Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Brigade me up. Also, anybody got a link to the Roll20 room that apparently exists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Requesting command of the 76th Brigade

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

koolkevz666 posted:

I'm calling bullshit on depriving people like myself from gaining brigade command when some of us were the first to post in this thread asking for a command from when the thread opened. I know some may call this selfish but I did put in the request early exactly so I could get a place. So yeah I am annoyed about not getting a command,

Want mine? I'm not incredibly attached to it, I'll tolerate becoming an observer if you really want in.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 10, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I still don't think we're accounting enough for the possibility that the frogs are gonna enter the map from the south-east instead of the south-west. I'll admit my checking up on the Roll20 has been spotty at best, but it doesn't look like we have much of a contingency for if that happens. I get that the worst case is them spawning right on top of our objective in the SW and it makes sense to plan for the worst case, but we're taking it as almost a given that that's what's going to happen. I'm worried that they're gonna come out of nowhere and just rip our flank to shreds because our plan for them spawning on the same side as us is basically "meh, it's probably not gonna happen so don't worry too much".

(Also, I don't know if metagaming is allowed, but I've GM'd games for years and if there's one thing GM's love it's loving with their players - and if I were running this I'd have both teams start on the same side and give them an objective on the opposite corner, then cackle to myself as both teams plan around the enemy starting opposite them. A few turns later is about when I'd start cackling aloud as their screens bump into each other on the flanks and they all suddenly freak out).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Maybe I missed it, but how does hill spotting interact with cover? If an enemy is on level 1 of a hill 20 inches away from one of mine in cover, can they see me? Normally you'd only see me from 4 inches away, but does the 32 inch vision range from being on a hill override that?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Rate and/or ruthlessly mock my battle formation.

E: Revised, yellow circle is 8 inches from HQ, green circles are 2 inches from arty.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 14, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ok getting ready to write my orders up. Question, though - currently my plan is to move them into the area between Gooneville and the woods there, then dig in and wait for further orders in accordance with Phase 1 of the plan. Should I make it so that, on the astronomical chance they don't see any major concentrations of baddies by the time they're there, they keep going and try for Phase 2 (taking Breakfast Ridge) immediately?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

76th Brigade orders rough draft:

1. Enter the area with the rest of the division, proceed in marching order along the road to Bouclecourt
2. From Bouclecourt, proceed in marching order along the road south towards St. Croissant. If fired upon, deploy into battle formation and return fire.
3. At the little wibbly bit in the road about 6 inches from St. Croissant (wording may need work), deploy from marching order into battle formation and proceed overland across the railroad to the area between St. Croissant and Boi de Gooneville.
4. Once in the area west of the town, deploy the brigade into defensive stance as follows:
- Machine guns along the road
- Infantry in front of the machine guns, front row arranged to allow all units a field of fire
- Field guns deployed in the forest, no more than 1 inch within the treeline, but far enough back that they can fire over the infantry/MG's on the road
- Mortars deployed 2 inches behind the main line, allowing them to fire over
- Brigade HQ directly behind the mortars, within 8 inches of all units

(Green dots are 76th Brigade units, HEGEL's are the unmarked ones off to my left, that infantry company one of mine is overlapping is a relic from whenever ago that's stuck on the map and I can't remove)

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Break off automatically at 2/3 casualties

Preferred battle formation is two staggered rows of infantry, followed by MG's, and a 2 inch gap between the artillery with the mortar in the center and 2 FK's on each side. Brigade HQ behind the mortar, within 8 inches of all units.

Questions, comments, concerns?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 14, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Am I supposed to be assisting with the assault on the town if there's baddies in there? If not I'll leave my orders as they are with minor edits, if I am I can add a conditional in no problem.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Alright, I'll stick with what I've got then.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hey aphid what are our engineers up to currently? I was doing some playing around with the map and the TL;DR is that now I'm afraid of a phantom brigade of Frogs hiding in Strawberry Fields just waiting to charge me/HEGEL when we're not looking. Can we get some barbed wire between the farm and us?

E: Also, now that I'm in full paranoia mode I'm worried about them coming from both the SE corner and the center of the southern edge and putting guns all over Breakfast to tear me a new one. Not much to be done about that, though. I worry way too much about imaginary pixelmen.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 14, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Found the cavalry I was worried about. I bet they can fit thousands of these bastards in that farm.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Literally as I was typing up a question about whether I should leave my standing order as bayonet charge or switch to rifle fire.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

1. In the finest Teutonic tradition, this battle has been planned and wargamed so thoroughly it's almost a fault. Assuming things go (roughly) the way we expect, we should have a compact and dug in formation around St. Croissant that should be essentially impossible to dislodge unless the French outnumber us to an incredible degree, and be well prepared to launch an assault on our main objective. The problem is in the lack of flexibility and undue faith in underlying assumptions. Namely, I still don't feel we've adequately prepared for the possibility that the French will enter from the southeastern edge of the map instead of the center. While there are technically contingency plans if that turns out to be the case, they amount to little more than "we'll just turn around and deal with them" and it seems that most of my fellows don't take the possibility as seriously as they should. I'm somewhat reassured by the fact that our formations are compact and easy to maneuver, and that if the French do come from the SE we should know relatively quickly and be able to adjust accordingly, but our current plans are rigidly focused on a meeting engagement fought mainly over St. Croissant against an enemy approaching from opposite us.

2. Personally, I believe my brigade level plans are more than up to the task of accomplishing my orders of securing a line west of St. Croissant. While I'm somewhat worried about not being aggressive enough, it's far better to take a more cautious approach than to display undue "élan." The proximity of my main line to the farms that may conceal enemies lying in ambush is also of concern, but no matter where the French enter the map from they likely wouldn't be able to get more than some cavalry into there without being spotted so at least I don't have to be paranoid about an entire infantry brigade waiting with fixed bayonets to charge my flank.

3. Taking St. Croissant should be easily accomplished no matter where the French come from, at the very least. As to Objective Q, if the French enter from the center taking the town may require basically completely destroying them - no mean feat, though of course I never doubt for a second that we could accomplish it with proper planning and preparation. If the French enter from the SE, then matters become more complex. Taking Objective Q is much easier, as the French would have far less time to garrison and dig in around the town. It does, however, put us in danger of having our eastern flank turned, and in the worst case scenario, being cut off from headquarters and even surrounded and routed or destroyed.

4. Initial contact with the French. If the enter from the center this will most likely occur in and around St. Croissants, resulting in a grand battle, the winner of which will likely hold the strategic initiative for the rest of the battle. If the French enter from the SE, initial contact will most likely be a large portion of their force engaging our eastern flank. If this is the case, we will have to act quickly, decisively, and cool-headedly to prevent the flank collapsing and the potential disasters that implies. No matter what, the initial battles and disposition may well decide who carries the day.

5. Optimistically, we can secure St. Croissant with little or even no fighting, effectively contain the French to a portion (maybe 1/3 or even 1/4) of the map, and proceed to march on Objective Q or dismantle enemy forces at our leisure. Severely degrading the French forces while maintaining the majority of our own strength, in addition to securing our strategic objectives is the most optimistic outcome of this battle.

6. Pessimistically, we are defeated without managing to hold a single objective, and possibly even routed or destroyed. A disastrous meeting engagement over St. Croissant my well force us to pull back towards our starting area and dig in, effectively containing us into a corner of the map while the French go about accomplishing whatever objectives they may have. Alternatively, the French come from the SE and break through our flank, cutting off the units in St. Croissant and rolling up the line. While that's the worst case scenario, a more realistic one would perhaps be spotting the French in the SE and overreacting - while we may not be utterly annihilated, becoming panicked by an unexpected advance. Diverting too many resources away from St. Croissant and our original plan may pull us out of position and again lead to us not being able to hold any objectives, or at best holding St. Croissant but at a positional disadvantage and without enough strength to push onwards.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Turn 3 taking an AWFUL long time to adjudicate makes me thing shooting has started...

(unless you've stopped updating us on which turn you're on)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

loving. TOLD. YOU. SO.

*Ahem*

Ok, now that that's taken care of, things are looking basically good. That traffic jam is playing hell with them, hopefully we'll be able to take the town first. Interestingly, it looks like the French brigades have only 1 MG unit, combined with their apparent lack of heavy artillery (just 75's and not many at that) we've got a distinct advantage in firepower - let's try and capitalize on that. If I had to guess, they make up for that particular deficiency with mobility and possibly numbers. We don't have a full count, but judging from what we can already see, the French definitely have more cavalry than us (an entire dedicated brigade at least), and might outnumber us somewhat.

The TL;DR is we need to make drat sure our flank doesn't collapse from unexpectedly running into their entire force. The town's basically on lock and we could probably even advance some more, so as long as the flank holds the French are effectively bottled up into a quarter of the map and we've got the game in the bag.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The problem is we can't change our orders for another turn or two, so everyone'll keep following their pre-battle orders up until ~Turn 6 probably, which puts us mostly in/west of Croissant for the 43rd and in Baguette for the 19th. Now, if aphid can get orders to us quickly the 43rd can basically just keep marching straight for Quatrepouts to 1) secure our second objective and 2) contain the French in their corner. This is exactly the kind of situation I wanted to include a "just keep going for Q" conditional for, but no it's all "dig in and wait for further orders" :colbert:

Yes I know it's almost pure luck I called this ahead of time but it's not gonna stop me from being a vindictive bastard and lording it over my superiors for the entire rest of the game

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:f5:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well poo poo.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm not sure I'm reading it right because I have zero experience with this game, but we seem kinda hosed

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

For people who aren't in the Roll20, we apparently can't break the habit of doing all our talking in there instead of ITT.

The TL;DR is that we've figured out the French deployed in battle order right out the gate and now our flank is utterly hosed. We're all running around with our hair on fire and glaring sullenly at Trin.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That honestly sounds like our best shot. Call in the reinforcements, hold the French roughly where they are, win the game on a technicality.

E: The more I look at it the more a few hundred dudes with bikes technically accomplishing the objective start to look like our only hope.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

My take on the situation is that the 19th is basically a write off at this point, we can probably salvage some but that flank is not holding in any reasonable universe. The battle as a whole can still be won, though. Absolutely critical is getting a brigade or two from the 43rd to set up a defensive line, dig in, unlimber the guns, let the French march into the meatgrinder. Croissant is relatively safe right now, it's time to switch to the defensive and pin the French down while the Jaegers head to Q and hopefully win that way.

This is the really important bit - if we try to attack, we lose the game. Simple as that. We've got one objective, another is completely undefended, the majority of the enemy are tied down in a quarter of the map, and we're about to lose an entire division. This is the time for a desperate defense, not countercharging into their guns.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

HEGEL and I (77th and 76th) are both within 30 inches of HQ and on a road, does that mean the orders get to us this turn and we can act immediately? That would be a godsend.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So, 1 or 2? I assume asking for only one gives us more arbitrary Victory Points or whatever, but I'm pretty sure we need more guns on the line, and now.

Assuming 2, just 2 infantry brigades coming from the NE corner? I can see the devious potential of a cavalry brigade entering from the NW and running down to Q for the win if we think we can hold the line long enough.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I know I advised against counterattacking, but the second option seems like the right balance to me. My money is on the French seeing our flank collapse and rushing to take advantage of it - if I were on their side I'd be charging as many brigades as I could up the side to try and collapse us entirely. As long as HEGEL and I can get set up in our defensive lines, another infantry brigade appearing by Nainville would catch any French thrust in a nasty crossfire.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh my god what a mess. Their gun line is almost completely unprotected now, though, can we get anything on them?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Saros posted:

Seriously what the? My fresh bde decided to, first stop too early for the mg's to be able to see, then walk forward despite orders to not advance past the forest?

[E] most importantly it seems to have not killed anybody?

Orders being misinterpreted/ignored/lost seems to be a recurring theme by now. Not that it's historically inaccurate.

Anyways, the only way we win is getting something down to St. Croissant, so it's basically got to happen. Whenever we've got a spare runner tell the Jaegers to start pedaling leisurely in that direction while we keep the frogs busy in the east, I guess.

E: HEGEL we each only have 3 regular MG's, the diagram you're using has 4 horse MG's.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 19, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A B C

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

My brigade (76th) is the one that just entered battle order on the road north of Croissant. In the Roll20 it's got green dots on my guns and what looks like an icon for a machinegun on the rest of my dudes. The green dotted units deployed west of the town are not mine.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think Quarterpoodle is still our best shot right now, as long as we hug the edge of the map and hide behind the forest when crossing the ridge we can probably remain unseen the whole way there.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

This battle hasn't generated nearly enough terrible art.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Needs more nihilism. God is dead, and we killed Him.

E: I guess that stuff is more for once the trenches set in rather than now

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ikasuhito posted:

Has everyone on our side got a chance to lead? I wouldnt want to screw anyone over.

The opportunity's been on the table for the better part of a week now, I think people have had a fair amount of time to grab it if they want it.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Suddenly I understand better than ever why they all thought the war would be over in a few months. These losses are atrocious.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Doubleposting because Trin yelled at me to post ITT: We can probably tidy up the east, then just dig in and wait for them to come to us if we want to play it safe. We've got Croissant solidly in hand, and while charging of for Q-town gets us the win if we can hold it, it also possibly over-extends us. If we go for Q I'm sure the French will figure out it's our objective if they haven't already, and they can probably just call in a whole bunch of fresh reinforcements right on top of the town to take it back or prevent us from getting it in the first place. Honestly, I think digging in roughly where we're at is the best course of action. Maybe shift the line west some to shorten it up north and better protect any route they'd take to the top left (which I'm pretty sure is their objective).

TL;DR they beat us to Dejeuner, so taking Q seems off the table. Move the guys up north back out of their gun range, shorten up the line, and start digging.

Thoughts?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 22, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We MIGHT be able to take Breakfast. I'm basically sure the brigade that disappeared is either on the reverse slope or around Graisse, so we'd have to fight them for it, but it's certainly doable. The downside is that it stretches us really thin and possibly leaves a hole in our line between the ridge and Croissant. And again, I'm worried about a few reinforcement brigades materializing around Q and whatever we have in the area (probably just me) not being able to deal with them.

E: I also think we should take this opportunity to disengage in the east and pull back from the Baguette-Nainville line to a line anchored on Croissant.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 22, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If you think you can hold the town without perestroika and I on the flank, I'm much more confident in our ability to at least take Breakfast, if not the objective below. The two of us should be able to overpower the cav and infantry brigade there, especially since that inf brigade looked like literally just infantry and 1 MG with no heavy guns. If we can get on top of the ridge and dig in, or even just get our FK's set up nice, we can pretty effectively control that area of the map.

E: I still don't particularly like it, though. I'd rather shorten our line, hunker down, and force them to attack us - we hold Croissant, either the clock runs out and we win because at least we've got the minor objective, or they attack us before time's up and have to march into our dug in MG's and artillery. If we see their reinforcements materialize somewhere else and taking Q looks viable again, we can reconsider, but while they're an unknown I don't want to risk it.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 22, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm 99.9% sure that their main objective is the town in the top left of the map, with their secondary objective being Croissant.Their setup definitely seems to point to an objective in the west, at least. I'm 100% sure that they've figured out we're going for Quatrepooffed and are arranging to counter that.

By now, they've probably called in their reinforcements, and we can expect a brigade or two to be appearing in Q to back up the one already there soon. Depending on how big the zone they can deploy from is, we might even have to watch for brigades coming from Baguende or Haltebruit. I'm afraid that we just don't have the numbers for the offensive, and should settle in and make them come to us - especially with our superior firepower. We do have to watch and make sure they don't sneak anyone into their objective, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

76th Brigade Orders

Switch the brigade out of defensive stance and begin limbering the FK's. Once the guns are limbered and ready to move, begin the assault on Breakfast Ridge. The FK's are to proceed to the positions depicted, within 18 inches of La Oeuf, and set up to fire. The rest of the brigade should continue advancing. The MG's and mortars should advance to the first level of the ridge, within 12 inches of La Oeuf, and prepare to fire. The mortars should be 2 inches from other chits to allow it a free field of fire. If enemies appear within range of the MG's/mortars before reaching the depicted positions, they should stop and fire on the new enemies instead of moving on. Infantry should continually advance on La Oeuf, using rifle fire until close enough to bayonet charge the cavalry on the hill.

Once the hill is cleared of cavalry, the infantry, MG's, and mortars should turn to face any other forces that may have appeared in the meantime, prioritizing enemies on the eastern part of the ridge.

If 4+ enemy artillery chits (EXCLUDING ARSE HORTILLERY) are spotted unlimbered and ready to fire on the ridge, break off.
If 18+ enemy infantry companies are spotted on the ridge, break off.

E: Don't limber up the mortars, manhandle them forwards, so they can fire without having to unlimber again.
E2: The FK's should only be moving for 1 turn. If they can't get quite to what I drew, oh well. I want them unlimbering on the 3rd turn of the impulse and firing on the 4th no matter what.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, launch a bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue (changed)
Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 23, 2017

• Locked thread