Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Uranium Phoenix posted:

Next, while OtL isn't debating in good faith (he might believe his horrid poo poo, but he's not debating), the idea that there's some inherent "intelligence" quality is common, and most people know on some level anyone can learn things, but the internalized narrative is people are "good" or "bad" at a subject, and that's an immutable quality. Jo Boaler at Stanford has a short class (used to be online for free, but I can't find it) about how students often felt like they were either "good" at math or "bad" at it, and how both ideas destroyed their ability to get better at math. There's some genetic component to intelligence, but how good someone gets at math is far outweighed by how they practice it, and it's actually important for students to believe they can get better at something before they actually do get better at it (the article goes into more depth). This is true not just for math, but pretty much everything that can be learned.

The problem you've described in math is a part of a much larger problem in education. When parents and teachers confuse learned skills with inherent quality, they teach that same fallacy to students. You can see this in loads of studies, including the ones where students who are reminded of their race or gender before a test achieve lower scores, in studies promoting process praise, and I'd argue you see it with students with behavioral problems who start talking about how bad they are when they act like little jerks in the classroom.

Still, there is a population of students in every school with lower cognitive abilities who will achieve a smaller rate of academic growth, and who will not qualify for the small group instruction that comes with an IEP. That shouldn't be a problem, but Americans demand that a comfortable living should be denied to anyone lacking a college education, inherited wealth, or magical autodidactic abilities. As usual, schools are responsible when neo-liberal wet dreams never become real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread