Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Seth Galifianakis
Dec 29, 2012

Oxphocker posted:

Not exactly... the conservative playbook for schools is to apply the same sort of business thinking that the Chicago School of Economics suggests (free trade solves everything and get government regulation out of it). The voucher and school choice fight is the exact same thing. Supposedly the thought is that by being able to choose schools, parents and students can force 'bad' schools to change or lose so many students that they can't operate anymore while 'good' schools will gain enrollment. To business people this seems to make sense on the surface...except there are several factors they aren't taking into consideration:

1. Kids aren't widgets - businesses get to choose their product and when something is defective or poor quality, they send it back. Schools can't operate that way. The only ones that do are private schools. I worked at a private school once and they very clearly stated that if a student on an IEP wanted to come to the school, there were no services for them so they joined knowing they were on their own there. That will end up happening more and more if private schools start getting voucher money...either non-IEP students will drain out of the public system creating an over representation in the remaining public schools or IEP students will not be getting any services in the private schools. It will harm the students who need the help the most while benefitting very few because even the private schools are not going to be able to absorb the numbers of public students.

2. How do you qualify 'good' vs 'bad'? Test scores? Sports programs? 'Nice and easy' teachers? I'm sorry, but schools aren't fast food...you don't just go up to the counter and place your order. Schools are institutions that are being treated as if the customer is always right and it's really making the job of education much more difficult. Helicopter parents, apathetic parents, parents who will game the system, and so on...it's become more about what you can get out of the system as opposed to actually following the program because sometimes adversity and not getting your way all the time is actually a lesson unto itself. What this means for schools is a slippery slope of competition to maintain enrollment where actual hard academics will be in schools only where they don't have to worry about enrollment ever and all the other schools will be fighting over just maintaining. To do that funds will have to be diverted to more 'fun' things just to keep kids there. It's something I deal with all the time working at a small charter...we're the closest 7-12 school for 30 miles, yet there are a lot of students who travel farther to the larger schools because of sports, even though paradoxically if we had enough students we would be able to offer sports as well.

3. Well what about charters? Right now I work for a charter...but I've worked for public and private schools. Overall I'm 50/50 on charters because I think there are some that are out there for the right reasons, but many of them aren't. The whole concept of charters in kind of pointless if the various states had allowed more lab and magnet schools to be created. The tradeoff is for less regulation, there is supposed to be increased performance...but data shows it's a mixed bag. Overall charters do no better than regular public schools (yeah, there are some cherry picked examples, but we're talking aggregate here). So really it just creates a fake competition among schools that didn't need to be there in the first place and distracts from the real issues like poverty (notice I keep bringing it back to poverty). The business model doesn't care about any of that. It's all about trying to 'prove' their way is right and to show those evil teacher's unions that they shouldn't have a say in this because they are just public employees (yet forgetting that states with strong teachers unions are generally doing better than those without...). It's a political dick waving contest sadly, with kids being used as the poker chips.

This gets at a lot of the reasons the "increase competition" approach doesn't really accomplish any of the goals it's supposed to. I'm in Michigan, where the DeVos family has driven us to go all in on this approach and it's been an unmitigated disaster. The competition takes many forms but it's almost never anything that has a positive effect on student learning. Some districts go all in on building shiny new facilities to attract students, others pour money into their sports programs and allow coaches to actively recruit. Most of the districts in Michigan are too small and don't have the resources to hire marketing consultants, but it's the logical next step and you could probably justify it economically with how much funding comes with each new student. And the "customer is always right" approach, as you mention, is extremely toxic and seeps into every aspect of a school. As my former principal liked to say, "enrollment is everyone's job," and the main way we lost kids was when they failed classes, so let's make it virtually impossible to fail - sound educational philosophy right there!

My take on charters is that they're a brilliant political strategy because it lends itself to so many easy arguments that tug on the heart strings, but they're a horrible strategy if the goal is to improve the overall education system. The studies say they have a negligible effect on student performance, but the resources they drain from school districts has a huge impact that makes it virtually impossible to run a decent school once you start hemorrhaging students. You sound like an ideologue if you have a problem with charters because then you're taking away options from poor kids, and there will always be at least some charters doing legitimately innovative things. Plus it's easy to get the local news to do a 3 minute segment on a school doing something different that makes it sound like some panacea. The decreased regulations might make it marginally easier for those schools to get off the ground, but it also makes it way too easy for charlatans, quacks, and people with good intentions who just aren't qualified to run a school. But IMO the good ones that are providing some value could be just as successful under stricter oversight. I mean, if the only way they can provide a better education for the money compared to public schools is if they don't have to play by the same rules, then how is that an accomplishment? If charter advocates thought they were a real solution to systemic problems, like how they're often portrayed, they wouldn't feel compelled to gut regulations every chance they get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Galifianakis
Dec 29, 2012

Oracle posted:

I had heard that the 'new thing' being suggested was to have homework time actually be during school and learning of new material was to happen at home to encourage exploration and discovery of new things, which is inherently more interesting than rote application of said things, then if they had issues with what they learned they could bring it to school and ask. I don't remember where though, probably some buzzword like 'student led learning.'

Where I'm from they call it "flipping the classroom" and I've heard mixed reviews. It can be very effective in certain subjects, provided the teacher has the planning time in advance to make the video lectures/podcasts/assigned readings ahead of time. It doesn't translate well for all subjects though, and it breaks down if the kids don't all have internet access at home and/or the school doesn't have the tech infrastructure to maintain devices for everyone. You also still need the kid to actually do the assigned task, which is never a given, even if it's something like "watch this 15 minute video and come to class prepared to discuss it."

But at the same time, if we are talking about reducing the amount of time kids are spending on school stuff outside of school, it actually does the opposite in most cases. It almost ensures that students will have 15-20 minutes worth of homework to do in each subject each night. Just like with other deliver methods, it will not always be used most effectively by teachers in the field. Some just use it as an excuse to pile on even more homework assignments that they otherwise would have scrapped for lack of time.

Some teachers I know also worry that, taken to it's logical conclusion, this idea is another way to de-professionalize teaching, making teachers little more than tutors. It takes a huge investment of time up front by the teacher to create the course, and they may or may not have any control over how the school system uses that content.

• Locked thread