Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
Upcoming poo poo

Check http://www.teamliquid.net/ for specific dates, times, and stream links (my dates are for Korea), but as a quick thumbnail:

September 10- ??: Afreeca Starleague 4- After Blizzard delayed poo poo for dumb reasons, the main league is finally back! And probably it will all be in HD! But it won't be on twitch!

Where we are and how we got here

So Star Craft Brood War, arguably the first major E-sport, is kinda back in Korea. With the collapse of the Korean SC2 professional apparatus, many of the former progamers have been returning to Brood War. The Afreeca Starleague in June 2016 proved to be an unexpected hit. Things really blew up when the four top players of all time, Stork, Flash, Bisu, and Jaedong, commonly known collectively as TBLS, came back and generated massive interest. The most recent starleague, the ASL2, saw a lot of really great games, and its semi-finals match between Flash and Jaedong apparently got 500,000 viewers. 2017 promises to have even more content.

What's going to be interesting is seeing if/how the scene continues to develop. Currently all players are officially "amateurs" who make their living by streaming. TBLS and a select few others are pulling in the big bucks, but less famous players are struggling for views. There isn't a lot of new blood coming into the scene, and what is coming doesn't have the benefit of a development system. And TBLS have yet to do their mandatory military service, and some wonder how things will fair without them. But things aren't all doom and gloom. The idea of there being a broadcasted "team league" would have been outrageous 8 months ago. KT Telecom, one of the biggest E-sports sponsors in Korea, has been putting in some decent dough into BW, and there's always a chance that their eternal rival SKT will want a slice of the action. The original Brood War scene started and grew fairly organically because people were interested in the game; many wonder if it could happen again. And there have been rumors of a HD remaster...

Remastered is real!
It's hard to say how the new remaster will affect things, but so far the folks at Blizzard seem to be making the effort to ensure that things are changed too drastically. Still, since the happy accident that is BW's current state is balanced on a razor's edge, even little things like customization hotkeys could make a huge difference. EDIT: It's out! It seems pretty good, but only time will tell! I've heard a few rumblings that there are some glitches (Stork claimed that his shuttle glitched out and he had to click on each unit's wireframe to unload them), but for the time being Remastered will be the tourney standard

It seems the all of the previous ALS can be found here, cast by Tasteless and Artosis. If you aren't familiar with Brood War, they keep stuff pretty basic.

I wanna play!
Now with Remastered out you too can join the Fish server and get clowned on by NEET Koreans. Or you can be a real champion and play UMS. But I wicked suck at playing so I ain't gonna give you any tips.

So yeah, this is a Brood War thread in 2017th Year of Our Lord and Savior Flash

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer Hall Putz
Sep 10, 2005

Unpleasent snacking
The Sea vs Flash games made me do a sex wee.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

The brood war resurgence has been the only good thing in the past year and I'm so glad it's happening. Setting an alarm at 5am to watch Flash v Jaedong a few weeks ago was definitely worth how miserable I was at work that day.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Clan match has started at http://play.afreecatv.com/afstar1

Sorry, no English stream I guess

E: VOD Here Maybe not peak level games but a fun, silly set that saw almost every race matchup. Surprised that NeOx lost because they have way more player talent, but moo had been preparing really hard and its members need the money more, so I'm glad it turned out the way it did

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 14, 2017

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Enjoying Flash vs. Sea immensely after not watching the pro scene in years... great post for a long AMTRAK ride.

I know hotkeys and opening builds from 15 years ago, I still play War3 ladder for shits and giggles but man do I miss this game.

If anybody else is in the old man boat of "knowing the game but incredibly out of practice" let's play some lovely 1v1s sometime.

edit: do pros use the default hotkeys? I know in DotA, etc. they re-map hardcore. I have a feeling that BW players don't really need to customize keys though - 1a2a3a4a5a6a7a....

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Pretty sure hotkey mods are banned in every major tournament. If you want a [P]robe, you gotta take the trip across the keyboard.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Zorodius posted:

Pretty sure hotkey mods are banned in every major tournament. If you want a [P]robe, you gotta take the trip across the keyboard.

I thought so; in fact, I don't even know if custom hotkeys are easily possible in BW (unlike war3).

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.

Elephunk posted:

I thought so; in fact, I don't even know if custom hotkeys are easily possible in BW (unlike war3).

They're not supported through the game, but it would be pretty easy to set up with Autohotkey or whatever.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
ASL Team league has started! You can watch on https://www.twitch.tv/gsl for the usual GSL crew or on http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2 for BisuDagger and FlashFTW who are little more up on current BW meta and are slightly (although not as much as TL says) more accurate in knowing whats going on and you don't have to deal with Rapid, who I think of as Reddit given flesh

Game Three of this serious they do a 2v2, which had just died when I started watching back in the day

E: Verdict of 2vs2, silly and hilarious

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 18, 2017

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I guess thats why double zerg is banned in 2vs2.
Edit: devourers and valks being built? :stare:

Iretep fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 18, 2017

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
if that was a survival mission, Last totally got a gold medal time

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
The craziest thing about tonight, outside of seeing a 2v2 or SkyZerg v Valks, is seeing Effort smile

Back in the day he was like Jaedong is looking like he wanted to kill and eat his opponent 24/7

Some people on TL are bitching that the games haven't been tip-top level, but BisuDagger said something I really agree with: After watching years of the super high pressure pro scene, it's really cool to watch these players obviously having fun

E: Jesus Christ loving Flash so drat broken

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 18, 2017

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Iretep posted:

Edit: devourers and valks being built? :stare:

that was a cool match

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
A 5Rax+1 push from Flash is so absurbly op a.t.m. I don't know how Jaedong got 2 games off him in that semi.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
This GSL 2v2 is fuckin' amazing

*1v2

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Light playing the hot new UMS map, "sunken defense and observer genocide"

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SC2 competitive was so disappointing, long live SC1

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

SC2 competitive was so disappointing, long live SC1

Tastosis GSL coverage has been wonderful, but yeah it never became the phenomenon that is/was Brood War.

Klazart's YouTube English language VODs got me into Brood War back in the day. An HD remaster with pro casters would be pretty cool. For now, I'll stick with whatever SC coverage that Tastosis and a few, select casters produce.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
SpoTV announced that they'll be doing a tourney featuring both BW and SC2

The BW portion is smaller it seems ,but if nothing else, I think it's a good thing that BW won't be totally centered around Afreeca (although they are still in the drivers seat).

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

While searching for footage, I found this really neat channel by programming enthusiasts, who write bots that play Brood War against each other 24/7. It's kinda like Brood War Saltybet, minus the actual betting component.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

Klazart's YouTube English language VODs got me into Brood War back in the day. An HD remaster with pro casters would be pretty cool. For now, I'll stick with whatever SC coverage that Tastosis and a few, select casters produce.
What ever happened to that guy? His videos were my gateway as well.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

borf posted:

What ever happened to that guy? His videos were my gateway as well.

It looks like he stopped doing Brood War VODs about 6 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/user/KlazartSC/about

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Surprise announcement at the GSL semifinals.

We get a single elimination exhibition tournament from our BW bonjwas before the GSL final.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Competitive Broodwar is older than some kids in Highschool, and its outlived competitive SC2

Crazy stuff

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Syllables posted:

Competitive Broodwar is older than some kids in Highschool, and its outlived competitive SC2

Crazy stuff
Actually competitive sc2 is still alive and well with significantly higher viewership but sure

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Synastren posted:

Surprise announcement at the GSL semifinals.

We get a single elimination exhibition tournament from our BW bonjwas before the GSL final.

It's probably gonna be done in the brood war re-release Blizzard has been teasing for a few years now. The SC1 anthology just went out of stock on B.net. https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/starcraft

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:

Col.Kiwi posted:

Actually competitive sc2 is still alive and well with significantly higher viewership but sure

Let a man dream.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Managed to catch the last few games of the ASL team final last night, and it was kind of amusing how an Sc2 player managed to roll over Flash.

It would've been cool if they did a mixed-race 3v3 as the tie-breaker match though

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
Soulkey? He hasnt played sc2 in ages dude.

edit: was extremely rude for no reason, rephrased

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 20, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Minrad posted:

It's probably gonna be done in the brood war re-release Blizzard has been teasing for a few years now.

I really enjoyed the Terran campaign in the original Starcraft. A chance to play through The Hammer Falls again using a new engine would be welcome.

On topic: it'd be great for competitive Brood War multiplayer, too.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Col.Kiwi posted:

Soulkey? He hasnt played sc2 in ages dude.

Really? Says he played in a major Sc2 tournament just last year: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/IEM_Season_X_-_Taipei

Edit: Anyway I haven't really followed Sc2 in a couple of years so I'm a bit out of the loop on the pros, watching deathballs running into each other got too boring. I'm just glad BW came back! I even used to hold a subscription to watch it back on GomTV when Tasteless would cast on his own (sometimes with Susie or SuperDanielMan) :)

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I really enjoyed the Terran campaign in the original Starcraft. A chance to play through The Hammer Falls again using a new engine would be welcome.

On topic: it'd be great for competitive Brood War multiplayer, too.

it's not a new engine, it's supposedly just an updated battle.net interface and larger resolutions (with hd models)

the entire sc1 campaign is rebuilt in sc2 though. the problem with it is kinda highlighted when I tried it: it's just loving slow and boring to play compared to the newer campaigns of SC2.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

I might be getting a little too hyped here, but HD Brood War is kind of unprecedented. Reviving the former king of esports is kind of A Big Deal, and, along with Dota 2, if it does well can usher in a new ideal of keeping the same esports just updating their look/polishing the engine now and then.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003

Minrad posted:

it's not a new engine, it's supposedly just an updated battle.net interface and larger resolutions (with hd models)

There's no info about this from Blizzard though, right? Either they're gonna keep SC1's buggy pathfinding, or they're gonna improve on it. Regardless of what direction they're taking, there's gonna be a shitstorm from the starcraft community, and I haven't noticed one...

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Yeah everything we know about it is just anonymous korean "sources" and forum posts.

At worst we get to watch Jaedong, Flash, Bisu, and Stork slug it out. But now there's an offical Blizzard post on the event mentioning that Mike Morhaime is there and making special note of Starcraft's 19th anniversary.

quote:

Since its release in 1998, StarCraft has been weaving your past and present together: 19 years of fond memories within the Koprulu Sector — playing StarCraft with friends or at LAN parties, discussing strategies, practicing your micro and macro, and watching the rise of the new heroes we cheer for in tournaments, LANs, and BarCrafts — has elevated StarCraft to an experience that every generation can share and enjoy together, even all these years later. Your continued passion, support, and dedication are the reason StarCraft has become so much more than just a game.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped make this happen and celebrate StarCraft’s 19th anniversary together.

(bonus lol at Blizzard doing more for Starcraft's 19th anniversary than they did for Diablo's 20th if this HD re-release is real)

Minera fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 21, 2017

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Give me Brood War Remastered, Blizzard :pray:
I'll settle for just an official widescreen hack, even.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I hope if it does go ahead that they put in a proper spectator mode too. Thats's something I miss from watching Sc2 esports: unit counters, resources etc.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Legacy games "sold out" in Blizzard's online store:
https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/game/legacy-games

I think it's gonna happen.
edit someone already posted this sorry

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I wonder if it'll be done with a 3D engine, or remain 2D in high-definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
I can't imagine they'd spend the amount of money it'd take to do a 3d version of BW. Plus there is no way the game would feel very similar to play and anyone who still plays brood war at all seriously would not want to adapt. Brood war unit control & micro is extremely idiosyncratic and it is all because of BWs oldschool 2d engine and the way the animations work. My guess is they're going to do a high-res facelift to the same 2d engine in order to keep the gameplay feeling hopefully-about-the-same.