Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MF_James posted:

Ehhh hundreds of heroes? Not really because there's like 20 that are top-tier and the rest are garbage, unless the game has fundamentally changed since I last played.

you have dota confused with league of legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a shame brood war is still pretty much the only good esport.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a bit peeved at how short that series was tbh!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i almost can't watch these matches when it's not tastosis. if i'm catching up via vods i'll skip whole days if tasteless is gone. stop having a life outside starcraft man.

that being said, tvz is the lord's one true matchup.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol soulkey musta thought are you loving kidding me.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was confused too but bio is way more fun to watch so i'm glad he did it. who pioneered mech zerg anyway?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

flash is stupid good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

korean streamers are worse than pewdiepie.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do koreans really like the type of lovely music these streams all play?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shine sucks rear end.

awww his kid :3

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

2 kids at 25? i thought korea was an advanced nation.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jun 4, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish there were more brood war leagues this is way too loving little brood war. gently caress.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

*scratching self really fast due to adrenal gland upgrade* man i'm jonesin i need my fix.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol wtf are those shirts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blizzard is such a garbage loving company.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Prav posted:

blizzard, believe it or not, made a lot of money off of selling SC and BW

i must've bought three or four of the battlechests in my life (on top of buying the initial games on release).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

still lolling about blizzard killing the new brood war scene for their rerelease.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

momentum was building with two great gsls and then everyone was like why aren't there any tourneys and it turns out blizzard asked them to stop in the lead up to remastered.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

Isn't this the exact opposite of what you want to do if you're blizzard? :psyduck:

yes lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fanatic posted:

:agreed:

They should add a red v blue team colours option like Warcraft 3 and AOE2 have.

brood war already has this. there's a setting where one side is green and one is red.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jfc blizz is now releasing those dumbass dev update vids for this.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they really should cancel these games if they can't have both guys casting. i legit don't watch if one is missing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm an american and i demand they cater to my whims!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fanatic posted:

Yeah, I laughed when they were reminiscing about Tasteless' GomTV days and Artosis brought up the Panda Bear guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdfPsKWyQik :D

Edit: I forgot they had unit counts back then. I wonder what ever happened to that and why ASL was lacking even resources counts for so long (until HD came out), while GomTV had it 7 years ago.

love that video still getting play after all these years.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

are those their real ages or the dumbass ways koreans do age?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come there hasn't been a competitive game that comes close to as good as brood war.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nope. fps are terrible spectator games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

A game doesn't have to be a good spectator sport to be a good competitive game.

Maybe to be a good eSport, but lots of unwatchable games seem to succeed on that front so who knows.

you're quite right, i should've been more specific. i can only think of brood war and assorted fighting games as competitive games that also make good spectator ones. dota maybe? everything else is garbo that i don't understand having an audience.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AtillatheBum posted:

Overwatch at least has the benefit of being mostly about team fights so you can usually at least see everyone interacting together and additionally most of the important abilities in the game are super flashy and have distinct audio cues so even if you aren't spectating the right person you can tell when something important is happening. It's still not a great game to spectate but I think its better than most other FPSs.

overwatch is not a well designed or balanced games and the maps are very bad. it might be the best example of "esports as marketing".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AtillatheBum posted:

I agree on all points except the maps where I'd say about a 1/3rd are dogshit and the rest range from passable to good. I still think it's a lot more fun to watch than hide and seek but with guns.

you are quite right, i'm just a big baby when it comes to poorly balanced and designed games getting competitive scenes solely due to developers using it as marketing (lol, smite, loving clash of clans, pretty much any multiplayer game now). fighting games, brood war, dota all had scenes naturally grow (and then were taken over by companies to use as marketing!).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i really don't like them zooming out you get used to watching the game a certain way for two decades.

edit: lol what is this poker box commercial.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 12, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all mirrors are lovely but yeah pvp is the least bad by a lot. tvt is too slow and drawn out, zvz has too few units and is too quick.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a lot of stuff is going on but it's attrition. attrition tends to be considered slow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why can blizzard do that? kespa ran starcraft for years without em.

that just made me remember blizzard killed all the hype the asl had been building just so they could debut their reskin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the prize pool is a rounding error on their balance sheet. this is a company putting tens of millions of dollars into a league for a terrible competitive game. it's really loving dumb for that forced hiatus - you would've had way more hype for remastered if asl kept going right up until launch.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah there'd been a bug with valkyries' missiles all these years and they fixed it. weird they let it stand for so long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i legit don't watch casts if they aren't tastosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it really is a shame that the only esports that even sniff at brood war are fighting games or dota (and the last international's final make a holy trinity of greatest moments with daigo parry and boxer triple bunker rush). all the rest of the "esports" are trash in comparison.