Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
3D BW was their starting point with SC2 and they had to make changes for various reasons (balance shifts from better pathfinding, MBS, what the hell is a Dragoon supposed to look like, etc.). There's very little reason they'd be walking back to repeat all that at this point so I'm leaning towards the high res facelift as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Preface: I enjoy watching pro BW. I like playing it on some occasion.

Zillions magazine posted:

I might be getting a little too hyped here, but HD Brood War is kind of unprecedented. Reviving the former king of esports is kind of A Big Deal, and, along with Dota 2, if it does well can usher in a new ideal of keeping the same esports just updating their look/polishing the engine now and then.

I mean, except for the HD remakes of the Infinity Engine games, the HD remake of Age of Empires 2, and the incoming FF7 HD remake, sure. Devs are cashing in on nostalgia for 90s games pretty hard in the last couple of years.

BW is unique, but that's about it for how unprecedented it would be to remake it. :v:

Fanatic posted:

Really? Says he played in a major Sc2 tournament just last year: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/IEM_Season_X_-_Taipei

Edit: Anyway I haven't really followed Sc2 in a couple of years so I'm a bit out of the loop on the pros, watching deathballs running into each other got too boring. I'm just glad BW came back! I even used to hold a subscription to watch it back on GomTV when Tasteless would cast on his own (sometimes with Susie or SuperDanielMan) :)

Flash literally officially retired three months before that tournament, for what it's worth. Hell, Flash won his only SC2 gold two IEMs before that.
Soulkey was left teamless as of June of last year and basically left SC2 around that time. There is maybe 6 months difference between them both retiring from SC2.

As for deathball problems, that's not really the thing in pro SC2 as of Void. The game is drastically different than it was before Void. Swarm had a LOT more in common with Wings than Void has with preceeding SC2, in fact.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

The "I <3 Starcraft" event is about to start, reveal incoming?

AfreecaTV Global: https://www.afreeca.tv/2017gsl
Twitch.tv: https://www.twitch.tv/gsl
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/AfreecaTVLive

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
"Bug Fixes" makes me worry just a touch, because all the little bugs helped created the happy accident that was BW balance

Merging with Fish is pretty unexpected

Looks like remastered is mainly a cosmetic facelift, which is absolutely all it needs to be

Mixed feelings about observer mode, I personally feel that tabs took a lot of fun out of SC2 but I understand that you can't go without in 2017

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 26, 2017

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

StarCraft Remastered just got announced. Game being patched for the first time since 2001, LAN latency, matchmaking, anti-cheat, Fish server natively supported, it's going to be free.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
https://starcraft.com/en-us/

The translator lady announced SCHD before she introduced Mike Morhaime, which was pretty hilarious.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

StarCraft Remastered just got announced. Game being patched for the first time since 2001, LAN latency, matchmaking, anti-cheat, Fish server natively supported, it's going to be free.

I assumed that only the old version of Brood War was to be free.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Chacmool posted:

I assumed that only the old version of Brood War was to be free.

All of that is in 1.18 for base brood war, so yes. :v:

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
I remember describing the Stork V JD set in the ASL as "watching a man die"

Good to see Stork come back to life and get his revenge

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

All of that is in 1.18 for base brood war, so yes. :v:

Derp guess the first part of that post threw me off.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
:siren: :siren: HOLY gently caress A SCOUT:siren: :siren:

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

drat I wish this was double elim so we could see JD vs bisu

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

WDIIA posted:

:siren: :siren: HOLY gently caress A SCOUT:siren: :siren:

It's twenty-loving-seventeen and Bisu just made a Scout.

God drat I love brood war.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

It's twenty-loving-seventeen and Bisu just made a Scout.

God drat I love brood war.

I love that, even through the frenzied commentary, you can hear someone go 'hah, Scout!!'

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Synastren posted:

I mean, except for the HD remakes of the Infinity Engine games, the HD remake of Age of Empires 2, and the incoming FF7 HD remake, sure. Devs are cashing in on nostalgia for 90s games pretty hard in the last couple of years.

None of those are former esports. None of those games (arguably) redefined their genre.

I was saying unprecedented in that the remaster could make brood war the number 1 competitive RTS again, and even potentially bring it in-line with Lol/Dota/CS:GO in terms of current esport popularity. I'm very, very excited at the prospect of brood war coming back to the forefront during a time when esports is actually understood and moderately accepted, rather than what it was in the early 2000s.

It's unprecedented because we've never seen a game be a hyper competitive esport with an insanely huge scene get brought back and remastered years after its declined and its playerbase has moved on (for the most part.) Mostly because esports is so young, but seeing where this goes is a huge part of my hype with it.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am super excited about this. This must be what it felt like for all its fans when AoE2 got the HD touch up. I played so much Broodwar in middle and high school, will definitely be coming back to it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Remastered BW isn't going to get anywhere near the constant levels that LoL, CS and DotA get. I doubt even Overwatch numbers, although it could probably pass HotS.

Looking at it now with modern sensibilities, it's a janky as gently caress game with strange unit interactions and deliberately limited control options. It's not going to bring in vast numbers of new viewers, just bring back some old BW grognards that lived it in its heyday. Nostalgia sells, but it's not going to bring back the crown and fully revitalise the scene.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Remastered BW isn't going to get anywhere near the constant levels that LoL, CS and DotA get. I doubt even Overwatch numbers, although it could probably pass HotS.

Looking at it now with modern sensibilities, it's a janky as gently caress game with strange unit interactions and deliberately limited control options. It's not going to bring in vast numbers of new viewers, just bring back some old BW grognards that lived it in its heyday. Nostalgia sells, but it's not going to bring back the crown and fully revitalise the scene.

But will it top SC2?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Have you played Dota? Dota 2 is literally a game where they intentionally replicated every single stupid janky interaction that was a limitation of the original engine the game was on. You can STILL a-click the ground to drop turret aggro on you. Sure, BW has some quirks, but they add to the ceiling of the game.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Remastered BW isn't going to get anywhere near the constant levels that LoL, CS and DotA get.
Yeah, there's just no way. There may be BW tourneys happening in korea again but they're funded by fan donations and watched by a tiny fraction of the number of koreans watching games like overwatch and LoL. The big BW teams disbanded because the sponsorship money wasn't there anymore.

Meridian posted:

But will it top SC2?
Maybe. 50-50 I'd say

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The old guard are older (of course) and rusty, but it's still fun to watch them play in these exhibition tournaments. The new 4k client with observer mode will improve the watchability of Brood War big time.

I just watched VODs of the GSL finals. Poor soO. He could not answer the Adept harass, and even the Oracles threw him for a loop. He wasn't on top form, but I do think Zerg could do with the tiniest of boosts in LotV, even if it's just late game. Those end-game Protoss armies are nigh unbeatable.

Congrats to Stats. He's been an excellent competitor and has experienced tough knocks himself.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Have you played Dota? Dota 2 is literally a game where they intentionally replicated every single stupid janky interaction that was a limitation of the original engine the game was on. You can STILL a-click the ground to drop turret aggro on you. Sure, BW has some quirks, but they add to the ceiling of the game.

DOTA was balanced around these janky interactions, they're part of the game

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
You need encyclopedic knowledge of all the esoteric interactions between hundreds of heroes, items and abilities to even begin to play. I mean, you can play anyway, nothing physically stops you. Hope you like getting raged at and reported every game.

The game's called Dota "2" as in, it's a sequel. They could have tried to, you know, lighten the load a little.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Suspicious posted:

You need encyclopedic knowledge of all the esoteric interactions between hundreds of heroes, items and abilities to even begin to play. I mean, you can play anyway, nothing physically stops you. Hope you like getting raged at and reported every game.

The game's called Dota "2" as in, it's a sequel. They could have tried to, you know, lighten the load a little.

Ehhh hundreds of heroes? Not really because there's like 20 that are top-tier and the rest are garbage, unless the game has fundamentally changed since I last played.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Actually the Dota meta is pretty diverse atm. I'd say 35-40 are picked routinely, give or take.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

None of those are former esports. None of those games (arguably) redefined their genre.

I was saying unprecedented in that the remaster could make brood war the number 1 competitive RTS again, and even potentially bring it in-line with Lol/Dota/CS:GO in terms of current esport popularity. I'm very, very excited at the prospect of brood war coming back to the forefront during a time when esports is actually understood and moderately accepted, rather than what it was in the early 2000s.

It's unprecedented because we've never seen a game be a hyper competitive esport with an insanely huge scene get brought back and remastered years after its declined and its playerbase has moved on (for the most part.) Mostly because esports is so young, but seeing where this goes is a huge part of my hype with it.

Brood War didn't redefine the genre. You had two styles of RTS back then: C&C and *Craft. The Craft version was much more popular until things like SupCom extended the C&C formula a lot. And C&C eventually used the Craft formula in Generals.

SCR will not be the number 1 esport anywhere except for Korea; thinking otherwise is wishful optimism on the magnitude of thinking Hilary would have had enough dissenting electors to be POTUS. :v:
It will enjoy a brief resurgeance for a few weeks, but it will likely go back to niche status within a few months. Granted, the scene will be much bigger than it has been--the game will be free, after all, and will get exposure--but it will not dethrone anything. It might be the deathknell for SC2, but I doubt that.

poo poo, Dota2 was very nearly a remaster in the same vein.

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

Suspicious posted:

I have thousands of hours in Dota 2. I'm coming back to SC2 after going down that road

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

The I <3 StarCraft tournament had ~13,000 viewers on twitch when I was watching and it was on at odd hours in NA/EU timezones, I think the commentators said the afreeca stream had hundreds of thousands.

And that tournament was announced less than a week in advance. I think Brood War could be really popular.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I've been watching the ASL vods, they're really good especially season 2 and the goofy 2v2's from the team tournament.

Funny watching the crowds get bigger and bigger until there's people packed into the hallways.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

MF_James posted:

Ehhh hundreds of heroes? Not really because there's like 20 that are top-tier and the rest are garbage, unless the game has fundamentally changed since I last played.

There was a tournament qualifier recently where One (1) hero was not picked over the whole thing. Basically every single hero has some use, though some are more niche than others

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MF_James posted:

you have dota confused with league of legends.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Update the OP, including a gif of one of the greatest moments in BW history (sorry the gif is kinda large)

ASL 3 starts in just a couple of days

As the resident Brood War grognard, I really don't think that BWHD is going to send BW back to what it was, or even close to the big esports in Korea. But I think BWHD's greatest potential is that it gets more people playing the PC Cafes, which is where new talent is formed. The greatest threat to BW is the lack of new blood; TBLS is dominating, but they all have to go into the military fairly soon. If BWHD can help churn out some hot new stars, it would go a long way.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

WDIIA posted:

As the resident Brood War grognard, I really don't think that BWHD is going to send BW back to what it was, or even close to the big esports in Korea. But I think BWHD's greatest potential is that it gets more people playing the PC Cafes, which is where new talent is formed. The greatest threat to BW is the lack of new blood; TBLS is dominating, but they all have to go into the military fairly soon. If BWHD can help churn out some hot new stars, it would go a long way.

You aren't yalmsteen???

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
VODs for ASL season 3, I recommend the final game of Day 2 for a crazy and an usual PvZ, although Tasteless and Artosis were painfully wrong about most of the game until the end *Snow sacrifices most of his army to kill some, but not all, sunken colonies of little consequence* OH MAN I THINK SNOW IS ABOUT TO WIN THIS

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 14, 2017

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Snow got a bad group his PvT is so insane but it looks like his PvZ is still kinda bad. Having to play on Outsider probably didn't help.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQWVLa4zTMM

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually thought the winner's match was pretty cool too, even though it was a ZvZ. There were third hatcheries, which was certainly not unheard of but was super rare. Also about the last game, Shine never building a Hive was interesting, considering how good defilers are against, well, everyone. I guess he figured he never had the time and money to go there.

Anyway I've just started watching Group C, Light and the Protosses. Haven't seen any of the games so no spoilers yet, but just in general poor Light, never could get a feel for TvP and gets stuck in a triple protoss group :(

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Tonight's ASL (Day 5)

ggaemo, the gasp zerg, gets out in first place.

Stork gets sent out in last place, getting Capital "R" Rekt in his first game

Old man Pusan looks for better than anyone expected, makes it the final game

On a serious note, Stork has looked not good and defeated for awhile now, as much as it pains me to say it I wonder if we're going to lose him to the military soon

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every major DotA tournament gets like 80+ different heroes actually picked during it. It isn't LoL

I've been watching all the ASL and it's sad that Tastosis have kind of lost their enthusiasm a bit. At least with Artosis I think he just doesn't know any of the current builds anymore so he has not much to talk about, and they're kind of sick of re-teaching starcraft to nooblings.

As long as the maps stay good there'll be enough falling asleep material for a while to come though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WDIIA posted:

It'll never make hey-dey with team league and pro league, but I think it'll cement SC:BW as the standard of competitive computer games and will get some new blood into the mix. Given the audience will be older than the normal demographic, there will be marketing opportunities and young-ins will look to the aging pros and want in.