Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

After watching these two videos I now actually understand what the gently caress those colour gamut charts actually are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRT0mtabjI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_4mVZcozs

the whole series is a pro click zone btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pagancow posted:

like watching HDR video from a camera source on your rec.709 display and going 'whats the big deal? it looks like poo poo"

but for audio

cameras are explicitly meant to capture the wide dynamic range of the world for display on a limited dynamic range display. taking a photograph of an HDR display is totally valid

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

posting from my Google pixel, which has a wider than sRGB gamut and no colour management so everything is oversaturated

Feels great

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

the little bubble that pops up to tell you that you're watching HDR content is really handy, as otherwise it's hard to know on most TVs

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

gonna make the bold prediction that HDR will mostly be a cluster gently caress that goes nowhere

Which is unfortunate because in theory it sounds pretty nice

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

hifi posted:

hdr sounds interesting for video games and terrible for any other media which means its going nowhere. physx card for the monitor

in theory it sounds really nice for movies and series like planet Earth

In practice a group of A/V professionals can stand around a top of the line Sony TV arguing whether or not HDR is "on" because it's not clear to them if it is.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Max Facetime posted:

now you have two problems

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Wheany posted:

oh yeah and i read about color spaces and this fukken chart:

see those numbers along the edge of the "horse shoe"?

those are the wavelengths of monochromatic light at that point. it's physically impossible to go outside that colored area. like i thought that maybe we just don't have good enough leds or whatever to make a monitor that uses some kind of "hyper RGB" primaries to show the whole color gamut.

because our imperfect meatbag eyes have cone cells that respond to light wavelenghts like this:

to go "outside the horse shoe", there would have to be a color that stimulates the red cone and "negatively stimulates" the green one, for example. in the xyz color space the math works and you can use physically impossible colors (that horse shoe graph shows an x-y plane)

so to even completely fill the horseshoe you would either need a magic display that somehow emits x,y, and z as primary colors, or infinitely many primary colours, right? so like with any 3 physically possible primary colours, you're limited to a triangle within the horseshoe

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

didn't some company (lucky goldstar I think?) have a whole thing with george takei advertising TVs with 4 primary colours

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Aix posted:

the first time i saw it was on a 17" crt as a 650mb divx ;-) 3.11 file so it looked ~unusual~ rather than straight up lovely

cant stand the blown out highlights nowadays tho. that used to be the worst thing about digital films

i remember seeing my first divx clip, it was about the same size as an mpeg but it looked razor sharp in comparison and it blew my mind

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mr. cow does it bother you that The Best TVs are OLEDs with low peak brightness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's a monitor for editing work

also, being an ips panel, it will have sad, mushy, uneven blacks like a cheap sony tv. it won't even rival the $7k dinosaurs.

no you don't understand, that warm IPS glow just adds to the brightness

• Locked thread