Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Quidthulhu posted:

Yeah, this is actually something I have always wondered about as well. I worked briefly for a charter school that advertised "100% college placement!," but I'm fairly certain that was fabricated because I rotated between 4 school sites on a 2 week basis, so when I would return to school sites after 6 weeks my roster would be dramatically different because kids were no longer attending. It's easy to achieve 100% placement when you only keep the kids who want to go to college and are doing well?

it's also easy to achieve 100% college placement if you take the bottom slice of kids and pressure them heavily to attend community college even if it's not in their best interest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
ah good, i wondered when someone would start calling for eugenic action against the speds

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hunt11 posted:

So should we also bar kids from disadvantaged homes as they require more resources to teach then a peer from a more stable family?

maybe let's not argue with the guy calling for locking the autistic away in closets as if he's completely sincere and not just dumping low effort trolls into the thread

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

Explain the societal benefit of dropping 70k/year on special ed for a single student. I'm assuming we will never see any of that money back in the form of income taxes.

after reading your posts, im actually starting to agree you should have been put in some kind of institution where you couldn't harm the public

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i do like the lovely troll's admission that as much as america likes to tout equality and fairness, this is in reality deeply unpopular among conservatives who pay lip service to an alleged american ideal while secretly bitching about the poors, blacks, and needy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

Most offices open at 8 but everyone's in at 7. 9 to 5's been a myth for a long time.

everyone in my office works 10 to 6

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cease to Hope posted:

For the specific issue of "why do kids in poor neighborhoods have poor educational outcomes", the property tax lottery is seriously overblown. You can't blame all of the problems of American education on the property tax lottery, because the real "problem" is that districts concentrate impoverished students in segregated groups, then presume that those districts are doing something wrong. This doesn't mean that the property tax lottery is just - it should be corrected - but it isn't the reason why the schools teaching poor students are deemed to be "failing."

The problem is that the way we evaluate schools is designed to justify white flight. A "failing school", often as not, is one that is doing its best - and a good job! - serving poor kids.

even in a large system with fairly equitable funding, individual SES segregation plays a huge part

in the atlanta public school system funding is largely equitable across districts. but schools in the largely black neighborhoods are 'failing' where they aren't in the largely white neighborhoods. this is because parents of public school children generally pay close attention to the district their kids will be placed into, and if they can they try to get into the best school possible. unfortunately, this creates bidding pressure which drives up housing prices in the 'good' districts and leaves the 'bad' districts more affordable, leading to SES sorting and segregation. this then perpetuates the myth of 'bad' schools as students in poverty are concentrated in certain districts etc. so on

it's not just funding provided to districts but rather that desirable districts attract more involved parents who have more means to intervene and support the school, and less desirable districts have trouble attracting these hands on parents and tend to see more disengaged or overwhelmed parents in poverty than you see in the rich districts

BigFactory posted:

Everyone in my office works 6:30-5? What line of business are you in?

a different one than you are

~anecdotes~

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i'm the guy who has a stick up his rear end about teachers reporting working less hours relative to other professionals in the time after students typically leave the school, look at me, look at me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

Is that debate or discussion?

is this?

anyway you're glossing over the fact that pretty much all teachers are on the job by 7am according to the thing you're pulling cites from so i'm guessing you didn't read it too hard yourself, champ. or you have a weird boner for proving teachers are lazy without actually digging through your cites to see if that's the truth lol

you're also completely ignoring, on the same page that lists avg. hours per week, that the averages includes medical/family leave as well as part time teachers (who by definition do not work 35 hours a week) so there's really no surprise that the average hours worked varies considerably by age (hmm why would younger teachers work less hours, i wonder...)

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 9, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

Point out what you're talking about.

boner confessor posted:

you're also completely ignoring, on the same page that lists avg. hours per week, that the averages includes medical/family leave as well as part time teachers (who by definition do not work 35 hours a week) so there's really no surprise that the average hours worked varies considerably by age (hmm why would younger teachers work less hours, i wonder...)

there's only one page that lists average hours per week, so you can't get lost

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

Which page is that? They're numbered.

if you can't find the correct page in an eight page report then i'm not surprised you would completely cherry pick your data and do so incorrectly lol

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

im wrong about the part time teachers btw that's not included

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shovelbum posted:

I would say that people who are already in a position to have a college degree (most a masters) should refuse to work for those wages, and should not pursue those opportunities as students. A massive teacher shortage would kind of force the issue more than grinning and bearing it does.

no, it would just cause state licensing boards to loosen standards

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

You referred me to the page with the chart about average hours worked, in a report about average working hours, and I think you failed to read the first page while you were at it.

there's two options here

you're trying to pull me into some weird rhetorical trap instead of just making your point like a big boy

you can't find a single well labeled chart in an eight page document

neither one of these options makes me want to patiently explain why you are wrong fyi

also lol that you were bitching about teachers not showing up for work early enough when later on there's a chart demonstrating that teachers by far work earlier hours than other professionals

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigFactory posted:

What are you talking about?

i'm hesitant to point out the chart i'm talking about (it's at the bottom of page 2 fyi) because i'm not sure if you're playing some bizarre game or if you sincerely can't find the chart i'm talking about, which is the only chart that talks about average hours worked per week, in a document which only has ten (10) charts total

the completely trivial nature of the task, and your refusal to put in the work, made me suspicious that you were playing at some strange argument

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

Now, hang on, people. Obviously his claim is a non-sequitur. It was clearly a ridiculous statement, completely unsupported by evidence other than his own questionable application of supposed mathematics and probability. It plainly didn't make any sense to observers.

However, even the truly insane have their own internal logic. The goal here is analysis - understanding the highly personal and bizarre thought process of this specimen's brain. How was this absurd statement birthed? What was the conception? What does it really mean? What can we learn from it? We must draw this out through questioning.

on the left is just throwing trolls at the thread to see what sticks

he tried "gently caress the special ed kids", "those who can, do" and now "if you work in a bad school it's your fault"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

I think the schools have done a lot to alienate the trades, too. Schools used to serve a pipeline to the trades. Shop class, automotive class, carpentry class, even electronics class. Where did they go and why? The schools used to work hand-in-hand with the trades. At some point, this alliance fell apart.

budget cuts and more emphasis on testing, probably

i was excited to take small engine class in high school, except by the time i was eligible they had replaced it with a print shop with big for real binding equipment and small industrial printers. which was ok i guess, but last i heard from a friend's younger brother even that was gone and it was just another study hall

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

litany of gulps posted:

Hah, because printing is a real career path, right? What does that even mean - journalism, publishing books? Does it even matter? Why do you think that happened?

Edit: It can't be budget cuts. The customer service classes have tons of computers and software, more funding than even core classes.

in the case of my school it wasn't budget cuts - all the new printers and a brand new computer lab to run them - but i went to a school district where money was effectively infinite. i think the administrators just wanted to buy some new stuff and also saw computer-related vocational tech as being more valuable than working with metal objects

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the other problem with the trades is that by necessity, shunting kids into votech programs hurts your college placement rate and these are attractive to parents

imo we just need to pump money into community colleges and use them as low intensity trade schools as well as a gap bridger for kids who are too broke or unmotivated to go to a four year school

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

on the left posted:

lol I guess I can't compete with the professional accomplishments or intellectual horsepower of a high-school english teacher

People like you are why I suppport the dismantling of the public education system

actually it's because your racist trash

thank god you wont ever have kids

Quidthulhu posted:

Are you racist too?

he's concern trolling about his hypothetical nerdlinger kids being stabbed by "bad students", what do you think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

silence_kit posted:

Settle down Beavis.

you could actually do your own research instead of lazily concern trolling, but that wouldn't produce the intended outcome i think

• Locked thread