Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

icantfindaname posted:

so what actually is the solition to fixing bad public schools full of poor black people? i'm guessing the answer is there is none, without somehow fixing the poverty first right? may as well ask again in a new thread

You pretty much have to improve the SES of these areas to get much improvement out of these schools. A few charters that cherry-pick and cheat will outperform urban schools but the public education system has a different goal.

There'll be a lot of guff about teacher quality but paying fast-food manager level wages to master's educated people is not going to attract the best and brightest to the positions and this is with unions in play. Imagine how poo poo it's going to be when the NEA gets broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

icantfindaname posted:

what does 'SES' mean?

socio-economic status.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

on the left posted:

Explain the societal benefit of dropping 70k/year on special ed for a single student. I'm assuming we will never see any of that money back in the form of income taxes.

If you really believe our public education system should be survival of the fittest, equal money doesn't make sense. You should probably drop out the bottom 50% of each class at each grade level and spend the money on whoevers left. They are probably the 'best' investments.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

on the left posted:

It's odd that the demands for equal funding only go in one direction, towards the weakest and most marginalized groups. Almost as if demands for equality are being used to advance a true agenda that would be deeply unpopular if revealed in the current political climate.

Perhaps we should cut all rural education. They are extremely inefficient schools and the money could be better used on the select few.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BigFactory posted:

Do you think that 2008 Department of Labor report is wrong? It shows teachers working less than other professionals.

Teaching is some of the lowest salary:education there is which makes it a very unattractive profession for talented people.

When a 'reformer' talks about how teachers suck and the solution is to slash their pay, take a big drink of johnnie walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Shbobdb posted:

Looking back on college, I have to say there is some truth in the "lazy teacher" myth. It's an anecdotal sampling, obviously, but let's be academic and call it "ethnography".

I've got 8 total. 6 are just burnouts who couldn't crack their major so they ended up opting for the teaching route. 1 is totally devoted and just loves the poo poo out of kids and is amazing. 1 is also totally devoted and loved the poo poo out of kids which is why they are now in safely kept away from kids in jail.

That's not that far off from most careers. A small percentage wants it and is all about it. Most just kinda fell into it and are making it work. And on the opposite extreme, some are trying to exploit it for some creepy reason (real or imagined).

The 6/8 people that fell into it. These people talk about a "passion for education" but they obviously don't give a loving poo poo. They are just trying to get through their day like everybody else.

So what?

Yeah, the problem with the teaching profession is that it's the easiest profession to get into off of a college education but it also pays poorly which means people who could be doing something else probably won't do teaching. The glut of teachers makes it a very hard field to get into unless you're committed to it early.

I'm not sure the problem is "teachers are bad" though. Most people in any profession are indifferent to their work.

It's always very strange to me that people who talk like that's a problem think the solution is reducing teacher pay, increasing their working hours, and removing/reducing their benefits. If you want quality personnel, you have to pay for it. It's the same as in any other industry. If you can't afford that, you need to improve the management and make the tasks easier. Someone's gotta get paid.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 19, 2017

• Locked thread