Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Accretionist posted:

Any research or personal comments on barring low-performing students from extra-curriculars?

I just googled a couple articles and it looks ambiguous.

My childhood was terrible and it affected my grades. Access to after-school activities would've been a god send.

Consequently, I'm biased toward eliminating academic requirements for sports, drama, chess clubs, etc. and it looks like participation in such activities is generally neutral or contributive to student performance.

Eh, After-School programs vary greatly as well. I work for one for a Middle School in a Minority Majority area and getting these kids to participate in any of the activities my group had planned is like pulling teeth. At times, it feels more like daycare where students threaten to get me fired for daring to ask them to put their phone away. I feel for you teachers. I really do.

Okuteru fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

BigFactory posted:

Wouldn't it be different if we had a more robust junior college system in the us?

That would require a change in the public mindset of seeing Junior colleges as more than backup plans for students too poor or dumb to attend "real" college.

• Locked thread