Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

Capturing the objective isn't an auto victory. There is a TIMER, of an undisclosed length, and it would be naive, imho, to assume that Trin would just end the game because of a technicality.

The units can start moving in earnest in a couple turns when the French are guaranteed to be soundly repelled. I'm not proposing staying in current positions forever, just not getting ahead of ourselves.

If the French start pouring reinforcements onto the map, to stream south of St. C. to wherever they may be needed, then a hasty advance on our side to capture Q solely to satisfy the win condition will get torn to pieces. If they don't, we need not hurry that much. Either way, a consolidated effort is needed.

Obviously for now we need to regroup. There is a sizeable gap in our lines and we are in artillery range for no real reason. So consolidating our position is wise.

But for now we are letting them have free reign of Q. They can easily move artillery onto Dej and we will not shift a huge battery like the one on Clemenceau right now. And if they position guns on that ridge, then whether or not it is a victory toggle for them or not, our options of going there are zero and we are left trying to win on damage with a numerically inferior force against an entrenched enemy.

We need to try to attack Dej and we need to do that quick, before they bring guns or engineers onto the ridge. This is not mutually exclusive with the consolidation of our position east of STC.

EDIT: For now we may content ourselves with interdicting it. Position artillery on the road between Brioche and STC as we gather troops for the offensive, then push and take it before it becomes too dangerous to attack.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I am not much convinced that would be the case. They obviously know Q is our objective, if not their objective as well - we saw them move in that direction or at least attempt to interdict our movements, and I do not think they would do that all just for flank security if they could just entrench on Clem all day. This leads me to believe that if they had an objective parallel to what Q is for us, we would be told in advance to defend it.

(Which might imply STC is that objective.)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Take it with my blessing, I recall you trying to dibs it in roll20 before last turn even, so Ikasuhito will have to wait.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

Just so we get as much time as possible to consider this, I'd like to present the fundamentals of Sandman's plan (he should expand on this later in his own post, as mentioned above), which he very thoroughly drafted in Roll 20 chat.

Well, basically we have this situation on our eastern flank
- Saros' brigade is too weak to do anything but support another unit
- Sandman's brigade is in a fine fighting shape, but critically LACKS ANY ARTILLERY
- Hey Gal's brigade is currently ordered to retreat, and because she is the only one up there with any long range guns, her leaving would force everybody else to follow, just to keep the French from picking them off with impunity.

So this is the plan, as I would understand it:
- The French have positioned substantial artillery near the town of Baguette.
- This artillery is vulnerable to an ambush, thanks to the various terrain obstacles in front of them. Their ability to see our forces, including Sandman, is limited at best.
- Therefore we can use Baguette as a staging grounds for a counterattack.
- There are multiple ways to go about this - we can move cavalry from Croissant to Baguette. This would put them into charging range of the French batteries, giving us an opportunity to strike with unseen units.
- We can also stealthily put as many companies from Sandman's brigade into the outskirts of Baguette, where they would be difficult to spot, and let him ambush advancing Frenchment, hopefully including their artillery.
- However, in order to protect this counterattack in any scenario, it would be optimal to have Hey Gal stay in her general area, where she, with Saros' help, would be uniquely placed to protect our flank from the French brigade(s) that are known to be loitering in the North, as well as to provide artillery fire at the gap between Baguette and the nearby forest, thus supporting defenders of the town against survivors of initial fighting in the area.
- Personally I think Hey Gal is absolutely a pivotal player in this gambit even if she shouldn't remain under the same command as Sandman for long, since she, once again, has all the significant artillery in that sector. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea that gives us an opportunity to clear by far the greatest threat to the stability of our flank, and I support it, albeit it's a dangerous plan for those involved as well.

In conclusion, even if this doesn't get approved, I'd like to thank Sandman for continuing with his creative planning, he's been a real MVP this game.

I agree that killing off the artillery would be quite a coup, but it is risky as hell. I'll need to see the full plan before committing to anything. The cavalry thing is a problem, since they are attached to Jaguars!, and he's too far away to be able to command them there in this situation. Also we need to roll in that flank eventually, get to the reverse slope of Pasteur, at least. I understand the pacing must be proper to avoid having people die for no reason and all.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sandman, where are my posts? I cannot approve a plan without seeing it.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Here's a brief list of people who have posted orders since the last update:

- Aphid

- Jaguars!
- Perestroika

If you are not on the list and should be (because you have in fact posted orders but I missed them), yell at me below.

If you are not on the list and HAVE NOT POSTED ORDERS, then I have no idea what the hell you are waiting for.

Steinrokkan, I'm not sure if you can move while reassigning Saros and Sandman to your command, but if you do, please start considering where you want to relocate your HQ to. Even if we do not give up the eastern side of Pasteur just yet, we will do it eventually, and the only thing between you and a French brigade is Saros's three companies or so.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Perestroika posted:

78th Brigade Orders

Infantry, MGs, and Brigade Command
Retreat backwards into the woods in good order, continuing to present the formation's front to the enemy. Once no longer under fire, wheel about and move westwards towards Brioche, swinging a bit northerly. Once directly north of Brioche, split up and move to the indicated positions. Any unit shown adjacent to the city is to take cover in its outskirts.
Conditional: All units are to stay out of the range of the french artillery on La Ouef or Dejeuner Ridge. If that artillery moves northwards or new batteries appear at a more northerly position, all shown positions outside the city are to be shifted northwards until they're back out of range of that artillery.

Howitzer Artillery
Limber up and join the infantry's advance in roughly the same formation as the regular batle order. Under no circumstances is the artillery to move ahead of the infantry, when in doubt they're to slow down to let the infantry pull ahead. As shown below, two 15cms will take up position adjacent to 76th BDE's 7.7cm popguns northeast of Brioche, the other two will take up mirrored positions northwest of the town. The 10cm guns form up a line west of that. As usual, 2" of clearance are to be maintained to any units directly in front of the guns. If the infantry is shifted north as per the conditional above, the guns will follow suit, maintaining the same relative position to them.

Desired final positions:

(Batteries with a red dot indicate 76th BDE's guns)

Once all positions have been reached, switch to Defense Stance, start entrenchment, and dispatch a runner to report these orders fulfilled.

Standing Oders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Perestroika, we want to reposition you to interdict Dejeuner with artillery and prepare for an assault under artillery cover.

These orders are a fallback to protect north of Brioche.

Your artillery, once it arrives (way too late to assist in our advance), would not even be able to fire on the already-spotted enemy cavalry, they do not accomplish what they are supposed to accomplish. Please amend.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also, Sandman - if your plan of attacking their artillery calls for use of anything more than your single brigade, please do not attempt it, there is no way in hell we can coordinate enough units in the few hours we have before the deadline. This is not an indictment of the plan itself, but if it is anything that is difficult to coordinate, well, we are on a timer now.

HEY GAIL, please do not withdraw too far right now, shift over to the western slope of Pasteur to avoid having a duel with their eastern artillery units, but otherwise only start any withdrawals when Sandman does (coordinate with him, if possible, if not, you are authorised to fall back). Saros will probably be away from your left flank in two shakes, but if we position ourselves on the reverse slope, then you should have a few turns' worth of calm in that sector.

Also please please please speak up people.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also aphid please at least authorise Crazycryodude to move his artillery up to where it can fire at Dejeuner.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's just horse arty, which has a) more pressing concerns and b) about a wet fart's worth of firepower.

If you are very concerned about it, the One Simple Trick is to position your trench mortar *a little bit* ahead of the real guns so that it draws fire first.

EDIT: If crazycryodude pushes his guns forward, there's also quite a chance they'll be gone by the time you have your house in order.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Sandman is unavailable, but he asked me to post the following orders for his brigade:

"take up position in Baguette with the trench mortar and MGs in the [eastern] outskirts AMENDED: put infantry in the eastern outskirts, MGs in the town touching them. MGs are to shoot at the french gunline if in range, infantry are to hold fire"

"do not leave town unless the french gunline moves within 8" of the infantry, in which case bayonet charge them"

"or unless French infantry charges the town, in which case counter-charge, then move back into town after the french infantry is broken or dead"

He also asked that Jaguars orders his cav to charge any French artillery coming from the east when it gets within charge range, but I do not know if Jaguars can legally issue an order to that effect (as it would be a conditional triggered while outside of his command range).

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 23, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Trin Tragula posted:

He can certainly try!

Jaguars, it's up to you, if you make it on time. Make the call if you wish to charge the guns when they come into range or help cover the town.

Also, OPERATION LISBON IS GREEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AniH_l_ViTE
(official theme of Operation Lisbon)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
And now for another round of "is there absolutely anything that I should be doing before opening the thread hmmmmmm you know this room looks awfully dirty right now"

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I've been rewatching this scene from Gettysburg over and over again.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Homework assignment: every commander picks out a youtube clip that best describes their current situation and intent

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, please tell the French to also do the homework assignment (please don't tell them what we picked so far)

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
WE ARE WINNING THIS BATTLE

WE ARE ACTUALLY ON OUR WAY TO WIN

THERE ARE NO FRENCH ANYWHERE NEAR Q

by jove

Trin: can the cav in baguette see out to the SW?

Where is stein's hq?

What is the limber/unlimber situation of our guns on/north of dej and FR guns on dej?

EDIT: also does that red marker mean the French are done digging and are now less visible due to owning a trench? If it is a full trench and there were a unit with it, would we spot it with our infantry on Oeuf?

I am literally shaking with excitement

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 24, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
somebody post here to calm me down

or in roll20

somebody, anybody, I need to go to sleep soon and am manic as gently caress

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
All right. Now we need a plan for the deployment of our forces that adapts to four principal considerations:

1. Keeping a phone line safe. With that French brigade out by the west, it appears that the lines to the northwest may no longer be safe, or even useful. This would mean that we either move to neutralize that brigade or otherwise redeploy to safeguard the Paradise road from any and all enemy movement. The latter option seems easier to accomplish due to a lower French presence.
2. Not letting the French into STC. STC is the single most important position on the map right now: if they take it, we are done. Fortunately for us, if they do have any reserves left on Clemencau Ridge, they are hidden in the woods; and should they choose to come at us, we will see them first. We have guns trained on the approach to the city, but it would be foolish to think they would be enough to stop a determined push.

(A curious note here is that apparently we haven't been fired upon from the trenches at Clem, even though I think we should have had a company or two in range as of their last deployments.)

3. Holding Dej. It appears the French may not be aware of its strategic significance, or else they would have sent more substantial forces there. It is also possible they thought we were not prepared to attack and now that we have pretty much won the battle for that ridge - the French brigade there is now outnumbered more than 2:1, and their cannons (and MGs?) are about to be made irrelevant thanks to the timeless power of BAJONETT AUF - and in that case we should be prepared for a counteroffensive, and a more substantial one than just the shattered boys in blue trying their best to stick to the original orders. They might bring real units from the east, or may have something hidden in the woods. Graisse is also an option, although it could not hold all that many troopers, as is their arrival from the southern (and south-western?) edge of the map.

(A note: the brigade we are currently dispatching on Dej is unusual in the context of their other brigades, I think it is the first one we've seen that has two MG companies.)

4. Moving into Q as quickly as possible. Both Q and Graisse could hold no more than 9 unit stands, which suggests to me they are empty - they haven't had any bloodied units in this section of the field, and why would they split brigades so bizarrely? It is, however, possible that the rest of the notional brigades at those two locations skulks in the nearby woods. It is, I believe, unlikely, but not impossible, and so far nothing in this battle has been in any way, shape, or form "reasonable" or "sensible", unless it applied to us. It's about time we shift this paradigm.

Attacking Q is important and has to be done quickly and with overwhelming force. We might need artillery support to clear out any units coming in as reinforcements. At the same time, on our approach to the town we need to clear Bois de Bacon to ensure we will not be surprised from that direction, we also need to keep our communication lines to STC safe.

How do we reconcile these priorities? This is the task that we must set all our minds to. I encourage each and every one of you to speak up, draw arrows, discuss what has been said. Now is the make-or-break moment and our planning here is crucial; we are at the knife's edge between heroic victory and close, bitter defeat.

A few bonus tasks that are less flashy, but will be extremely helpful:

1) If someone could volunteer to review the updates and account for all French units spotted so far,
2) If someone could volunteer to update the Roll20 map,
3) If someone could finish TheSandman's subway map (it's in Roll20 and it was a cool idea and I'd love to see it finished, it might yet come in handy),

I would be extremely grateful.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Trin, which of our guns are classified as howitzers? How does shooting arty into towns work, what are the restrictions on it?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
What do we need them for? I'd be wary of calling them in without first having considered what we want to achieve with them. It would suck like a motherfucker to win on the field, rout half the French force, seize Q with a daring and dastardly manoeuvre, never expend even one expensive 15 cm shell and then lose on a technicality because of victory points running too low.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I mean maybe it doesn't, but I've seen enough games in my lifetime to know that "you've angered your superiors by asking them for more troops" nine times out of ten means you've lost victory points or have had your level of victory shift down.

I am not fundamentally opposed to making another call - as the French seem to have, so hey, it should balance out - but I won't do it without a good plan.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

aphid_licker posted:

Can we send the French a runner telling them that we wanna call it a draw? And for gently caress's sake let our reservepixels chill in the rear echelon. This is seriously getting to me IRL.

I literally couldn't sleep last night for an hour, tossing, turning, constantly revisiting the matter, constantly making plans, constantly considering and reconsidering. I have a deadline to make tomorrow, dammit!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

since i'm the only one up there with longrange guns, i see myself as the anchor/guard for any movements, am i correct?

Yeah, you should probably do that. You're extremely valuable in that position and having you just take root will mean less problems trying to get the two soon-to-be-clown-shows on Dej to do something useful.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Okay, so here's what we've come up with so far:

- Jaguars!'s plan of cav harassment of their new bde seems solid to me. We can do that. However,
- Dej is the crucial part of the battle. We are winning right now, but we need to get the troops in the Dej-Clem valley on that hill pronto, as soon as the last enemy company they're fighting dies.
- Crazy will advance on Q, while Perestroika holds the ridge. Some of Perestroika's guns will assist in the advance against the town and holding off any possible enemy reinforcements coming in from the southern map edge, the rest will help him defend the ridge and interdict the road from French trenches at Clemenceau to STC. The exact distribution of artillery in that sector should be decided by the Division Commander after discussion with the two commanders on the ridge and based on whatever it is that silly French division out west tries to do.
- I'd say Saros is either best used at Bouclecourt to safeguard it from any potential enemy sneak attack (and the bastards sure are sneaky) or helping with stuff like digging rear line trenches for The Sandman or bolstering the defence of STC. The call is ultimately steinrokkan's.

These are the best orders I can provide right now. The deadline is not too far away, so we should get right on those.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
A better question is how do we reply.

Here's my suggestion:

quote:

p cool song u made

we have song too
here
4 u but about us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6ESEvXiMPw

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
See if we did that then that would suck rear end. That's a very poor meme, completely missing the point of the whole format. We Are Number One is explicitly not something you just tack on to something else, it is a meme about remixing, refurbishing, video editing. This? You could insert Rickroll instead and change nothing else and you'd be set. No, my friend, only the top quality memes are permitted for this man's army.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Honestly I've been thinking. Just how bloody scared are those cheese-eating surrender monkeys? They lose one hill and jump straight to reinforcements?

We have them on the ropes, buddies, just gotta keep on the pressure!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Compared to how awful the French actually were in any fight where we were, you know, actually shooting back? They have to be an improvement.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That would be perfect, but I am getting wary of them actually coming along to bolster that lone western brigade with one Div Com, Foppish, Rear-Area, for the use of (alongside another brigade or two).

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Send a cable to general von Moltke.

pre:
WE HAVE FOUND GENERAL FRENCH'S CONTEMPTIBLE LITTLE PISS-BRIGADE STOP

PROCEEDING TO EVAPORATE IT WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE STOP

HOLD MEIN BIER STOP

JEDER SCHRITT EIN BRITT FULL STOP
Ensure it is intercepted by the enemy.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Now for real talk.

The French brigades in the east have disappeared. In fact, we have seen them move away to the south. They are bringing all they have for a general offensive on Dejeuner and Q - presumably in that order.

This means we can do the same.

We can try to sneak Hegel out via the trenches onto the low ground so that her troops are not spotted and the French are kept unaware the trenches are now empty, but that would take time.

Or just do full road movement ahead, drat the torpedoes!

That would, however, expose Sandman's position.

Alternatively, we can pull Sandman off the line and send him to bolster the fight for Dej, but he has no artillery...

What do we do, guys?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
So I woke up this morning with a Good Idea: remember when I said I am scared they could just swing north where we can't see them and cut our phones?

How about we call in a cav brigade and send in a lone uhlan company south with some wire cutters and a prayer to give the French a scare?

EDIT: I just counted that a cavalry unit would need seven turns at full off-road tilt to cut every possible wire the French may use to contact their corps command. That is a significant amount of time - but certainly it is not impossible we hold Q until then.

Tevery Best fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Also a heads up:

I will be absent for most of today, so here's what I want you to do:

- get HEY GAL out of the trenches and down towards the fighting, stat,
- get Sandman out of Baguette and somewhere safe to act as reserve,
- suggest what to do about the pickle Perestroika's in,
- present plans for the most effective use of Jaguars!'s cavalry,
- find me two German commanders with attitude for potential deployment.

Trin, if you could provide with a list of currently available reinforcements, that would be appreciated. NOT THAT WE WOULD WANT OR NEED ANY BUT STILL

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

yo my internet works now

edit: let me make sure we're on the same page: in your opinion, it's more important that i move quickly and less important that i am stealthy?

Haul rear end. I am 99% sure they can't have anything left in the area.

Trin Tragula posted:

Inquiries reveal that General Kuno may be able to send you one more regular brigade. It would arrive at about 2030. You would be able to choose infantry, artillery, or cavalry.

You know what, I'm just going to pass this one over to stein. Want some extra super troopers to command around? Artillery will be obviously useless, and cavarly aside from a gimmick run has probably limited utility (and, well, cutting their phone lines in 14 turns is of very limited utility, but an infantry brigade certainly won't go amiss. Only problem is I'd estimate that by 2030 we will either be shoe-in for winning the battle, or dead. Are we willing to chance that?

Jaguars! posted:

Cav wise, I think the best thing to do will be to simply hightail it down to reinforce Cryodude's artillery. They can be within range in four turns so if the BEF attacks they'll arrive in time to hit them before they reorganize.

Edit: WRT to last post, this also opens the way for wirecutting shensnigans tonight:getin:

I concur. Go forth and murder.

Has this been mailed to the French yet? I think we should mail it to the French. Make sure it is properly signed!

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
There's still plenty of time for that and right now we need you safeguarding our northern flank. Besides, at night you can launch that raid just as well from the top of the ridge.

EDIT: also, Jaguars! I think your engineers are better employed deploying some wire in front of our existing trenches. Particularly the artillery might be in danger of getting overrun at night, so let's give it some protection.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

If Tevery calls in a reserve brigade, and agrees, I allow you to stay put (refer to this post in your orders then). If not, follow what has been posted so far.

Right now, however, that isn't planned, so it seems unlikely.

If you want me to call one in, I'll call it in.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

steinrokkan posted:

I would be in favor of it, but I wouldn't like to cause our rating to go down if everybody else disagrees.

Well, if anyone disagrees, speak up now, otherwise we will request another infantry brigade to be attached to the 19th Division.

The Sandman posted:

HEY GAIL posted:

Saros posted:

Please post orders

Will these orders mean your MGs will not move while they can still engage? Because I am somewhat iffy on having them run around right now.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

HEY GAIL posted:

77th Bde Orders

Vacate your trenches and get onto the Saint Croissant road in marching order heading south/southwest as fast as possible.
Leave the road before you get to the town and continue overland, bearing south. Try to avoid Bois de Goonville and the farm Fraise-Champs. Our aim is speed.
Form up into battle order once you get level with the farm.
Continue until you meet up with the 78th. Reinforce them against an attack from the south.

Same battle order as before: infantry in front, machine guns in back, big guns behind that.

(front = top of picture)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, halt and fire on them.
When attacking the enemy, use rifle fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, hold position
Break off automatically upon receiving 1/2 casualties.
If flanked, refuse the line and fire at the people firing on you.

Stay out of the valley between the ridges, it's under enemy artillery fire. You'll be better off just going straight onto Dej.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

The Sandman posted:

So, another thought: even if I just fall back to the trenches Hegel's leaving, I should probably wait until nightfall or at least until hill spotting goes away to do so, because that way the French can't be sure that I've actually left Baguette.

And I'll probably want to leave one company in Baguette anyway to serve as a picket.

Come to think of it, picket duty is probably what Saros should do with his brigade at this point; send each of his infantry companies out to a likely line of approach, with an MG attached to each, to warn us if the French are coming and force them to open fire (thus exposing themselves for our artillery).

Might even be worth it to call in an artillery brigade rather than an infantry one and then use my guys as pickets too.

Smart move, I approve. We only have less than an hour until deadline, though, and hill spotting disappears in 3 turns. We shouldn't wait until complete darkness - too much of a chance you get lost on the march or something.

• Locked thread