Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which New England state will be your lover?
Maine (beautiful, outdoorsy, minor drug habit)
New Hampshire (kind of weird but nice, minor drug habit)
Vermont (really gorgeous hippy, likes to ski and smoke weed)
Massachusetts (bossy beach babe)
Rhode Island (tiny and loud, minor gambling habit)
Connecticut (tsundere)
View Results

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
New England is ok. People are pretty chill I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
Seer of millions of years
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I am the lord of eternity
I feel
I perceive
I am in the utchat in it's closing
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
I go in and I come to life
People suck and I want to die.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Khorne posted:

We also have:
-our drivers are alright

lol

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I heard New England is full of paper mills and Somalis

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
Providence is pretty dope, tbh

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

yea providence is a legit cool city

I would also say New haven is a really great city for its size despite a relatively high crime rate

most of the other cities in southern New England are not so great

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

East coast = least coast. Your women are fat and pasty. Your climate sucks. Your "mountains" are little pissbitch things that aren't even mountains. Your "GOAT" quarterback is a tool factory. Your accents suck. Your fishing industry is unsustainable and a sham.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine
gently caress the pats, heil NY

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

scrubs season six posted:

East coast = least coast. Your women are fat and pasty. Your climate sucks. Your "mountains" are little pissbitch things that aren't even mountains. Your "GOAT" quarterback is a tool factory. Your accents suck. Your fishing industry is unsustainable and a sham.

sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the US!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I heard New England is full of paper mills and Somalis

My town has a paper mill but at least it's not like one of those smelly paper mills two towns over.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

nooneofconsequence posted:

My town has a paper mill but at least it's not like one of those smelly paper mills two towns over.

My friend's dad was motivated to go yo college and make something of himself because he hated living next to one of the smelly mills.

ra tehuti
Feb 9, 2017
Thoth is protecting
my flesh entirely
I am Ra
day every
is my name
traveling twice
along the way of
Horus the Judge

I feel
I perceive
I exist by it's strength
I come forth and I shine

Hector Beerlioz posted:

to go yo college

Is that like a college in the 'hood, or something?

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJtiepwpKFw

shed a tear for our whalers, lost at sea off cape hatteras

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
https://youtu.be/FSvNhxKJJyU

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

free hubcaps posted:

best pizza in the mystic area imo

Pizza Palace in Groton yo, at least once upon a time. Their grinders simply had no equal, but if you ask for one outside of NE, people look at you funny.

Content:

THE ENTIRE FIREARMS INDUSTRY.
Submarines
Accents that are half Brooklyn, half Brookline
Streets that are 8 feet wide
Houses that are 8 feet wide
Swamp Yankees
Box o' whole belly clams at the beach
New [insert town in England here]. No New Newcastle, tho
Stop & Shop
Towns that end in "antic."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hmmm compelling, and ive been to Boston, but Im gonna have to go with Des Moines.

Pro: wont loving die trying to cross the street
Can get food orher than Dunkin Donuts.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Marv Hushman posted:

Pizza Palace in Groton yo, at least once upon a time. Their grinders simply had no equal, but if you ask for one outside of NE, people look at you funny.

Content:

THE ENTIRE FIREARMS INDUSTRY.
Submarines
Accents that are half Brooklyn, half Brookline
Streets that are 8 feet wide
Houses that are 8 feet wide
Swamp Yankees
Box o' whole belly clams at the beach
New [insert town in England here]. No New Newcastle, tho
Stop & Shop
Towns that end in "antic."

A lot of these are Connecticut specific, good stuff. I forgot about the defense industry! Our tiny rear end state has Sikorsky, electric boat, plus colt, marlin, and Winchester, to name but a few. Also I'm more of a clam fritter/big y guy myself

I've driven by pizza palace many times but have never tried their pizza. Valentino's up in ledyard makes a mean pie too.

I live between saybrook and Middletown now and there is a small chain called da Vinci in the area that makes really good thin crust also

vvv oddly enough (or maybe totally sensibly) subway was founded in Bridgeport. Our preferred moniker for subs could have gone national but noooo they had to go with clever wordplay

I remember when I went to college in Pennsylvania, everyone laughed and thought I was weird for calling subs grinders, then proceeded to call them hoagies. Lol.

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 9, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

free hubcaps posted:

A lot of these are Connecticut specific, good stuff. I forgot about the defense industry! Our tiny rear end state has Sikorsky, electric boat, plus colt, marlin, and Winchester, to name but a few. Also I'm more of a clam fritter/big y guy myself

I've driven by pizza palace many times but have never tried their pizza. Valentino's up in ledyard makes a mean pie too.

I live between saybrook and Middletown now and there is a small chain called da Vinci in the area that makes really good thin crust also

People say the Green Onion in Lisbon is good pizza but I don't much see it. Oakdale has a better pizza place. However in CT we have Hartford which is a loving lovely rear end city of lovely poo poo poo poo. And Connecticon which is a nerd convention that manages to be hilariously inept while still massive. Connecticon sucks I don't recommend it.

Sadly Grinders as a term is dying out thanks to chains taking over. Subways and poo poo. Also RIP Bradlees, Ames, Caldor, and Zayre. Walmarts and Targets as far as the eye can see. :smith:

Edit: loving hell. How many SA GBSers are from SECT anyhow? It shocks me there is anyone besides me and not a half dozen or so of us!

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 9, 2017

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Spiderjelly posted:

I lived in Providence for about six years and it's a good town that I still love, but living there makes you feel really isolated which is why I left. It's a nice city ringed by a hellscape of southern New England awfulness.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I grew up in ct, lived in Maine a bunch of years and now I'm back in ct and new England really is the greatest. Eastern ct specifically

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Clam fritters are great, the Republican town committee booth at the fair here made the best ones but I haven't been to a fair in a few years.

There's a family owned place nearby that sells whole belly clams that has been in business since 1925 or so, really great stuff.

CT is also known for its tobacco and is generally regarded as producing the finest broadleaf tobacco which is used in wrapping.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

EX250 Type R posted:

I grew up in ct, lived in Maine a bunch of years and now I'm back in ct and new England really is the greatest. Eastern ct specifically

Whenever I go up to bradley I always love seeing the old tobacco sheds in Windsor. I grew up in Preston and recently have been exploring the state more, I really love the quiet corner, lots of cool, small historic towns up there and great hiking. I've actually been thinking of joining the Last Green Valley recently which seems like a good organization to be a part of.

E: also if you like plants at all Logee's in Danielson is loving awesome,

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 9, 2017

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

From what I've read Maine sounds like my kind of dumpy shithole.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Spiderjelly posted:

Even though I poo poo talked RI drivers, people from providence don't end up in MA that often it's just all the old people from the rest of the state who do. Providence is pretty alright. The only people who don't believe that think they drive too fast or too aggressively and are the problem drivers themselves.

scrubs season six posted:

East coast obesity rate: notably lower than the rest of the US. Some parts of the fishing industry (lobster/conch/most state ran fisheries) are sustainable. Some other parts aren't.

Okay, montana and colarado have us beat. Those are both okay states anyway. California has us beat by 0.1%. That's not a lot of percent for obesity rate, especially when one side spends 6 months of the year indoors and the other lives in permanent summer time, and is likely within the margin of error of the survey data.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 9, 2017

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Wallace Stevens once broke his hand on Ernest Hemingway's jaw and also wrote some good poetry while simultaneously being Vice President of The Hartford. I.e. a pretty cool dude.

Wallace Stevens posted:

The houses are haunted
By white night-gowns.
None are green,
Or purple with green rings,
Or green with yellow rings,
Or yellow with blue rings.
None of them are strange,
With socks of lace
And beaded ceintures.
People are not going
To dream of baboons and periwinkles.
Only, here and there, an old sailor,
Drunk and asleep in his boots,
Catches tigers
In red weather.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Khorne posted:

Okay, montana and colarado have us beat. Those are both okay states anyway.

I'm guessing you're really into meth and/or the Air Force.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm guessing you're really into meth and/or the Air Force.
Montana has a lot of cool wilderness and a low population density. It automatically gets a pass.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Captain Rufus posted:

People say the Green Onion in Lisbon is good pizza but I don't much see it. Oakdale has a better pizza place. However in CT we have Hartford which is a loving lovely rear end city of lovely poo poo poo poo. And Connecticon which is a nerd convention that manages to be hilariously inept while still massive. Connecticon sucks I don't recommend it.

Sadly Grinders as a term is dying out thanks to chains taking over. Subways and poo poo. Also RIP Bradlees, Ames, Caldor, and Zayre. Walmarts and Targets as far as the eye can see. :smith:

Edit: loving hell. How many SA GBSers are from SECT anyhow? It shocks me there is anyone besides me and not a half dozen or so of us!

Uh you're totally eating at the wrong places. Luna? Grinders. Joe's Pizza? Grinders. Portabello's? Grinders. Other pizza place we no longer go to? Grinders.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Our weather is wonderful, snow in may and 80 degrees in december, why just yesterday it was 50 degrees and today we're getting 16 inches of snow! Good times!

Pizza in massachusetts is real good. Real good pizza here. Place in billerica has a Texas cowboy pizza that is guaranteed to put you in a food coma, it's steak tips, grilled chicken, bacon, and barbecue sauce with extra cheese.
Yeah like what the gently caress idiot massachusetts drivers are the literal worst, we are defined by our bad drivers

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
New England kind of sucks because it doesn't have many good open-air drug markets like California. Cali had places where you could go buy drugs at 3am and get whatever you wanted and you didn't even have to make a phone call.

Apparently New England has a terrible opiate crisis but I can't really find any reliable ones.

And Boston is an alright city but it's nightlife kind of blows. Everything closes at like, midnight.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

From what I've read Maine sounds like my kind of dumpy shithole.

Everything 15 miles or less from the coast is either a nice upper-middle class town (or UPPER UPPER UPPER CLASS! Kennebunk has some crazy mansion compounds) or a somewhat tacky/trashy beach town (but still alright). Once you're away from the coast it's white trash as gently caress though.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 9, 2017

dk2m
May 6, 2009
maine is one of the most confusing states i've visited. some areas feel like canada, others feel like alabama

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I pooped in a lobsters mouth then watched a Imax movie at jordan furniture

RIP CHRIS KYLE
Mar 25, 2009

i love you billy.
FRANK PEPES

RIP CHRIS KYLE
Mar 25, 2009

i love you billy.
harvard, yale, dartmouth, and also some schools for your lesbian daughters

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
New England would be so much better if it weren't filled with massholes.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

FlimFlam Imam posted:

New England would be so much better if it weren't filled with massholes.

massholes as a concept is pretty dumb really. Its just pussy new englanders wanting to feel like a tough town of badass shitheads that dont give a gently caress, but really everyones super polite and pussyish here. Pussys arent assholes

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Massholes are the dangerous driver type or the openly aggressive but backs down super hard when confronted type

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Captain Invictus posted:

Massholes are the dangerous driver type or the openly aggressive but backs down super hard when confronted type

Always seem to be driving big ford sedans or BMWs these days for some reason.

I'd say the drivers from Boston have mellowed out over the past ten years or so.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know massachusetts drivers seem pretty par for the course. You haven't been to New Jersey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008

free hubcaps posted:

Also Worcester is a cool town, I've seen many a metal show at the palladium

The Palladium is phenomenal but Worcester's best feature is the random sections of unpaved road scattered throughout the city.

• Locked thread