Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

is that how you people say yosmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

akadajet posted:

pagancow paid a girl to pretend she was he

yeah she sounds like professional voice talent - I just assumed there was some direction on that point since she got everything else right as far as I could tell

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

hifi posted:

thats a lot for a monitor that doesnt even have freesync

atren't all gaming monitors tn panels tho?

I mean it's not fuckin 2004 anymore

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

so that sarnsung thing is actually good?

I mean they used 4k right and everything

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Perplx posted:

my tv has uncorrectable overscan, no menu options at all

i did figure out it will display correctly if it has an hdmi signal without sound

so laptop >hdmi cable> TV = overscan with sound
but laptop > displayport to dvi > dvi2hdmi > hdmi cable > TV = no overscan and no sound

because dvi doesn't carry audio

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The_Franz posted:

it can. hdmi is basically dvi-d and audio is sent during the vblank period. pretty much every video card can send audio via the dvi port if the device at the other end supports it.

huh

still I'm not surprised you'd lose that through a converter since they're probably bargain basement poo poo inside

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

The_Franz posted:

hdmi<->dvi convertors don't have any active circuits inside. they're just pin adapters.

you're stacking a couple of adapters to get there so I just assume weird poo poo will happen for some reason and my best guess was lovely adapters - maybe the manufacturer skipped a resistor somewhere because it Seems to Work

granted this is a holdover assumption from when everything was analog so maybe I should expect better nowadays?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

akadajet posted:

we have some chromecasts set up at work for conferencing and they are unreliable pieces of poo poo

I thought the conferencing product was different but a Chromecast is a decent, cheap way to add streaming to a dumb TV

you can also make a kinda fun YouTube jukebox for when you have guests - oh right nevermind and see above

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

the gray forum monitor thread informed me that dells don't implement display port correctly so if you turn them off they appear disconnected

whether that'll annoy you depends on how you use them I guess

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Wheany posted:

i bet as soon as the av1 bitstream gets finalized, google will add support to chrome and will start pushing av1 videos on youtube to browsers that support it.

i don't know if http streaming apis have evolved to the point where they can differentiate between "supports this format" and "can decode the format but not smoothly at this resolution", because that was definitely a problem with my then-current computer and 1080p60 vp9 on youtube

has been for a while https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/VideoPlaybackQuality

but who knows if it works right on your special snowflake combination of browser-patch-level+os-patch-level - the only way to be sure would be hand-rolling a video player with a canvas and measuring time between rendered frames

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

pagancow posted:

lol throw your garbage tv in the trash subtitles should be at 100 nits, not max brightness and your tv generates those lol

afaict Netflix apps do they own subtitles

maybe not on smart TVs but lmao if you use that crap

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Doc Block posted:

yes, I know that bayer patterns are a thing we have to live with and that they’re fine Most of the Time.

but it seems that somebody would’ve put something like a foveon sensor in a digital cinema camera by now and at least tried to market it to VFX studios or whoever based on the increased color resolution, though.

what is the deal with foveon? I remember reading about them in a magazine back when I read magazines and I assumed that technology was everywhere now. is it all the money to license or super loving hard to make the sensors or what?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm happy that pagancow will be able to enjoy a Taika Waititi film now that Ragnarok is out :unsmith:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

echinopsis posted:

why couldnt she have enjoyed what we do in the shadows

boy is also good esp at the start

it didn't cost nearly enough to make duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

AtomD posted:

vfx breakdowns makes me realize how fuckin dirt cheap industry must percieve vfx manhours to be

they don't pay them very much. I think I saw a story earlier this year about how vfx companies basically die out as soon as their first film is in the can because they're run on almost no margin to be competitive

• Locked thread