Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

24p still rules over all framerates sorry get your 48p hobbits dancing all over the school gymnasium.

welcome back, alternative faith bovine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

is that how you people say yosmas?

no, that person (who isn't pagancow) is saying it wrong

YOZZ POZZ is the correct pronunciation

not YOSE POSE or YOSS POSS

so it should be YOZZ MAS

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

:perfect:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I like the nVidia thing that lets me crank up the saturation on my monitor, because more = better.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
don't let your bits flap in the breeze.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
IDK how people can stand borderless monitors. Visual separation to reduce eye strain? Nah, who wants that? :downswords:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

what do border on monitors have to do with eye strain

the border/bezel provides visual separation from the monitor's surroundings and whatever is behind it. ideally, the bezel should be matte black since your eye is drawn to lighter colors, and you don't want the bezel to compete with what's on screen.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

mjpeg gon give it to ya. COME ON

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/google-jpeg-guetzli-encoder-file-size/

I've been doin this for 19 years WHAT?

somebody else did something similar a few years ago, but was trying to sell their new JPEG compressor as a standalone app.

libjpeg, which is what literally every program and operating system uses for JPEG support, was written in the early-mid 90s, and there have been advances in image processing etc since then. google's new encoder is just using a newer method to determine what visual information to keep vs what to throw away.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 18, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL somebody hasn't been paying attention and only just found out they're doing a Han Solo origin story movie.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

i blame the metric system since they got apple to popularize the use of a "metric megabyte" where 1,000,000 bytes is a megabyte

pretty much every hard drive & SSD manufacturer has been doing that for ages and it's always been dumb as gently caress.

not really all that surprising that Apple actually made the OS report drive sizes that way, though. "Why does my $4999 MackBook Pro with a huge 128GB SSD and gorgeous 7" 1024x768 LCD say it only has a 125GB drive?"

and LMAO at the Linux tards that actually unironically refer to them as mebibytes and gibibytes and poo poo.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

so it's just the TV dynamically changing the backlight brightness like some already do, but now they're marketing it as some kind of HDR? :rolleyes: x100

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

imagine an open world game where dark corners looked fine but outdoor scenes were just all washed out because your TV didn't support the brightness that the developers mastered to.

game engines already do their own tone mapping.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
pretty critical, i'd imagine. otherwise, when played back one "eye" will be ahead of the other.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
TrueMotion by The Duck Corporation

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Wheany posted:

duh nobody is using the standard that has not been completed. but the biggest streaming services, all cpu and gpu manufacturers and over 70% of browser marketshare are members of the alliance

lots of hardware makers etc were in the "alliance" for "totally not h.264, we promise" aka VP8, and guess how that turned out?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
VBR is poo poo

"yes, I want the whole song to sound equally bad."

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
OR

the reason most HDR stuff looks oversaturated is because they crank the contrast and saturation when re"mastering" the HDR version because more contrast + more saturation = better, right? :w00t:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
new movies might look good in hdr if mastered properly using a non-retarded standard that anyone bothers to fully and correctly implement, but existing stuff is just gonna use the existing masters but have the contrast, brightness, and saturation cranked up, whether it looks good or was the original intent or not.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
who cares if it makes the black and dark areas of the picture washed out and milky, we want BRIGHTER

lol because movies don't have rich, contrasty shadows anymore anyway. big budget movies use that awful, low-contrast, straight-down, overhead "overcast" soft lighting that still somehow looks overlit, so they don't have to work as hard to match the CG to the live action

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
we'll give you a pass on that one, but as penance you must watch all four avatar sequels when they come out

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yes and it looked like dog poo poo smeared on the floor

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
a garbage look for a garbage movie

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
nah dude it looked like that pic where a dog has a poo poo-crusted tapeworm hanging out it’s rear end.

it was a good movie but shooting it on video was a mistake.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
meh

I got the impression at the time that people in those days were doing it to ~Rebel Against The Hollywood System~. almost like a Dogme 95 thing but video instead of 35mm film.

circa 2005 i went to a film festival where the head guy was all “We’ve got people sending in submissions shot on DIGITAL VIDEO!” like it was some big DiGiTaL ReVoLuTiOn thing, and not because it was cheaper and because a lot of newbie independents were lazy babies that whined shooting on film was So HardTM.

there were a bunch of wannabes around that time who called themselves poo poo like Digital Filmmakers because they were totally Rebels and Revolutionaries and not just idiots without the budget to afford 35mm.

IIRC and IMHO digital movie cameras didn’t start to not suck until they started making them try to be more than just high end video cameras. which started happening around the time the Panavision Genesis, Red One, etc. started to get on the scene.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 11, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

univbee posted:

shooting on film back in the day was expensive as gently caress (especially in color but b&w could be pretty pricey too) and was notoriously hard to experiment or do independently because of the costs involved on your recording medium alone

this is me being zen and not having flashbacks of all the whiny film students I used to have to deal with that just couldn’t believe they had to shoot their movies on film and that the cameras weren’t just like their dad’s camcorder that they shot their little action/gangster short “films” on when they were 15.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Schadenboner posted:

I, too, believe that cultural production should be the exclusive realm of the wealthy (and those poors with wealthy patrons).

:rolleyes: you’ll never guess what societal class film students overwhelmingly belong to. :ssh:

16mm film wasn’t that expensive, B&W 16mm film was even cheaper (both the film and the processing), Kodak gave film students a discount, and the school had a discount from FotoKem for film processing so the students used the school’s account.

these were dumbass (mostly) rich kids over 15 years ago whose main complaint was that shooting on film was ~too hard~ and why can’t they shoot on video like they did for all the little shorts they made when they were 15, it’s so much easier etc etc etc.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
cool yeah ityool 2017

not so much in 1999/2000. like I said, over 15 years ago.

but go ahead and make a big deal about an offhand remark I made about rich kids not wanting to have to learn anything or put in any effort back in 2000.

“you expect us to shoot on film at a time when even TV shows are still shot on film? :argh:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 13, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
digital video existed but it was really expensive and still looked worse than 16mm film. a digital video camera that allowed the same control over the image as a movie camera (manual focus, swappable lenses, manual exposure, etc) was way more expensive than renting a 16mm film camera and still looked worse.

but none of these students were complaining about any of that. just that film was “too hard.”

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

nope, sony had a good 1080P camera in 1999 for Star Wars EP1 and it was panavised so that focus puller still had a job

EP1 was shot on 35mm, except for literally 1 or 2 shots that were done as a test. George Lucas reportedly was booed at a DGA screening of EP1, after he said a lot of it was intentionally shot ever so slightly out of focus because he was already planning to shoot EP2 digitally & didn’t want it to look worse than EP1 in terms of resolution and detail.

they didn’t go to shooting full digital until EP2, in 2002.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

yes but the reels were transferred to hdcam sr and those are the official masters.

aside from a few special venues, EP1 was shown at all theaters as a 35mm film print.

quote:

Lucas was right that 1080p was better than film because a completely optical workflow for film means you get to barely see 800ish lines of resolution during projection with the best optical practices.

what non-george-lucas source are you basing that on?

if you’re counting “lines” as a light-dark cycle, like some people do/did when talking about film resolution, then 1080p only has 540 “lines” of resolution.

quote:

shooting 1080 and digitally projecting digital 1080 gives you 1080 lines.

almost no theaters had digital projectors in 2002. EP2 was shown in most theaters on 35mm film prints made from the digital master.

I remember reading the specs for a then-high-end digital cinema projector and IIRC its resolution was something like 1024x1024.

a few people who’d gone out of their way to find a theater that was showing EP2 digitally said they could see the pixels because the projector didn’t have enough resolution.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

but don't even show me your ditch quality indie film bullshit unless it's 4K hdr and in a 4:2:2 codec

4:2:2? if you shot it digitally then you better have shot it 4:4:4 RGB son.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Ocrassus posted:

what’s the difference? make record louder to sell records, make tvs more ‘colourful’ to sell tvs.

the loudness war was as much about dumbshit bands wanting their music to sound on the CD the same as on the radio as anything else IIRC. more loudness didn’t mean more sales (for the music).

with motion interpolation and oversaturation introduced by your TV, you can just turn it off or get a better TV. the movie isn’t mastered that way. whereas with audio and the loudness war, if you cared about quality at all, welp, too bad, that’s how the CD was and probably how it was mastered.

for audio, the equivalent of motion smoothing and oversaturation would be systems coming with lovely default EQ presets.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 16, 2017

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

Bayer patters would like to have a discussion with you

get that garbage-tier sensor outta my sight.

no interpolated color values allowed in THIS house, mister.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

cool arri Alexa 65, Red dick suck-machine gun or whatever their high end thing is called now, and Sony f65 are trash tier. got it.

not my fault they decided to artificially inflate their sensor resolution by not having it record data for every channel on every pixel :shrug:

seriouschat, it kinda sucks that they're going after MOAR RESOLUTION instead of 4:4:4 and no bayer patterns. but even NASA is sending sensors with bayer patterns but more advertised resolution now, so v:shobon:v

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
can't wait for the RED 16K EYEGASM MEGADRAGON

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yes, I know that bayer patterns are a thing we have to live with and that they’re fine Most of the Time.

but it seems that somebody would’ve put something like a foveon sensor in a digital cinema camera by now and at least tried to market it to VFX studios or whoever based on the increased color resolution, though.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
a holdover from ye olden thymes when you did color correction on movies using a hazeltine machine, specifying how bright 3 colored lights should be and for how long they should be that bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
all the young x-men in X-Men First Class seem like the B team IMHO

LOL that every new x-man movie except Logan takes place in the past so they can use younger actors

• Locked thread