Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
https://starcraft.com/en-us/

The translator lady announced SCHD before she introduced Mike Morhaime, which was pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I thought that was just going to be a 30 second thing but then it just keeps going hahaha

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
RO8 d2:

Mind lost the entire series off bad micro mistakes. He had some really good ideas, and his proxy factory on third world was ridiculously planned, but then he got almost nothing done with those vultures, and the 2nd one literally shot an egg and then got surrounded by lings while he wasn't paying attention.

Also, losing all those wraiths to the mutas while trying to be cute with micro put him in a hole he never recovered from. I just don't know what was going on with that because surely he could see he was getting shredded by the mutas.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

ABV: always build valkyries

He never had the resources to make an armory. Once those wraiths were super damaged, he was dead because he didn't have an operational second base. He spent all his resources from that point on on just remaking army and turrets.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
I think the zerg gas is just a little excessive. I don't even know if zerg needs another gas compared to other races when it comes to island maps now that people actually know how to control mutas.

Also, third world is insanely good, and it really seems like some people aren't quite sure how to expand on it yet. The games are only going to get better there imo.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Before this series, I had pretty much given up on the bottom of the bracket actually producing a watchable road to the finals. I still expect Flash to crush everybody but maybe we'll have some good games in there.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Ro4 d1

I am just not a fan of Rain at all. He shows moments of pure brilliance in control, e.g. the shuttle save on sparkle, and then in the same series, you have just real boneheaded decisions/control issues. Like on gladiator, when he attacked up the ramp on the third into hydras/sunkens... I just have no idea why you'd send your templar up there to get vision for storms instead of the zealots. It seems like with no obs and that ramp, he probably should have attacked the 2nd base instead anyway. Or when he suicided all his corsairs on transistor for basically no reason. Could have still gotten value out of those things and just threw them away.

He has to be the worst professional toss I've seen when it comes to protecting his templar also. They are almost always just lagging behind his units when attacking across the map and easy to pick off because they're alone, or they're up at the front of his army during attacks, even in front of the zealots, getting eaten by lings or not morphing into archons for ????? reasons.

I'm also having a hard time deciding whether he's just real bad at protecting/positioning obs or if hero was just really good at sniping them. It felt like a consistent issue where he'd be running from lurkers because the obs he had were too far in the middle of the battle and getting picked off, either by hydras, scourge, or even his own storms (lol). On gladiator, hero was just really on top of getting the obs in particular, but it was an issue on transistor as well. Rain kind of got away with it a little because it felt like hero was consistently a few seconds late on burrowing his lurkers in battles, though, too.

I mean, Rain has really good macro and you can tell he has a pretty good game sense a lot of the time, like his attack decisions on transistor were just right on point. Attacking the right expansions at the right time to keep ahead on bases is a pretty good strategy against a macro zerg like hero, and he definitely had the economy to throw away those units in the 2nd attack on the 4th was a good move.

But, ugh, I just don't think we're going to get as good of a finals with him in it as we would have with hero, and it has nothing to do with pvp finals. We've had some great pvp matches on these maps this season.

edit to not be as negative:
I really liked his proxy gate on third world. That bought a ton of space and time, and threw off hero's expansion locations by a ton. If he could just fix the suicide stuff with the expensive units, I think he could be one of the best, but I just don't think he's quite there yet.

pyromance fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 6, 2018

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
It was a really good series, and I think it just shows that snow can't be underestimated in pvt. I mean, we had seen some of that before, but it feels like the gap between flash and the next 2 terran is bigger than the gap between the top and bottom of basically every other race.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Day 4 of ro24 and day 1 of ro16 are not on youtube.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

In game 2, when flash was going up the ramp, it seems like effort could have saved a lot more drones if he targeted the 1 hit from death firebat at any point after the first sunken died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

a cow posted:

Yeah, I've definitely thought that about a lot of new brood war. There seem to be fewer players who are consistently top class through a season, or even through a game. The absolute best might be even better than the old days though, so it's exciting to see how things turn out the coming year.

I feel like the ASL has been pretty consistently entertaining. What I've watched of the KSL has felt hit or miss, like it wasn't a priority for some of the players. Moving to loser picking the next map this season was a good idea though. Who's bright idea was it in s1 to have winner pick the next map? What tournament does that??