Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Game 4 was great but man that was a disappointing series, just a lot of weird multitasking mistakes and super early wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

That's ZvZ in a nutshell. It's almost always over in a flash and comes down to who made more micro mistakes than anything.

The number of times they lost a drone to a single zergling without even reacting was very frustrating to me when watching a quarterfinals match. I actually think ZvZ is a deceptively deep and skill-intensive matchup, and I thought some of the play and decision making was below the level I'd expect in the quarterfinals.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

man, Killer got absolutely trounced

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

a cow posted:

time for flash to 3-0 mind in less than five hours

accurate

G1 and G2 were pretty good, but I do like me a TvT

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rapid solo cast :chloe:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

WDIIA posted:

ffffffffffffffffuck that

Between that and the results I'm glad I had other things to do last night

Game 1 is probably worth the watch but maybe on mute

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mike N Eich posted:

This is the first I've heard this guy and he's not terrible until battle start and then he screams his head off? Maybe he shouldn't do that.

He was really bad in the ZvZ series and his game knowledge generally is lacking. Credit where credit's due, he's improved a lot from the first time I saw him cast Brood War, where he thought a 3 base Protoss had a huge lead over a 2 base Terran, but his knowledge is still not quite there.

That series was disappointing, Bisu's decision making in PvT has never been his strong point and showed again at a few points this series. Expected result, though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB91lVZc3wU

Haven't watched it yet, very excited to watch.

Flash wins

Game 3 is pretty solid

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Grrrr... started out as a random player and I think still played random when he won an OSL super early in BW, but that was a very long time ago.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually thought the other semi was way more interesting. I think larva and his ling stream might have cracked the mech transition? Too early to tell though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't understand why people call midgame TvT slow when there is so much poo poo going on constantly

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Potential maps for the next ASL released

Sparkle is crazy, not sure how I feel about any of them yet because my phone screen isn't large enough

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Wildcard match to fill Bisu's spot(in Korean)

http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/30999587

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm down with these, especially the crazy island map.

Good news, because they kept a (heavily modified) version of the map for the Ro24 http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/brood-war/531587-asl5-round-of-24-maps

Did anyone else watch the wildcard? I didn't think it was a particularly good set of games, but hey pro StarCraft.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

dogmother1776 posted:

Mong eating a hotdog and Snow's games are the highlight of ASL5 so far

My favorites so far are probably Stork v Horang2 on Transistor and Mind v Rush on Sparkle.

I might like mirror matches

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I thought it was a pretty garbage set of games except for the last one, honestly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I was super impressed by how good valks appear to be against corsairs; I've played and watched a bunch of starcraft but I can honestly say that I had no idea how that was going to go.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rapid and this starcraft 2 guy are not a great starcraft 1 commentating team

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 1, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Antares posted:

The first three games were incredible

:emptyquote:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3JiQeWHHY

I usually just search for "afreecatv" on youtube and it pops up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Best vs hero showmatch

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's PvP, half the games being fluky or BO wins seems right

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah, it was definitely a great series.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Third World is a zerg favored map(see game 1 for why) so Mind may have felt that he needed to do something weird.

That was the one thing I didn't like about the series, the map pool as a whole was quite zerg favored.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I actually like Sparkle but it's absolutely awful TvZ. Third World is better there but I think it's still fairly significantly zerg favored. Transistor is slightly Zerg favored but it's fine and Gladiator is even, I think.

I have to say, I am excited to see if Flash can win a tournament on a map pool that basically reads "gently caress TERRAN", since as far as I'm concerned he's still the favorite.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mini vs Larva was not a good series

Larva looked absolutely outclassed

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I honestly thought Flash played subpar(by his own insane standards, obviously), and that he might have managed to eke out a win over Snow had he played better. The maps gave him a lower margin of error but it wasn't just the maps

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

First game was super great too

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mymla posted:

Those were some hella mild finals.

just PvP things

I felt like Snow was pretty outclassed mechanically; he had 1K+ minerals for a lot of g1 off of just 2 bases. In g4 when he was in the middle of dealing with crisis management he had a ton of idle probes at his secret third and you could see it in a few other points too

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There was an above average amount of PvP in this tournament, which is unfortunate because it is the worst matchup in the game in my opinion. That said, Transistor might be the best PvP map I've ever seen so that was some consolation

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PvP is almost as likely to be a BO win as a ZvZ, but PvP bo wins are boring while ZvZ bo wins have a bunch of neat ling micro. The reason I like Transistor in PvP is that everyone one gate expands on it so we're way more likely to get a real game, and PvP on the rare occasions that someone doesn't just die to goon/reaver or dts it's actually a solid matchup.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

KSL(new league that includes blizzard sponsorship and most of the good players except for Flash) started a couple days ago with Bo5s of Last vs Mini and Rain vs Movie. Uncut twitch vod is here.

I haven't watched any starcraft since the ASL, but I was pretty surprised that Last went out 3-0 to Mini. Movie getting thrashed by Rain wasn't surprising, although those games were pretty fun.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

These games have not been good so far, somehow my favorite series so far is the PvP and I usually don't like that matchup at all. Group C is tonight, hopefully they'll manage to have good games this time.

ASL 6 map shortlist has been released. Labyrinth is absolutely insane. In addition to being a 5 player map with double gas mains, they have these flags on the ramps that workers can pick up and you can't go in without picking them up. You can get out, but only by mineral walking. I have no idea what to make of it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Warning: Rapid and NoRegret casting group A at least, you may want to watch the Korean vods, but here's the English links anyway

Group A

Group B

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

After the way Last thrashed Jaedong in KSL I really expect a similar thing to happen here.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

They got takedowns over music, which is too bad because Group D Winners is one of my two favorite games in the ASL so far

anyway

Ro24 Group D
Ro16 Group A

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

that group was great

no long macro games but man I've seen a lot of long macro games in my time watching starcraft, I'm still happy

E: poor Mini, gets first in the group and still has to play Flash in the Ro8

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 4, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aces High posted:

that would require Flash not consistently being 1 step ahead and being unrelenting in pressing Mini. Honestly, game 2 seemed to be the one where Mini actually stood a chance to win a match and he just couldn't out micro Flash

I felt bad for Mini honestly. He wins his group, and says something along the lines of "I hope I won't have to face Flash in the next round", and then Flash gets second in his group. If you watch for a bit after game 2 when they're watching the replays, you can almost see Mini say something along the lines of "c'mon man". Flash is just...Flash.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zillions magazine posted:

I'm trying to avoid spoilers about this series but re game 1: i'm so glad valkyries are being used, i was hoping that the remaster (which notably fixed the valkyrie bug) would allow pros to actively take advantage of them in tvz

Pros started using valks back in 2009 and I don't think the sprite bug would have been relevant in the spots where they were built that game.

I'm still a full KSL day behind and effort v last had some great games and some innovative ideas but I'm pretty sure the best part of Starcraft in the last week is Artosis repeatedly dunking on Tasteless for his unironed shirt in KSL game day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LLCoolJD posted:

I still have no idea how he has time for 3 young kids, a wife, and all of those solitary hours spent watching and playing Starcraft. Plus travel.

Also, Valks rule but surprise tactical burrow is the bomb.

Oh don't get me wrong, that was a great game that's topped off a legitimately great week of games and it was super exciting to me. I've seen people use that before, but never in that way. effort v last g5, Action v where g3, Rain v Light g3, and even effort v last g3 are all legitimately great games and I know there are other good games I haven't mentioned even though I haven't finished ksl day 2 yet because they're not good enough to be mentioned with these others. I'm not sure any of them brought me as much joy as Artosis and Tasteless in KSL day 1 though.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 22, 2018