Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

twodot posted:

I see at least three levels to look at problems, and the solutions for each level are probably going to be unrelated, even if solutions at one level have knock on effects elsewhere.

1) Parents want their children to receive an education that prepares them to live on their own, and schools today just don't even attempt that. Life lessons that 18 year olds desperately need are just not available. Classes that prepare you for jobs other than "go to college" are missing. Trade oriented and otherwise practical education are solutions to these problems.

2) Schools as an institution need to be supported. Overworked under-budgeted teachers will perform poorly. Poorly maintained structures probably creates a stress effect that inhibits learning. This doesn't necessarily stop any individual kid from learning any individual fact, but the school level results can be observed. Obviously correctly funding schools solves this, it's just a question of how.

3) Nationwide scores may suck globally (I haven't looked at them recently). This again doesn't really stop a school or student from being successful. You don't need to be writing intelligent analysis of Shakespeare to succeed at being a good member of society, but if nationally our students are for some reason worse at writing intelligent analysis of Shakespeare than the rest of the world, that's pretty suspicious, and forcing schools nationwide to start reading Romeo and Juliet isn't the solution. I honestly don't know the solution here, or if it's a problem even worth solving. If Americans as a society just don't culturally value reading classics maybe that's ok. Or maybe the Department of Education should host a bunch of live plays to boost interest. Regardless I'm pretty confident any solution will have a pretty attenuated value to any individual student (and therefore individual parents aren't likely to care), but that's ok if the aggregate is valuable, and the Department of Education doesn't answer to parents anyways.

Much like advertising, the goal isn't really "student takes plumbing unit -> student becomes plumber", but rather to make these roles visible in their education as viable careers. If someone takes carpentry and their three friends are taking shop, electrics, and plumbing, and their all talking about their projects, then the goal has been achieved.

I agree, but I also think part of the problem is we spend far less on people outside of the education system than countries that do better in education, while we spend more per student than they do. It's such a huge difference for a child's education when their parents can actually feed and shelter them and the child doesn't have to feel the anxiety of not knowing whether they can eat or not, and schools aren't the place to solve that problem.

also http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politics/devos-protest-at-washington-school/

quote:

(CNN)Protesters briefly blocked Education Secretary Betsy DeVos as she tried to enter a public school on Friday morning.

Demonstrators holding signs greeted DeVos when she arrived at Jefferson Middle School Academy in southwest Washington, not far from the Department of Education building.

When she headed toward the school's entrance, the protesters stood in front of her, video from CNN affiliate WJLA showed.

The video showed DeVos then turned around and walked away, with one protester walking beside her shouting, "Go back! Shame, shame" as she got into an SUV and drove off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Well that's going to make next week awkward when Gorsuch shows up for his first day on the scotus.

• Locked thread