Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

i never understood why the scene went with lowest-common-denominator "solutions" like that when the few people desperate for CD-ROM playability could just get exactly that with a single click re-encode of a higher-quality file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

imagine if they mastered the donald trump piss tape for quattron displays.

~Takei voice~ ohh my

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

suffix posted:

what is the best tv

whatever is on display at best buy

like, the actual demo units, those ones are perfectly calibrated for color accuracy

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wheany posted:

it saddens me that blu-ray will forever be the pinnacle of consumer video quality. because come on, who the gently caress buys physical media in 2017. who the hell buys a new format of physical media (uhd blu-ray)? dvds probably outsell even blu-rays anyway.

The Digital Bits' writer is having a meltdown right now because the big studios don't really care about physical media anymore and they're unable to find out answers to technical questions that aren't answered in the press release about upcoming stuff (what set him off was Disney not knowing if GotG V2 would be Dolby Vision or not)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skim Milk posted:

only if she's 5'3"

baby got FLAC

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

good news everyone!

quote:

I’ve just finally heard back from Disney on the matter of the High Dynamic Range that will be included on the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 4K Ultra HD release. The disc itself will only include HDR-10. The 4K Digital Copy, accessible via a code in the packaging, will apparently offer a choice of HDR-10 or Dolby Vision.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

looks like the xbox one s continues to be the ultimate optical disc player

incorrect

it doesn't play vcd's

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

i mean does it give you better codecs or something?

not really

you get access to new versions quicker (free users are i think a few versions "behind", the pass-exclusive newest build isn't a "beta" or at least not treated as one), you get "Plex Media Player" which is an app-ified version of Plex with a few features over the web player (e.g. can direct play more formats)

you also get "plex cloud" which is basically an in-the-cloud plex server that gets its media from cloud storage accounts you have (currently supports Google Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox, IIRC), but its proven to be incredibly janky and unstable so i wouldn't put too much faith into that

there's probably some other stuff i'm not thinking of

it's been worth it for me to get the lifetime pass (which is $150 now, used to be $75) but ymmv on that

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dolby Vision gives you 12-bit color channels if all your equipment supports it, and some sort of inter-scene adjustment capability. that said, apparently its implementation might be a bit hosed rn and that's part of why many new Ultra HD Blu-ray discs still don't have it

do you actually have a dolby vision tv?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

My understanding is that for implementation Dolby vision is currently on like one Blu ray player and one random windows application and that's it

vudu and i think a few other us-only streaming apps offer stuff in dolby vision. there are at least 3 uhd blu-ray players (2 from oppo and 1 from lg) that support it, but i've heard stirrings that at least with the oppo players the dv stuff can work incorrectly

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

could be the fuckery i was alluding to earlier, it's like the implementation needs more time in the oven

hdr10 stuff is ok?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

so do not all hd blu ray players support all of the different hdr standards? if i wanted to buy one and not spend a fortune what should I get??

yes, there are only like three uhd blu-ray players that support dolby vision (but i think they all support hdr10)

to get dolby vision support, the cheapest option is the lg up970, which is like $250USD

the two oppo players are your other option but i think the cheaper of those players is like $500

the xbox one doesn't support dolby vision at this time, whether it can get it from some future update or not is unknown

that being said, the selection of dolby vision uhd discs is pretty thin right now

The Cabin in the Woods
Despicable Me
Despicable Me 2
The Fate of the Furious
Power Rangers (2017)
RED
RED 2
Resident Evil Vendetta (some just-released CG movie)
Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars (another just-released CG masterpiece)
Warm Bodies

and no one has a loving clue wrt announced future uhd discs because none of the companies care enough to confirm the hdr standard for their "coming soon to uhd blu-ray" press announcements

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 2, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

hmm yeah. all of those movies suck

I'm sure they'll add choice titles like The Emoji Movie soon

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

specific dolby vision support is due out in a few months for s

first i hear of this, got a link?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the secret to improving those movies with hdr is that they just blind the viewer with retina-searing brightness within the first few seconds, leaving them blessedly unable to view the rest of thee movie

i wonder how long until maxell releases a corrective laser eye surgery uhd blu-ray disc

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

where things get weird is I don't think it's an either/or thing, i'm pretty sure that dolby vision uhd blu-rays still work with hdr10 the same as if the disc didn't have dolby vision at all

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

predictable as gently caress but i'm actually somewhat surprised it took this long, i would have expected at least the itunes store side of things to be a a day-and-date thing with the retina macbooks and imacs

wonder what the "upgrade" process/cost will be for already-owned titles

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Last Chance posted:

they did iTunes music upgrades, I don't see why movies would be such a stretch.

They didn't when movies went SD to HD, but I think Vudu or someone similar free upgraded everyone, and 4K media probably needs all the help it can get for consumer interest.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Linguica posted:

i was watching game of thrones on my hdtv by using hbo go with my macbook and a displayport -> hdmi converter dongle and it would only play at what looked like 480p and i couldn't figure it out but I finally realized it was because of loving HDCP god drat it!!!!!!

hdcp is amazingly dumb given how easy it is to bypass

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

we already have two straight-to-home-media CG movies: one is the fifth Starship Troopers movie, and the other is a Resident Evil thing. I highly, highly doubt either of them pass the million-a-minute mark

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

wouldnt that mean that the average person now sees fewer movies?

theatrically yes, but that's overwhelmingly the worst way to see a movie for many people in a time when they have absurd amounts of options to do so. it's not the 40's when that was the only way to see a movie unless you were a billionaire

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jimmy Carter posted:

have there been any major films released which were shot and mastered in 8K?

poo poo, star wars episode 3 (and possibly episode 2 as well, i forget) were shot with 1080p cameras

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

and did any other movies get shot on miniDV after that?

was takeshi miike's "dysfunctional incestuous family brought together by necrophilia" masterpiece visitor q before or after that?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

so was that a million dollars a minute?

and do they not have cinema-grade gopro equivalents that cost at least a few grand but shoot less shittily? or do they and peter jackson decided to cheap out?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

that must have been...something...seeing it in a hfr 3d theater

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Should have gone the full Billy Lynn and gone 120fps

48fps is a fun framerate since it's completely unsupported on Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray. Peter Jackson should do a truly classic New Zealand release at 50fps with PAL speedup.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

can I shoot a good movie on a lovely camera?

you can shoot a bad movie on a good camera, same thing right?

known directors sometimes get up to weird projects, visitor q (i'm not calling it "good" but it's competently put together for what it is, and what it is is seriously hosed up) which i mentioned earlier was the result of some sort of bet/stunt between takeshi miike and some other directors where they would make a full-length movie using only a minidv camera and some tiny budget (i heard $3k but i'm not sure if that's right and can't find specifics at work), although this was specifically done when digital film was just getting into affordable territory and largely as an exploration of that

shooting on film back in the day was expensive as gently caress (especially in color but b&w could be pretty pricey too) and was notoriously hard to experiment or do independently because of the costs involved on your recording medium alone

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Corla Plankun posted:

i saw 300 at the imax and at the end when he gets arrowed the pixels were big enough around the cgi that i could see them doing their little dither dance thing from where i was sitting

Is there a master list somewhere of "ruined by the theatrical IMAX upgrade" movies, where they were expecting everyone to watch it with a lower-end projector at 2K resolution and then a studio head was like "hey this would look great in IMAX" and everyone on the production staff who did a shortcut like this that is really obvious at higher resolution/quality shat themselves?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

akadajet posted:

they went outside a few times unlike the george lucas prequels lol

yeah there was a massive advertising push around "look, we have real sets, not just green screen rooms!" but really at the end of the day the only advertising they needed was "this movie is not directed by george lucas"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the original texas chainsaw massacre was shot on 16mm

and they released a uhd bluray of it

pagancow does this make sense

that part maybe, but the disc also has dolby atmos AND auro3d which sure as poo poo wasn't in 1974 theaters

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

oh yeah, a month-ish ago an enterprising hacker got into some important poo poo at hasbro and, knowing what was most important, stole a fuckton of my little pony stuff including a 129 gig DNxHD copy of the new movie (although still only at 1080p resolution)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

this is certainly a proxy which is below mpeg-2 quality lol

probably. all i know about it is it's a .mov file with a CBR of like 175 megabits/second

part of me is surprised these types of leak don't happen more often but maybe studios are actually pretty good about not having unencrypted copies of their just-got-a-theatrical-release movies sitting around on a system hackers manage to get into

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You're talking about assets worth millions so I would be in no way surprised if they have fairly elaborate chain of custody systems that are extremely auditable

I've never worked for any proper company in the movie industry but it was always my understanding that this stuff is always encrypted out the rear end so any playback has to be done in a super-heavily controlled way with plenty of DRM checks. This was a completely unencrypted loose file that people were able to straight playback offline, throw into handbrake to get a more reasonably-sized file or whatever.

I figured if you worked for a studio internally and somehow obtained an unencrypted file of a finished version of a movie while working for a major studio and you weren't, like, the head of the company (not even the director), regardless of whether or not anything bad came of it, you and anyone else who assisted you in getting that file would be lucky if the worst thing that happened to them is getting fired and blacklisted.

but then I know that in a lot of companies "super-serious" rules are often ignored

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 27, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Should they really? Maybe certain clips here and there, but what benefit does an unencrypted finished master copy of a movie give you internally? Don't the people who cut the actual theatrical trailers not even get access to the full movie?

Unless access to it is limited to like 3 or 4 people that seems like it's making things way too easy for a high-grade leak to happen.

I suppose it probably depends on the caliber of the project, too. Like it happening with the My Little Pony seems more likely than it happening with, say, the new Star Wars movie, I suspect they won't gently caress around with that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

what benefit is given by having as much of it encrypted at all times as possible?

leaks are less likely if an intern can't punt a 3 gig mp4 to 4chan for e-cred

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Are they? Very few movies get leaked this way

that's the point i'm making, leaks are almost universally from some other interference-prone source because that's their best option, like either some janky camera/telesync setup, a Russian DVD, or a screener copy, in all cases the eventual "proper" DVD runs circles around it quality-wise (and won't have Russian visuals/screener copy text). getting something that's "commercial release"-tier video/audio quality more than a month before an official DVD or Blu-ray release is pretty rare, with the few times it's happened usually being things like the movie "accidentally" getting a premature release on iTunes in the Ukraine or some such

and the studios are pretty gung-ho about dealing with even those other leak sources with things like cinavia encoding in theatrical screenings and the like in the hopes to throw off home viewing equipment

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the intern example is even more notorious, how are you going to have the intern work on anything even tangentially relating to the movie without it being a situation where they could potentially get at it?

i'd imagine an intern who was, say, in charge of building things for a spaceship battle in the upcoming star wars movie wouldn't have access to scenes outside of that, but i'll acknowledge that I'm likely hopelessly optimistic about this and pagancow probably has master files of a shitton of movies because he just walked the gently caress out of the office with it on an external drive and so did the 18 year old who brought coffee and donuts to the office

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

DNxHD 175 is a master quality file...hmmm

yeah, master wasn't the right word. what would they use for an actual master of something that peaked at 1080p like the star wars prequels, just uncompressed (or lossless)?

so i take it this effectively means that anyone at the production house who touches a computer could just output an un-watermarked un-protected copy of a finished film? what are the odds of the person doing this getting caught eventually as far as evidence the production house would have direct access to (e.g. access logs)? would they even be able to conclusively say it was from the production house?

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 28, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

you could "just" spend several hours rendering out and copying to disk a massive movie file when you were supposed to be doing something else yes. that's, not very practical to actually do.

"yes I'm working on the thing you asked me to do it's just rendering" -points to progress bar-

appearing busy while doing something you're not supposed to be doing is at least one area I have experience and expertise in

or just do it overnight if you have your "own" workstation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

"i didn't tell you to render this entire movie out like our software is clearly saying you're doing"

if it was really as easy to do as you seem to think it is, don't you think there'd be a lot more stuff going out to the pirate groups?

that's why i don't think it's that easy, we're just disagreeing on the specifics of the vigilance that prevents it from happening (a bar which just says "rendering" with a vague inaccurate ETA doesn't necessarily suggest a full movie output, would probably require a lot more scrutiny than i'd give an overworked supervisor credit for)

Do higher-end NLE's have group policy-like security options where you can, if nothing else, restrict individuals' ability to do a clean high resolution render, or some such settings?

The Blu-ray mastering house seems like a likely source, since release-ready copies of movies are prepped well in advance these days (e.g. the iTunes leak of Mad Max: Fury Road so soon after theatrical release was only possible because Apple was sitting on finished renders of the movie)

univbee fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 28, 2017

• Locked thread