Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Oxphocker posted:

Lots of details missing there...but unless she's getting like +4 hours of work a night to do, honestly people need to grow up a bit. It's amazing how much the bar has slid in many places to like right now where I struggle getting kids to do a single assignment per week in class. Much of what I end up seeing is only justified laziness or learned helplessness..

It says this ten year old is getting 3 hours a night of homework and that the child isn't struggling academically or behind the class.

Three hours a night is too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yes I am saying that's overkill. I hope when my kid is 10 he's not spending hours at night doing homework.

sheri fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 2, 2017

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

What about college, for that matter? I had semesters where I had to read upwards of 25-30 books, plus... you know, classtime and assignments. And a loving job. When do you prepare kids for reality?

I'm on a salary and I rarely, if ever, do work outside my 40 hours a week.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

litany of gulps posted:

Teachers work approximately 40 hours a week in a building teaching, but the job doesn't end when the school bell rings to dismiss class. That's part of the job. This isn't really news to anyone, anywhere. Maybe you're a programmer and you work your 40, but when the deadline is near, you work as much as you need to work. Maybe you're a manager and someone calls in - it doesn't matter if you've put in your 40, you fill in the gap. Most jobs are like this. Do you recognize this as a basic fact of salaried pay? If so, what is the purpose of your anecdotal claim here?

My point was my job doesn't require me to put in hours of work at home every night on a regular basis, so your argument of sending kids home with hours of homework every night to prepare them for "jobs and reality" isn't the best argument.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I work in IT. I have a masters degree.

My experience may not be the norm but I think that expecting elementary school kids to do hours of homework a night should not be the norm either.

• Locked thread