Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually thought the winner's match was pretty cool too, even though it was a ZvZ. There were third hatcheries, which was certainly not unheard of but was super rare. Also about the last game, Shine never building a Hive was interesting, considering how good defilers are against, well, everyone. I guess he figured he never had the time and money to go there.

Anyway I've just started watching Group C, Light and the Protosses. Haven't seen any of the games so no spoilers yet, but just in general poor Light, never could get a feel for TvP and gets stuck in a triple protoss group :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think Stork got unlucky in getting build order hard countered in the first game, but he really shouldn't have lost all those probes to the DT. Even without that he was pretty far behind, though. His second game no excuses, his positioning and control in the first battle were flat out bad and he made a few other mistakes here and there. It makes me sad because Stork was possibly my favorite player

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

Stork was always a very talented Protoss who slipped up in big matches. I know he won an OSL but he was Bisu, if Bisu couldn't close.

Stork played absolutely nothing like Bisu. Bisu quite possibly has the best mechanics in the history of Starcraft, but wasn't particularly creative. Stork's mechanics were solid but not great, but he was far more creative in his builds and his large army control was superb.

That said I'll never forget that game 5 where Bisu beat Stork in the MSL finals and in like a 40 minute game Stork never upgraded Dragoon range :(

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So Group A was actually fine, the zergs put up a better than expected fight against Flash and I actually enjoy ZvZ in general.
Group B was pretty dang good, though. It looked to me, going in, like a group in which anyone could advance although I expected Bisu in first and Effort in second. Sea vs Effort was ok but it was obvious who was going to win. I don't understand how Bisu didn't expect to be busted with the build he used against Soulkey, he had absolutely no units. I was very impressed by Soulkey's decision making and hold in the winners ZvZ, Bisu vs Sea was the game of the night, that midgame drop play was so sick. Effort's midgame decision-making on CB was very confusing to me; the map is enormous and has been around forever, he has to know that the correct way to play it is to expand aggressively but instead he stayed on 3 bases and tried to go hydra/muta, an army whose purpose in life is to kill Protosses midgame army when they move out. Except it's cross spawn CB so Bisu didn't go anywhere, unsurprisingly, and he just wasted everything attacking the third and basically lost at that point. Still entertaining though.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 2, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WDIIA posted:

WATCH THE FINAL GAME OF Ro16 GROUP D

He ended up losing but JDs midgame zerg-Ultra swarm was almost the platonic ideal of the Zerg Swarm
But Last just expanded too big too quickly while JD didn't, and Last eventually starting fighting really efficiently with vultures while JD took some sloppy trades

It's funny because my reaction to this game - hell, this group - is a bit different from yours, and has kind of crystalized some thoughts that have been percolating in my head for a while. Warning: some rambling and whining ahead.
I started following professional BW in early 2008. At the time, zerg had 2 timings where they were stronger than T; between the time Lair tech comes out and the time Irradiate comes out, and in the late game when they were on 4 gas defiler ultraling. It was a Terran favored mu, but zerg could fight. I watch the games in this group - and hell, even games back in 2010 or 2011 - and I don't understand how zerg is supposed to beat a top Terran anymore. Zerg's always been disadvantaged in the matchup, but I feel like the advantages they've had in the past have basically been negated by Terran advances. Their midgame defense and control is so good that they're able to move out on the map even while the mutas are out and vessels aren't yet to stop zerg's third, and the late game mech transition lets Terran expand greedily and then choke the zerg to death. When is Zerg supposed to gain an advantage? Like, in Last vs Jaedong, I don't think Jaedong was ever ahead. He was attacking a 5 or 6 base Terran with 4 base zerg! Unless he killed 2 or 3 bases it was eventually not going to work, even though he was killing a lot of tanks and forced some bases to lift. It's incredibly frustrating to watch an incredibly played game like that from two of the top 10 players in the world and feel the entire time like I know exactly what's going to happen. I actually play Terran and I'm loving awful, I'm like 2-20 in 1.18, so this isn't about my personal experience.

For the record, my favorite game of the group was losers. JD won with 9pool speed vs 12pool 12gas which is just amazing because that's a super hard counter and hero didn't even play badly. I'm pretty excited for Flash vs Last in Ro8 because TvT is my favorite mu to spectate.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

Soulkey vs best this weekend in the quarterfinals

I think soulkey wins 2-0 (I assume it's bo3). Soulkey already beat bisu in the group stage and bisu has way better PvZ than Best.

Bisu vs Soulkey was Bisu trying to take his inbase third early and dying to hydralisks as a result, it wasn't some incredible demonstration of dominance I'd agree that Bisu's PvZ is better than Best's, but I think this match is going to be closer than you give it credit for.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Muta was traditionally the midgame transition unit that you expected to lose once Vessels came out. They don't do poo poo against heavily upgraded Terran units without upgrades and no one upgrades air past sometimes +1 because of how awful they are against Vessels, which Terran is likely to have during the phase of the game they're on bio. Once they're on mech they sometimes transition out of them, but you're not likely to be able to sit around upgrading air forever, and even if you are you still need to actually build an air army at some point and Terran can always start building vessels again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

so I haven't even finished the series yet, but game 1 of Ssak Bisu is required viewing. Not even kidding.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I loving love Shine in this tournament, he's shown some real creativity. IIRC Shine first became known when he beat Bisu in an OSL qualifier match with 5 hatch Hydra twice and man would it be funny if he did it again.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

Shine vs Mong was the coolest series ever and I hope Shine wins the whole tournament now. He wasn't lying when he said he had secret strats in the interview.

Shine must face Bisu now though :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk3uDIjF_B0

Shine beating Bisu is a thing I can see happening. If Flash is in the finals though as he's expected to be, I just don't think Shine's cute tricks will work. Flash has a lot of strengths, but I feel like what truly sets him apart is game sense and crisis management.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

TWO ZERGS IN THE TOP 4

Those games were not good

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WDIIA posted:

Due to emergency sirens going off I wasn't able to watch too closely but jesus christ There a reason "Spoiler: Flash Wins" was a meme back in the SA BW thread back in the day

But a Bo5 TvT being done in under 30 mins game time is cccrrraaazzzzyyyyyy
Seriously. I just finished watching the series, but Flash just totally outprepared Last, who was just expecting normal macro games.

WDIIA posted:

Both Round of 4 matches should be good... but I'm not happy that we'll have to suffer Rapid, SA's impression of Reddit given flesh

The last time I watched Rapid he was saying, "WOW free's taken his third and his Terran opponent has no idea and isn't doing anything about it he's so far ahead!!!" and then when the terran won he was like "wow how did Terran win when free was so far ahead?!" and I wanted to tear my hair out, especially since his co-commentator didn't know any better. Hopefully Artosis can keep things under control.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WDIIA posted:

PROGRAMMING NOTE: This week the games are on Sat and Sunday, so Shine-Bisu starts at 7 Korean time on Saturday (4 hours from now)

Fun fact of the day: Shine was 5-5 vs Bisu in the old days

man I remember how pissed people were about that first OSL series back in the day, I'm excited for this even though I think Bisu has to be favored

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WDIIA posted:

btw yall, there are no Protoss temples on Outsider

I think Rapid was thinking about Medusa

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

These are some stunning matches so far. Go Shine go! :eyepop:

Outsider is a rad as hell map, btw

Outsider was probably my favorite map back in the day, there's just so many insane possibilities. I just wish it was balanced PvZ.

I think Bisu could have won G2, Shine continued dropping for longer than he needed to I think. Diving into the middle of the zerg base just did not work out.

Series was sweet

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

That series was super weird, did someone bet Flash that he couldn't win without Factory units or something?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was confused too but bio is way more fun to watch so i'm glad he did it. who pioneered mech zerg anyway?

For a long time fantasy had infamously bad bio micro so in his first OSL semifinal back in 2008 he went pure mech a bunch(and it was actually pretty popular among terran in general for like, the next year). I think he also pioneered the bio->mech stuff but I'm not as sure on that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

oh, bisu vs soulkey happened a night ago

it wasn't great

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reminder that the finals are tonight. I'm trying to decide whether to pretend I'm still in college and wake up at 3AM to watch them

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

Feeling good about Shine's chances. Soulkey took Flash to game 5 with some wacky builds. Shine has builds prepared for prime-Flash that apparently have huge win rates in practice.

Flash beat Shine in group stage but it was on Camelot and that map is Terran favored.

I think if Shine can win 1 of the first two maps, either Circuit Breaker or Camelot, his chances are extremely good cause he should win on Outsider.

Outsider was actually dead even historically in TvZ. I think Flash wins 3-1 because I think he's generally super good against random bullshit.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The map is very zerg favored PvZ because protoss has to work very hard to get their second gas, but I don't remember a lot of TvZs on it lately.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

:smith: Poor Shine.

On the other hand, Flash gonna Flash.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

*scratching self really fast due to adrenal gland upgrade* man i'm jonesin i need my fix.

this is a thing that's happening tonight apparently

also effort and free have a series in a few days

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

I was thinking that there were ASL qualifiers this weekend. Anyone know about a stream for that?

I think afstar1 has vods. I wasn't able to watch at all, though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

firebathero is still Not Good at TvP

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv posted:

firebathero is still Not Good at TvP

okay so he might win g2 but what the hell is this game

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

5 shield batteries on one screen, I think that's a first for me in watching pro play

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

ASL is only going to be broadcast on Afreeca, no twitch or YouTube

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Group A in 4 hours. I'm too old to stay up or wake up in the middle of the night for these the way I did in college so hopefully afreeca vods aren't total rear end

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Light losing 2 TvZs and winning a TvP to not get out feels like some sort of bizarro world, but good for Larva

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

(Day 2 spoilers)

Someone tell me how Stork won g5. That was some vintage 2010 Stork, holy poo poo. That push breaking was immaculate after he lost those first two bases.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Everyone make sure you watch Group D loser's :siren:

I've spent way more time than I'd care to admit watching starcraft and I don't think I've seen a game like it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Group F Ro24 I was really impressed by Sharp, he just played some incredibly solid games and didn't seemed to be bothered by anything that his opponents tried to do. I felt like his decision making and control were both really good. Jaedong also is really good again, but I felt like his scourge control and expansion timings still left a bit to be desired

E: Also I thought mini played solidly and HiyA was disappointing.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zillions magazine posted:

God drat Group B just gonna be muta/link for like 4 solid loving hours

lol at the idea of 5 zvzs lasting 4 hours, even with commercial breaks

Zorodius posted:

Would it be unfair to say that Jaedong really needs to work on his macro? He keeps making these fierce tactical plays with brilliant micro and an 80 supply deficit, doing next-level backflip kung-fu while his opponent just goes, "uh, okay" and rolls over him with the next couple waves of sheer numbers.

Kind of? I haven't been watching streams at all so maybe he's different there, but I was really impressed with his early/midgame play, but thought his lategame expansion timings, scourge control, and to a lesser extent defiler control were underwhelming. The point is I dont' think it's his macro that's bad, it's that he just doesn't have enough money coming in.

(also Sharp was the best player in that group that day and totally deserved to go out first)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zillions magazine posted:

Didn't sea have some like ridiculous poo poo going on with his ex-wife and the custody of his kids during that last tournament? Maybe he just needed a break/is still dealing with that.

Wasn't this Shine last season?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually like ZvZ quite a bit so yeah I enjoyed that group.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I feel like the last time I did the campaign I just a-moved goon/reaver everywhere.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Last night's games weren't bad, but they weren't amazing either

I did like Mind's winner's interview, though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

they really should cancel these games if they can't have both guys casting. i legit don't watch if one is missing.

If more than like 10-15% of the audience doesn't speak Korean, I'd be surprised. I think the foreign audience is a bonus, not something they actually build around.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It was a very good set of games overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mata posted:

I think it would be cool to see a buff to maelstrom aoe (the dark archon spell), and maybe allow ghosts to deal damage under dark swarm. How much of an idiot am I?

Ghosts would still be pretty useless if they could do damage under swarm. Also it would be kinda weird mechanically