Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Overwatch at least has the benefit of being mostly about team fights so you can usually at least see everyone interacting together and additionally most of the important abilities in the game are super flashy and have distinct audio cues so even if you aren't spectating the right person you can tell when something important is happening. It's still not a great game to spectate but I think its better than most other FPSs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

overwatch is not a well designed or balanced games and the maps are very bad. it might be the best example of "esports as marketing".

I agree on all points except the maps where I'd say about a 1/3rd are dogshit and the rest range from passable to good. I still think it's a lot more fun to watch than hide and seek but with guns. Starcraft blows them both out of the water though.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

I'm not a fan of rapid usually but I thought he cast those games pretty well actually. He kept up with the action well and didn't spout a bunch of his pretentious poo poo, the two may be connected. Solo casting meant he had to pay close attention to what was happening on screen instead of getting lost in his own train of thought.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

So why is Flash not in this new league?

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Light vs Action Game 2:

Rapid - "These firebats are going to be a liability when the muta and lings spill in because they can't shoot up."

*Firbats massacre all the zerglings in seconds and the remaining marines shoo away the mutas*
:cmon:

Game one was extremely good despite the Rapid cast though.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Flash was 100% going to secure the 3rd and Queen was sitting on 0/0 hydras and lair tech vs a terran with 2/1 mech (soon to be 3/2) and vessel support. Goliaths aren't great vs hydras but when you're up 3 upgrades the gols will win eventually; you can see this near the end when about 12+ hydras fight Flash's 8 or so goliaths. That's normally a fight the hydras will take but they get smashed even with about half the goliaths doing their best dragoon impressions in the back. Once there was about 4ish tanks out flash would've walked across the map and won.

A great game though and Queen very nearly toppled Flash a few times. Mutas are disgustingly good.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

The Starcraft box set was my first introduction to SC 1. I was only like 10 or 11 at the time and didn't initially realize that I was playing the expansion rather than the base game. I foolishly decided to play the Terran campaign first and it just throws you in the deep end. It's fine if you are coming from SC1 campaign but I had zero clue what I was doing. I distinctly remember running my 2 tanks and 8ish marines directly into the huge spider mine minefield in front of the enemy base and losing everything. Then 2 firebats walked into my base and killed all my scvs lol.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Pure best of 1s is an awful format.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

I was ok with the first 2 sets being a Bo1 to seed the winner's and loser's match but the last series just highlighted how terrible pure Bo1s is. There is a difference between sloppy and a timing mistake of seconds that can literally cost you an entire tournament run.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

It's really good to see light just wrecking these nexus first plays, hopefully the meta moves away from it soon. Either the terran commits to an all in or has to play super defensively for the next 20 minutes. I don't want to see nexus first go away completely but it's prevalence has really killed the mid-game of TvP. A somewhat disappointingly short finals but at least it was in favor of light.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Was there a 3rd place match or does ASL not do those anymore?

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Two player maps make PvT so insanely dumb, I can't believe we haven't seen any mapmakers figure out how to prevent gas stealing. Zealots are just too strong when all Terran can make is Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Seems like it can't be too strong given the overall success of Terran pros compared to Protoss pros.

We'll see how the ASL goes but Protoss have been stomping Terran in the KCM all season long. Two Protoss players(Snow and Best) even had an all kill this season (6-0, 3 vs Z, 3 vs T).