Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Does anyone know when the first tournament will be shown using the remastered version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Looking forward to seeing some Dong this week.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Looks like day 4 is up on youtube finally:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu0VVj1BMu8

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Elyv posted:

Group F Ro24 I was really impressed by Sharp, he just played some incredibly solid games and didn't seemed to be bothered by anything that his opponents tried to do. I felt like his decision making and control were both really good. Jaedong also is really good again, but I felt like his scourge control and expansion timings still left a bit to be desired

E: Also I thought mini played solidly and HiyA was disappointing.

HiyA was disappointing but after all those TvP games in the round of 24 where the terran got 2-3 bases and massed up on their side of the map to doom walk over to the protoss base I thoroughly enjoyed watching mini bust him and Jaedong pick him apart with muta harass. I like seeing terran lose in Broodwar because tank/vulture seems like such an uphill battle for toss. I wish Jaedong had won the winners match but he lost so many drones to stray vultures, those packs of hydras to mines and that entire muta ball to irradiate; Jaedong didn't really deserve it after that.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

a part of me is really excited for the stupid degenerate coinflip of a night group b is going to give us

Well at least you can be certain 2 zerg will move on to the next round.

Group A I would say Flash & Mong or Sharp get out. I'm not familiar with how good sharp is at TvT and betting against Flash just seems like a bad proposition.

Group B is a craps shoot but I can say it'll probably wrap up in less than an hour. :zerg:

Group C I would go with Bisu and sSak. Mind's last TvT in the round of 24 was super sloppy with the way he threw away that lead and turned it into an insanely long match. Shuttle might be able to pull this out though. He showed he could beat terrans when he rolled over firebathero.

Group D I gotta back the Dong. The rest seem even enough.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Ro 16 Group C on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCf_EgtlyzQ

The probe harass in the first game was fun to watch; I didn't even know you could do that. None of the games were particularly close though, a little bit disappointing. Huge mistakes in a couple of the games that you wouldn't really expect at this level.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Elephunk posted:

Game 1 and 2 were super awesome in Group D. dongr 4 life

Except this is probably his last tournament and he's been knocked out so that might be the last time you see him unfortunately :(

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Rapid is okay at the start but eventually it seems like he starts talking faster and faster and filling more dead air with words and it becomes grating. During the first PvP it wasn't bad but during that TvP it was really starting to show.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

abuse culture. posted:

Why do terrans keep trying this stupid Goliath poo poo that never works vs Zerg

But it did work earlier this season, granted the zerg bonered for it to work.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
The youtube channel is best but if it's not up because of copyright infringement then http://bj.afreecatv.com/aslenglish which tends to have issues with buffering but sometimes it runs smoothly.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Speaking of when Tasteless was young and pretty, what ever happened to that Korean caster that worked with him on the GOM tournaments?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Mata posted:

Super Daniel Man? Apparently he's a capitalist now.

Yeah, that's the ticket. I seem to remember him always being kind of angry which was in stark contrast to tasteless' bubbly disposition. Tasteless doesn't seem nearly as enthusiastic any more.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I liked the TvZ this week. A lot of high action micro dependent game play instead of just build order wins or skill mismatching.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Where is Flash when you need him?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Sacsri's games were fun to watch so I don't mind that. I can't remember if it was him but the queen/broodling play against mech that we've been seeing a lot doesn't seem to pan out as well as just going mass muta when they don't bother to get valks.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
That could be. Mech's kinda slow and the counter to the queens seems to be putting on pressure so they don't have the APM to actually get broodlings off in a cost effective manner and still micro their army properly.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I'm not good at finding random games but ASL season 9 will start 2-16 according to liquipedia and it looks like Flash will be making a tournament return or at least he's seeded. Those games generally get posted to the AfreecaTV eSports channel on youtube. I can't seem to find if/when KSL season 5 will be.

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/2020_Afreeca_Starleague_Season_9

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
We'll see how the finals go but these last couple of rounds have certainly been high quality.

I really look forward to seeing more people use queens and valks. Those gooed up rines getting pinned down in ensnare was fun to watch.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

it's august 4th where is flash getting crushed or crushing while offracing

I'd be interested in seeing that. Do you happen to have a link to an english cast that you could share please?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Nostalgamus posted:

Been looking at the maps at Liquipedia:
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/2020_AfreecaTV_Starleague_Season_10#Maps

Looks like Plasma is going to be "the weird map" this tournament (that's a lot of eggs).
Although Optimizer has two geysers in the main, which will probably result in some unusal strategies as well.

Hopefully the double gas helps with muta play because that map is looking pretty open and flat. :zerg:

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

Day 2 went up yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvAzOkYX-CY

Outside of some sound work that could be a bit better the casts are pretty great. Day 2 also features better mic stuff than day1 so hopefully it continues to improve.

My favorite youtube comment points out that Tasteless should be on the other side of Artosis.

Day 2's games were pretty hit or miss. One protoss player had a really, really bad day the likes of which I haven't seen in an ASL and another zerg player had a bad day where his execution didn't hit the levels necessary for some of the things he tried to work at that level.

Looks like they hit their goal to cast the commercials? Does that mean they are translating them or wise cracking?

https://www.patreon.com/ASLenglish

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I really wish they would pad the end of the video with some b-roll so it's a fixed length like 3 or 4 hours so you couldn't tell who was going to win after the first few games, especially in these games that are longer than a best of 3. I feel like they (or someone) use to do that years ago.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
Why is that crypto thing being considered a scandal? It would be weird for them or anyone to talk positively about a crypto that they (or someone paying them) didn't have a personal stake in. All crypto is predicated on getting in early and expecting the price to go up. Buying into any crypto without the thought that you're essentially giving money to the people who already own it seems naive. The only reason to buy it is that you're expecting someone else to do the same in the future.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
A lot of those maps look like there's a lot of potential to sneak units around different sides of the map. Is Flash ever coming back? He's not in this season. He went to the military in 2019 and it's only 2 years long so I figured we'd be seeing him again.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Khorne posted:

e: I am confused about timelines here. No idea when Flash will be back.

Nah, my timeline might be wrong. I just looked at the top result on Google the first time which was an article from 2019. Looking further it looks like he might have went last year?

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
I've enjoyed the games on neo arachnoid where someone didn't just immediately die to their opponent rushing down the temples (what few of them there were). You can definitely see some players didn't practice for it. That was the only game in the round of 8 match one that seemed somewhat interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Someone in another thread reminded me of this classic by Boxer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nyZDk_mAcc&t=212s

I love the ones afterward where he's blinding observers. You'd probably see that more if infantry weren't worthless after the first couple minutes against toss :(