Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

As a parent and an active member of the PTA, teachers work their asses off, every goddamn day. They are there at 7:30 in the morning for early drop offs. They are outside helping kids out of the cars/busses at dropoff. They are in front of 25-30 kids every weekday with one small break for 7 hours a day, not sitting at a desk playing candy crush in another window with a spreadsheet open they occasionally type in. They grade everywhere I see them. 8PM after a PTA meeting I run into teachers grading or getting something ready in their classrooms for the next day. I see them around town in coffeeshops grading. Every after school activity has to have a teacher sponsor or it doesn't happen for liability reasons. Teachers volunteer or attend every holiday pageant, talent show, science fair, coach sports, show up to weekend events, and they are always, always pitching in even if they're just there as a spectator. Without being asked. They spend their own money on school supplies, niceties for the class, treats, snacks, etc.

This does not take into consideration all the before and after school meetings, either with parents, fellow faculty, teacher training, in-service days, continuing education (which they by and large pay for yet which is required for them to keep their jobs) detention, etc etc.

And they do all this with a smile on their face and a song in their heart (or at least put on a really loving good act; they all sound like goddamn Mary Poppins or Fred Rogers when after five minutes in a classroom of noisy children I am gnashing teeth and ready to hand out detention slips).

I had no loving clue just how much work was involved in teaching until I started volunteering at my kid's school. You could not pay me enough to do their jobs. I have no idea how the ones who are both teachers and parents do it. They are criminally underpaid and I happily light into any ignorant mouth-breather who so much as dares to breathe a word of '9-3 and summers off lol dream job' in my presence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

shovelbum posted:

From a leftist perspective isn't the hideously problematic? Like everyone who becomes a teacher knows teachers endure this kind of thing if they want to keep their jobs, and still continue to sign up to perform this class-treasonous dog and pony show.
Or you know, they care more about the kids they see and are entrusted with for 7 hours a day five days a week 180 days a year than they do about your class war and would rather they not go hungry or be unable to complete an assignment because they don't have a pencil.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

shovelbum posted:

The class war and the kids not having food or pencils is kind of the same thing, and the best way to fix it is definitely not to act happy about making slave wages and being expected to serve as a backdoor welfare dispenser on top of it.
That's the thing. It is by and large not an act, its just how people who work with kids for a living are. They are definitely not happy about the wages (see: teacher strikes) or long hours but you do not go into education if you're not about putting kids first.

And what exactly would you have them do? Its not like snacks and pencils are magically going to show up if they refuse to provide them to stick it to the man. (Our PTA does cover what we can, parents also supply quite a bit of it where possible, there is some money in the school budget for such so its not like teachers are the only ones providing all this stuff they just tend to pick up the slack). Which reminds me, I need to go to the store and get some more shelf stable snacks and see if pants are on sale as the emergency supply is out since we had a handful of homeless kids join up over winter break and our school does uniforms.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I think this is the article you all are looking for regarding elementary school level homework: The research is clear, let’s ban elementary homework

quote:

For elementary-aged children, research suggests that studying in class gets superior learning results, while extra schoolwork at home is just . . . extra work. Even in middle school, the relationship between homework and academic success is minimal at best. By the time kids reach high school, homework provides academic benefit, but only in moderation. More than two hours per night is the limit. After that amount, the benefits taper off. “The research is very clear,” agrees Etta Kralovec, education professor at the University of Arizona. “There’s no benefit at the elementary school level.”

Before going further, let’s dispel the myth that these research results are due to a handful of poorly constructed studies. In fact, it’s the opposite. Cooper compiled 120 studies in 1989 and another 60 studies in 2006. This comprehensive analysis of multiple research studies found no evidence of academic benefit at the elementary level. It did, however, find a negative impact on children’s attitudes toward school.
Homework at too young an age just makes kids hate school and by extension, learning, adds stress and poisons parent/child relationships due to homework battles and generally results in overworked, undersocialized, overtired, underexercised kids who then go on to have behavioral problems in school.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I had heard that the 'new thing' being suggested was to have homework time actually be during school and learning of new material was to happen at home to encourage exploration and discovery of new things, which is inherently more interesting than rote application of said things, then if they had issues with what they learned they could bring it to school and ask. I don't remember where though, probably some buzzword like 'student led learning.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just a heads up for those in/with ties to Illinois, but the Assembly is attempting to pass Bill 213: The 'School Choice' Act, which is another attempt at getting school vouchers through. Find your state senator and tell them to oppose this bill.

• Locked thread