Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
what projector do I buy

preferably one with lasers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
or just drop $600 on the Nikon P900

getting rid of all the chromatic aberration doesn't matter as much as long as you can get footage of a dope deal from 2 blocks away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-0X3xJf-kg

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Mad Wack posted:

are we still sharing how we listen to music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8V3mIL0EXc

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Only 2 months until NAB guys

Super-hyped for Blackmagic to release yet another camera whose features solely consist of "record" and "show audio levels"

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I miss going to NAB. One year I found a vuln in one companies products, the engineer there didn't give a gently caress when I demoed it to them in person, so a filed and got a CVE.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

ok its obvious youre on a budget because Youtube wont be paying you for a few years but

first you're going to need to get this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1134579-REG/canon_0635c002_eos_c300_mark_ii.html

And since you're going to want to mount this above your 24" TN ~1-.,GaMeR,.1'`~ monitor you'll need this to clamp to it:https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/581220-REG/Manfrotto_155_Double_Ball_Joint.html

And you'll need a wide lens since it's not going to be far from your face but you still want bokeh
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/913668-REG/canon_8325b001_cn_e_14mm_t3_1_l.html

yo gently caress B&H they are a lovely company. Buy your stuff from Adorama if you're in NYC.

They had a really good deal to build out their warehouse facility in the Navy Yard, and then right when their workers were tired of their bullshit and started talking about unionizing they immediately move it to NJ.
last year the feds filed a lawsuit against them for being racist and their response was to offer to pay a $120k settlement.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

in a world...where numbers don't matter

one man, will stand up for the TITS

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
LG inexplicably rebranded HDR10 to HDR Pro for no good reason other than to confuse people and make them less likely to buy their TV because well this Xbox works with HDR10 and this doesn't have that. guess I better buy a safnsung.

we have to pay licensing fees for HDR

so if we make our own HDR, people will have to pay us!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

just wait until you see a calibrated rec.709 next to a 4,000 nit display in a best buy. It will move TVs

people overwhelmingly bought TVs at Best Buy that had motion interpolation demoed so guess what is enabled by default now

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

Just suck it up and get davinici resolve. You wont get any color management until you buy some hardware.

use ffmpeg CLI to convert any dogshit formats you have to real ones that Resolve supports.

The free version of DaVinci Resolve is a disgustingly good deal - the real things you get if you pay $300 (used to be $1000, used to be $30,000) are multi-GPU support, >UHD export, noise reduction, and the ability to have multiple people working on the same project simultaneously. Woo.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Linguica posted:

wait was the davinci resolve thing a real suggestion. i thought it was pagancow pagancowing

Yeah he is - they've taken what was previously just a color correction app (albeit very good) and tacked on editing. Originally it was about as good as you'd expect it to be, but now it's getting to be surprisingly decent. If you're actually editing for anything real you'll still want to do Avid/Premiere.

I wouldn't say that this is a 'broken clock twice day' situation but pagancow is pretty much this: technically right on average but the getting there is insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBzHm2fqHE

Blackmagic's business strategy is apparently 'wait for some pro A/V company to nearly go bankrupt, bail them out, actually finance their product development' and surprisingly this actually works well, because you can still charge comical amounts of money for hardware as opposed to even 'pro' software. lol if you think someone's gonna color correct a TV series with a MacBook Pro and an iPad as a control surface when the budgets currently exist to support post houses that cost 4 and 5 figgies per hour.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 11, 2017

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
is there a commonly-accepted reason why The Scene has not standardized on HEVC yet? I’m guessing it’s just because dumpster hardware doesn’t have hardware decoding support yet

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Last Chance posted:

because "the scene" is notoriously slow in changing their ways? some of them were still splitting movies up into chunks that would fit on CD-Rs in the early 2010s

SD things get put into MP4 containers, everything else into MKV because

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Option A
here's this codec which costs x dollars to use and has hardware support so customers can watch for an extended amount of time and view more ads

Option B
here's a codec which costs $0 but might cost 2x possibly more, and requires a development cost of >$0 to support oh and might have hardware support in like 4 years

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Pioneer Kuro Plasma

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I torrent all my blu-ray rips then Archive them on LTO tapes

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
just give me the red mags out of the camera

I'll cut my own copy together.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

univbee posted:

baby got FLAC

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

univbee posted:

hdcp is amazingly dumb given how easy it is to bypass

Boxes which downgrade HDCP 2.0 to very-easily stripped 1.4 have been ruled to not be in violation of the DMCA because no actual encryption is broken.

Jimmy Carter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 7, 2017

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is there a price floor for dolby vision displays? like do the specs basically necessitate better tech and materials, or will we see even cheapo displays with it eventually

you can get DoVi sets from TCL for like $650

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I just signed up for MoviePass

it’s gonna be great for next 3 months before they run out of cash. Gonna see all the NC-17 films I can on VC money.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgBH_UoTu_U

movies going to suck becuase raised black levels and not shot in 8k

have there been any major films released which were shot and mastered in 8K?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was shot in 8K but VFX and mastering were at 2K

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
The answer is, as always, Sony has a random model for you

https://www.sony.com/electronics/cyber-shot-compact-cameras/dsc-rx0

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

josh04 posted:

also man, hi-8. i transferred a bunch of hi-8 tapes earlier this year and they are a bad, bad format.

I think there's still a couple of 767s which are close to retirement that have Hi-8 decks for inflight movies because it didn't make financial sense to put "modern" inflight systems in them.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ALDS Postseason branding package looks like someone left one of the component video cables unplugged on a plasma TV circa 2006

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Doc Block posted:

digital video existed but it was really expensive and still looked worse than 16mm film. a digital video camera that allowed the same control over the image as a movie camera (manual focus, swappable lenses, manual exposure, etc) was way more expensive than renting a 16mm film camera and still looked worse.

but none of these students were complaining about any of that. just that film was “too hard.”

it’s always been about learning about the limitations of things and how to work with it.
you still gotta get a grip truck to light stuff with film or digital (unless you’re that guy who covertly shot a movie at Disney World). Sound is still sound.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

hahahahahahahahhahahahahhagahaha

did they also use the canon profile that does that aggressive s curve to make blacks and whites pop?

it’s an open secret that Disney is sitting on a 4K restoration of the original, un-specialialized trilogy

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Munkeymon posted:

what is the deal with foveon? I remember reading about them in a magazine back when I read magazines and I assumed that technology was everywhere now. is it all the money to license or super loving hard to make the sensors or what?

They got bought by Sigma and they still churn out a few cameras here and there. You can get an image that is a ~40 megapixel equivalent out of a $1200 body, instead of having to drop $3-4k. It'll be sharp af, but the tradeoff is that it's worse at low light, dynamic range, speed, and focusing compared to the big boys. Good for shooting landscapes (maybe portraits), but that's mostly it.
It lets you win any arguments about who has the most hipster camera.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
yo pro tip: you can go to the Sony Experience in NYC and they’ll just let you borrow any camera body and 2 lenses for free for the day. The only things they didn’t have were the A7R III and the RX0.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
more bits = better than

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The_Franz posted:

well, everyone was wondering what they were going to do regarding hdmi 2.1 supporting variable refresh

i don't think that people expected them to go "gently caress it, we'll make our own large gsync displays" though

TV taxes can be weird in some areas. Like, it has an HDMI port = it's a TV, but DisplayPort = it's a monitor (and a computer peripheral and thus taxed lower). There can also be taxes based on screen size, which is why you'll see HDMI ports on EU SKUs (watching TV on a smaller-sized computer monitor more popular there) but not US, since you're paying a per-port licensing fee and everyone watches on their 65-inch class Vizio they got from wal-mart.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
if you're truly a hardcore video user, your NLE is going to be an install of FFMPEG and a hand-crafted bash script.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

carry on then posted:

"i call this gun the FRAMERIPPER"

Big loving GOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER