Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

because CODECS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS OK? JEEZ

trust your professionals, you'll live easier that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.
Whats the best CRT to use for video production? Do I need a HDMI to SDI converter, how do I make sure SDI Cables r clean?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pagancow posted:

DONT
  • use F.LUX

oh, phew! looks like im fine

quote:

Lower Blue Light: Windows can now automatically lower the amount of blue light emitted from your PC at night. Settings to turn this functionality on or off and use a local sunset and sunrise or custom schedule are in Settings -> System -> Display. If you need to quickly override the schedule or always want manual control, you can enable this quick action in Settings->Notifications & actions. Use this capability for a couple nights and send us feedback through the Feedback Hub, we’d love to know what you think!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

now explain why premiere pro can't open my ffv1 avis even though the library of congress suggests that codec for archival purposes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I set up MPC-HC on my laptop so that I can use it when I'm on battery to save power as it can use the Intel Quick Sync Video hardware decoder for H.264. When I'm not on battery I go back to using VLC.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6951HGObcQ

from a disc i found in the trash, courtesy The Orphanage

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 12, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if I pry a Professional Disc out of its caddy and put it in my blu-ray drive, will it work

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The Vinja Ninja posted:

Whats the best CRT to use for video production? Do I need a HDMI to SDI converter, how do I make sure SDI Cables r clean?

These were the poo poo back in the day:

BVM-DE24E1WE

But they are discontinued, and only display rec.709 primaries, and rec.2020 is the new hotness

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

atomicthumbs posted:

now explain why premiere pro can't open my ffv1 avis even though the library of congress suggests that codec for archival purposes

because SMPTE didn't have a say in it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

atomicthumbs posted:

if I pry a Professional Disc out of its caddy and put it in my blu-ray drive, will it work

yes, as in it will work that you'll get fired

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

atomicthumbs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6951HGObcQ

from a disc i found in the trash, courtesy The Orphanage

cool. they had a lot of work to do. movie was awesome

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
is anyone else hype for vp10 av1? it will be so nice to finally have an actually-good royalty-free codec with real hardware support. the best part is how it only happened because the h265 patent-holders were greedy fucks who couldnt just be happy with what they were getting to keep the gravy train rolling but instead had to ask for so much that even loving netflix (who people actually pay for their content) couldnt afford the royalties.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol if u dont get pure rgb data into your eyes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

BVM-DE24E1WE

But they are discontinued, and only display rec.709 primaries, and rec.2020 is the new hotness

what is the floppy drive on the front for

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

is anyone else hype for vp10 av1? it will be so nice to finally have an actually-good royalty-free codec with real hardware support. the best part is how it only happened because the h265 patent-holders were greedy fucks who couldnt just be happy with what they were getting to keep the gravy train rolling but instead had to ask for so much that even loving netflix (who people actually pay for their content) couldnt afford the royalties.

av1 is the future, but the bitstream freeze has been pushed back to october so it will be a while before ubiquitous support is out there.

it's nice to see software patent bullshit finally bite these companies in the rear end. with h.264 you dealt with paying royalties, with a yearly cap, to mpeg-la and that was it. with h.265 you have to deal with two separate patent pools, each with their own licensing terms and fees on top of some individual companies who aren't part of either pool. licensing h.265 ends up costing something like 10x more than h.264 if you make hardware or software.

a lot of the companies who joined aom and offered up their patents for royalty-free use were actually part of the patent pools for h.264 and h.265, but h.265's licensing was so lovely that even the companies who were in on it didn't want to deal with it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The_Franz posted:

av1 is the future, but the bitstream freeze has been pushed back to october so it will be a while before ubiquitous support is out there.

it's nice to see software patent bullshit finally bite these companies in the rear end. with h.264 you dealt with paying royalties, with a yearly cap, to mpeg-la and that was it. with h.265 you have to deal with two separate patent pools, each with their own licensing terms and fees on top of some individual companies who aren't part of either pool. licensing h.265 ends up costing something like 10x more than h.264 if you make hardware or software.

a lot of the companies who joined aom and offered up their patents for royalty-free use were actually part of the patent pools for h.264 and h.265, but h.265's licensing was so lovely that even the companies who were in on it didn't want to deal with it.

lmao

how greedy did they think they could be

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
anyone know what setup you need to get hw decode on youtube's vp9 4k videos?

I think either a skylake cpu, kabylake cpu, or keppler gpu, plus chrome or edge?

annoyingly i can decode them fine but it's loving compositing performance of all things that's causing me frame drops when i maximize?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

skylake has "partial" VP9 support; kaby lake has "full support" whatever that means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Quick_Sync_development

you have to have the GPU enabled in bios (even if you're not using it) and a proper version of the Intel video drivers installed, and hardware acceleration enabled in your browser

Opera has a real nifty feature where, for the battery saver mode, it asks any site that's able to drop down to AVC if the hardware codec doesn't support other stuff, to make sure it uses the least power possible. chrome needs to get off its rear end and figure that out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

there's also the hardware cores in nvidia and AMD's poo poo but I have no idea how to use either of those

I tried to configure ReLive (AMD's shadowplay equivalent) once and the configuration screen was incomprehensible and it didn't record my sweet team kill

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

atomicthumbs posted:

lmao

how greedy did they think they could be

well there's been persistent rumors ever since it started that the primary goal of hevc advance has been to kill hevc for :reasons:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

On November 22, 2016, HEVC Advance announced a major initiative, revising their policy to allow software implementations of HEVC to be distributed directly to consumer mobile devices and personal computers royalty free, without requiring a patent license.

quote:

Technicolor SA was initially a member, but announced in February 2016 that they had withdrawn from the patent pool and would be directly licensing their HEVC patents.

:shepface:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sagebrush posted:

what is the floppy drive on the front for

proprietary memory card slot to hold all the settings. And holy hell did CRTs have a lot of user settings on them.

Also this thing was only 1000 lines too.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
make freespace 3 tia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I don't know OP, VLC seems good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

uninstall

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pagancow posted:

uninstall

Why tho

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

pagancow posted:

BVM-DE24E1WE

i actually had to use one of those at a job in 2014 because it was for a cheap rear end company and it felt anachronistic as gently caress using a massive crt. at least it used sdi lol tho i think that was on an expansion board which they had to pay extra for lol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

not taking the bait to install vlc

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
vlc is cool and also good. i drag videos into it and the videos play

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

vlc is cool and also good. i drag videos into it and the videos play

yeah, but half the time it's washed out 4 some reason

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use mpc-hc and it is very good and I like it better than VLC but imo no media player has ever been as good as QuickTime Pro 5.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

pagancow posted:

BVM-DE24E1WE

Those things really hurt to look at, especially at 48PsF

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
My favourite feature of vlc is how you can set the volume control to 200%. get out of my bitstream you stupid traffic cone

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

akadajet posted:

yeah, but half the time it's washed out 4 some reason

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

last time i tested this, this control panel setting had no effect on the video being washed out because lol open sores decoders not knowing that 16 doesnt actually map to 16

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

there's a reason why MPEG-LA doesn't want everybody making a decoder all willy nilly.

VLC is one reason

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

pagancow posted:

last time i tested this, this control panel setting had no effect on the video being washed out because lol open sores decoders not knowing that 16 doesnt actually map to 16
worked for me. it's real stupid that you need to change anything though.

funnily enough i had the opposite problem when i built a new computer for my dad over christmas. black crush in every video. you can't win

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
thinking of replacing my pioneer kuro plasma w/ an lg oled

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
thinking of replacing my dick with a vag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted: