Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Tevery Best posted:

Homework assignment: every commander picks out a youtube clip that best describes their current situation and intent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3-Gt7mgyM

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh my. Dejeuner is going to be fun.

E: I notice you forgot to make any particular mention of the ENTIRE BRIGADE THAT HAS JUST APPEARED ON THE WEST EDGE OF THE MAP

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

We need to talk about our horrible haphazard arse-over-teakettle charging problem

A B C :colbert:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Seeing as things have gone well, I am officially taking all the credit for the attack on Dejeuner. If it goes wrong, everyone go back to blaming General Best.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So, what's the next step for Sandman and Friends in Baguette? Charging out seems like a good way to get wrecked, just wait there and threaten the French/hold the town?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think, as long as nothing changes too drastically, we can hold of on reinforcements until the next impulse. They'd presumably have to enter from our telephone zone and really, there's nothing they'd be able to do in time to make a difference. If the French take Faiblempot or start collapsing our eastern flank again, THEN we can call them in, but calling them now does nothing to help the only active part of the battle - Dejeuner.

I think we can safely assume that Q is empty or lightly defended - out of all the units that we've seen move in that direction over the course of the battle, they're pretty much all accounted for up on the ridge. There may be a company or two hiding in the woods, but nothing that can seriously contest the town. As such, we should be deploying in a way that stymies any advances from Clemenceau. Getting all the nice big guns up on Dejeuner, or between Q and Clemenceau somewhere, should be an absolute priority. I think the best way to properly hold Q is to have Perestroika set up with all his myriad guns set up on Dejeuner with clear shots on the route between Q and Clemenceau, while I proceed to the town proper and set up there. Maybe leave my FK's behind with the rest of the guns. The downside I see to this plan is that it leaves Perestroika's depleted brigade vulnerable to attack if the French want to focus on Dejeuner first. All that heavy artillery will no doubt massacre anyone attempting an assault once it's set up, but if they have the numbers to push through the storm, there's not much actual infantry left for Pere to hold them with.

As to the French intentions, I think we'll be forcing them to react. If they haven't figured out that Q is our objective, then they're even stupider than they look. They must know we're about to walk into Q, so they have one last window to make an attack before the win timer starts ticking. If I were them, I'd go for either scraping us off Dejeuner or trying to take St. Croissant. Either way, we should be ready for them to come boiling out of their Clemenceau trenches and head for one of the two. If they go for Dejeuner, there's not too much to be done beyond roll the dice and hope Perestroika and I deployed right. If they go for St. Croissant, things get interesting. Sandman could charge out of the west end of Baguette, through the woods, and right into the French flank/rear at just about the same time as they're getting in range of all Jaguars!'s guns. Something to keep in mind when writing orders, at least.

Last point, that French brigade that appeared in the west. It looks like it's stopped moving an deployed in defensive mode, which means it probably won't be moving any time soon. They're miles away from their divisional HQ and don't have an uninterrupted road link back, so rolling to change their orders will probably be atrocious.

E: Oh bugger, I just realized that I am also miles away from a divisional HQ and not within 5 inches of a road, and in combat to boot. poo poo, issuing a change of orders to go to Q is gonna suck.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 24, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

aphid_licker posted:

Can we send the French a runner telling them that we wanna call it a draw? And for gently caress's sake let our reservepixels chill in the rear echelon. This is seriously getting to me IRL.

If you ain't first, you're last. We're about to win this, as long as we can take Q and hold it for the timer.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think the French have pretty much given up on the eastern flank like we have, and are gonna be trying a final offensive on Dejenuner and/or Croissant. Saros heading over to St. Croissant to add a few more bodies to the defense certainly won't hurt, and I think that'll be more useful than digging fallback trenches we'll never use.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:siren:76th Brigade Orders:siren:

First priority is for infantry to finish thoroughly skewering the remainder of the French on our ridge, until they're either all dead or fleeing like the cowards they are. The MG's and mortars are to continue pounding away at the enemy until such a time as this has been accomplished. The FK's are to fire one more salvo on the first turn of the impulse, then check the following conditionals:
-If there is no active enemy artillery left on the ridge (active defined as alive, unsuppressed, and unrouted), begin limbering
-If there IS enemy artillery, fire a second salvo and begin limbering on the third turn instead

Once the enemy has been cleared from Dejeuner, the brigade will proceed to the following positions ASAP.

Remaining FK's are to form up on the level below the guns of the 78th, unlimber, and prepare to fire. The mortars should set up at the western edge of the gunline, and likewise prepare to fire (should be able to manhandle them up to there so there's no need to unlimber). Brigade command is to move into the center of the town, surrounded by the remainder of the brigade's infantry and MG's. Infantry should deploy in an arrow formation through the outskirts of Quatreprouts, affording the MG's in the town line of sight and the Billy Bonus, while remaining in cover themselves. Extra infantry should deploy in the west side of the town to guard against an attack from the SW/act as a reserve, but priority is given to defending the eastern approach.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy, bayonet charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, do not pursue
Break off automatically never - fight to the last man

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I knew I could smell those disgusting Woodbines they seem so attached to. Now, where exactly is it wafting from?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

It seems the BEF has intercepted our message
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9aKD-G_3zQ

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'll admit that it's a very bad meme. I just googled "We Are Number One but it's World War I" and hit I'm feeling lucky.

You're right, of course. Only the highest quality of memes are allowed, and I defer to your judgement.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm hoping they wander into range of our artillery deathstar on Dejeuner once it's set up and get ignominiously vaporized over a few turns.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Good lord, gently caress me. My heart was pounding when I thought my big gun support was about to rout. Now, to hope that BEF brigade marching towards Q can be held off.

E: Pulling some of our troops off of the eastern flank might be a good idea, it looks like the French have pretty much given up over there.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So I was just frantically measuring distances and trying to work out if the artillery is gonna start firing on the British before or after I am thoroughly poked full of holes, and I noticed something. Namely, once my guys were off the ridge, they never came within 12 inches of a French unit. In other words, they hopefully haven't actually spotted me taking the town, nor the runner I dispatched. Really, REALLY hoping that's the case, and I can just silently chill until they walk into my MG's or just leave me alone.

E: W/R/T what do we do now, SEND EVERYTHING TO DEJEUNER OH MY GOD I AM PANICKING SO HARD ABOUT BEING OVERRUN

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Well, I'm pretty much set, but I do have one minor change of orders to make if the dice favor me.

:siren:76th Brigade Orders:siren:
Once the brigade is arranged as previously ordered-
IF THE BEF TURNS AND MARCHES ON DEJEUNER RIDGE: Fire at will
IF THE BEF BRIGADE CONTINUES ON TOWARDS QUATREPROUTS: All units waiting in ambush, do not fire on the enemy until they close within 8 inches of the town, and are in rifle range of 3+ infantry companies

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 27, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I think it's gonna be about 6 turns before the runner reaches Croissant. Once he's there, as long as we still have a phone line, the win timer should start the same turn. Probably a long timer, though. Err on the side of caution and assume we have to hold the town until the next morning, because I doubt the cavalry's gonna come over the hill at 2 AM. It would be nice if they did, but we should plan as if they won't.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shoving everything down my way so we can hold the ridge long enough/retake the town if I get pried out is what the remainder of the battle should look like. Re: including a conditional to shoot their flank up if they advance on the ridge instead of the town, I'm pretty sure they don't actually know I'm here, and if I don't have to give away my position, I'd rather not. In fact, I'm considering changing my orders to only fire if spotted. Ideally, even if the ridge is completely overrun and we get pushed off and they start rolling up the line, I'm still quietly sitting unspotted in Q so we can win.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ooo, I rather like this little shuffle. They see HEGEL vacating the trenches, then they DON'T see them getting refilled. I hope they try an attack so we can read all the wonderful confusion once this is over.

E: My orders are finalized, but through editing the old post. Is that ok or should I make a new one?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 27, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Can I play as Major Wedeln next time around?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Have we had the spotter plane go back up and toss a few thousand copies of our latest work of art over the side yet?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

gently caress

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'm sure the observer thread is going to LOVE all our salt.

Honestly, my morale is pretty much gone at this point. There's no way we survive long enough to win or even call it a draw, we only need to lose a few more companies to trigger the auto-loss. Should we just call it and get on with the next scenario?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Sure, we COULD pull of some Magic Dice Roll Bullshit lining up perfectly with a bit of bad planning on their part, but let's be real - I'm a few turns away from being pried out of Q by British steel, and my glorious death will push us over the auto-loss limit, game over.

E: Isn't our limit 160 dead companies? That's what all my pessimism is based on.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I'll stick around and see how it all pans out, but my prediction is the BEF wheels around, knifes me to death, and game over.

I have yet to predict a single major development wrong this match.

(Again this is all based on the idea that our loss limit is 160, if I'm misremembering and it's higher we can TOTALLY hold at least Croissant long enough for the cavalry to come over the hill and we win because at least we've got the minor objective.)

E: Honestly, let me sleep it off and I'm sure I'll be way more optimistic in the morning. Right now I'm ruminating and composing my death poem.
Hopefully the BEF gets lost at night and accidentally knifes their way through a bunch of French while we machine gun anybody who strays into range and the day dawns on a glorious German victory.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Question: Does Quarterpoodle have electricity? If so, and if I'm remembering high school chem correctly, I should be able to dissolve all the salt I'm generating in water and electrolyze it into hypochlorous acid as an improvised chemical weapon.

You know, sitting down and staring at the periodic table on my wall, if I can find some proper hydrochloric acid (say, from the local apothecary or the stomachs of some farm animals if I'm really desperate) I could react it with the HClO to get pure chlorine gas. Can I make a gas attack a year early?

E: I've been doing some math and I could plausibly make roughly a metric fuckton of chlorine in a few hours as long as I can find the reagents. Can I at least use it as a Samson Option and send a message to the Entente saying "you charge this town, I make sure everyone dies with me"?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shamelessly stealing the theme for the past turn from Flesnolk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75zmIj_4LFQ

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yep, Stein's right. We got outplayed, simple as that. And, really, even if Trin was scheming and rigging it against us (which, again, he's not), you don't go and SAY that unless you've got absolute proof and the game just isn't fun anymore - never piss off the GM. However, it's not COMPLETELY over, we just have to hold out until probably mid-morning, which as long as we're on the defensive we can totally do. They're scattered all across the map, now, and the bulk of their forces (the BEF) is probably about to turn on me instead of Croissant. Dig in, weather the storm, maybe we salvage a win. If not, at least the French bleed for every inch.

Also, I'm still (semi)serious about desperately cooking up some chlorine as a last ditch war crime "force multiplier."

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

No, I've worked through my initial backlog of salt and defeatism, and I'm no longer in a state of mind to accept that. We aren't surrendering, not now and not ever. We dig in, make them come to us, and bleed them for every inch. If we're even moderately lucky we can hold at least Croissant until the morning, at which point Moltke rides triumphantly over the hill to pull us out of the fire. If we get REALLY lucky on rolls and/or Trin lets me cook up some warcrimes (still serious about that btw) we might even hold Q.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Do we really think we can pull off an attack? I'm very wary of spending what little forces we've got smashing against the blob on Dejeuner.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, I misread. I thought we were going right now but looking back literally the first line you wrote was "HEY GAIL stops immediately, right there, right now." Ignore me, I apparently can't read.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh well, no improvised warcriming. More seriously, I think our best bet is an artillery brigade. Also, where are our engineers at? Anywhere that could use trenches or barbed wire?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Trying to charge an entrenched enemy gunline, even under cover of night, is absolutely pants-on-head retarded with how few units we have left. We dig in, hold what we still have, and pray we last long enough to run down the timer.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

By the time anything can conceivably get to me I'm either standing triumphantly atop a mountain of British corpses built on miraculous dice rolls, or buried under a slightly smaller mountain that I made sure to take down with me. My personal course of action would be to call in an artillery brigade and dig in around Croissant. The timer's gonna start in 2 turns when the runner gets to HQ, and when it runs out we almost definitely won't have Q anymore but we can totally manage a hold on Croissant for the minor objective at least.

E: More specifically, I'd be wary of nighttime attacks on both the west in HEGEL's territory and Baguette if they're feeling frisky, to try and set up for a more organized attack once day breaks again.

Trin, is there any downside to marching the men around all night/upside to letting them catch some downtime?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 28, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Wait, did I word something wrong? I mean to advocate we dig in around Croissant and hope to survive long enough that Moltke rides to the rescue. I've basically given my own guys up as lost - we'll sit here in Q and do our best to hold it, but the BEF is probably going to pry us out with their bayonets.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, that's about what I'm thinking. No ill-advised attacks on entrenched enemy guns or heroic but ultimately doomed attempts to retake Dejeuner/reinforce me. Turtle up and wait it out.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Our victory timer doesn't go away if we lose Q. Moltke will be rather miffed when he shows up and finds it's no longer ours, but he still shows up. As long as we can keep a hold of Croissant, we'll still win because at least we got the minor objective.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah lets save the post-mortems for when it's actually over. I'm sure the observer thread has been relentlessly picking apart both us and the French this entire time, anyways.

:siren:76bde Orders:siren:
Make them pay for it.

"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Does targeting order makes us shoot at HQ units last no matter what, even if they're a crazy cavalry brigadier charging me after getting hyped on personally spiking half our guns? I get that normally it makes sense to kill everything else first but I think an exception can be made for that wannabe Savior of the Republic up on Dejeuner.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 2, 2017

• Locked thread