Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I believe the state of US education is...
Doing very well...
Could be better...
Horrendously hosed...
I have no idea because I only watch Fox News...
View Results

• Locked thread
Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

litany of gulps posted:

I think the schools have done a lot to alienate the trades, too. Schools used to serve as a pipeline to the trades. Shop class, automotive class, carpentry class, even electronics class. Where did they go and why? The schools used to work hand-in-hand with the trades. At some point, this alliance fell apart.

14 years ago, the high school I work at had an automotive class and a shop class. Today they teach customer service classes. What happened?

It's really hard to find a good trades teacher who knows what he's doing. When our auto guy retired we had all of two applicants, and one turned the job down when he heard the salary. The other guy was like 22 and left after a year for an industry job that paid better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread