Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Signing up for a brigade!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We have a lot more people signed up for brigade command positions than we have brigades. Does anyone know these rules well and want to take up the corps command? That may be ideal.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

There is an argument that corps command is the level that requires the least knowledge of the rules, since you're not physically moving chits around; it's the brigade commanders who have to worry about exact firing and sighting ranges and suchlike.

That's a good point, a basic knowledge of tactics and the ability to post here and chat in the roll20 regularly is probably enough to be good at corps command.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I can help out with corps command. I can't make maps or anything like that until I get home from work around 3pm EST but I should be able to post and such pretty regularly.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've made a very basic roster spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've added a column to the roster for us to link orders posts. Hopefully that is an easy way to track auto-response stuff.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 11, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I like this; however, I suspect that the most likely enemy ambition is indeed to control OBJG given it's evident value as a crossroads and that they may maneuver more aggressively than the plan predicts. Obviously the plan accounts for this to some degree, but I think we ought to expect it. In any case our reconnaissance will have to determine the enemy's deployment. My gut feeling is to be particularly concerned about a more eastward initial disposition of enemy forces and thus the danger of note C, in conjunction with the likelihood of a forward thrust in an attempt to seize the town. I look forward to our victory regardless!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've updated the roster with attachments and links to a few of the orders posts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1INxQ8FIG2UdpFbkeeluhARW_6p7jluTnTxDaG4httAc/edit?usp=sharing

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

FYI, I am a big fan of paint.net for LP arrowing needs.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Crazycryodude posted:

76th Brigade orders rough draft:

1. Enter the area with the rest of the division, proceed in marching order along the road to Bouclecourt
2. From Bouclecourt, proceed in marching order along the road south towards St. Croissant. If fired upon, deploy into battle formation and return fire.
3. At the little wibbly bit in the road about 6 inches from St. Croissant (wording may need work), deploy from marching order into battle formation and proceed overland across the railroad to the area between St. Croissant and Boi de Gooneville.
4. Once in the area west of the town, deploy the brigade into defensive stance as follows:
- Machine guns along the road
- Infantry in front of the machine guns, front row arranged to allow all units a field of fire
- Field guns deployed in the forest, no more than 1 inch within the treeline, but far enough back that they can fire over the infantry/MG's on the road
- Mortars deployed 2 inches behind the main line, allowing them to fire over
- Brigade HQ directly behind the mortars, within 8 inches of all units

(Green dots are 76th Brigade units, HEGEL's are the unmarked ones off to my left, that infantry company one of mine is overlapping is a relic from whenever ago that's stuck on the map and I can't remove)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties

Preferred battle formation is two staggered rows of infantry, followed by MG's, and a 2 inch gap between the artillery with the mortar in the center and 2 FK's on each side. Brigade HQ behind the mortar, within 8 inches of all units.

Questions, comments, concerns?

This is a great orders post and my favorite thing about it is that everything is in one link for me to keep up-to-date in the spreadsheet! Each commander should try to doublecheck that I'm getting things right in there and feel free to update anything that is wrong or out of date, though I think I'm keeping up. At present we only have complete orders including arrows from a couple people and the rest are preliminary/placeholder posts.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

HEY GAIL: is the infantry on the road set back from your line the Trench Mortar unit? It isn't marked on your formation diagram.
Tias: we need a formation diagram from you.
Covski: we need a formation diagram from you.
Nasty Toes: Nevermind, I see the trench mortar. Oops!

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 16, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Covski posted:

Is there a way to access the templates without access to Photoshop that I've missed, or any other easy way to whip up a pretty diagram easily?

If you have Windows, paint.net is very easy to use. Should be able to download the maps in the thread and create a new layer for each unit icon so you can move it around on top of the map with minimal familiarity with the program.

If you aren't on Windows someone else will have to suggest a good program. Gimp, maybe?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

Official Historian's Survey: Turn 0

In among the vast amount of paperwork for a general officer to deal with on the eve of battle, you find a note from the Official Historian, urging you to set out your honest and unrestrained views now for posterity and the benefit of future officers and servants of the Empire. He asks that you answer all, some, or fewer of the following questions, and assures you that they will be kept most secret until the end of the war.

1. How do you feel the planning for this battle has gone, in general?

2. How confident are you in the plans and orders that you personally have laid for this battle?

3. How confident are you in fulfilling the various objectives set by the Army Commander?

4. Is there any one aspect of the battle that seems to you will be most critical, on which success or failure is most likely to turn?

5. Thinking optimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

6. Thinking pessimistically, what do you think the likely result of the battle will be?

Post ITT. Keep the observer thread supplied with content.

edit: on the other side of the hill, one general replied with a deeply heartfelt letter to his beloved on the eve of battle, which still managed to hit all these points; another responded entirely in the medium of SNL Sean Spicer gifs. Just saying, la.

1: The French are capable fighters but we will seize the initiative and gain victory through aggression.

2: I have carefully managed the lines of communication between our commanders and we are in good order!

3: The speed and overwhelming strength of our assault on St Croissant should ensure victory there;

however, we may meet an entrenched at our further objectives.

4: I am confident of seizing the crossroads, but we must protect against being out-flanked!

5: In the best outcome we shock the enemy with our initial attack and carry our momentum through the later objectives before they can recover, leaving France open to our armies to run free.

6: In the worst case, we meet a prepared enemy at the crossroads and are forced to dig in and merely hold ground, achieving none of our objectives.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This looks certain to be a war of maneuver where enemies respond to one another and the most agile will be victorious. I suggest we compose a memo to high command to invest all resources in mobile units!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

I have no idea what is going on.

Its #4

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Koolkevz666, Taishi Ci, Ghetto Prince: You are in line for promotion to a command position and there is 1 brigade awaiting command in the 43rd Division. First to report to the Generalleutnant aphid_licker's command post will be assigned!

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 18, 2017

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We have improved our marching techniques with the latest developments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsgoSh5dpyg

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

It is usually not allowed to transfer assets once attached, but I may be persuaded otherwise in the interest of player experience; this would be subject to dice rolls, plural.

What is the current command structure of the reinforcement brigades? Are they in a separate division or directly under the Korps command? We don't necessarily need to change it but I think it was assumed new brigades would need to be attached to someone.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jaguars! posted:

They are under the 43rd because Tevery thought that the 19th HQ would be gone by the time they arrived.

I read that as Trin saying that they shouldn't have been, but now I see what he was saying.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I've been distracted by an unprecedented string of 70 degree days. Here, let me review our order of...

Well. No nation could sustain a long war with such losses; surely this conflict will end in short order. Our Teutonic Discipline will rule the day as we endure the sacrifice of our men while the French whither beneath our... remaining heavy weapons.

I'll review the spreadsheet and bring it up to date shortly.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Tevery Best posted:

Homework assignment: every commander picks out a youtube clip that best describes their current situation and intent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWVFEVWJMz8

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm continuing to quietly link all orders posts but commanders should double-check in case Major Wedeln gets some wires crossed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

By my accounting, we only need a commander and orders for the reinforcement artillery brigade.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j71UEQlYH6w

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I just got home from cleaning a cooling tower in 38F weather (fun!), so I'm not sure what condition the spreadsheet is in! Oops!

I have requested that Feldwebel Holenspieler be released from cleaning duties to assist me in this matter in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going to stick mit der Kaiser. dem Kaiser? High school was a while ago... Anyway, here.

I started dabbling with something that might keep me busy, so stash me as a staff officer for now and if I end up with enough free time I'll jump in if the chance presents itself.

• Locked thread