Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shine sucks rear end.

awww his kid :3

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

shine sucks rear end.

awww his kid :3

family man brutally murdered live on stage in front of sister, grandma, wife, and kids

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
I know you heard about me
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
I'm just tryin to live on
Not in a penitentiary
I'd rather be rollin chrome
The unfortunate part is that apparently during this tourney Shine's wife left him and took the kids :smith:

That's why the whole bit with his son was kinda odd :smith: :smith:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

WDIIA posted:

The unfortunate part is that apparently during this tourney Shine's wife left him and took the kids :smith:

Seriously? That's awful :stonk:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Groovelord Neato posted:

do koreans really like the type of lovely music these streams all play?

do you really like the type of lovely posts you make?

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Seriously? That's awful :stonk:

Well I was maybe slightly off with the kids but
http://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/19506686/flash-shine-set-clash-asl-season-3-finals

quote:

Shine, 25, is a father of two young boys. Yet to enter grade school, both were occasionally seen in the background of his streams. After he made it through to this season's round of 16, he promised on air that he would "be going home to the boys with hands full of chicken." Hearts melted around the nation. Fans affectionately called him the "Dad Zerg."

Less than two weeks later, he and his wife separated due to undisclosed personal reasons.

For a while, the children stayed with Shine. They waddled into the stream more often, as their mother could no longer keep them occupied elsewhere in the house. Sometimes they would yell out loud for their mother, asking her what she was doing, while Shine streamed.

As Shine advanced further in the tournament, he needed more and more time for practice. It was decided that the kids would need to stay with their mom for a while. Now his streams are silent save for his voice, some music and the sounds of the game.

"Both the hardest event of my life and the happiest event of my life occurred this season," Shine said, "so I really want to end it with a championship."

His voice was calm, stoic, but trembling.

"For me, StarCraft was my one beam of hope," he recalled. "The moments when I could simply focus on the game ... they brought me immeasurable joy during my toughest times."

The very night of his semifinals victory, he logged on for an outdoors stream to unwind and celebrate with his fans. An hour and half into the broadcast, a viewer mentioned his boys.

"I should bring Ju-wan and Ju-young to the finals. They should get to see me on stage."

Shine smiled with misty eyes.

"My Ju-wan and Ju-young," he repeated.

:smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2 kids at 25? i thought korea was an advanced nation.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 4, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:smith: Poor Shine.

On the other hand, Flash gonna Flash.

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Jesus Christ

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

WDIIA posted:

3-0 Flash, dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

You called it.

That was a disappointing final set. Perhaps the next ASL will use SC: Remastered? Fingers crossed.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WDIIA posted:

so sad :(

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Minrad posted:

family man brutally murdered live on stage in front of sister, grandma, wife, and kids

well

this is retroactively in bad taste

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

What a loving bummer. No wonder he just played like, 2.5 straight up macro games against the best macro player in history.

He probably didn't even want to be there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish there were more brood war leagues this is way too loving little brood war. gently caress.

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
They promised a new ASL Team League, I hope it starts up soon

I guess part of the drama with the SSL is that a lot of the bigger players didn't join because while they said they "didn't like the selection format," its likely that Afreeca pressured its big names not to join another company's venture. So at this point and time I'm not sure we're going to be able to have simultaneous big leagues :/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*scratching self really fast due to adrenal gland upgrade* man i'm jonesin i need my fix.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

*scratching self really fast due to adrenal gland upgrade* man i'm jonesin i need my fix.

this is a thing that's happening tonight apparently

also effort and free have a series in a few days

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhUj1BAUbX4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En6GfKEgKEc

Effort vs. Free from SSL last night

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol wtf are those shirts.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol wtf are those shirts.

korean fashion in big-white-guy sizes lol

pretty good series, should free have really gg'ed so early in game 3? he looked on tilt

Elephunk fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 10, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTdGqzrv7wQ&t=210s

v nice

:roflolmao: when he collapses screaming into his pikachu doll while jaedong watches holy poo poo

Minera fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 10, 2017

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I thought that was just going to be a 30 second thing but then it just keeps going hahaha

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

i don't really get the context - why is he so upset? got 3 hatch linged or something?

edit: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/commons/images/2/25/LarvaProfile.jpeg

things like that are the reason Koreans should let some people smoke pot

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Elephunk posted:

i don't really get the context - why is he so upset? got 3 hatch linged or something?
He had a build order win but got out microd hard and also didn't have anything to defend. (maybe, not familiar w/ zvz)

It's also just a show. It's his gimmick.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 11, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Elephunk posted:

edit: http://wiki.teamliquid.net/commons/images/2/25/LarvaProfile.jpeg

things like that are the reason Koreans should let some people smoke pot

he went 1-8 against jaedong in some scrims

that was game 9 lol

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Elephunk posted:

korean fashion in big-white-guy sizes lol

pretty good series, should free have really gg'ed so early in game 3? he looked on tilt

P. Good set

I would say it was pretty conclusively over: free had lost almost all of his army's complexity, and while Protoss can quickly remacro on Speedlots, those would have fared poorly against Efforts Mass Hydra/Lurker combo. Free was getting closed to mined out while Effort had total map control and was poised to go crazy on bases. Maybe he was thinking "this is just hosed and the whole game went wonky, time to cut my loses." But its still not a good sign to see that mindset of someone going out before the "closing engagement"

I def get the sense that Effort was playing with his food in the last game though

Minrad posted:

v nice

:roflolmao: when he collapses screaming into his pikachu doll while jaedong watches holy poo poo

Larva is the people's champ

WDIIA fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 11, 2017

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Minrad posted:

v nice

I love this so much

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary
Hey, so if you're wondering why there hasn't been anything major lately, it seems that Blizzard decided to forbid any offline tournaments until SC:R comes out

It's really dumb and lame and reminds me of the Blizzard/GOM v Kespa pissing match when SC2 came out (remember when the "super totally organic and not some sort of shill" line was that Kespa was literal child slavery that should be investigating by the UN, so buying/support SC2 was an action in support of Human Rights? How loving embarrassing that was)

Anyway, in place of ASL Team battle 2 the players got together and organized an online tournament, the TL thread is http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/bw-tournaments/524775-gtbsubstitute-for-atb-s2
No English commentary (and I don't really have time to follow atm) but it's cool that the players still want to keep things going

But there is some event of 7/30 or something, no solid details yet

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blizzard is such a garbage loving company.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

blizzard is such a garbage loving company.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I thought one of the big problems blizzard had with scbw was they had no control of it since everyone just pirated it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Virtue posted:

I thought one of the big problems blizzard had with scbw was they had no control of it since everyone just pirated it.

It's been freely available on Battle.net for months

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

blizzard, believe it or not, made a lot of money off of selling SC and BW

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Blizzard just wanted control over esports, and look at what they've done with it in every game they have had that control: sucked balls.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 19, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

WDIIA posted:

it seems that Blizzard decided to forbid any offline tournaments until SC:R comes out

lmao
Like, why?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Prav posted:

blizzard, believe it or not, made a lot of money off of selling SC and BW

i must've bought three or four of the battlechests in my life (on top of buying the initial games on release).

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Yeah for all the illegal copies of brood war I made for friends in middle school I definitely paid that back over the years with repurchases.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

WDIIA posted:

Hey, so if you're wondering why there hasn't been anything major lately, it seems that Blizzard decided to forbid any offline tournaments until SC:R comes out

Until now I thought it was just their writers who sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WDIIA
Jan 14, 2006

K-I-N-G, The AU City Don
And this mission I'm on
But not a R-A-T,
Not in a penitentiary

Mymla posted:

lmao
Like, why?

Blizzard had effectively nothing to do with Pro BW until like the year before SC2 came out and they stepped in and told Kespa "Actually we are going to be running this scene now"

So my guess is they are getting front of it now so once Remastered drops no one gets uppity

Also have to wonder if they want to drop of profile of Vanilla to reduce the inevitable "actually, old thing was better than new thing" backlash

But at the end of the day, Activision works in teemrrible, mysterious ways