Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pagancow posted:

DONT
  • use F.LUX

oh, phew! looks like im fine

quote:

Lower Blue Light: Windows can now automatically lower the amount of blue light emitted from your PC at night. Settings to turn this functionality on or off and use a local sunset and sunrise or custom schedule are in Settings -> System -> Display. If you need to quickly override the schedule or always want manual control, you can enable this quick action in Settings->Notifications & actions. Use this capability for a couple nights and send us feedback through the Feedback Hub, we’d love to know what you think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

now explain why premiere pro can't open my ffv1 avis even though the library of congress suggests that codec for archival purposes

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I set up MPC-HC on my laptop so that I can use it when I'm on battery to save power as it can use the Intel Quick Sync Video hardware decoder for H.264. When I'm not on battery I go back to using VLC.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6951HGObcQ

from a disc i found in the trash, courtesy The Orphanage

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 12, 2017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if I pry a Professional Disc out of its caddy and put it in my blu-ray drive, will it work

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The_Franz posted:

av1 is the future, but the bitstream freeze has been pushed back to october so it will be a while before ubiquitous support is out there.

it's nice to see software patent bullshit finally bite these companies in the rear end. with h.264 you dealt with paying royalties, with a yearly cap, to mpeg-la and that was it. with h.265 you have to deal with two separate patent pools, each with their own licensing terms and fees on top of some individual companies who aren't part of either pool. licensing h.265 ends up costing something like 10x more than h.264 if you make hardware or software.

a lot of the companies who joined aom and offered up their patents for royalty-free use were actually part of the patent pools for h.264 and h.265, but h.265's licensing was so lovely that even the companies who were in on it didn't want to deal with it.

lmao

how greedy did they think they could be

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

skylake has "partial" VP9 support; kaby lake has "full support" whatever that means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video#Quick_Sync_development

you have to have the GPU enabled in bios (even if you're not using it) and a proper version of the Intel video drivers installed, and hardware acceleration enabled in your browser

Opera has a real nifty feature where, for the battery saver mode, it asks any site that's able to drop down to AVC if the hardware codec doesn't support other stuff, to make sure it uses the least power possible. chrome needs to get off its rear end and figure that out

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

there's also the hardware cores in nvidia and AMD's poo poo but I have no idea how to use either of those

I tried to configure ReLive (AMD's shadowplay equivalent) once and the configuration screen was incomprehensible and it didn't record my sweet team kill

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

On November 22, 2016, HEVC Advance announced a major initiative, revising their policy to allow software implementations of HEVC to be distributed directly to consumer mobile devices and personal computers royalty free, without requiring a patent license.

quote:

Technicolor SA was initially a member, but announced in February 2016 that they had withdrawn from the patent pool and would be directly licensing their HEVC patents.

:shepface:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

ITS TWENTY SEVENTEEN MOTHERFUCKERS, that means we need to have a new codec tier list.

1. DV

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I'm planning on buying a 17-85 f/2 som berthiot reflex zoom intended for a bolex so I can use my image intensifier microscopy camera without attaching a monitor to it

The lens viewfinder won't help much at night, though, when I'll mostly be using it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I have a portable betacam deck and a tiny Sony miniDV recorder and the miniDV is infolithium-powered so I wouldn't need a battery belt for it, but I'll still need some way to get 120v to the camera and I'm wondering if the BVW-35 would be better at recording a hosed-up composite signal

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

90% of the pixels on screen are mastered between .0001 to 100 nits, only things like direct lights, the sun, and reflections off chome get into the 1,000 nit brightness areas.

it looks dope

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

how many nit is 1800 lumen

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

by the way while were on the subject of cables:

2017 VIDEO CABLE TIER LIST

1. SDI
  2. DisplayPort
  3. Fiber Optic (SDI interface dummy)
  4. Cat5/6 (MNTP server)
  5. HDMI
  6. VGA

composite w/ bnc

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

only on a crt

obviously

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mpc-hc is good and uses my computer's Intel Quicksync Video hardware H.264 decoder, unlike VLC.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I always wondered why they had these weird as hell closed times (which also rendered the website completely unfunctional)

Beards & Hats

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

wtttffffffffffffffffffffff

WHAT ARE STANDARDS?

my thinkpad x220 tablet's ips display covers 67% of srgb

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

so this is what a life full of disappointment is like

i found an acer B276HUL at work and bought it for $25 and i'm gonna replace my old ultrasharp U2312HM with it

nothing color critical gets finished on the thinkpad, anyway. i borrowed a calibrator from school so i could tighten up the graphics on my desktop computer

but right now i'm out in the field

determining properties of highway guide star [periodic strobe] by Devin Wilson, on Flickr

that camera's a Dage-MTI SIT-66X low-light laboratory camera, which is perfectly usable outdoors at night as it's C-mount

to record it i just attach either a miniDV or a Digital8 camera to it since that's what I have. only one MiniDV tape though. i wonder if trying to record digital8 video to a video8 tape would go badly

https://fat.gfycat.com/SandyFickleJackal.webm

the photo up there is a 30s exposure at f/5.6 and iso 800
the video frames (fields) are 1/30s at f/1.8 (IIRC? can't remember if I stopped it down)

this may put it at ~iso 51200 at whatever i had the video gain and image intensification set to

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

josh04 posted:

afaik it's all the same tape, should record digital8 just fine assuming there's nothing wrong with it otherwise

i know hi8 and digital8 are the same, but i'm not so sure about video8

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

pagancow posted:

Tape noise is the worst kind of noise to have.

Between the thermal noise from cranking the vidicon gain and shot noise from setting the intensifier voltage as high as it'll go, the tape noise is the least of my worries

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I can't use the camera in daylight without either a neutral density or infrared filter on, it just shuts off and blinks the overload LED at me.

When I do put a filter on, there's a constant white spot in the lower middle of the image because of the fiber optic faceplate on the tube

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

please explain highway guide light

i took a picture of me taking a video of a strobe beacon on a tower that's visible for 50 miles and lights up the landscape around it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my camera can resolve the corona discharge off the insulators of a 120kv power line

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

how critical is frame synchronization on the camera side when shooting 2-camera stereoscopic 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

you can pull off some clever effects with judicious use of desync, but mostly you'll just headaches.

The effects are less severe the farther away your subject is from the camera rig though

i'm thinking of putting a pair of cameras at equal altitude on the sides of mountains in the desert to make the desert small

• Locked thread