Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

now make it amber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

isn't mpv just a fork of mplayer, which is almost 20 years old at this point?

ya

p. sure its bad but i use it because i remember the buttons, it doesn't have a mess of an interface like vlc, but much like vlc it just happily plays whatever it gets

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it never ceases to amaze me that possers can shoehorn LF into virtually any topic. "hey guys let's talk about this one category of computer file formats" turns into "hm have u considered how capitalism psychologically influences children"

yeah, because lets loving unironically talk about file formats. lets just write post after post with serious content about laying out bits ~just so~, in our free time, because that is surely important and entertaining

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

gaming guy talking hdr was p. interesting http://c0de517e.blogspot.co.za/2017/02/tonemapping-on-hdr-displays-aces-to.html

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

p. sure if you can't tell that it is hdr then your dr is not h enough. the best way to judge the quality of the hdr is what spf you need to watch a movie on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this is quality

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spirited away is a legit good movie (though with common ghibli problem of not really having the story do much other than deus ex machina out of everything at the end), just go with naruto fansubs to round out the post

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as i continue to only ever watch movies on airplane seatback monitors i now and then lend the people like pagancow a though, who did the fantastic job of carefully formatting and reencoding the movie for this high-tech device

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

longview posted:

29.97, like most things in broadcasting is a 50 year old hack that we're stuck with because legacy

this is also why interlace and overscan is a thing, but that least those are going away now

what i don't get is why european broadcasters who show american 24p content do pal speedup without pitch correction, i get that it was hard to do until the 90s but these days a washing machine processor can do that poo poo in real time

the deep secret here is that human perception adapts very easily to consistent errors like that

it is why hd was a success, and hdr likely will be as well, while actually having colors anything approaching calibrated remains a completely irrelevant matter (for everyone but the guy establishing the baseline to keep it consistent). more information makes things better, the information being systematically off is not important.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the secret to improving those movies with hdr is that they just blind the viewer with retina-searing brightness within the first few seconds, leaving them blessedly unable to view the rest of thee movie

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pagancow posted:

Dolby claimed in some interview that users wanted it to be over 20,000 nits in testing, but they settled on 10,000 because it reasonably fits into 10-bpc without banding.

wait, isn't the entire point of it being a bunch of standards that it is on a curve? i would have thought that you would need only very sparse steps (and with that fractions of bits) above 10,000 nits? or can people actually differentiate much on that end of the scale?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i legit thought that human vision was such that you'd need very very few points on that curve as you headed into the very bright range, to the point where you could just push stuff off exponentially. i have no motivation for *why* that would be (beyond a sense that artifacting in very dark areas used to be very noticeable in ye olde encodes) though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, so the mystery then is who was cheap enough to decide to go 8 -> 10 bpc when 12 bpc would have been the correct choice. thanks for the info

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pagancow posted:

Dolby Vision will be code for "more than a million dollars per finished minute" therefore are worth your time

is that necessarily the case? i mean, i have to imagine, that while no doubt lambasted as a complete waste in *this* thread, hdr will eventually end up rolling out on stuff like cheap youtube shows which have enough post-production done that they can quickly tweak it into sanity (e.g. clamp it out of any scene where it'd otherwise look too terrible, leave it in when it makes content a bit more lively), but i guess dolby vision is really just for stuff where you have many expensive pro post-production hours to spend then?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

myself i don't watch movies at all anymore, waiting until the billion dollars per finished minute ones roll around

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

you are using the word "encryption" like its a magical incantation, would you reasonably expect a hacker which got onto the machines where the, possibly encrypted movie, is worked on to not largely immediately get all they need to also decrypt it?

the intern example is even more notorious, how are you going to have the intern work on anything even tangentially relating to the movie without it being a situation where they could potentially get at it?

from having worked in banking it is sort of recurring that people like to, without thinking them through at all, imagine all kinds of safeguards which are entirely impractical when you need people to actually work with the stuff. i do not imagine, at all, that movie production has any better means of keeping the data from their employees.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

this idea of an employee walking off with it is i think mostly controlled by risk/reward, beyond internet points your'd struggle to earn anything from walking out with the content, and while security likely isn't that well thought through, there is probably enough unknowns to make losing your job and getting prosecuted a very real possibility

to take the bank example it was clearly possible to make it out with stuff like customer holdings and even tunneling out real-time information on trading and so on, but e.g. the default workstation setup set off alarms when a usb key was inserted, and while it was trivial to work around you get to asking yourself what other alarms may actually exist (besides, people did get caught by the usb key check), and mostly the information, while on paper valuable, is the sort which you need to be very high up the foodchain to make actual money off of (and thus all the less likely to want to risk your place in the foodchain)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on the topic of vesa, is there any place to see an open spec/implementation of dsc (as implemented in hdmi)? got to be a bit nudge-nudge about it i figure, but surely an actually accurate implementation is on a github somewhere anyway. got a bit curious about the specifics on the more lossy parts of the compression, but not curious enough to pay vesa for the spec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that aside though there are going to be some awesome surreal art films in hdr in time as well

• Locked thread