Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

Yeah, you should probably do that. You're extremely valuable in that position and having you just take root will mean less problems trying to get the two soon-to-be-clown-shows on Dej to do something useful.
gotcha, until the internet comes back on for me i'm going to

-dig in
-screen the movements of neighboring brigades
-anchor the northern end of our lines blob

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Perestroika posted:

Great, the Inselaffen finally arrived. :shepicide:

did anyone lose a contemptible little army?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saros posted:

The few remnants of my Bde are pretty much superflous in their current position, I could reposition them west to speedbump that new french Bde?

if nothing else, get behind me

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
hahahaha YESSS

edit: it looks like almost nothing is going to happen in the northEAST--how useful will the 77th remain in that place? the british troops are coming in from the south and we are almost fresh

what about the bde currently in baguette?

edit 2: i'm a dumbass who does not know directions

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 26, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Good lord, gently caress me. My heart was pounding when I thought my big gun support was about to rout. Now, to hope that BEF brigade marching towards Q can be held off.

E: Pulling some of our troops off of the eastern flank might be a good idea, it looks like the French have pretty much given up over there.

i mean, i'm wary of their big guns, but i haven't even been fired on recently

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

We can try to sneak Hegel out via the trenches onto the low ground so that her troops are not spotted and the French are kept unaware the trenches are now empty, but that would take time.
how do we hide my guns, tell people each horse is actually an unusually large dog?

edit: Trin, what mechanical effects does nightfall have on the enemy's ability to see me doing things?

edit 2: tie a sprig of leaves to the spike of my helmet, i can be a shrub

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 26, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

- get HEY GAL out of the trenches and down towards the fighting, stat,
yo my internet works now

edit: let me make sure we're on the same page: in your opinion, it's more important that i move quickly and less important that i am stealthy?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 26, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
77th Bde Orders

Vacate your trenches and get onto the Saint Croissant road in marching order heading south/southwest as fast as possible.
Leave the road before you get to the town and continue overland, bearing southwest. Try to avoid Bois de Goonville and the farm Fraise-Champs. Our aim is speed.
Form up into battle order once you get level with the farm.
Continue onto Dej, behind the 78th.

Same battle order as before: infantry in front, machine guns in back, big guns behind that.

(front = top of picture)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, halt and fire on them.
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, hold position
Break off automatically upon receiving 1/2 casualties.
If flanked, refuse the line and fire at the people firing on you.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 28, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tevery Best posted:

Stay out of the valley between the ridges, it's under enemy artillery fire. You'll be better off just going straight onto Dej.
Gotcha.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
If I see that french cav, I will tip my hat to them as gallant foes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

I'm sure the observer thread is going to LOVE all our salt.

Honestly, my morale is pretty much gone at this point. There's no way we survive long enough to win or even call it a draw, we only need to lose a few more companies to trigger the auto-loss. Should we just call it and get on with the next scenario?

we've got two brigades in good order in Fraise Champs and St. Croissant and the french and english are both scattered all over the place. we can still win this. Chill.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Sure, we COULD pull of some Magic Dice Roll Bullshit lining up perfectly with a bit of bad planning on their part, but let's be real - I'm a few turns away from being pried out of Q by British steel, and my glorious death will push us over the auto-loss limit, game over.

E: Isn't our limit 160 dead companies?

they're coming towards me, not you
dig in, fortify, and chill

well-prepared infantry can always repulse a cavalry charge, this has been true from the Landsknechts on to the present day and now it doesn't even take a half an hour to reload a rifle. Have you forgotten your Kriegsgeschichte?

edit: the limit is a quarter of all forces on the field including reinforcements. we are not going to autolose. we are going to be fine.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 28, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

I'll stick around and see how it all pans out, but my prediction is the BEF wheels around, knifes me to death, and game over.
you are in a town, which gives you shelter. Chilllllll.

quote:

E: Honestly, let me sleep it off and I'm sure I'll be way more optimistic in the morning. Right now I'm ruminating and composing my death poem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrows_of_Young_Werther

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaguars! posted:

What? I can't say one single thing there worries me in the least. We had a unlucky turn and a small fuckup (in an immensely complicated game), move on.
:same:

bruh, i am in formation with my machine guns ready. i yearn only for cav death. it will happen.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

I'm honestly starting to suspect that they are mixing rage virus into the Roggenbrot at the Prussian military academy. Attacking an at least equal-sized entrenched enemy including emplaced guns forces an encounter that could not possibly be more stacked in the enemy's favor. It does the exact opposite of buying time.
yeah, i've got machine guns, i've got my 77s, i can entrench along the road like you and steinrokkan have been talking about

cryodude, your elan is to be comended, but drink a schnapps or two and consider our position.

edit: i was telling you not to flip out with sorrow last night, now i'm telling you not to flip out with bloodthirstiness. am i the calmest brigade commander here?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
77th Orders

Center wheel and dress left against the brigade in St. Croissant. Take up a defensive position along the road. As soon as the enemy comes into range of your big guns, start hammering them, then machine-gun them.

"I lust only for cav death." --Hegel, right now

edit: do i have time to shuffle my machine guns around? i do not like their current placement. if i have time, i want a machine gun on the outer rear corner of my formation, here

edit 2: i feel better about this than all of you, for some reason. After his crisis of german emotions, Oberst Hegel has been stalwart all day.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 2, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
why is the kaiser giving me bedroom eyes in that pic

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jaguars! posted:

With no Casualties and hardly any daylight turns to worry about, we should at least make an attempt to recapture Q. Send the two healthy brigades there, have the small ones come in to defend St C, we don't need to defend the Bouclecourt road anymore bacause the Gooneville road is still a functioning line of communication.

There are two routes to Q we could use, we could go via la Oeuf, which will be opposed, or we could move to Haltebruit then immediatly due south, which will may be detected later and will have less people in the way.

Night movement will take a lot of time, so we could set an attack time, say 0500 and have both brigades move toward Q in a coordinated fashion. A late successful attack will work better than an early uncoordinated one and will give the french little time to react.

As I see it, it should be worthwhile, I think we should go big or go home.

i don't want to move at night and i don't want to divide our forces in the face of the enemy, but on the other hand i am sick to my teeth that we didn't get charged, i've been waiting for a fight all day

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
having seen the rest of what you guys were talking about, i really really do not want to move from a fortified position to an unsure position, on terrain i don't know, at night

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we have seen again and again the overwhelming advantage defenders get, when they are properly prepared to receive an attack. not to mention that you are never supposed to divide your forces in front of the enemy, not to mention that we'd be trying to do all this in the dark. you'd be throwing away the advantages we do have, which is guns and a good position.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

koolkevz666 posted:

I've avoided doing so mostly because I am already in two other LP's and only have the joys of MS paint for making maps. .
same, my arrows are so lovely Trin literally said something about it once

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
gently caress, i didn't post in time

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

I was really looking forward to that bottle of champagne Brigadier Hegel promised.
aww. :(:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Mon Pere may have died, but that was fully loving sick

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my position owns, digging in is good, heavy guns behind my infantry is good (seriously, dude who wanted me to put them in front), i don't want to move

and i have no dog in this fight but the fact remains that people don't listen to cryodude sometimes

edit: can i borrow an engineer? i'd like someone to forage for some barbed wire for me

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 4, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the less we do the better, imo

our plans are always ridiculously overcomplicated and that's the reason they fail a lot. when things go poorly, we flip out. when things go well, we flip out with happiness.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

With how long the updates are in the night we can't react to circumstances, and movement is apparently more difficult as well. This does not scream "get moving" to me. Is there anything at all we can get out west? I think now that Hegel is entrenched we might as well keep her right there, but that total lack of anything in terms of flank protection is giving me bellyache.

e: Hegel, Steinrokkan, anyone else
Do you think that Hegel's position would be improved by moving three infantry companies from 77bde's back row into a line going straight north from 77bde's western- and northernmost current infantry company? Or is it all the same?
what about wire? what about shifting a machine gun to the outside of the back row?

bear in mind that my right flank is in Bois de Goonville, so anyone i move there would have to think about visibility as well

ed: at the very least, i'm ordering the extra company that is not odd-man-out on my right flank to get behind the other ones, but i like thick lines

ed 2: can i keep the orphan companies i managed to pick up? and how's their morale looking?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Mar 4, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Goodbye Horses. I'm gonna have that pic of Mon Pere sitting out with his rear end hanging in the wind in front of two and a half emplaced brigades fuckin framed. Did we seriously look quite so dead that he thought he'd only have to walk into the town?
at one thirty in the morning as well

he may simply have wanted to make an epic show of it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

e: Hegel, Steinrokkan, anyone else
Do you think that Hegel's position would be improved by moving three infantry companies from 77bde's back row into a line going straight north from 77bde's western- and northernmost current infantry company? Beef it up with the easternmost MG? Or is it all the same?
if i move co'ys backward i run the risk of backing up onto my own artillery, where precisely are you thinking of having me put them

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

Working off this picture, which is the last GM-official one I have of 77bde's position

https://lpix.org/2726498/Mon%20Pere%20in%20the%20valley%20of%20death.PNG

Thick lines are probably good. If we swing the westernmost five companies, those four inf and the MG, north?

Like so? Yellow infantry plus that MG move, black are the new positions. That new thing in the corner is the MG.

Jaguars!, can you queue up some wire in front of 77bde as well? What's the wire situation anyway, do we have any left? I think we had three obstacles' worth.

i wonder if that 7.5 that showed up and decided to tag along could go next to my headquarters to avoid stepping on the infantry's heels. (i suppose my headquarters is some canvas stretched out in the trees, leading from as close to the front as i can in the 20th century. horses hobbled next to the table i'm writing my messages on, i light my cigarettes from my own campfire...roughing it!)

i already asked him for wire, i'm thinking southwest of my line, protecting my right flank

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

koolkevz666 posted:

Well I give deserved props to cryo for being right about Quatreprouts though that seems to have been a failing of the French than a success on our part. I guess looking at those final positions they were expecting us to come out and attack them instead of them coming to us.
i have talked to my dad and he told me he was counting on us trying more overcomplicated bullshit, and was negatively surprised when we did not

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
morning, and by morning i mean...noon.

brigade me if the people who didn't have a chance before have enough places, either infantry or cav

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

From: Generaloberst Kuno Augustus Friedrich Karl Detlev Graf von Moltke, Second Army
gesundheit

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Alright, we've been hard at work in Roll20, and have a preliminary OOB. If you've volunteered for a line officer spot and didn't get one, fear not - there's still PLENTY to come, this is just for the first day and a half.

For everyone who's in the OOB, please chime in within 72 hours to confirm you're still active and accept your command.

18th Cav - Saros
1bde - Ikashuhito
2bde - The Sandman
3bde - mossyfisk
4bde - RaffyTaffy

72nd Inf - Flesnolk
1bde - HEY GAIL
2bde - Capfalcon
3bde - Koolkevz666
4bde - Fatis Munk
accept and wb to everyone from the first round

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah sorry we couldn't give everybody what they wanted. We had approximately 10 trillion cavalry applicants and like 2 infantry, so we just did it first come, first served spiced with a bit of "make sure there are people who know the game in positions X and Y." If you guys want to switch that's Flesnolk's call, just know that the first 2 cav brigades are the spearhead so be active and know the rules well.
i prefer infantry, i don't have the temperament for cav

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh wait I'm a dummy who forgets what my own divisions are. You're definitely infantry, I worded it weird. Fixed now, any switches should be okay'd by both Saros and Flesnolk
yes i know that, i was responding to the people who said we had a billion cav applicants and two infantry

sorry for the misunderstanding

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazycryodude posted:

In other news, lots of credit to mossyfisk in the Roll20 for catching that Trin mentioned wheeled companies in the rules. Earlier on we were joking that the Brits might have brought armored cars or the Marne taxis or something, but it's a serious possibility now.

E: These dudes, probably. If I had to guess, they're MG's on crack.

those whitewall tires are swag as hell

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

On the subject of your order of battle.

Your cavalry division is the Bavarian Cavalry Division, with the 1st-4th Bavarian Cavalry Brigades. Your infantry division is the 40th (Saxon) Division, with the 86th, 87th, 88th, and 89th (Saxon) Brigades.

You may all be part of the German armed forces, but the Bavarian Army is not the same thing as the Saxon Army; neither of which which are same thing as the Wurttemburg Army, nor the Prussian Army. Have fun with that.

also, you may refer to the infantry brigades via the following Official Codewords for added security

86th: Green Brigade
87th: Grubby White Brigade
88th: Slightly Pinkish Brigade
89th: Somewhat Mauve Brigade

Ja ne, nuuuu

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mossyfisk posted:

I think the primary concern is cavalry keeping themselves from sniggering every time they hear Ronny from the Infantry speak.
i know two dudes named ronny and two marios, a henri, a peggy, and a janine. the last one was named after a brand of perfume

edit: the bavarian cav needs to be Pappenheim fanboys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
aaaa! thank you!

• Locked thread