Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
After skimming through this thread, I’m surprised nobody really mentioned how this is going to hit STEM yet. Unless you don’t have a life, a typical engineering program is already a 5 year degree process. Anything high schools neglect end up being carried over into college programs through courses that should have been part of their high school material to begin with.

Also lol I can’t wait for budget cuts to hit our graduate programs and cause massive brain drain. I managed to get through my Master’s degree because of NASA and the NSF. Kids entering their sophomore year right now might not get that chance.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm always shocked at how strongly SA threads about education cling to "trade schools" as a panacea for education reform. Like yeah, it seems like a neat thing some specific school districts could have that could fit in their needs but it just seems so not like a general solution.

If you don’t join a union, your wages are going to be crap. If you do join a union, you’re going to take a pay cut because for the older members. Either way forget about retiring or sending your kids to college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

Not everyone has to be an expert at everything, but I think we should aim our sights toward making sure everyone has a good, basic education that will expose them to many different fields so they can find the thing they like, and have a good base of information with which to participate in society.

If you can’t answer the basic question on why knowledge is important, then you probably shouldn’t be passing high school. That should be the bottom line. Anything else just breeds the kind of anti-intellectualism we see in modern American society.

• Locked thread