Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

on the left posted:

IQ is 80% of the answer to the first two questions, and explains why there's not much that can be done about the third.

If my kids is attacked, I want the other kid going to prison. If police won't do anything to children, I will teach my child to take things into his/her own own hands to ensure they are never attacked again by that person.

So what's the other 20%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

litany of gulps posted:

I think the schools have done a lot to alienate the trades, too. Schools used to serve a pipeline to the trades. Shop class, automotive class, carpentry class, even electronics class. Where did they go and why? The schools used to work hand-in-hand with the trades. At some point, this alliance fell apart.

14 years ago, the high school I work at had an automotive class and a shop class. Today they teach customer service classes. What happened?

Part of it is simple budgetary reasons- shop classes require specialized equipment and teachers. They're not very popular, because parents, even union parents, don't necessarily want their kids working as auto mechanics, so parents don't usually speak up to defend them. Here in Michigan, ISDs (between municipalities and counties) and RESAs (counties) handle shop classes, and their strategy has been to consolidate all classes across a set of districts or a county into a single school to save on expenses for facilities, meaning kids have to be bused around the county to attend more than basic vocational classes. Which eats up the time available for those classes.

Tracking certainly doesn't help in this regard either, where it's practiced.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

litany of gulps posted:

My own experiences...

As a student, my trades teachers were basically disrespected by administration. Treated as inferiors, but some of the most influential classes I ever took.

As a teacher, I see that my school has abolished these classes to promote "college readiness." The very largest schools in the district still have trade classes, but these are few and far between, and the schools that still maintain them are among the largest schools in the country. Which doesn't at all dispute what you say.

Collegiate academies are the model in Dallas, but these academy models offer 2-year degrees in things like criminal justice. Very specific and somewhat questionable focal points for study.

Yeah part of the problem is that trades are seen as for kids too stupid to go to college, they're relatively vulnerable targets unless they have a minimal footprint, and just about everyone would resist making them part of the standard curriculum. Also, partnering with unions would be a big advantage for trade classes but good luck getting that to happen.

on the left posted:

Trump was better at seizing opportunity and gauging the nation than an army of high-priced Democratic consultants, he has a much better predictive model and is more rational than the mainline Dem party and people like you who are doubling down on things that cause you to lose.

Do you kiss a picture of him on the lips before you go to sleep every night?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty funny but also pretty revealing that my parents are regularly stunned by how much academic work is required for my youngest sister's Culinary Arts classes.

Voyager I posted:

How do you post in D&D for years and still respond to OtL posts? Just ignore him and have real conversations.

I mean, refusing to respond to his medley of racism and Brooks Brothers Boring conservatism does leave open the question of whether he is making stunning points that those loony libz don't want you to know.

on the left posted:

If it's a nontruthful bias, surely my strategy of keeping my children out of dangerous schools will backfire spectacularly and result in self-pwn.

The truth is that the reason why people fight so hard against education positions like mine with forced integration and other similar strategies is that they acknowledge the demographic realities of school performance and want to sufficiently socialize the risk and dysfunction so that it's less noticeable.

No, we're doing it for white genocide, idiot.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Babylon Astronaut posted:

There's "cooking schools" like Le Cole or Courdon Bleu, but then there are the culinary programs of accredited colleges and universities. It's something you have to explain to people before they understand how rigorous it is. I mean seriously, go take a professional cooking 1 class, the most basic class in a program and tell me you aren't exhausted after every class. I mean, this is off topic, but it's not a horribly bigoted derail like most of the thread so whatever. I just get really pissed when people think I go jackass around in a kitchen all day and that "American Regional Cuisine," a 400 level class, is somehow easy or something they could do. I mean gently caress, we had a food science class that the head of the chemistry department complained about because it was more advanced than their organic chemistry class.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between being able to cook for yourself/a nuclear family (which a lot of people can't really do all that well, even) and cooking to the standards of even a high school culinary program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Blue-collar jobs, as opposed to pink-collar jobs, are more likely to pay a substantial wage. Of course, a lot of them have bad working conditions. There's a substantial group of carpenters, electricians, boilermakers, etc. that work gigs maybe lasting a week at a time, there's a substantial group of blue-collar workers who work 60-70 hours a week to make the high incomes people like to talk about when encouraging people to go into skilled trades, there's a decent risk of injuries, and there's the relative lack of comfort in many blue-collar jobs. So it's not surprising that although people talk about more skilled tradespeople, very few will push their own children or their local school towards it.

That's without getting into the issue of getting into steady work in the first place, how seniority can be disaffecting for younger union workers, etc. because those are a little outside the scope of education. Of course, solutions to those problems I just outlined above are a little beyond the scope of education, but in theory normalizing vocational/trade classes (or creating semi-vocational classes) will help develop pressure to improve working conditions for blue-collar/pink-collar labor.

• Locked thread