
or other position once I'm up to speed on arty.

Engineers:
Follow the infantry. If they are forced to defensive stance, begin trenches that the infantry can use.

Standing orders:
Attacking enemies: as above.
Advance with rifle fire, except in the case above.
Do not pursue the enemy.
Break off at 2/3 casualties.

Phase two:
Once there are no more enemy in the town, we will set up to ensure that the town remains in our hands.

Infantry brigades: We will set up two lines of entrenchemnent in the town. Extra infantry work on entrenching between St C and Gooneville woods.

Cavalry: Move to the west side of gooneville woods and take up a defensive stance. If there is no enemy in sight, begin entrenching. May be retasked when Heygail's troops approach.

Engineers:
Dig a second line trench between St C and Gooneville.

Artillery:
moving to some kind of positions that will support an advance southwest of town.

Standing orders:
Halt and defend against attacking enemy.
Advance with rifle fire
Don't pursue enemy
Break off at 2/3 Casualties

Phase Three:
A series of objectives to follow if the town is taken without much trouble. To begin on command only.

Cavalry:
Scout wherever there are no enemy in sight. By priority: Strawberry fields, Brioche, Flanderscamps sud, bois de haute.

Infantry:
Further objectives as follows: Strawberry fields, The gap between Brioch and Dejuner ridge, then Bois de bacon, then quattreprouts. On reaching each point, defend until all visible enemies are destroyed.

Standing orders:
Halt and defend
Advance with rifle fire
Don't pursue enemy
Break off at 1/2 casualties.

Admin:
(Attack formation to follow)

Command and control:
(TBA once I've finished the field manual)

Apologies if this is too long-winded, I've gone overboard with the contingencies because I haven't fully read the change of orders stuff and I wanted to get something out tonight.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 14, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

My current plan for the engineers is to have them form the second line trench running from Saint C to Gooneville woods. This gives us a useful fallback if the french counterattack the city while we're entrenching, the infantry can fight back while the engineers continue in safety. If things go better than expected (lol) then it'll be wasted effort but we won't care because we'll be busy advancing.

They'll also have orders for the worst case scenario to help entrench if the lead brigade gets bogged down before reaching Saint C.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

79th Brigade Orders

Forces:
1x Infantry Brigade incl. trench mortar
3 Cav squadrons, 1 cav mg squadron, 1 horse's arse, 1 engineer company.
4x 7.7cm artillery

Mission: To take and hold St Croissant and advance further SW if possible.

Phase one - Attack St Croissant:
We will be at the head of the Division. When we enter the area the order of march will be Light cavalry, Arse Hotillery, MG Cav, Infantry Brigade, Injuneers, Field artillery. We will travel by the Bouclecourt Road.

Division Cavalry:
Formation:

The four squadrons are to proceed to St C as fast as possible. They are to continue through any enemy fire not directly in front of them. Div Horse Artillery follows and splits off as per map.

If the way is blocked they will act according to the number of enemy units in sight:
  • If the visible enemy is two or less units, they should fire on the enemy.
  • If the enemy is three or more units, they should attempt to manoeuvre around the enemy (preferably in a NW direction) and attempt to continue to the town.
If they reach the town cav-charge any enemy. Go to a defensive stance if the town is empty.

Infantry:
Formation:

Advance via the Bouclecourt road toward St Croissant. The Brigade will deploy into battle order between the Fermes de Confit and Beurrre, or before if the way is blocked. They will then attack St Croissant using rifle fire. If more than 3 companies gain the outskirts of the town, the entire brigade is to attempt a bayonet charge on enemies inside the town.

The trench mortar should set up as soon as it is in range of the far side of the town.

If the town has been occupied by a brigade or greater (more than 7 units visible in or contiguous with the town) change to a defensive footing and concentrate on firing at the enemy. The attack will resume when less than five units are visible or upon command.

Division Artillery:
Set up here:

Engineers:

Follow the infantry. If they are forced to defensive stance, begin trenches that the infantry can use.

Standing orders during phase one:
Attackers sighted: as above.
Advance with rifle fire, except in the case above.
Do not pursue the enemy.
Break off at 2/3 casualties.

Phase two - Fortifying:
Phase two only begins once the town is clear of enemies.

Infantry brigade:
Deploy to defend the town and then go to defensive stance. Entrench where possible:

My units have the yellow dots.

Cavalry:
If the Infantry hasn't caught up, wait for them to arrive at the town. Then move to the Gooneville woods and take up a defensive stance with one unit looking outward and the rest of the formation inside. Entrench. We'll retask or reassign to another command as required, but if they're still there when Hey Gail's troops arrive, then the cav should move back to the NE side of the woods to allow her to take up her positions.

Engineers:
Dig a second line trench between St C and Gooneville wood.

Artillery including Hoe Astillery:
remain in place and entrench.

Standing orders during phase two:
Attackers sighted: Halt and defend against attacking enemy.
Advance with rifle fire
Don't pursue enemy
Break off at 2/3 Casualties

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hop onto roll 20, copy a brigade worth of units, arrange it in the space below the map and then take and crop a screenshot.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1. Good
2. They're as good as they can be but not a magic bullet
3. Reasonably
4. poetry Who gets to the town first
5. We take ground in a diagonal line from upper left to lower right with a salient toward Quatreprouts
6. We're stuck in our quarter of the map

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Sandman posted:

19th Division, 13th Brigade ("The Baker's Dozens") Orders

Interesting, if the town has any opposition we're going to turn up in a more or less coordinated assault with two reinforced brigades with reserves close behind. Should make for a hell of a dust-up:unsmigghh:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Now the lead platoon
of the lead brigade is lost
take left fork and hope

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

umm... where's our artillery?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Amazing :allears:

I think the 43rd's two runners should be used to divert the last two brigades the help the 16th. Mine will more or less be fine sitting on St C and the 78th will at least settle in a position where the can fire oont the french attacks

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Thought - not this turn but later, I could send the 43rd Div cavalry way round the back to cut their telephone wires and attack div HQs. They'll almost certainly be in Livredepot, Dallas, maybe Graisse

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

How many turns will we be out of command as the Div HQ moves?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've updated the location of 19th div infantry bdes in roll20, together with my best guesses on whose artillery is where. In doing so, I saw a few things that not everyone may realize:

- The majority of Covski's bde is alive. Even the majority of Nastytoes' troops are alive. Doomed, ofc, but alive, and that means that they'll cause french casualties.
- the majority of 19th's artillery are in place and ready to fire. The french arty is out of range, so they'll lose more infantry to the cannon and machine guns. I count 8 guns near beurre farm that didn't move last turn and are in range of the enemy, although some might still be moving. This also means that to advance any further, the french have to fight through a whole bunch of guns and it will be several turns before they can counter fire.

- Near st C, we have 3 brigades v. 4, but one of ours is defending, which means they fire first. I think our combined forces there will exact a big toll on them, wiping out anything within rifle range of the city. The follow up brigade will probably be bloodied as well if it advances.

So I think essentially by 1100 that we'll lose four brigades to their two. Given we should have an advantage because we're defending, that should be enough to defend our gains until reinforcements arrive.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Anything north of the Nainville road is out of range of their guns. Let's get the reserves into place and get those useless heavy cannons behind the ferme de confit over to protect them. Stationary artillery in this game is very powerful and the best way to neutralize their huge battery is to force them to move it. I've marked out the zone of fire of the big battery.

Tias posted:

When can I order the jägers again?

Depends on how many runners we get, which we don't know right now. We should all make plans for what we need to do if we do get them.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 19, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I was looking at the movement of that brigade and I'm pretty sure that right now it's heading for la Oeuf. The question is, when it finally gets a change of orders, will it head to quatreprouts or back into the battle?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Are the reinforcement brigades assigned to a particular div HQ? it would make sense for Steinrokkan's HQ to take over control of them .

E: oh, i didn't realize that.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 19, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

We really need to assign a permanent commander to the 5th.

We have:
Supernumeraries:
Koolkevz666,
Taishi Chi
Ghetto Prince

Possibly Glynnenstein

and suddenly free brigadiers:
The Sandman
Covski
Nastytoes

Maybe soon Ikasuhito

I suggest that we give the guys who haven't played a chance to step up but if that hasn't happened by the next turn, one of the old brigadiers can have it. Please register your interest.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 19, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

They are under the 43rd because Tevery thought that the 19th HQ would be gone by the time they arrived.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

If I get a runner opportunity, this is my orders:

79th Brigade Orders:

Mission: to defend St Croissant.

Bring brigade HQ back into the center of town and replace the MGs at the front with Infantry Have the MG companies in the second line so that they can fire through the Infantry. Move my trench mortar about 4" north and about 1" west so that it's about level with the north side of town. If the infantry takes 3/4 casualties, All units are to move back into the town proper so that they cannot be seen from outside.

Cavalry to dismount and defend if they haven't already.

Artillery:
Move the horse arty to this spot here, which I calculate to be out of range of their artillery.

Engineer: Entrench from the NE corner of St C towards the Ferm de Beurre.

Standing orders:

Engage with rifle fire
When an enemy retreats, Do not pursue
Auto Break off: Fight to the last man!

End of orders.

To my fellow commanders:

My feld kannon are still to the NE of St C, where they will fire on the enemy. But if you need to move past them, do so, as your brigades have more firepower. I can always move them after if needed.

Perestroika, I could definitely do with your brigade remaining in place until 1200 to help dispatch the second group of french infantry and spread the casualties.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Feb 21, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Maths, the true enemy of the infantryman :mil101:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I was thinking about what to do with the cavalry. I'd like to have them stay and defend until about 1200, when we should be in a more stable situation. My telephone cutting mission turned out to be impractical as they'd cut the last cable about midnight.

However, we could do any of the following:
  • Capture Brioche - two turns
  • Capture Haltebruit - 3 turns
  • Take a position in the bois de bacon that has a field of fire on the approaches of quattroporte - about 5 turns
  • Take a position of la oeuf and distract the enmey infantry brigade.
or anything else you can think of.

I could also disguise the movement by going the long way around goonville wood, taking an extra turn or two, popping into the enemy's view somewhere unexpected.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also important to note that one french brigade has disappeared in the direction of La oeuf (and it's guns are probably moving right now) and the one near Clemencau is def well entrenched by now.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 22, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Are you interested in taking over the 5th? We still need a permanent commander and I'm going to make sure it happens one way or another before the next turn. Anyone else who wants it, speak up now!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Let's see. There are a few necessities - Saros needs to pull out of gun range before the french get him, although it might already be too late. The FR brigade near Nainville is probably too far gone to recall, but I think we can probably expect artillery to stop them anyway.

We need to get those heavies from the Ferm confit somewhere useful. If we put them supporting St C, my weakened brigade could hold the town quite easily by itself. That would free up Perestroika's and Cryodude's brigades to manoeuvre. Alternatively, we could send them to support Hey Gail, saros and 5th, although that presents command and control problems.

A french demi-brigade is heading for the bois Baguette, if they come through there they should eventually come under fire from my kannons, but if they turn toward the town of Baguette they could get in there unopposed.

I don' see Clemenceau leaving their trenches with three enemy brigades in sight.

There is the possibility of french reinforcements. So I think we should consider what we have now our home territory and only move outside it when we can destroy enemy units. We can worry about objectives later.

So we've pretty much got four brigades to manoeuvre, although we can only really coordinate two. We really want to combine to try and get two on one attacks and destroy another brigade.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

For my defense, I think I'd pull my troops into the town center away from the shelling, leave my (yellow) cannons where they are, get one of the green batteries on the west side of St C. The other green battery one could probably go with you, and probably the cav, too.

Edit IRT your edit: Reinforcements are on my mind too, and because of that I would avoid anything that goes into the southern quarter of the map or near Baguende. But we'd make victory much more clear cut if we can destroy an enemy brigade while still having all our brigades in fighting condition.

e.2: I'd be careful of setting up right on top of the ridge. a bunch of their artillery has disappeared and if we stopped on top they could set up and fire at you from anywhere nearby.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 22, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This is what I'm considering for a town defence designed to resist a single brigade without outside assistance. The green dot guns are from Perestroika's brigade. The Infantry are in shelling range from Clemenceau, so to prevent attrition, I'd withdraw them into the town where they can't be seen. Potentially we could strengthen is with the cavalry units or with the 15cm howitzers also from Perestroika's brigade.

Trin, are we able to entrench inside a town?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Orders - 79th Brigade:

Defensive huddle in town:

Yellow dot artillery are mine, ignore the greendot ones. The artillery and the outside MG to begin entrenching. Engineers to head over to the crudely edited in red arrow and help entrench. Arse Hotillery to the Blue one and entrench

Cavalry to move into baguette, via a route that goes behind my artillery, out of sight of the enemy. Once in baguette, stay within the back half of the town, dismount and prepare an ambush. Map of route:

Formation:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 23, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I'm not necessarily condoning the plan without seeing the details, in particular how we coordinate to prevent my cav dying uselessly the moment they're in the field of fire of the guns, since that's my look out. But I've altered my orders to deploy cav to baguette, since I won't have another opportunity to change them before the deadline. Baguette is within 30" of the 49th HQ, so they will be within command radius, although whether we have enough runners to execute my orders is also up in the air.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 23, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Straight out nope from me. It was a reasonable plan but the french didn't play ball. Now circumstances have changed, there's a new threat from another direction and we've committed to an attack on the other side. I'll be taking the cav back to the west once I work out where they'll be the most use. I think sandman needs to preserve his brigade because if it goes, high command will probably cancel our operation as mentioned near the end of the last update.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 24, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Trin Tragula posted:

Back at General Tevery Beste von Polieren's headquarters, the telephone rings. It's General Kuno's chief of staff, who wishes to point out that if you lose very slightly less than half your remaining forces (including any further reinforcements), the Army Commander will stop the battle and order you to break off and regroup to the rear.

Just wanna confirm that you're referring to the two brigades we already requested and not that we can request more reinforcements? Cause we'd sooo be taking adavantage of that.

Also, was there a General Beresford in WWI? I was working in Beresford St today, suspiciously close to Kitchener Rd and Jutland Rd.

Edit: Another, probably more sensible question - Are my engineers doing what they were told? Are they even still alive?

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 24, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, I'm thinking a lot about the Brigade that appeared out west, we were discussing it a bit in roll20. I've only got a small window for orders tomorrow, so I'm going to set out my thoughts right now.

As I see it, it's miles from command and control, it probably has some cunning set of orders to go and take some point that the french want. I think these are most likely:

We will of course know more about what they intend after the next round. They could get to st C in 6 turns but will probably take a few more.

This piece here, entitled Jaguar und Tod, represents my worst nightmare:

If their back brigade somehow manages to get close enough, they could order an attack from Clemenceau, pinching us at St C, and the town would fall. Unlikely, maybe, but the only way it succeeds is if we ignore it, so it's worthy of planning consideration.

For my part, I plan to harass with Cavalry, since the brigade is pretty much on autopilot and will either not react or overreact.

I'm going to send my Cav to somewhere like one of these ones with instructions to retreat before casualties are likely, in order to force their support units to set up out of place, or possibly cause some casualties, especially with the horse arty. This might hinder and delay, but in the worse case, it won't actually stop them advancing on St C.

Next turn, I can also redeploy my guns if I think they are coming to get me.

So basically, I'm requesting that this turn, one brigade is kept close enough to help defend St C. It doesn't have to be directly defending the town, just available to ensure I don't have to defend all by myself.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 24, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

79th Brigade orders

Cavalry group:
No change to formation.
Move to here:

Dismount. If the enemy infantry come within rifle range or the cannons are seen to be unlimbering within shelling range*, move back towards St Croissant. The MG troop can fire if the situation allows. If you come under artillery fire, retreat all the way back to where my cannons are.

Arse Hotillery:
Move to the position right at the tip of the arrow:

Retreat if any enemy enters brioche, or if cannon are seen unlimbering within range.* The line of retreat is toward Fraisechamps, then back to St Croissant. If infantry or MG gets within firing range, withdraw 4" back on the same line of retreat.

*If the artillery stops for a turn while close enough to hit my units, then I consider that a sign that they're unlimbering.

Engineer company:
Extend the trenchline from my cannon out towards HEY GAIL's unit.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 25, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

Also a heads up:

I will be absent for most of today, so here's what I want you to do:

- get HEY GAL out of the trenches and down towards the fighting, stat,
- get Sandman out of Baguette and somewhere safe to act as reserve,
- suggest what to do about the pickle Perestroika's in,
- present plans for the most effective use of Jaguars!'s cavalry,
- find me two German commanders with attitude for potential deployment.

Trin, if you could provide with a list of currently available reinforcements, that would be appreciated. NOT THAT WE WOULD WANT OR NEED ANY BUT STILL

Cav wise, I think the best thing to do will be to simply hightail it down to reinforce Cryodude's artillery. They can be within range in four turns so if the BEF attacks they'll arrive in time to hit them before they reorganize.

Edit: WRT to last post, this also opens the way for wirecutting shensnigans tonight:getin:

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 26, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Man, that is one ugly drawing :barf:

79th Brogade orders:

Cav Div:

Move down 'ere and help fight off anyone attacking the guns. They are allowed to move to either side of the guns if it helps them get into contact, but they aren't allowed to block the guns.

Er, Hilly Arse Rot:

The Horse Artillery is to go down to the southwestern corner of fraisechamps and entrench. Retreat towards gooneville then St Croissant if infantry get into rifle range.

Engineers:
Dig trenches from St C to Ferme Confit.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 26, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I'll admit to being outfoxed and/or outstupided by the guy near Flanderschamps who just ate all my cav. I wasn't expecting him to move from his new entrenchments and even if he wanted to, I didn't think he'd have the command ability to do it. I lost my prized horse arty to a misread of the rules as well :smith:

Trin Tragula posted:

The following rules are relevant to night operations.

One hour before total darkness, at 1930, the hill spotting rules will be suspended and spotting will only be possible at a maximum of 12" for any unit that does not fire.

At 2030, all units will spot only at 4" unless opening fire. The rule which does not allow close combat between unspotted units will be suspended; if units bump each other in the night, there will be close combat.

It is significantly harder to get a change of orders through at night, and there is a chance that units will lose their way and not move entirely as intended.

The game will advance at double speed after 2030 in eight-turn updates and halved deadlines where my schedule allows.

Reminder of the night rules. For the next update, the first turn will be daylight rules, the next two will be twilight (no spotting bonus for being on top of the hills) and the last will be fully dark.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 28, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What? I can't say one single thing there worries me in the least. We had a unlucky turn and a small fuckup (in an immensely complicated game), move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've got one working near St C. I'm going to get them to ransack a farm this round and lay wire around St C in the cover of darkness.

• Locked thread