Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"

Perplx posted:

just want to say mkv is trash and the "scene" is stupid for switching from mp4 to mkv for standard def tv shows

What is wrong with mkv, seems to have a lot more support nowadays, the last amp I bought will quite happily decodes 5.1 flac out of mkv files????

I thought the only advantage it has is that can put a larger variety of stuff into it than mp4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

Perplx posted:

mkvs are alright for high def movies with dts/atmos tracks and weirdo subs, but standard def tv show are just h.264 video and aac audio that were sourced from mp4 to begin with half the time

mkv dont play in ios, tvos, quicktime, safari, firefox, ie or edge and cannot be imported in finalcut or premiere
also they seek like poo poo and don't show thumbnails on plex on the appletv4

Maybe don't watch mkvs off your Apple TV? And more so why the hell would I watch video files in a goddamn web browser? For static content that you aren't editing, mkv is fine? And if it's from broadcast it wouldn't be in an mp4 container anyway. Maybe the guy encoding it is just used to mkv files. Afaik you can re-mux between the formats very easily without a loss in quality.

E: don't use vlc :(

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

My favourite feature of vlc is how you can set the volume control to 200%. get out of my bitstream you stupid traffic cone

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

???? ??

I unironically don't know why I wouldn't use vlc

Because it's a video player that doesn't understand what video is. It's so ham fisted and badly implemented over the years it makes Windows' video decoder architecture look positively divine in comparison. If you try and take vlc out of its comfort zone of a computer monitor and a pair of headphones, the entire thing becomes a cluster gently caress. Is that decoded then reencoded audio being sent to your amplifier or is it the original bitstream via HDMI? Who knows! Vlc won't tell you. Why is the audio coming through as white noise? Vlc stripped the audio headers off the bitstream and put the wrong ones back on.

A normal media player you set the audio device, check the 'send as bitstream' option and that's it, it works.

E: trap sprung

E2: I don't know if I've ever gotten surround sound out of vlc. Usually I'm sick of it by the time I've tried to get it to work that I just open it in Windows media player or mpc-hc. At least those work.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

Aix posted:

you know how the scrollwheel in vlc adjusts the volume? well in ios vlc if you swipe vertically it adjusts the brightness
:perfect:

• Locked thread