Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

on the left posted:

Explain the societal benefit of dropping 70k/year on special ed for a single student. I'm assuming we will never see any of that money back in the form of income taxes.

Oh indeed. What a poor investment giving special ed kids access to services and equipment necessary for the best quality of education they can recieve. I mean, what kind of returns can we possibly expect from that? Especially since the dollar value of individuals is all that matters!

Wait, on second thought gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

on the left posted:

It's odd that the demands for equal funding only go in one direction, towards the weakest and most marginalized groups. Almost as if demands for equality are being used to advance a true agenda that would be deeply unpopular if revealed in the current political climate.

Hahahaha. The sinister agenda of the disenfrachised wanting the tools for a real chance at success. Yup you uncovered the secret plot.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Money is not the answer for schools. Properly managed money is. You can't look at instances of money being spent poorly and go "see guys, cut all funding because money doesn't work."

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
You guys are spending too much time arguing with a guy who clearly sees no moral value in taking care of or educating children and has reduced the worth of entire population of young people to a dollar value. He clearly does not grasp that educators simultaneously feel an imperative to properly care for and educate children and need to be paid a fair wage to take care of themselves as well.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Zikan posted:

you can't make a simple citation

probably the fault of the us education system

If they had reduced funding to maximize society's investment he'd be a genius though.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

shovelbum posted:

And I'm arguing with a guy who thinks that a 22 year old from Stanford with no specialized training is better than a 35 year old from UVA or Berkeley with 14 years on the job and 4-6 years of laser-focused training!

Who is arguing that experienced, highly trained teachers aren't valuable?

NM: I see where the mixup occurred.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

shovelbum posted:

What happens at 0 teachers though? There's a "shortage" compared to the hideous oversaturation of workers for jobs in say, manufacturing, but not enough of one that there are 600 students or 6000 students or 60,000 students in a classroom.

How do you think teachers will all be able to afford just going "okay guys, we're not going to work for awhile."

Not saying strikes are impossible, just that typicalls strikes do not endear teachers to the public and that teachers barely making enough as it is can hardly all afford to just stop getting those checks until the country collectively decides to give them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
And it doesnt account for teachers not wanting to strike because they don't want their students to suffer in the meanwhile.

• Locked thread