Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
just want to say mkv is trash and the "scene" is stupid for switching from mp4 to mkv for standard def tv shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Dred_furst posted:

What is wrong with mkv, seems to have a lot more support nowadays, the last amp I bought will quite happily decodes 5.1 flac out of mkv files????

I thought the only advantage it has is that can put a larger variety of stuff into it than mp4?

mkvs are alright for high def movies with dts/atmos tracks and weirdo subs, but standard def tv show are just h.264 video and aac audio that were sourced from mp4 to begin with half the time

mkv dont play in ios, tvos, quicktime, safari, firefox, ie or edge and cannot be imported in finalcut or premiere
also they seek like poo poo and don't show thumbnails on plex on the appletv4

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

yeah maybe if you're a poor person or something.

a 32" 16:9 has the same screen height as 30"16:10

once you have enough screen height (13"+) and pixel density (retina) the aspect ratio isn't that important

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
can we at least agree that ads directed at kids are bad?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
linustechtips settled on https://www.epiphan.com/ for their live show after trying blackmagic and a bunch of other, they are also stupid so take it with a grain of salt

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Radar posted:

the last ac3 patents finally expired so now we're one step closer to viewing and authoring dvds in a fully :rms2:-approved manner (the last mpeg-2 patents expire early next year). also, the last mp3 patent expires next month so you can finally tell turbonerds that ogg vorbis no longer serves any purpose in this world and they can get stuffed for suggesting it (tho thats already been true since opus was standardized...).

i was excited, then i saw that AC4 is part of the ATSC 3.0 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_AC-4

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do people really store their lossy audio in some turbonerd format instead of mp3 lel

i download flac just to transcode to aac using ffmpeg -c:a libfdk_aac

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
you can buy legal flacs, i never did but that's in the past and i just use spotify now

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

its real bad that tvs still come set up with overscan by default, it looks like real garbo

my tv has uncorrectable overscan, no menu options at all

i did figure out it will display correctly if it has an hdmi signal without sound

so laptop >hdmi cable> TV = overscan with sound
but laptop > displayport to dvi > dvi2hdmi > hdmi cable > TV = no overscan and no sound

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
wouldn't that be the same as setting your tv to "vivid" or some other bullshit setting

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
i thought 4:2:2 was bad and 4:4:4 is better because the numbers are bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
if your tv doesn't have displayport just gtfo