Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'll volunteer for a Brigade Commander, don't want too high of a responsibility. Do we get to pick our Brigade? If so 14th for me please.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm calling bullshit on depriving people like myself from gaining brigade command when some of us were the first to post in this thread asking for a command from when the thread opened. I know some may call this selfish but I did put in the request early exactly so I could get a place. So yeah I am annoyed about not getting a command,

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Crazycryodude posted:

Want mine? I'm not incredibly attached to it, I'll tolerate becoming an observer if you really want in.

No, i've gone and cooled my head a bit and it would feel kind of poo poo to take it from you even if you aren't that attached to it. I'll see what advice I can give to the commander to help out.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Also we or specifically the company commander needs to decided when and where we want our spotter plane to appear. Need to decide this and order before the battle begins.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Got to say splitting up your forces seems to be about ready to hand any small victory you might get to the enemy. The Entente know where our forces are and any attempt to move out is likely going to have the advancing forces discovered and cut to pieces by the vastly larger number of Entente forces.

My advice would be to dig in and make them come to you, cut down their forward units as quickly as you can and just try and tough out their artillery. Make them bleed for their victory.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
We need to put our units in the outskirts of the towns. Being in the outskirts means our forces won't be seen until they get within 4 inches wile we would have full vision to them out in the open. This should mean we would see them and get to fire first even with the French having initiative. They won't spot us unless they are right on top of us and so won't have any targets to shoot whilst we will see them approaching and get to fire on them.

Of course once our units fire they will be visible but as far as I can tell with us going second in the turn if we wipe out the enemy and they are more than 4 inches away from us come the new turn they won't see us.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

Are you one of the guys reading only this thread? Do you want to have the unclaimed brigade?

I've avoided doing so mostly because I am already in two other LP's and only have the joys of MS paint for making maps. At this point my lack of experience with deisnging orders is making me refrain from taking command though if one is available and it won't cause too much bother I guess I could claim a brigade.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

Being in the outskirts gives your units cover, but means that your units are no longer hidden.

45th Reinforcement is available, I'll draw some pictures of it later when I'm not in my lunchbreak.

Where does it say units are no longer hidden? According to the second sentence in the rules for towns a unit in the outskirts still gets Cover. According to the spotting rules an infantry unit in Cover may only be spotted at 4 inches. However, anyone approaching will be in the open and be spotted at 12 inches away giving us a spotting bonus.

Also Sandman if we have our MG teams in the town but touching the rifle units in the outskirts we can measure their shooting range from the infantry which should help with putting out damage and killing the enemy.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

The Sandman posted:

It's night now, remember? Spotting is reduced to 4" under all circumstances, except when a unit opens fire (at which point it's visible out to 24"). At this point, we need our infantry far enough ahead of the MGs to spot for them while preventing the French from just continuing a successful charge against an infantry company into the MG company behind it that same turn.

The problem here is that if our infantry are far enough forward that the French can't continue a charge into the MGs then the MGs are likely to be too far away to spot the French forces themselves and thus the infantry will have to defend on their own and will likely be overwhelmed.

I think we need to decide on one of two choices. Either we go with A) Have the MGs in base contact with the infantry to add their fire or B) Have the MGs far enough away that they won't risk being charged but can't support the infantry.

steinrokkan posted:

Enemy can't charge at previously undetected targets. We need to deploy so we can suppress the poo poo out of as many guys as possible once they come into view and are forced to stop.

That rule gets dropped at night, the French could move right into the town and go straight for a charge against any units they encounter.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Sorry I missed the deadline, glad my forces only have to advance as ordered for now. This was my big worry with the deadline being today, it's been a busy day and I only just got back in the house now. I'll do better for next turn.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Nice, that was an impressive defense killing those cavalry and those infantry in the woods. The question is are we now visible for firing or was that only this turn and the Frenchies need to try and spot us again.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
45 Brigade Orders

Please re position infantry and machine guns as shown in the above picture. Artillery is to remain unlimbered and stationary, meanwhile all units that can should begin to entrench.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Well I give deserved props to cryo for being right about Quatreprouts though that seems to have been a failing of the French than a success on our part. I guess looking at those final positions they were expecting us to come out and attack them instead of them coming to us.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Arriving for duty, sir!! If at all possible I would like to request a Cavalry Brigade please. Thank you.

Also I know we haven't started talking map strats yet but one I was thinking about, though I have no evidence or proof, is that considering the number of forests scattered along the map the Entente may have small number of troops located inside them? As a sort of ambush and delay response while the BEF advance from the West so if these troops do exist they would likely be French.

I mean I have no proof of this but considering the trickery of the last battle it could be possible. Another point is maybe they won't all come from the direct west side of the map?

Just some thoughts.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 7, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Saros posted:

18th Cav Division HQ:

18th Cav needs you! Yes You! Currently I need a commander for a turn 1 Bde and a turn 20 Bde. There is going to be a lot of plotting and contingency planning especially for the first two bde's as we are taking stabs into the dark here.

Current plan is something like this. Red Bde secures Tallis and provides overwatch while the second charges towards stethoscope. After this we perform a cautious advance until contact is made. We prefer sending both bde over the southern bridge as it is much closer and allows us to keep our forces concentrated. Our dearest wish is to find a single Brit bde with both of ours and over-run it to give a substantive advantage early on.

Black boxes are pessimistic enemy entrance points, I would probably expect them to come from the north over the south but we are being careful with assumptions. Us moving on Stethoscope is really the most obvious opening move so we want to do it with caution.

We absolutely do not want to attempt to cross the fords in the north as the forest is right on top on them and without a lot of artillery backing us up to fire on anyone that reveals themselves we would get cut apart as we tried to cross single file.

I'll take the route into Stethoscope if you want Saros. It is probably the more high risk one and I don't mind taking the risk. If I encounter enemies inside of Stethoscope should I withdraw or attempt a cavalry charge?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Oh ok guess I'll take an infantry spot then.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Well if it is part of your "plan" I guess I'll go along with it and play foot slogger. Guess it will give me some experience for the next round as all I did last round was post orders to shuffle some chits.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I think it is a little unfair to force us to move through an unknown enemy defensive fortification with no choice in the matter. At the very least you should allow us some sort of contingency order where instead of outright avoiding the fortification we are instead allowed to have our Brigades halt on spotting them so that we can choose to either go through or to forge some other route.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Are you doing this to me on purpose? I finally got around to being okay with being infantry and starting to work out how to draw those cool formation diagrams from last round, current status: still no idea, and now I am being rushed to be cavalry. Well can't complain.

On a serious note though any help/hints of designing those cool formation images people used last game would be super helpful.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So being the forth Brigade I won't be turning up till turn 20 so I guess I don't need to put in orders quite yet.

Also Tevery I just saw my banner, I love it and thank you for giving me a good laugh on what has been a very annoying day.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Trin to clarify something, for cavalry to get the 16" move for being on the road the full brigade has to be on the road right, it can't say have one or two chits on the road, the rest spread out line abreast and still get the bonus. That correct?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

so, do we have anybody here who defended a town with cavalry against a cavalry charge in the last round? or at least any one or two of those things? i'd love to hear some experience

the MGs and AH are NOT going to move, that much is clear. i don't think i'm supposed to be ordering individual chits to do individual things. so that leaves the question - to charge, or not to charge?

oh also, to dismount or not to dismount? is dismounting gonna be a really awesome thing where suddenly our cav are pouring rifle fire down, or will it be a really awesome thing where our cav get sabered to death while they're stuck in their stirrups?

so, charging and, if not charging, dismounting. are those the two questions i have for my brigade?

oh yeah, and what the gently caress should i do after the encounter with this brigade that just popped into view, i guess that's the bigger question

If you dismount that costs you half you move so you go from 12" move to 6", your cav units then become infantry for all intents and purposes, if you want your inf to shoot they then can only move half again and while inf have a move of 8" I think realistically means they could only move 3" and shoot this turn. If that is enough to get them out of the town and into the outskirts then great, if not then it comes down to will they get charged on the first turn of movement. If yes, then its not good except to throw up meatshields to protect the MGs and artillery. if no then they can move another 4" the next turn and shoot the brit cavalry.

the big question in regards to charging is, will we be able to do the charging instead of being charged and will charging block our MGs and artillery from firing.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

do you think the cavalry should be dismounted? so it's just infantry defending a town? do we have time?

disclaimer, i'll follow the orders saros gives in the end, but i'm interested in this line of argument

If you dismount, then you can't cavalry charge but you will only be spotted at infantry range which is 4" unless you shoot. If you stay mounted then you can cavalry charge but you will be spotted at 8" unless you shoot. In any case any unit that shoots can be seen by anything up to 24" away.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
That charge against us in Steth, you said our machine guns whiffed but did the rifles cause any suppression and or kills or did our mass fire just do nothing at all?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Saros, my 4th Brigade should be arriving some when this round right? Where do you want me to come on from and what are my orders?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
One concern I have with the engineers' movement is that it could be possible that the remaining southern ACs have not withdrawn to the British side of the river and we could possibly be sending in ur engineers into contact with them. Would it not be better to have the combat troops advance before the engineers. Unless this has already been considered and I missed it in which case please ignore this.

1. Enter the area on the north road leading into La Dand in battle order. Proceed along the road to the north bridge near La Dand.

2. Advance half way down the road leading into Stethoscope remaining in battle order.

3A) If Stethoscope is in German hands proceed down the road into Stethoscope and deploy in the below formation.

Infantry deployed in the outskirts of the town. 5 down the west to south west border. 2 on the north road, seeing into the sunken road. 2 inside the town itself.
Machine guns are to deployed in base contact with the three infantry companies directly in the western outskirts.
Horse artillery deployed in the north west corner outskirts where it can fire over the western and northern infantry.
Brigade commander deployed in the center of the town behind the 2 infantry inside within 8" of all units.

3B) If Stethoscope has not been taken or is in the process of being taken then please advance down the road in battle formation and then charge into Stethoscope to help kill enemy brigades there and help take the town.

Standing Orders
When sighting an enemy in attack stance, keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy launch a cavalry charge
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy
Fight to the last man, do not break off.

When outside of Stethoscope preferred battle formation is this:

(shamelessly stolen i know)

Does this look good to everyone, any comments and suggestions are welcomed so i can edit this as needed.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 16, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Added Space posted:

One thing that's been a constant bugbear is people not understanding the difference between Defense and Attack posture.

If you want to trench up and sit tight, specify defense.
If you want to hold ready for a counter-charge, specify offense.

Both have merits, just don't confuse the two.

Trin specified that a brigade that finishes it's move automatically goes into defense stance. Is it possible to avoid that and have my brigade stay in attack stance inside the town. And if yes will it interfere with deploying the units to their positions and firing machine guns and artillery?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
One thing that I just realised and it is too late to change now but parts of 2 brigade are going to be in places where I said for my 4th Brigade to deploy on reaching Stethoscope if my brigade arrives there before the end of this round of turns.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
24 turns seems a hell of a lot to try and plan out in one go, is that because it would be almost impossible to change orders.

As for actual orders for my 4th Brigade. Should I continue to advance into Stethoscope or do you have alternate orders for me Saros?

OTF your artillery is indeed blocked and if you are going to go on attack stance to move it you might as well position that MG behind one of your infantry in the western outskirts for the billy bonus.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I've received no updated orders from my division commander so I will have my brigade continue to follow their current orders though already having units inside Stethoscope is probably cause problems. Saros, we need to figure out what we want to do.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Upon reaching the town after finishing their previous set of orders the 4th brigade is to follow the below set of orders.

Brigade is to change to attack stance to facilitate movement.

Horse artillery, Brigade commander, three cavalry on the western outskirts and the three machine guns are to stay where they are.

Remaining cavalry are to move north to the designated positions shown in figure 1 and begin digging trenches along and across the sunken road. Upon completetion of the trenches cavalry outside of the town are to return to the town positions shown in figure 2.

Figure 1.

Figure 2.

Standing orders:

If sighting enemy force in attack stance within 12" Launch cavalry charge
Break off at 1/2 losses

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 20, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Flesnolk posted:

To clarify, your cavalry chits in figure 2 are in the outskirts, not outside the town?

Indeed the cavalry chits should all be in the outskirts, except those shown inside the town itself. If need be I could try and make a new diagram clearing things up?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

sniper4625 posted:

Will these trenches be considered "in the road" enough to get the CC bonus?

Flesnolk posted:

Also trenches in the road are even better. Unless that's what you plan to do.

I may have miss read Saros' map, I thought he wanted the trenches just in front of the road not in it. If he wants them in it I will re do the map to show. Though doesn't the sunken road already give cover just by being in it.?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I've changed all mentions of infantry to cavalry, I have no idea if I am supposed to dismount so until told to do so I will stay mounted.

I mean as far as I can tell cavalry still shoot with rifles and dig trenches. The only bonus I can see for dismounting is that you are harder to spot and if you have cover then being cavalry or foot infantry doesn't matter at all.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So that trench is on the British side I am guessing, somewhere between the forest and the river? Should we possibly check up north as ell when it comes to day light? We have already spotted some Armoured Cars so they could have or be bringing more troops to cover if not advance across the north.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Probably because there is nothing we can do about it and he did say that he went to get something to eat. SO it is something to excite/worry/annoy us while he finishes doing the write up.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Hahaha that was brilliant, all that worry and panic and it ends up with nothing worse than a BEF engineer dead, though any hope of keeping those troops hidden in there is likely gone now.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Move the brigade south out of Stethoscope down to the bridge crossing over the river, cross over the river and advance up to the trenches before Bois de Blob and occupy them. Stay in battle order the whole time.

At 1130 move north to the northern edge of Blois de Blob.

At 1200 charge the expected BEF position in Foret de Effayders.

If the fight is successful move west and take up positions on the western edge of Effayders taking up positions as shown in the below image.

Standing Orders

When sighting an enemy in attack stance, turn to face and launch Cavalry Charge

When attacking the enemy,use rifle fire followed by close combat

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed, pursue the enemy

Break off automatically at 3/4 casualties

Navigate around any spotted wire or other obstacles.

Battle Formation

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 22, 2017

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

oystertoadfish posted:

did trin say something about if indirect fire fell within 2" of a friend and a enemy he'd roll dice to decide who if anybody got hit? does that imply that indirect fire has a splash damage effect outside its 50px target box? still haven't looked up the rules.

does anybody think dismounted infantry would be more effective than mounted at attacking forests? I'm guessing not. how about for defense? I argued that it would be better to dismount last orders phase, and kev i think argued that it wouldn't, but the enemy didn't put that too the test last night - what do people with more experience think? I'll write up the orders later tonight

pretty awesome that we shouldn't need an extension on the deadline, the relatively high and seemingly sufficient amount of activity itt gladdens my cold German piscine heart

I'll have to check for more details later but one big change with dismounting is that you would move at the speed of a footman which is 8" while staying mounted means we move 12". Longer you have to travel the more time the enemy gets to shoot at you.

I think infantry also fire before cavalry but I will have to check that.

Edit: Yes infantry fire before cavalry but seeing as how stationary units fire before moving units as the attacker it won't matter to us anyway.

The only other benefit would be out in the open if you dismounted you would be harder to spot but in cover like we were it won't have any real effect.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Mossy if you move your troops to the right hand side of the BdB you will get mixed up with mine when they move forwards, can you have your troops move to the left hand side of BdB?

• Locked thread