Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jimmy Carter posted:

what projector do I buy

preferably one with lasers

color reproduction with laser projectors is terrible. also the flickering makes old DLP projectors look good

get a dlp with LEDs - all the problems with DLP were solved by getting rid of the color wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

i have never seen a home projector setup that looked good

that's because it's loving expensive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spatial posted:

:(

i don't have a good feel for what a nit is. how many nits does a typical IPS monitor put out?

200ish

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

how many nit is 1800 lumen

a nit is a candela/m2. a lumen is a candela*steradian. so it depends on how much area those lumen are spread over

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but what about his lighting setup

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

that's like 2 spaceship jpgs, kickstarter should be good for it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

0.292 foot-lamberts

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

univbee posted:

baby got FLAC

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hifi posted:

why cant they just give you a better bitrate instead of whatever the gently caress they are doing instead? it's not like you can see more than 3 colors

but they still exist!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

through what area? a 75w bulb is going to be eye searingly bright if you stick it right in front of your eye but is ok over a larger solid angle

a square meter

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

your eyes are capable of seeing this huge cie chart why would you let anything less than Rec 2020 in?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CIExy1931_Rec_2020.svg

are there videophiles that are crazy about impossible colors like audiophiles and ultrasound/infrasound?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

even movie theatres have ducking lasers and p3 gamut and anybody can pay a few bucks to see last decades technilogy?

lasers? i thought laser projectors had horrendous speckle

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

the best podcasts are recorded via skype with everyone sitting in their backyards, poorly edited, and only vaguely about the stated topic

i like shutdown fullcast, you see

“poorly” implies it’s edited in the first place

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

edited or not it’s still my favorite fried chicken podcast

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

lol they build more sets in prequels because computer graphics were bad back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-myaAkkQPc&t=1840s

I assume Lucas made the real sets look like terrible CG in ep2 to blend in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pagancow posted:

Just look at the massive elaborate set they build for EP1, and then on EP7 its like "welp lets just let bob from VFX do it" because it looks better.

Ep2 and 3 are the bad ones for that, it’s clear in 1 they ran out of money after the “roger roger” droids and jar jar

• Locked thread